Is MS focusing too much on buying up exclusives instead of making new IPs?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

I look at the exclusive games that have come out for the xbox 360 and I look at the exclusives that have come out for the ps3. I see MS with Halo wars, fable 2, gears 2, too human,ninja gaiden 2, banjo kazoui(which would probably do better on wii). I see ps3 with LBP, MGS4,Killzone 2, Motorstorm 2, infamous, god of war 3, Resistance 2, MAG,Socom, etc......

Anyway is it just me or does it seem like MS is being lazy when it comes to making new creative games for the console when they can just bail out by buying up supposed to be exclusive games from another console?

gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts

That's something Microsoft will have to figure out in time.

The good thing out of all the Sony failure has been Sony amping up it's first party division like crazy, practically all of its exclusives are first party, so now they dont have to rely on anyone.

Conjuredevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Conjuredevil
Member since 2004 • 1409 Posts

I look at the exclusive games that have come out for the xbox 360 and I look at the exclusives that have come out for the ps3. I see MS with Halo wars, fable 2, gears 2, too human,ninja gaiden 2, banjo kazoui(which would probably do better on wii). I see ps3 with LBP, MGS4,Killzone 2, Motorstorm 2, infamous, god of war 3, Resistance 2, MAG,Socom, etc......

Anyway is it just me or does it seem like MS is being lazy when it comes to making new creative games for the console when they can just bail out by buying up supposed to be exclusive games from another console?

odin2019

till a limit yes this is true but when you think the other way ther bringing "key" exclusive franchises multiplat to attract more gamers.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

So Too Human, Kameo, Viva Pinata, and Gears of War aren't good enough?

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it isn't as though they haven't been trying.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
I made a thread like this a while ago and I think so, MS is just a Suit, Sony give a lot more to the gaming world.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

"I see MS with Halo wars, fable 2, gears 2, too human,ninja gaiden 2, banjo kazoui(which would probably do better on wii)."

Which of those exclusives did they "buy up" exactly? :?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I made a thread like this a while ago and I think so, MS is just a Suit, Sony give a lot more to the gaming world.Eddie-Vedder
Sony appreciates your loyalty! Your Sony medal of valour is on its way.
ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts

I made a thread like this a while ago and I think so, MS is just a Suit, Sony give a lot more to the gaming world.Eddie-Vedder

you should thank ms for xbl without it psn would be an afterthought

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

:| You listed 6 sequels on the Ps3.

But i sort of agree, though more for Ninty, i don't think they have released a single new first party IP this gen on Wii...

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Its neither Microsoft or Sony's fault that third party developers continue to make sequels.

If we look at just first party titles between the two, i think the amount of new IPs seem even.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

That's why they're taking pre-existing and already successful IPs from Sony.

GTAIV, DMCIV, RE5, FFXIII, they tried for MGS4, and now they're trying for Tekken 6.

MS doesn't care nearly as much about new IPs as they do about getting the PS2 fans to buy 360.

Regardless, 1st and 2nd party games like (Halo, Resistence, etc.) will be the only things that can save this generation of consoles.

digi198816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 digi198816
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts

"I see MS with Halo wars, fable 2, gears 2, too human,ninja gaiden 2, banjo kazoui(which would probably do better on wii)."

Ninja-Hippo

umm...what he means to say is MS is buying off exclusives, meaning..they are taking away exclusives from ps3/etc instead of coming up anything new themselves. Ex: DMC4/FFXIII/etc

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 odin2019
[QUOTE="odin2019"]

Conjuredevil

till a limit yes this is true but when you think the other way ther bringing "key" exclusive franchises multiplat to attract more gamers.

The whole point of exclusive is to just have those games on your console though. I would think that they would focus more on that area instead of trying to buy up other games. I guess what works, works but its them saying hey we think you all have the best set of games and we want one instead of trying to make a really great game ourselves we will just buy it.

I know business is business but most people like companies for their own creative ideas and usually when a company tends to just copy off of another company it usually doesn't result in as much success. Example would be apples Ipod.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
I could care less. As long as kickass games come on my console and save me $400 let them buy all the exclusives they want.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Exclusives are exclusives. The problem, as I see it, isn't with MS buying up exclusives, but with their obsession with getting all the main PS games to go multiplat. Or maybe that is what you are referring to.

