Is 1080p really needed in games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#601 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

Bloom and V-Sync don't do squat to make it look realistic. Bloom makes things glow unrealistically, V-Sync adds nothing to the graphics and only adds in a delay to mouse aiming, HBSO/SSAO deal with shadows so it's pointless to have on if I remove shadows, and I remove shadows as it makes character's silhouette stand out more. Again, nothing to do with perfomance.

You said, "7970 or gtx 680" and never mentioned SLI, 2, two, couple, many, multiple, or anything of that sort. I have it quoted in an un-edited post earlier if you want to check.

mitu123

Use Triple Buffering to make up for it.

Tried it in many games. In first person shooters, I can still notice it. In single player shooters or non-shooter games, I'll have V-Sync on and with triple buffering. Same for all the other effects; on for single player. For multiplayer in something like BF3, I have the settings on in such a way that I ensure a high, consistant frame rate without making it harder for me to do well. Things like render distance must always be at max but things like shadows and vegitation/flora (as it's called in PlanetSide 2) have to be off.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#602 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

Bloom and V-Sync don't do squat to make it look realistic. Bloom makes things glow unrealistically, V-Sync adds nothing to the graphics and only adds in a delay to mouse aiming, HBSO/SSAO deal with shadows so it's pointless to have on if I remove shadows, and I remove shadows as it makes character's silhouette stand out more. Again, nothing to do with perfomance.

You said, "7970 or gtx 680" and never mentioned SLI, 2, two, couple, many, multiple, or anything of that sort. I have it quoted in an un-edited post earlier if you want to check.

arto1223

Tried it in many games. In first person shooters, I can still notice it. In single player shooters or non-shooter games, I'll have V-Sync on and with triple buffering. Same for all the other effects; on for single player. For multiplayer in something like BF3, I have the settings on in such a way that I ensure a high, consistant frame rate without making it harder for me to do well. Things like render distance must always be at max but things like shadows and vegitation/flora (as it's called in PlanetSide 2) have to be off.

Are you using D3D Overrider? I hope so since that works and not from Nvidia Control Panel.

chunkowookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#603 chunkowookie
Member since 2012 • 270 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="glez13"]

Well in between 720p and 1080p you still have the standard resolutions HD(1366x768) and HD+(1600x900). Or they could use weird custom ones like many games this gen.

Bebi_vegeta

I dont want watered down pc ports because the devs had to sacrifice a ton of effects to get the game running at 1080p.

No you rather have CGI like graphics @ 480.

So true.

Also, for the record. CGI like graphics @480p (or 720p, or probably even 1080p, for that matter) is impossible, regardless of rendering power, or asset quality. Because in video games, the scene has to be rendered in real time. The rendering and the displaying are happening at the same time. CGI movies can have ludicrous amounts of detail, even when viewed in SD, because they are pre-rendered, in extremely high resolutions, before being viewed on whatever display you view it on. This is exactly why games do need higher resolutions. In order to achieve that level of graphics in a video game, it has to be rendered at higher resolutions. Just like a CGI movie. 1080p still isn't even there. But it's a hell of lot closer than 720p. Just like 720p is a hell of a lot closer than SD.

This was explained several times already, in this very thread. Why this is still going, is beyond me.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#604 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

Wait, now the argument is between pre-rendered recorded playbacks vs real time interactive software?

chunkowookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#605 chunkowookie
Member since 2012 • 270 Posts

Wait, now the argument is between pre-rendered recorded playbacks vs real time interactive software?

slimjimbadboy

It's just that that was loosey's original "point" in the OP. He doesn't think higher resolutions are needed in games, because a CGI movie can still have large amounts of detail at only 720p, or even in SD. Others jumped on board, claiming that graphics of that caliber could be achieved by greatly increasing asset qualities, and that higher resolutions aren't needed. When in fact, higher resolutions are exactly what it is, because that's how those CGI movies are made. Using extremely high resolutions (among other things, of course). They can still retain those high levels of detail while being viewed in SD, because the source material was pre-rendered, at higher resolutions. Being real time, video games have to render and display at the same time, so higher resolutions are absolutely needed, to make significant forward advances in real time graphics. After all, that is why modern games moved out SD resolutions, in the first place.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#606 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123

Are you using D3D Overrider? I hope so since that works and not from Nvidia Control Panel.

Ah, I remember using that back in the day for capping framerates so that my GPU wouldn't cook itself on loading screens that would give me crazy hgh framerates of like 900. I'll have to check it out again for this better V-Sync option. Anything speacial I need to know for it?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#607 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

arto1223

Ah, I remember using that back in the day for capping framerates so that my GPU wouldn't cook itself on loading screens that would give me crazy hgh framerates of like 900. I'll have to check it out again for this better V-Sync option. Anything speacial I need to know for it?

Well try both V-sync and Triple Buffering when using it. Helps a lot even when I play online games like BF3.