Is it just me...or did that R2 boss fight look bad (and not in a good way)

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Adonymous
Member since 2008 • 1664 Posts

I mean it looked scripted as hell....Nathan could have taken his time since the monster just stood there and waited for nathan to get across the platform safely before destroying it.

It was so scripted...they should have just had the RE4 style button mashes.

Also is it just me again, or did the graphics on that level look sub-par...even worse then R1. Like the walls had no textures...they were just painted a tan'ish color...and I watched this on G4 on my HDTV and not a crappy stream on GS or G4.com

Thoughts?

Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

It pains me to do this... but yeah I agree TC.... the first time I saw it, I didn't notice.... I was in awe of the size of the thing.... the 2nd time i watched it... I noticed it wasn't as impressive as I had previously thought.

Edit* yeah the graphics were just okay too, nothing too special.

TriggerheartEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TriggerheartEx
Member since 2008 • 132 Posts

I mean it looked scripted as hell....Nathan could have taken his time since the monster just stood there and waited for nathan to get across the platform safely before destroying it.

It was so scripted...they should have just had the RE4 style button mashes.

Also is it just me again, or did the graphics on that level look sub-par...even worse then R1. Like the walls had no textures...they were just painted a tan'ish color...and I watched this on G4 on my HDTV and not a crappy stream on GS or G4.com

Thoughts?

Adonymous

I absolutely agree, I thought it looked pretty standard. Nothing to write home to mom about.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts
No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.
Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Adonymous

No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.CWEBB04z

well then might as well shut down SW...cause that's ALL gamers do.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.Adonymous

im a gamer, and I dont do that. SW is full of kids, not Gamers..

Nero_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nero_Paladin
Member since 2007 • 1099 Posts
yeah its just you, go and watch the California level.
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

i agree, it looks so scripted and controlled, you felt like you were in a set peice rather than feeling the despiration of fighting a MASSIVE creature. i also took issue with the graphics, the sucked. i could go into more depth but at the mo i CBA.

oh and the boss had a massive ****-me point on its mouth, ****-me points are so cheap.

charomid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 charomid
Member since 2005 • 901 Posts
honestly, i have to agree with the tc on this. i saw when he was crossing over as well, the boss waited until he was passed, then "tried" to hit him by crushing the bridge. resistance did not really do it for me and for some reason i dont think r2 would either. just my opinion of course :P
Eclipse_V2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eclipse_V2
Member since 2008 • 213 Posts
it looked poor
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

It was definitely scripted.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
I don't really care that it's script but the level design of that part just wasn't good.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
Why are you complaining about the scripted plot. The monster threw nathan hale about a 100 feet into another building and didn't die. The monster slamed him on top of a tower, but didn't die. Heck why on earth would the monster place him back on the building after being shot in the mouth. he would have been dropped to hit the ground. R2 look like it is going to be bad man. I didn't think teh first one was good, but this one looks even worse.
inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Why are you complaining about the scripted plot. The monster threw nathan hale about a 100 feet into another building and didn't die. The monster slamed him on top of a tower, but didn't die. Heck why on earth would the monster place him back on the building after being shot in the mouth. he would have been dropped to hit the ground. R2 look like it is going to be bad man. I didn't think teh first one was good, but this one looks even worse.too_much_eslim

Because if he died in a boss fight he couldn't win. The game would end.

Yeah, it was really scripted. So? Looked like fun.

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts

It looked scripted, but I don't mind. How else are you gonna kill a 500 ft. behemoth?

I'm mainly getting it for the 8 player online co-op.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]Why are you complaining about the scripted plot. The monster threw nathan hale about a 100 feet into another building and didn't die. The monster slamed him on top of a tower, but didn't die. Heck why on earth would the monster place him back on the building after being shot in the mouth. he would have been dropped to hit the ground. R2 look like it is going to be bad man. I didn't think teh first one was good, but this one looks even worse.inertk

A regular human shouldn't survive that. The game design is terrible in that aspect. It looked far from fun. All you had to do was wait for the monster to pick you up and as he slowly bring you to its mouth you shoot a rocket. Wow. That must be the greatest game design ever.I don't know what I was expecting to happen, but I saw wasn't it.

If they made a lot of blunders like that this game is going to be A at best.

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Adonymous

It looked scripted, but I don't mind. How else are you gonna kill a 500 ft. behemoth?

ChrnoTrigger

They're INSOMNIAC, they create the most innovative weapons in any game (R&C), they can figure it out.

BlueHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlueHerb
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts

Know how you can further prove this?

