Is Bungie a mediocre console dev now?

• 58 results
CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Bungie a mediocre console dev now? (96 votes)

Yes, Destiny is a boring grindfest 80%
Nah, lets wait for Destiny 2 in 7 to 10 years 20%
 • 
Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

They've always been mediocre

They're awesome at gunplay, shit at everything else.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

If we have to wait 10 years for destiny to get good so that Bungie can prove itself, then, yeah, they're pretty mediocre.

Though i have a feeling Activision has big share of the blame for Destiny's shit storyline

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Destiny was ok. Especially as a free pack in with PS4 which is how I got it. But nothing special at all really. The hype way exceeded the final product.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I like to think of them as liars.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

They made the same game basically for years so they knew nothing about making anything else

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

They have a lot of talent.

Making Destiny for last generation consoles (which are practically toasters with 512 mb of RAM) was a decapitating blow to the ability of them to really make Destiny everything they promised it would be.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

I'm going to go with yes because I don't want to wait 10 years

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Yes, they're pretty terrible.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

That's kind of what they've always done, they went from making a shooter for macs to console centric development. Myth is probably the most interesting thing they've ever made.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Some of you might sing a diferent tune if they still made Xbox exclusives.

For me they seem ok.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Maybe they thought if they could go on their own, they could go bigger than Halo. That is a hard task in its own.

Destiny definitely has its following but it's not really for me.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

They've been one of my favorite developers for years, so I'm not willing to write them off so quickly.

Destiny is one bad game. You can at least see the potential there for Destiny 2 to build on. The guns feel great and class abilities are a blast to use. If they can work in an actual coherent story with a stronger variety of end game content, then the sequel is already drastically improved.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

If making Destiny is all they going to do they are atleast boring dev imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

They've always been slightly above average. Oni was meh and Halo was always overrated as fvck. I enjoy Destiny but its definitely another sub-par product from them. People gave it far too much credit because of an average shooter - Halo. Its like praising ND only because of Uncharted or somethin. At least ND put out far more good games

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

If they keep making generic Halo spin-offs then yes they are shit.

That goes for all devs that get caught in the sequel cycle, there needs to be some creativity.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

To be honest, I never thought I'd bother with it. Then this last week I saw they had a Deals With Gold sale for $45 for the entire Destiny game and all the DLC since release so I picked it up. Kind of hating myself for it now as I read they're releasing the next expansion with everything before it for $60 while the Taken King expansion itself goes for $40. **sigh** Oh well, now I'll be able to decide for myself just how far Bungie has fallen from grace. Oh well, maybe there'll be a good holiday sale on the Taken King expansion (considering I still might want it).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

they have always been a bit of a one hit wonder imho.

halo 1 was great. injected a lot of fresh ideas into the FPS.

if you are into online gaming on consoles then i suppose Halo 2 was also quite a buzz (the SP in that was meh though).

after that.....i got nothin. i never played marathon back in the day mind. heard good things but never had the hardware to play it.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

They always have been.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They've been shit after Halo 2 release. I do believe Destiny wouldn't be this shitty if Activision or EA weren't their publisher, tho. No way in **** a game that took em 5-7y had this low amount of content, oversimplified everything and this generic, no way...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Bungie was always mediocre... they simply caught lightning in a bottle early... with something a little different at the time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#22  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17835 Posts

You got to give credit to Activision. They know how to round up devs to make crappy games and they market the shit out of the games and build a culture around them. COD and Destiny are mediocre at best, but people keep playing them. They are experts at brainwashing people. They know how to prey on the weak-minded peasants.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Bungie had a one off success with Halo, that is all they were and all they will ever be.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

they are not how many ppl stll playing Destiny?

They advertise as not being an mmo, but copy many mmo elements there numbers are high compared to many MMOs out there.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Destiny is the very definition of "mediocre". Not bad, not good, just... there.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Vatusus said:

They've always been slightly above average. Oni was meh and Halo was always overrated as fvck. I enjoy Destiny but its definitely another sub-par product from them. People gave it far too much credit because of an average shooter - Halo. Its like praising ND only because of Uncharted or somethin. At least ND put out far more good games

yup..the halo series was so average it pioneer the matchmaking system all developers implement in video games today. You can hate halo and call it an overrated series if it makes you feel better,but halo 1-3 were far from "average" first person shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

I don't like Destiny because it is a shooter. Though a rediculous amount of people do. So I'll answer no.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

meh

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's dead Jim.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Still a great dev but they caught a nasty case of Activision, Blizzard have also been afflicted with the same disease.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

They made one good game: Halo, and then copy and pasted said good game for a decade. Nothing else they made is actually a good game unless you have a severe case of bad taste. They always were a mediocre developer, and it has nothing to do with Activision. They spent an entire vidoc gassing up how much creative freedom they got and how everything was on them, and how they deserve all the credit when everything turns out right, great. Now they get all the blame for their most recent shit barrel of a video game.

They are a joke. They can nail game mechanics (shallow game mechanics mind you) that feel good, but the other stuff? Pacing, level design, variety? Completely outclassed by subpar developers, much less good to great ones. In the context of story telling? They are a video game developer so they would be auto shit in that department, but their below average for video games too.

inb4 some lame ass apology for this studio.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'd call them overrated.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Some of the things in destiny are absolutely top tier: Art, music & sound, gunplay. Some are quite poor: story, level design.

