Is Mount And Blade a better RPG franchise than the Elder Scrolls?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

uninspiredcup  Online

Poll Is Mount And Blade a better RPG franchise than the Elder Scrolls? (31 votes)

Mount And Blade is better 48%
Elder Scrolls 52%

Is Mount And Blade better?

No Caption Provided

• 
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Both are different kind of games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:

Nope.

Action RPG's.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Elder Scrolls, role-playing?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Although i love Mount & Blade a lot and find it very fun, i dont not think its a better game overall. It might have a bunch of better experiences, but it also as some issues with end game content that Elder Scrolls excels at. I think overall, id enjoy an Elder Scrolls game a little more maybe. Would still be close though. But dat Morrowind tho!

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Well Vanilla TES is garbage.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

ES hands down is one of the best RPGs. I find it funny how people claim ES isn't a RPG when it has one of the deepest most bizarre lore you will ever get into

Loading Video...

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Very different games, TES wins because it has more polish if we are comparing both games at release.

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Nope.

Action RPG's.

Mount and Blade is a Grand Strategy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup  Online

@Kell_the_Gamer said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Nope.

Action RPG's.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By foxhound_fox

@Ballroompirate said:

ES hands down is one of the best RPGs. I find it funny how people claim ES isn't a RPG when it has one of the deepest most bizarre lore you will ever get into

Loading Video...

Lore is story-telling. Role-playing involves building a world that reacts to your decisions as a player. The more the ES series has gone along, the less and less role-playing it's had. Even in the broader "character customization" sense, you can't even have a class in Skyrim. You literally can do everything with a single character. Oblivion was the same.

With mods, the games become something of value, but the vanilla games are a bare-bones toolset for modders to make a quality game.

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Kell_the_Gamer said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Nope.

Action RPG's.

Citations Wikipedia use are GameSpot, PC Gamer, and IGN, (and some guy's blog that is now just a broken link). These are sources full with dumb people who believe things such as Dragon's AGe 2 is a good RPG and that there are more than two genders. : \

In the official forums and some circles I hang out Mount and Blade is regarded as a Grand Strategy. RPGs are about a long in depth story with a beginning middle and end. Mount and Blade has some RPG-like stories but the main goal is conquering several factions under one banner through strategy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

Elder Scrolls has always been more about adventure, story and exploration. Mount and Blade is more strategic game based more on battles and factions. They are very different RPGs.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Pretentious.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox

@pyratrum said:

Pretentious.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

a : making usually unjustified or excessive claims

b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature

He could make a case for that since you posted the original gif.

@foxhound_fox said:
@pyratrum said:

Pretentious.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Loading Video...

Lore is story-telling. Role-playing involves building a world that reacts to your decisions as a player. The more the ES series has gone along, the less and less role-playing it's had. Even in the broader "character customization" sense, you can't even have a class in Skyrim. You literally can do everything with a single character. Oblivion was the same.

With mods, the games become something of value, but the vanilla games are a bare-bones toolset for modders to make a quality game.

That would exclude over 95% of "RPGs" ever, you might want to know the meaning of what RPG means broseph

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]

There are several forms of RPG. The original form, sometimes called the tabletop RPG, is conducted through discussion, whereas in live action role-playing games (LARP) players physically perform their characters actions.[5] In both of these forms, an arranger called a game master (GM) usually decides on the rules and setting to be used, acting as referee, while each of the other players plays the role of a single character.[6]

Several varieties of RPG also exist in electronic media, such as multi-player text-basedMUDs and their graphics-based successors, massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). Role-playing games also include single-player role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox

@Heil68 said:

b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature

By expressing an opinion like everyone else in the thread?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Heil68 said:

By expressing an opinion like everyone else in the thread?

exaggerated with gut busting laughter gif, yes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

@Ballroompirate said:

That would exclude over 95% of "RPGs" ever, you might want to know the meaning of what RPG means broseph

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]

There are several forms of RPG. The original form, sometimes called the tabletop RPG, is conducted through discussion, whereas in live action role-playing games (LARP) players physically perform their characters actions.[5] In both of these forms, an arranger called a game master (GM) usually decides on the rules and setting to be used, acting as referee, while each of the other players plays the role of a single character.[6]

Several varieties of RPG also exist in electronic media, such as multi-player text-basedMUDs and their graphics-based successors, massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs). Role-playing games also include single-player role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling

Your Wikipedia definition would apply to every single game ever made with any sort of "character" in it.

Role-playing video games have a world that reacts to the player's decisions. Radiant AI in Oblivion was *supposed* to do this. Your actions were supposed to mould the world and NPC's within it. It didn't.

Have you played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? Or Fallout 2? Those are role-playing games. Your decisions make a significant difference in how other characters see your character, and how the story plays out. Oblivion and Skyrim are merely action-adventures with statistics governing combat.