You seen the latest Gears of War 2 gameplay vid with the massive burning buildings and levels? take a look at the all the building/wall textures and detail, there is NONE, all that's sacrafised for the massive levels and in this case, massive boss battle.

you'd be an idiot to think this wasn't going to be the case. BUT, this will ONLY be settles and proven WHEN the game hits retail and we see the FINAL VERSION.

improvements COULD be made, so wait and see.

BTW, anyone got a link to a higer rez version of that boss battle?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Uuh its a boss fight its supposed to be scripted.
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

Adonymous

They're INSOMNIAC, they create the most innovative weapons in any game (R&C), they can figure it out.

Well as far as I know, he didn't kill the huge monster before demo ended. So obviously Insomniac is hiding something from us :P

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Adonymous

Uuh its a boss fight its supposed to be scripted.skrat_01

scrippted to the point that the monster just stands there...not even taunting you?

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

Adonymous

Valve wins that award.

Grav Gun, Portal Gun.

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Adonymous
[QUOTE="Adonymous"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

redstormrisen

Valve wins that award.

Grav Gun, Portal Gun.

Portal gun wasn't really a Valve creation...it was a mod by some college students that Valve then recruited.

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="Adonymous"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

Adonymous

Valve wins that award.

Grav Gun, Portal Gun.

Portal gun wasn't really a Valve creation...it was a mod by some college students that Valve then recruited.

Still, they were then recruited into Valve, making it the companies innovation.

:P

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inertk
[QUOTE="inertk"]

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]Why are you complaining about the scripted plot. The monster threw nathan hale about a 100 feet into another building and didn't die. The monster slamed him on top of a tower, but didn't die. Heck why on earth would the monster place him back on the building after being shot in the mouth. he would have been dropped to hit the ground. R2 look like it is going to be bad man. I didn't think teh first one was good, but this one looks even worse.too_much_eslim

A regular human shouldn't survive that. The game design is terrible in that aspect. It looked far from fun. All you had to do was wait for the monster to pick you up and as he slowly bring you to its mouth you shoot a rocket. Wow. That must be the greatest game design ever.I don't know what I was expecting to happen, but I saw wasn't it.

Well, he's not a regular human. So I guess that part is excused.

Anyways, to me that scene was about the large scale, how the creature was watching you make your way up the buliding and so forth.

But, since you clearly know better. Why don't you make some suggestions as to hwo to improve that scene?

Funny thing is, that clearly isn't even how you kill the thing. Just how it's avoided.

hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hmac777
Member since 2007 • 1351 Posts
[QUOTE="inertk"]

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]Why are you complaining about the scripted plot. The monster threw nathan hale about a 100 feet into another building and didn't die. The monster slamed him on top of a tower, but didn't die. Heck why on earth would the monster place him back on the building after being shot in the mouth. he would have been dropped to hit the ground. R2 look like it is going to be bad man. I didn't think teh first one was good, but this one looks even worse.too_much_eslim

But he isnt a regular human, he has like chaimairan altered genes or something, which is a amjor plot point in the game. Other than that yeah the boss battle looked scripted but i kinda feel like that was all just a lead up to an actual fight than the actual meat of the battle

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts

No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.CWEBB04z

Looks like you don't know the cows very well. I don't think cows even play games anymore. They just sit at their TVs and analize every pixel, over, and over with a glazed over look in their eyes.. How do you think they were able to find the smallest differences between the 360, and PS3 versions of Burnout Paradise?

kmadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kmadon
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
Um.. guys. In an interview after E3 Ted price said that that level was not finished and that they planed to add a lot more polish and atmosphere to the game until release...
Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Adonymous
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="inertk"]

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]Why are you complaining about the scripted plot. The monster threw nathan hale about a 100 feet into another building and didn't die. The monster slamed him on top of a tower, but didn't die. Heck why on earth would the monster place him back on the building after being shot in the mouth. he would have been dropped to hit the ground. R2 look like it is going to be bad man. I didn't think teh first one was good, but this one looks even worse.inertk

Well, he's not a regular human. So I guess that part is excused.

Anyways, to me that scene was about the large scale, how the creature was watching you make your way up the buliding and so forth.

But, since you clearly know better. Why don't you make some suggestions as to hwo to improve that scene?

Funny thing is, that clearly isn't even how you kill the thing. Just how it's avoided.

well for one they could have had the monster start hitting the bridge, doing damage (not necessarliy destorying it) but something that would frighten you and make you want to cross it ASAP...in the vid demo...it looked as if the monster was just standing there waiting for the player to cross a certain point then react.

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Adonymous

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.MortalDecay

Looks like you don't know the cows very well. I don't think cows even play games anymore. They just sit at their TVs and analize every pixel, over, and over with a glazed over look in their eyes.. How do you think they were able to find the smallest differences between the 360, and PS3 versions of Burnout Paradise?