I see this as a problem because people BUY consoles for the exclusive titles. Not the multiplats. And considering GTA4 going multiplat couldn't even move consoles, I think MS obsessing over multiplats is a waste of their time and energy. It would be better spent on exclusives and new IPs.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

umm. no? They're getting exclusive DLC content rights with GTA 4 and Fallout 3, but in terms of buying up exclusives instead of IP's, I don't agree.

New IP's off the top of my head - Gears of War, Too Human, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Bioshock (yes, otw to PS3 but still relevant as a Microsoft-pushed app)

PS3 has.. Resistance, Motorstorm, Little Big Planet...

I'm not counting any sequels unless the first game was also on the PS3 or 360. I think MS is doing more than buying up exclusives/sequels. They're ALSO funding new IP's quite a bit. MS is pushing for the better game library this gen and they're doing a pretty good job so far.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 odin2019

But i sort of agree, though more for Ninty, i don't think they have released a single new first party IP this gen on Wii...

angelkimne

I thought I would just list recent stuff...I could add in uncharted, heavenly sword, and lair. And besides most of MS's exclusive games are sequels anyway so I don't see where your coming from with that?

Avatar image for Shadow_of_Kirby
Shadow_of_Kirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Shadow_of_Kirby
Member since 2007 • 589 Posts

That's Microsoft for you.

It's not really all that surprising.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
Um I bought a 360 because of the new ips on the system.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 angelkimne

Exclusives are exclusives. The problem, as I see it, isn't with MS buying up exclusives, but with their obsession with getting all the main PS games to go multiplat. Or maybe that is what you are referring to.

I see this as a problem because people BUY consoles for the exclusive titles. Not the multiplats. And considering GTA4 going multiplat couldn't even move consoles, I think MS obsessing over multiplats is a waste of their time and energy. It would be better spent on exclusives and new IPs.

ZIMdoom
If you believe that the console race would look the same if GTA 4 stayed ecxlusive then you are severly mistaken.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I would say they are probably spending too much money on it, when they become like this they look like the did with the first Xbox, hemeraging cash to establish itself, but the Xbox360 doesnt need to do this so why try so hard...I know damaging sony's game lineup is a good idea...but how much money is it worth to the shareholders?
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

digi198816

umm...what he means to say is MS is buying off exclusives, meaning..they are taking away exclusives from ps3/etc instead of coming up anything new themselves. Ex: DMC4/FFXIII/etc

I'm pretty sure it didn't take much persuading to get those games to go multiplat. With rising development costs, the opportunity to double your effective market would be very appealing to any game developer with sense.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 angelkimne
[QUOTE="angelkimne"]

odin2019

I thought I would just list recent stuff...I could add in uncharted, heavenly sword, and lair. And besides most of MS's exclusive games are sequels anyway so I don't see where your coming from with that?

I'm just pointing out that Sony arren't exactly angels in that category either, all 3 company's have that problem
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 too_much_eslim

ZIMdoom
Actually your only mad because your a fanboy. MS knew they had to get games that were associated with PS if they wanted a chance this gen. If people like to stick to ttheir favorite franchises then it only makes sense why MS needs to even the playing field.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#25 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

MS and the x360 is actually doing great on software:

• Highest attach ratio of any console
  • 14+ million-selling games

New IPs will come, but it just takes time.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 odin2019

I can remember back when the playstation was starting out and they took Square from nintendo and that was big but there was so many other games that came out for the playstation that were completely new creative titles like jet moto, destruction derby, wipeout, crash bandicutt, 2extreme, twisted metal, warhawk, and several other games that came out for it.

Anyway I truley believe the success of the playstation came with their ability to put out new creative games. Of course with the ps using disc helped them succeed as well.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I think MS loves third party support. They are a commpany that makes money from PC OS, but they don't sell too much outside of OS and Office, nor do they make pc hardware. They have a good understanding that you don't have to make everything in order to be a success.

In all honesty, your Sony list seems equal to or less than what MS has coming out. Especially when almost all of the 360 titles you listed will be out in 08 and almost all of the Sony titles will be out in 09. MS relies on 3rd party. It has a few sure fire first party titles, but it relies on having the best selection. It takes alot of PC games and alot of PS3 games.

PS, if we will say Banjo would do better on Wii, can we also say LBP would do better on Wii. Cows hated Galaxy and it wasn't because of gameplay. In fact, they rarely entioned gameplay. The #1 complaints were bright colors and a cute character. Well, that describes LBP to a tee. I can see LBP being like metacritic AAA or AAAA but cows just not playing the game because anything without decapitations is ruining gaming.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

too_much_eslim

Actually your only mad because your a fanboy. MS knew they had to get games that were associated with PS if they wanted a chance this gen. If people like to stick to ttheir favorite franchises then it only makes sense why MS needs to even the playing field.

