Is Gamespot slow to review games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Three of the top three games of 2016 so far (Grim Dawn, Stardew Valley, and Factorio) haven't been reviewed yet.

In the case of Factorio, I guess it's because of the Early Access even though the game is "10/10 would Xbone" status at this point regardless. As for the other two, they're fully released. But in every case, these games are some of the most popular to release this year. I'd be interested in knowing their take on these.

Browsing through the latest reviews from Gamespot, they have three from two days ago, two from three days ago, one from seven days ago, and another from nine days ago. Seems like a really slow review schedule for a review site.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Their choices of what games they review don't make a whole lot of sense sometimes. Though idk how many regular staff reviewers they have left

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Surprising,considering they did review the EA on Grim Dawn

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/grim-dawn-early-access-review/1100-6417123/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59006 Posts

Not sure the front page constitutes a review site anymore as they are so irrelevant and hurried under pop culture content they may as well be non existent.

Having said that... even if we ignore the morph into pop culture, smaller games have always been largely ignored from most major sites.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I don't care what these hipster kids think about video games. Reviews have become irrelevant because the people who write them are either trying to be as "artistic" as possible or are pushing some social agenda. It hasn't been about the games here for some time now. Joel is a drug dealer because he has a nice house and Rockstar is anti women.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22694 Posts

Only since 2004... They were quick before that.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Havnt heard nothing on Salt and Sanctuary either. Maybe just a little too many games to review, maybe staff a little short.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I tend to disregard their reviews now, just come to the forums and comment on articles, that is fun. I usually just check user reviews from Steam or this forum as it is the most active.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

They haven't reviewed MLB The Show 16 yet.....slow bastards.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/factorio

Factorio has zero reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/grim-dawn

Grim Dawn has 18

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/stardew-valley

Stardew has 18

Point I'm trying to make is, that a lot of sites don't review games like that fairly quickly. For a variety of reasons, potentially they didn't get a review code or go out to get one, potentially it's the nature of how many games the PC and steam especially get in a given week. Simply put, for all the bitching everyone does, we get a disgusting amount of well developed games, at reasonable prices every week. Throw in the fact that all 3 of those games would warrant a time sink, and yeah assuming you want the reviews done right (as in fucking finish the game), it'll take time.

Triple A pubs send out early review codes, and in general have more of a push and demand for a review. As far as them taking longer, personally I have no issue with it. The quality of the review and said reviewers understanding of the game to me should matter more than whether or not they took long or not. Rushing to meet release date is how you get reviews that only scratch the surface of games that offer far more gameplay depth than initial impression: Platinum's Games for instance, I would argue aren't something the player truly has an understanding of on a systems level until they get to their second playthrough.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@lostrib said:

Their choices of what games they review don't make a whole lot of sense sometimes. Though idk how many regular staff reviewers they have left

That's something I noticed about the latest reviews too. I mean, I'm not one to disregard any game, but as far as reviews (which are only written by this site to draw in viewers) you might assume they would push for more recognizable titles.

@jg4xchamp said:

Point I'm trying to make is, that a lot of sites don't review games like that fairly quickly. For a variety of reasons, potentially they didn't get a review code or go out to get one, potentially it's the nature of how many games the PC and steam especially get in a given week. Simply put, for all the bitching everyone does, we get a disgusting amount of well developed games, at reasonable prices every week. Throw in the fact that all 3 of those games would warrant a time sink, and yeah assuming you want the reviews done right (as in fucking finish the game), it'll take time.

Triple A pubs send out early review codes, and in general have more of a push and demand for a review. As far as them taking longer, personally I have no issue with it. The quality of the review and said reviewers understanding of the game to me should matter more than whether or not they took long or not. Rushing to meet release date is how you get reviews that only scratch the surface of games that offer far more gameplay depth than initial impression: Platinum's Games for instance, I would argue aren't something the player truly has an understanding of on a systems level until they get to their second playthrough.

I can agree with that. I'm not even a big review person myself, but I did join these forums, so it's a little something extra to read from time to time. I wouldn't want any review rushed. However, Grim Dawn and Stardew Valley are over a month old at this point, and pretty big games. Yeah, both can consume hundreds of hours, but it's not necessary to put that much time in to understand the games. And consider these people review for their job, so they basically have an extra 40 hours a week to consume games over us poor peasant folk.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

Yeah. They are also really bad at it.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Factorio is early access, I don't think GS reviews early access titles. Do they?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Slow doing reviews?- depends on the game

Constantly doing crappy reviews?- yes

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They have no reviewers left lol. Every single person that is currently reviewing isn't even a reviewer.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Litchie said:

Yeah. They are also really bad at it.

^ This person is spot on.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I guess their staff is just too small to review everything. There are tons of games that they never review.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Nightflash28 said:

Factorio is early access, I don't think GS reviews early access titles. Do they?

they'll do short early access reviews, but they don't give numerical scores or anything

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I guess their staff is just too small to review everything. There are tons of games that they never review.

My guess is this too.