Umm...exact same argument works for lemmings as well.

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts
The whole thing looked severely unfinished, I was very unimpressed that that was what they had to show for themselves at E3, only a couple of months before the game was to be released.
IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts
Yeah the monster just idled until the player crosses the script triggering checkpoints. This is lame and prevents the player from experiencing climax. And then the graphic is like a lot of makeup on a ugly "body". Much like wakin up the next day to look next to you and see "it" without makeup.... oh feck pwned myself
chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts
[QUOTE="Adonymous"]

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.CWEBB04z

im a gamer, and I dont do that. SW is full of kids, not Gamers..

.......Why are you here?

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts
[QUOTE="MortalDecay"]

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.Adonymous

Lems aren't the rabid graphics whores that the cows have turned into since they got the PS3. Yeah, we can be graphics whores, but I have not seen many lems take it to the level that cows have. And it's all ironic since cows used to be all for gameplay over graphics.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts
Lol All these people talking about a scripted boss fight. Also Insomaniac said they was going to focus on gameplay first so I trust that the graphics will be better when it comes out.
Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Adonymous
[QUOTE="Adonymous"][QUOTE="MortalDecay"]

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]No one cares what they look like, Gamers arent going to say: "Oh man these graphics suck, that boss has the worst textures, Oh dude! those building doesnt have enough detail!" While playing the game, that would just make them sound stupid.MortalDecay

Lems aren't the rabid graphics whores that the cows have turned into since they got the PS3. Yeah, we can be graphics whores, but I have not seen many lems take it to the level that cows have. And it's all ironic since cows used to be all for gameplay over graphics.

Yes they are. Both groups are equally bad. You just don't see it because you're a 360 owner and have a bias toward the 360, much like -Renagade will have a bias toward the PS3.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inertk
[QUOTE="Adonymous"][QUOTE="MortalDecay"]

Lemmings tout the graphical superiority of multiplatform games FAR more than cows do.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 inertk

well for one they could have had the monster start hitting the bridge, doing damage (not necessarliy destorying it) but something that would frighten you and make you want to cross it ASAP...in the vid demo...it looked as if the monster was just standing there waiting for the player to cross a certain point then react.

Adonymous

As far as I know, Hale can't sprint. As I said before, the way the creature watches you as you pass through the area proves to be quite frightening and ominous itself.

It's clear you can't kill it there, just progress to the next area.

However, what you're saying does make sense. I actually agree that it could've been slightly more aggressive.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

1.) Looks highly scripted.
2.) This is just the beginning of ONE boss fight out of several that is said be in the game.
3.) Environment textures while figthing the boss look meh (otherwise they look great).
4.) :lol: @ Resistance 2 will be worse than the first one.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
It wasn't as impressive as I thought it might have been. Im keeping my faith in Insomniac though, I believe the game will be a clear improvement over the first when it comes out, but yeah that video wasn't exactly...reassuring.
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts
Resistance will be good but Gears 2 will murder it
Avatar image for JetB1ackNewYear
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JetB1ackNewYear
Member since 2007 • 2931 Posts
The boss looke awesome but when the guy got picked up the water and buildings were so terrible looking. and it was very slow paced i donno im getting R2 i just hope it gets better.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Uuh its a boss fight its supposed to be scripted.Adonymous

scrippted to the point that the monster just stands there...not even taunting you?

Obviously.

They could have scripted it to crush the player on the spot.

But that would have been great fun right?

Gamersince81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gamersince81
Member since 2007 • 1787 Posts
GS will give R2 a 9 out of 10!!!
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"][QUOTE="Adonymous"][QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"]

Adonymous

Valve wins that award.

Grav Gun, Portal Gun.

Depends what you define as gun and implementation.

In nardbacular drop you place portals - which are doors, and walk through them, the 'portal gun' does things quite differently, and the puzzles emphesise that.

But no doubt about it its the students who came up with the idea first.

Norule04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Norule04
Member since 2004 • 8985 Posts

This is why halo 3 is much better

not scripted massive battles with massive bosses (scarabs)

Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Adonymous
[QUOTE="Adonymous"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Uuh its a boss fight its supposed to be scripted.skrat_01

Obviously.

They could have scripted it to crush the player on the spot.

But that would have been great fun right?

it would really help the experience if the monster tried? like tried hitting the bridge taking the top section off, screaming at you, etc.

BlueHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BlueHerb
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts

This is why halo 3 is much better

not scripted massive battles with massive bosses (scarabs)

Norule04

um, the thing in R2 makes the scarab look like a piss ant.

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
I like how Morgan Webb asked what was even the point of shooting him... at the G4 hands on demo. You could tell she didn't like how scripted it was either.