That's fine if MS buys up PS exclusives, but it doesn't add value to the system.

It's like a fist fight, if MS takes a PS3 exclusive and makes it multiplat then it's like blocking a punch, now if MS would only come out with exclusives of their own, it would be like throwing a punch. But instead of throwing a punch MS just stands there and cries "how come nobody likes me I blocked all of PS3's punches."

Does that make sense? Probely not. Sorry.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 odin2019

I think MS loves third party support. They are a commpany that makes money from PC OS, but they don't sell too much outside of OS and Office, nor do they make pc hardware. They have a good understanding that you don't have to make everything in order to be a success.

In all honesty, your Sony list seems equal to or less than what MS has coming out. Especially when almost all of the 360 titles you listed will be out in 08 and almost all of the Sony titles will be out in 09. MS relies on 3rd party. It has a few sure fire first party titles, but it relies on having the best selection. It takes alot of PC games and alot of PS3 games.

PS, if we will say Banjo would do better on Wii, can we also say LBP would do better on Wii. Cows hated Galaxy and it wasn't because of gameplay. In fact, they rarely entioned gameplay. The #1 complaints were bright colors and a cute character. Well, that describes LBP to a tee. I can see LBP being like metacritic AAA or AAAA but cows just not playing the game because anything without decapitations is ruining gaming.

Senor_Kami

Well if you wish I will add halo 4. I do understand that you can make money by buying up the competitions stuff or using the same products to make profit....I didn't say you couldn't do that and make money. All I'm saying is that it looks like they lack creativity when it comes to putting out new games or maybe they lack confidence in those games thus they have not shown anything new for quite some time.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts
I could care less. As long as kickass games come on my console and save me $400 let them buy all the exclusives they want.Aljosa23
Saves me time - Seconded !
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

DaBrainz

That's fine if MS buys up PS exclusives, but it doesn't add value to the system.

It's like a fist fight, if MS takes a PS3 exclusive and makes it multiplat then it's like blocking a punch, now if MS would only come out with exclusives of their own, it would be like throwing a punch. But instead of throwing a punch MS just stands there and cries "how come nobody likes me I blocked all of PS3's punches."

I see where you're going with this. You claim that with all the muti-plats now, 1st/2nd-party titles will be the difference makers in the war this gen. It makes sense to an extent, but 3rd-party exclusives still do exist (MGS4 and Gears of War for example) though in lower numbers than last gen. So they still somewhat factor in for this contest.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

angelkimne

If you believe that the console race would look the same if GTA 4 stayed ecxlusive then you are severly mistaken.

No, he is saying that just paying for a game to go MULTIPLAT is not selling their console. If MS is going to buy people off, he is saying it's better to get it exclusive rather than multiplat.

There is no doubt if GTA4 was exclusive on either console it would have moved consoles. The fact that it being multiplat didn't do ANYTHING for hardware sales actually backs up his opinion. If MS say would have used that 50 million dollars on 2-3 exclusive games instead of DLC for GTA4 that didn't even move consoles, they might be better off.....that's his point.

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts

MS and the x360 is actually doing great on software:

• Highest attach ratio of any console
  • 14+ million-selling games

New IPs will come, but it just takes time.

LosDaddie
wow you just addmitted why ps 3 fans are doing the waiting game. new ip's take time. most of sony exclusive this gen are new ip's.
Cipher92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cipher92
Member since 2003 • 320 Posts
I'll have to call BS on this. THey may not make gems IN house but they fund the making of the games and thus 2nd party developer is the term. MS gives WAY more to the gamers than sony, buying exlcusive is point in case. Not onyl that, but superior live experience, large system wide updates, and extended warranties on all defective units for free, is what i consider great love for gamers... more than Sony's false promises.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

DaBrainz

Um MS does have new ips that are first party and second party.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

digi198816

They do both. They continue to make first party games and they steal exclusives from Sony. 360 gamers win in the end, i dont see how them buying up 3rd party exclusives takes away from their first party lineup.

russdmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 russdmoore
Member since 2004 • 261 Posts

odin2019

UMM...isn't MGS4,Killzone 2, Motorstorm 2, god of war 3, Resistance 2, Socom all part of an already established game series. What is new about them?