Are they mediocre? No, I dont think so. They have a history of innovation in multiple genres, and I think poor execution in some aspects of one game is weak reason to condemn them all together.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Now that are since they've been tainted by activision and sony's greed

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Bungie has always been mediocre in my eyes. As some users have said, they are good at some elements of gunplay. Their AI and other game mechanics, like driving sections were 'meh'. Halo 3, ODST and Reach were practically the same thing all of which had the same flaws.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

No. I enjoy Destiny despite it's flaws and have put a crazy amount of hours into it. It's the perfect game to play with friends, everything in the game promotes you to play with others. And the FPS mechanics, class/subclass system, and art style/graphics are top notch. Is it the best game ever? No. But it's a good game at the end of the day, even if it's not as massive of a game as we thought it would be.

No game is perfect, and sometimes our expectations are often a bit too high. Could Destiny have been bigger and better? Yes. And I hope the next game in the series will be. But it's still a good start for a new IP and I've enjoyed it for what it is. The fun factor is there, especially when playing with friends in post-game activities. They just need to make a much better story next time and make the areas and planets we explore a lot bigger... if they can do that, while taking everything we like about the game to a whole new level, I think Destiny 2 will be more critically acclaimed.

In order to do that though, they will need to ditch last-gen. Last-gen has really held Destiny back quite a bit.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22783 Posts

I've never been a huge fan of their work... Sadly. I also don't think their games are bad. Destiny included... Just not for me in the long run...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They've always been mediocre at pretty much everything besides gunplay.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

They literally haven't made a decent game I would even consider playing since Halo 3. So ya I'd put them on the mediocre pile of developers now.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Do you wanna know how to spot a mediocre dev? They get shut down. Raven Software, famous for Heretic and Soldier of Fortune? They went mediocre. They got shut down. Zipper Interactive who made SOCOM? They went mediocre and got shut down. Pandemic Studios who made Battlefront and Mercernaries? Went mediocre and then got shut down. Radical Entertainment who were gassed before the release of Prototype but were always mediocre? Virtually shut down. The Homefront devs? Shut down.

I'm sure some of y'all will be like "Bu-bu-bu Liquid Raven/SOCOM/Pandemic actually made unique games it's not their fault they got shut down." And that's why you're all a bunch of inbred buttholes.

Bungie may not cater to Quasimodos anymore, but it's by intention. For all the mud thrown at them since the release of Destiny, they've been printing money like no tomorrow, because they know what makes people tick. But they stopped fishing for ugly angler fish in 2010 and went to fish yellowfin tuna.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

Even though I have a soft spot for destiny...they always been avg just a lot of blind to that praised halo but I always said they were an overrated dev.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@lawlessx said:
@Vatusus said:

yup..the halo series was so average it pioneer the matchmaking system all developers implement in video games today. You can hate halo and call it an overrated series if it makes you feel better,but halo 1-3 were far from "average" first person shooters.

Hooray for crappy p2p match making? Of all the things it did well and did pioneer you chose THAT? At least the PC version had dedicated servers and used GameSpy, but that had been done for years before Halo.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Vatusus said:

You think Killzone: Shadowfall is a good game tho, so I'm not sure your judgment is the best when it comes to shooters.

I agree that Bungie is super overrated tho. I love how Halo's gunplay feels and how its art design looks but Bungie spoke volumes when they basically said that their formula is repetition. Interesting level design is simply beyond them.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

I honestly think Destiny was poorly explained to people and it really didn't have the mass appeal that it was marketed to have. People approach it like it's supposed to be a Halo instead of an mmo similar to pso2 ( everything basically being instances and a hub outside of that where you get your quests etc). What Destiny actually is, it's fantastic, if it wasn't then it wouldn't be a topic now, when it's nearly a year old.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@frank_castle: Halo CE was an audio visual tour de force in 2001. Nothing except maybe Half Life came close in any respect, in regards to first person shooters. But after the first couple Halos, its like Bungie's artists went on strike, and Bungie's janitors took over for them.

Shiroibwoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shiroibwoy
Member since 2005 • 199 Posts

My family were Mac users when I was a kid. Back in those days Bungie and Ambrosia were the shining beacons for us Mac youngsters. I'll never forget the crazy deathmatches me and my brothers had with Marathon 1 and 2. Also when I watched in amazement as my older brother battled against his best friend in Myth 1 and 2 like master tactician generals. Those are epic childhood memories. Props to Bungie for those! Oni was a dissapointment. Halo was cool though, I'm not a fanboy but I acknowledge what it brought and it set new rules. I do wonder what it could've been though since me and my brothers were jumping in our seats when we saw the original Mac trailer. Other than that I've not played a Bungie game since finishing Halo 2 on Xbox yeaars ago.

Edit: If Destiny ever saw a PC release I'd buy it on release!

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

As a HUGE Destiny fan this is what i think of Bungie:

• Liars
  • Trolls
  • Worst story tellers in the industry (even hyperdimention neptunia games have better story than Destiny)

I bought Destiny because xbox fans said bungie write some of the best stories in the industry, never going to believe an xbox gamer ever again.. but hey the whole gameplay and PvP aspect is what got me addicted to the game (like what CoD done to me last generation)

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

anyone who discounts how good halo ce through reach is can jump off a bridge. bungie is a fantastic dev overall, halo ce is prob my favorite game of all time, destiny however is garbage on so many levels. one shit game can't tarnish the other 5 masterpieces they created however.