But in order to avoid being considered pretentious by people who don't seem to understand the concept of discussing something openly on a forum, I'm merely saying this as my opinion. It's not an objective assertion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox

@Heil68 said:

exaggerated with gut busting laughter gif, yes.

"Exaggerated importance, worth or stature"

You can't even use your definition properly. It is an exaggerated reaction sure, but not a pretentious one.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

I leave the GS forums for a year and uninspiredcup is still making too many threads to the point I don't like it or it's avatar.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup  Online

@Jebus213 said:

@uninspiredcup:

I leave the GS forums for a year and uninspiredcup is still making too many threads to the point I don't like it or it's avatar.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Your Wikipedia definition would apply to every single game ever made with any sort of "character" in it.

Role-playing video games have a world that reacts to the player's decisions. Radiant AI in Oblivion was *supposed* to do this. Your actions were supposed to mould the world and NPC's within it. It didn't.

Have you played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? Or Fallout 2? Those are role-playing games. Your decisions make a significant difference in how other characters see your character, and how the story plays out. Oblivion and Skyrim are merely action-adventures with statistics governing combat.

But in order to avoid being considered pretentious by people who don't seem to understand the concept of discussing something openly on a forum, I'm merely saying this as my opinion. It's not an objective assertion.

You're correct in the sense of what you might call "true" role playing game but you have take into account definition that RPG has taken in terms of video games and @Ballroompirate's last paragraph illustrated that point. These are games that share the "statistical mechanics" of character building and character growth with tabletop RPG's. Otherwise, by your definition, that would omit like 99% of JRPGs and a bunch of WRPGs like Skyrim. In the case of The Elder Scrolls, the games give the player the freedom to do whatever they want and essentially "role play."

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I've really only played Mount&Blade Warband for the NeoGK Team Deathmatch servers, to be honest. Singleplayer tends to get real old real fast IMO

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

The usual, "I like Game X more than a game that everyone likes. Let me make a dumb ass thread comparing the two so that I can feel better about my lonely self" thread.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@flashn00b said:

I've really only played Mount&Blade Warband for the NeoGK Team Deathmatch servers, to be honest. Singleplayer tends to get real old real fast IMO

It's a game with good ideas and huge potential mostly poorly implemented.

Go anywhere, do anything- in a land devoid of life.

Have huge battles - in which he with the largest mounted army always wins.

Nothing seems to counter cavalry properly in Mount And Blade, in reality, stuff like ditches, topography and schiltrons could obliterate them.

Having said that, pretty much every Elder Scroll title from Arena has been broken as well, Bethesda though are a AAA company with millions in their arsenal while Taleworlds worked with scraps.

@Pedro said:

The usual, "I like Game X more than a game that everyone likes. Let me make a dumb ass thread comparing the two so that I can feel better about my lonely self" thread.

As opposed to the more dubious "I will attempt to demean users to feel good about myself".

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Neitehr Mount and Blade or Bethesda's hiking sims are really RPGs.

BUT... Mount and Blade is a competent game, and has things going for it. Bethesda only has moddability going for it. Despite being made by only 2 peoplem Mount and Blade was a much greater experience than recent TES. Morrowind beats Warband though but that game was a long time ago.

For starters, Mount and Blade; Warband actually had,

• A world that felt larger than a golf course.
  • Good combat.
  • Emergent gameplay.
  • A good character system.

And more importantly, while each Bethesda game is increasingly dumbed down from the last. The Mount and Blade franchise seems to be expanding and reiterating upon itself rather than remove features with each new game. Sure, Mount and Blade 2 could have done more than what they have shown us. But at least it isnt dumbing itself down.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

These games are not comparable, its like comparing uncharted to total war, it just doesn't work that way. OP is just trying to provoke people, that's all.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@pyratrum said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@Ballroompirate said:

You're correct in the sense of what you might call "true" role playing game but you have take into account definition that RPG has taken in terms of video games and @Ballroompirate's last paragraph illustrated that point. These are games that share the "statistical mechanics" of character building and character growth with tabletop RPG's. Otherwise, by your definition, that would omit like 99% of JRPGs and a bunch of WRPGs like Skyrim. In the case of The Elder Scrolls, the games give the player the freedom to do whatever they want and essentially "role play."

So, by that logic (not an argument with you, btw), Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Everquest: Champions of Norrath, X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy aren't RPG's either. Pretty BS reasoning if you ask me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

oh stop trying to be edgy, its embarrassing

There are many different forms of role-playing ... choosing what damn scripted line Geralt says aint the best way for many... living in an open world where you have great custimisation, pleanty of modding capabilities to endless live in that world without the need for damn lines of scripts.

The Witcher role playing everyone ... talk to npc

1) Kill

2) be nice

3) edgy neutral option which ultimately does nothing.

amazing.