Avatar image for LiquidSnakesdad
LiquidSnakesdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LiquidSnakesdad
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts
I think they are, they lost bungie and fasa studios so the only 1st party developers they have are rare and lionhead.
hi381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hi381
Member since 2005 • 744 Posts

sonicmj1

Gears isn't first party ..neither is Too human it's just published by Micro

What people don't get is that after Bungie left Micro, Micro only has Rare and ... something else as there first parties.

They buy out exclsuives like they did with Bioshock ( timed ) or they help publish alot of their exclusives like NG 2. Gears isn't first party (Micro doesn't own Epic). Bungie is no longer first party ( meaning after their contract ends with Micro they will be able to make mulitiplatform games). While sony has SCEE, SCEA, Insomnaic, Japan Studios, Incognito, Sony San Monica, Zipper, Slant Six, Naughty Dog, SOE online, now NCSoft ...etc making first party titles

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Well games like Gears of War, Too Human, Mass Effect, Bioshock(at first), Ninja Gaiden 2 would all be multiplat and released on the same day if MS did not step in and buy them out(except for Bioshock) right?

MS's first party developers...Rare and Lionhead are slow just like Sony's first party and Mistwalker is fast like Insomniac but their games have not been too hot yet.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

hi381

I don't think Sony owns Insomniac, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, or Sucker Punch, which would mean that Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, and Infamous are all technically not first-party.

But they may as well be. It's the same kind of thing, if you ask me.

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts
well would you rather have gta 4 dlc or a whole new game??? ms is not being smart sure they've stole a couple of games from sony but has any of them given ms the upper hand. in software yes because there's more users but hardware no... i rather sony put their money into 1st party games instead of 3rd party. its not like im not getting the game. ms riding on its historical games isn't going to last. gears is the last big game i see from ms. but hey they got ff13??? wow like i couldn't get that on the ps3.:roll:
hi381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hi381
Member since 2005 • 744 Posts
[QUOTE="hi381"][QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

sonicmj1

I don't think Sony owns Insomniac, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, or Sucker Punch, which would mean that Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, and Infamous are all technically not first-party.

But they may as well be. It's the same kind of thing, if you ask me.

They have contracts with all these companies ( making them all first party publishers )...and by the way Sony does own Media Molecule and Naughty Dog
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
No I think they have made some really good first party IPs this gen, gears of war ring a bell? Secondly they are trying to gobble up market share and how do you do that? Well you bring games to your system that were exclusive to your competition at one point. So I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing, infact I believe they are putting a lot of work into trying to make the 360 the console of choice.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#45 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
If MS doesn't figure out what they're doing as far as 1st party goes next gen may spell disaster. Third party exclusives seem to be going the way of the rotary engine.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

If MS doesn't figure out what they're doing as far as 1st party goes next gen may spell disaster. Third party exclusives seem to be going the way of the rotary engine.Tiefster

Similar to what the PS3 is going through right now this gen?

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts
[QUOTE="angelkimne"]

odin2019

Did you just list Heavenly Sword and Lair? :lol:

His point is you're claiming Sony are doing more for gaming than anyone else, but you just listed a load of sequels. It's not always a case of MS just "buying everything". What if developers are unhappy with the outlook of their sales if they were just on the PS3? How do you think manufacturers even get exclusive games? Developers don't just say "SONY AER TEH BEST" LETS MAEK A GAEM!". The games industry works just like every other section of the entertainment industry.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
  • Gears of War
  • Mass Effect
  • Kameo
  • Too Human
  • Lost Oddssey
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Blue Dragon

Are all new IP's secured by MS.

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts
  • Gears of War
  • Mass Effect
  • Kameo
  • Too Human
  • Lost Oddssey
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Blue Dragon

Are all new IP's secured by MS.

Blackbond

there's also

• Viva Pinata
  • Crackdown
  • Saints Row
  • Dead Rising
  • Eternal Sonata
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

ZIMdoom

The problem with bringing GTA into this argument is the fact that it's never been exclusive. Every GTA game has been released on multiple platforms. I've always found it odd that Sony fans equate GTA as being a Sony franchise despite the fact thatis has appeared on several competing platforms.

Besides, MS has had plenty of new IPs on the Xbox 360 already such as Blue Dragon, Kameo, Lost Odyssey, Gears of War, Crackdown, Saints Row, Dead Rising and Mass Effect with several of those being exclusive.

I also find the basis of this thread to be ironic seeing as the topic creator listed a bunch of sequels to back up his point. Yeah, lots of new IPs in that list. :roll: