Is a good thing Nintendo focus on children and family?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Is a good thing Nintendo focus on children and family? (27 votes)

Aye 85%
Naw 33%

My friends: I see a lot of "hardcore" gamers dismiss and mock Nintendo, particularly for a lack of third party and the wii motion controls.

In my eyes (which are great); Nintendo have a multitude of colorful, creative titles that set it apart.

If the Nintendo was essentially just a hybrid clone of Microsoft or Sony systems: would the gaming landscape just be boring? Given how people are already complaining about the lack of interesting titles on "next gen".

• 
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Without Nintendo, gaming would be dull

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Children and family are parts of gaming genre. Is never good that to see a big gaming company to own focus in one type of genre only, you want to see more different thing.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Exactamundo

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#4 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I appreciate what Nintendo brings to the market. The diversity is nice going from The Last of Us to Super Mario 3D World, then to Assassin's Creed and then Wind Waker.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Nintendo should focus on what they do really well at. And as it happens, they do really well at these fun for the whole family type of games.

This isnt to say that when they do more mature stuff it is bad, those more mature games are good too.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Blabadon said:

We had a good time without them the other night....while we played PS4 :D

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No, because this industry is ONLY for snotty nosed teenagers who just discovered their manliness. Kids and adults shouldn't play video games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

"Hardcore gamers"

Loading Video...

Everybody else:

Loading Video...

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Because the gaming industry is much bigger than this forum, sorry, but we're just a puddle.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It kind of goes beyond that.

Nintendo's games aren't JUST for Kids and Family you know.

Xenoblade is clearly not a game to sit down and have a Family get together, I mean you can, but it's mostly a single player experience.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

It's good that one console has games kids can play....it's how you start gaming.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Nintendo keeps gaming diversified instead of being male-centric.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Nintendo focuses on everyone.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nothing wrong with it..however Nintendo is too focus on family..just look at their adverts compare to MS/Sony. :P

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blabadon

@Heil68 said:

@Blabadon said:

Do you have Far Cry 4?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Nintendo keeps gaming diversified instead of being male-centric.

I'm pretty sure a good amount of females like Nintendo games too. Though Nintendo's own eShop data says otherwise....

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Someone has too. The only reason why Sony and Microsoft can keep targeting almost nothing but teenage males generation after generation is because companies like nintendo make stuff that can hook all sorts of players from a very young age.

Teenage/ young-adult males = High short-term profits

Male/Female children and up = Long-term sustainability

There is a reason why they are the only ones who can manage to profit while carrying consoles completely on their own. And its not dumb luck or magic.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

no, while I'm sure some families will buy Nintendo consoles thinking they're more family oriented I'm sure more families will just get their kid an Xbox or Playstation anyways, plus I think many of their biggest supporters are full grown kneckbeards kidults basking in the nostalgia

plus Nintendo in preservation of the wholesome family image has refused to publish certain games in the West they've had no problems releasing in Japan, like Fatal Frame IV & V, or at least I've heard that argued once or twice, then again it could just be they don't feel it has publishing potential for their market

anyhow, I tend to see their games as more all ages appropriate than that they cater to chidren, sometimes even adults are easily offended by things considered too adult

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

Someone has too. The only reason why Sony and Microsoft can keep targeting almost nothing but teenage males generation after generation is because companies like nintendo make stuff that can hook all sorts of players from a very young age.

Teenage/ young-adult males = High short-term profits

Male/Female children and up = Long-term sustainability

There is a reason why they are the only ones who can manage to profit while carrying consoles completely on their own. And its not dumb luck or magic.

That is untrue. Nintendo's fanbase has been shrinking every gen minus the wii(which was a fluke). The man children/nintendo nostalgia lovers is shrinking every gen. I am too lazy to look up actual numbers but NES was like 60 million, SNES was 47 million, N64 was 30 something million, Gamecube was around 23 million, wii was a fluke at 100 million which was mainly casuals because the wii U is selling horrible. Wii U is on track to sell LESS than the gamecube which is a joke.

If your "long-term sustainability" point was true, then nintendo would be creating new fans and would be winning in sales right now. They are not.

Children/Teens want/demand the PS4/Xbone and online gaming. The only people buying a wii u are the hardcore nostalgia man children/anime lovers. A very small portion of parents are buying the wii u for kids.

Nintendo should be targeting the older demographic who have grown up/more mature if they want to make real money. The people who grew up on nintendo have moved on to better games on other systems. Teens/Adults have cash to burn and they are doing it with PS4/Xbone. They have played Mario a million times before. They want something new.

Nintendo and WWE are in the exact same boat. Constantly appealing to kids, pushing Cena/Mario, Adults hate them and they are losing more and more fans every gen with no hope of change because they are too content/stubborn with what they have.

God I want Nintendo/WWE to succeed but they both just don't care anymore and are stuck in the 80's. They are both out of touch.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

It's never a good idea to restrict yourself to any particular demographic. Nintendo's games may be enjoyable to any age, but they don't always appeal to any age.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

As much as I love Nintendo's approach to gaming, and there fantastic first party line up and have been a fan since I got the snes way back when I was little, the problem is I've matured and so has my taste in gaming, as much as i would love to play mario, zelda, etc etc, I love my mature games, and the place for them is PC,X1,PS4 and they have the support for third party.

what Nintendo needs to do, is forget the gimmicks, build a machine which is easy to code for, better hardware and I honestly believe they'd become the console of choice.

Nintendo and third party games would be amazing but unfortunately they didn't go that way and so the third party has left them behind, but I'm hoping there next console is a contender and has the support.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Blabadon said:

that might have been true like 15-20 years ago but now they are only relevant to the fanboys they made during those very same years that they dominated.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I'll answer you seriously for once. The focus doesn't matter. Its the games, and Nintendo has a fantastic track record with their first party titles. Kiddy or not, they are by and large great games.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@Heil68 said:

@Blabadon said:

Do you have Far Cry 4?

Yup. On to that next. Do you?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

It used to be but it seems very few care anymore ... Therefore the bad sales of Wii U. They need to find the sweet spot for all gamers ...not only Nintendo die hard fans

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@stuff238 said:

That is untrue. Nintendo's fanbase has been shrinking every gen minus the wii(which was a fluke). The man children/nintendo nostalgia lovers is shrinking every gen. I am too lazy to look up actual numbers but NES was like 60 million, SNES was 47 million, N64 was 30 something million, Gamecube was around 23 million, wii was a fluke at 100 million which was mainly casuals because the wii U is selling horrible. Wii U is on track to sell LESS than the gamecube which is a joke.

You seem to be confusing loyalists with regular consumers, yet you somehow can distinguish between "fanbase" and casuals. Yes the SNES sold 47 million... you think those 47 million are nothing but potential loyal costumers? Were casuals an invention of the last 7 years or something?

@stuff238 said:

If your "long-term sustainability" point was true, then nintendo would be creating new fans and would be winning in sales right now. They are not.

...uh, yes they are. Who the **** d you think bought 13.29 million copies of Pokemon X/Y? Or almost 4 million copies of Mario Kart 8?

Oh. Did you happen to forget about the 3DS? lol

@stuff238 said:

Nintendo should be targeting the older demographic who have grown up/more mature if they want to make real money.

Real money? The PS3 put sony in the red even after the PS2 and the Xbox division has never made any sort of substantial profit since its creation.

@stuff238 said:

The people who grew up on nintendo have moved on to better games on other systems. Teens/Adults have cash to burn and they are doing it with PS4/Xbone. They have played Mario a million times before. They want something new.

@stuff238 said:

Nintendo and WWE are in the exact same boat. Constantly appealing to kids, pushing Cena/Mario, Adults hate them and they are losing more and more fans every gen with no hope of change because they are too content/stubborn with what they have.

God I want Nintendo/WWE to succeed but they both just don't care anymore and are stuck in the 80's. They are both out of touch.

The Wii U is a huge commercial failure... yet they are profiting from it. A company that has consistently turned a profit regardless of its highs and lows, is somehow out of touch.

'kay

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Somebody has too; nowadays it's all gory gritty cliche nonsense.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Gaming would be dead for me if it wasn't for Nintendo. I'd probably be a pure retro gamer.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Blabadon said:

that might have been true like 15-20 years ago but now they are only relevant to the fanboys they made during those very same years that they dominated.

Your blind ignorance speaks volumes. It's obvious you haven't played a single Nintendo game in 15-20 years.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon

@Heil68 said:

@Blabadon said:

@Heil68 said:

@Blabadon said:

Do you have Far Cry 4?

Yup. On to that next. Do you?

I might do it after I get back from Michigan.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I'm far too spoiled for choice, right now I'm neglecting my Xbox One to play Smash borthers on my wiiu, I don't care who Nintendo caters to, I seem to like nearly every game they create and so do millions upon millions of other people, hence why they make yearly profits most of the time.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nintendoboy16

@stuff238 said:

Nintendo should be targeting the older demographic who have grown up/more mature if they want to make real money. The people who grew up on nintendo have moved on to better games on other systems. Teens/Adults have cash to burn and they are doing it with PS4/Xbone. They have played Mario a million times before. They want something new.

They tried that and only under ONE console was that a success, primarily under this developer (and some third parties like Acclaim and the Turok games, despite that it was still not that much because the PlayStation had MOST of the Mature audience thanks to Fear Effect, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc).

Then the GameCube came along. Nintendo had released the Lovecraft inspired survival horror Eternal Darkness. The game failed to even make a million in lifetime sales (something even three of the Resident Evil's released for the same system have managed to achieve much to Capcom corporate head's dismay on RE4). Geist, a first person adventure where you play as a spectre using possession to even solve puzzles, was met with similar sales (why these aren't on Wikipedia's commercial failures list, I'll never know). Because of this, they forwent any potential at getting that audience on the Wii and let third parties like Capcom and Activision (who have had a much better time) do the work.

And here we are with the Wii U. Nintendo announces that they have the sequel to Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive. Did they get praise for doing such an action? NOPE! They were hypocritically SHUNNED for it and now that Bayo 2's released, Nintendo is paying the price. After this and Devil's Third, Nintendo's going to be done with the M rated audience like Jim Raynor and the Sons of Korhal/Terran Dominion.

You don't care about Nintendo at all, stuff. Your posts prove that as much as DSP's behavior towards Hideo Kojima (which even he damage controls).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nintendo games are the only games where we (the family) get along.So, yeah. It's a good thing.

On the PS3, we definitely have our own likes (eg me: KZ/UC/FIFA games, kid: Eternal Sonata).

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

if you want an example of a great all around console that caters to everyone, look no further than ps4.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: With Knack, a broken LBP, yep, caters to everyone. (unlike the brodudes the latest PS4 ads suggests is their target audience).

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

maye some of their games are more family friendly BUT no normal kid will be able to play mario kart, or mario bros, or any other game on the system properly like an adult can. The games are geared towards everyone, but only an adult will be able to fully experience the content

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Zassimick said:

I appreciate what Nintendo brings to the market. The diversity is nice going from The Last of Us to Super Mario 3D World, then to Assassin's Creed and then Wind Waker.

Yeah I agree... Nintendo adds variety to the market.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Nintendo fills a much needed niche in gaming.

Though going 3rd party could be a viable option for them depending on how well their next console sells.

I would love to play Mario and Zelda on a future PS system, but not enough to invest in a console solely for those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Aye

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16

@Boddicker said:

Nintendo fills a much needed niche in gaming.

Though going 3rd party could be a viable option for them depending on how well their next console sells.

I would love to play Mario and Zelda on a future PS system, but not enough to invest in a console solely for those games.

Nope, it really isn't.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I love Nintendo games. I cannot live on Nintendo games alone, but man do I love some Nintendo!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Bigboi500 said:

@Gue1 said:

@Blabadon said:

Your blind ignorance speaks volumes. It's obvious you haven't played a single Nintendo game in 15-20 years.

He shouldn't even have the right to care after all he's said.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#44 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@undefined: Nintendo makes gaming funny, PlayStation makes gaming great, Microsoft makes gaming boring. Coolyfett likes to see all the funny things Nintendo does, Nintendo makes Coolyfett laugh often. They have their formula of what they like to do, CoolyFett wishes they would make a hybrid system that blows bubbles.

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

I think it's great that nintendo continue to make funny, family-friendly videogames. I don't agree with games like grand theft auto and the witcher - these games are easily available to young children and yet they contain incredibly unsuitable content. I like these games but I think more companies should be like nintendo. My answer is definitely an "Aye."

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Aye I got my kids one this christmas, had some great fun playing it with them a couple of times since then. Honestly I think Nintendo still have a relevent place in the market, but providing you aren't between -- 12-20 you should just buy a PC; the other two consoles are crap compared to what my PC can do (including be wired up to my TV so I can play on the couch with a beer before anybody comments).

Why does the pole say 84 - 36 %?? ;/