Interesting read on Black Ops 2's remarkable and revolutionary FPS storytelling

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 0

#51 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Maybe well presented and good, but how the fvck is it revolutionary? It hasn't seemed to change anything in the actual storytelling department.

Comparing it to the greats like Half Life 2 and Bioshock is unfavourable

OB-47

It changed how we look at storytelling in first person shooters. No longer do they have to be these tediously linear and cinematic treks down a predetermined path. Now we can change the course of the journey. That is why it is remarkable. That is why it's revolutionary.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

I just...I....people are really this clueless...they really are....how awful....

speedfreak48t5p

Search your feelings young rob, for you know it to be true. Black Ops 2's campaign is the highpoint of FPS storytelling this generation. The way it seamlessly integrates it's deep choice system amongst the chaos and suffering of the franchise's most memorable story is one of colossal success. Black Ops 2 is a benchmark in interactive storytelling. Don't let the hate obscure what you know in your heart.

:lol: Not sure if serious

It's Master_Shake.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The people that are bashing Black Ops 2...have they actually played it?

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

The people that are bashing Black Ops 2...have they actually played it?

JangoWuzHere
No just a bunch of bandwagoners who hate on it for being "shallow" yet jump all over **** like The Avengers
FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 FireSpirit117
Member since 2012 • 1926 Posts
"Remarkable storytelling" in the context of COD is already a failled concept from the get-go.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

Maybe well presented and good, but how the fvck is it revolutionary? It hasn't seemed to change anything in the actual storytelling department.

Master_ShakeXXX

It changed how we look at storytelling in first person shooters. No longer do they have to be these tediously linear and cinematic treks down a predetermined path. Now we can change the course of the journey. That is why it is remarkable. That is why it's revolutionary.

^Did not play Fallout 1, 2, or damn any decent RPG.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#57 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

Master_ShakeXXX

I'm not quite sure if unwittingly burning Michael Rooker's face or avoiding it constitutes revolution. The choices in this game are quite shallow. It's Mass Effect-lite.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

Who is talking about RPGs? He is talking about shooters...
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#59 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

FrozenLiquid

I'm not quite sure if unwittingly burning Michael Rooker's face or avoiding it constitutes revolution. The choices in this game are quite shallow. It's Mass Effect-lite.

For an FPS of the type it's pretty much unprecedented. I thought the choice system here was a lot more interesting than it was in Mass Effect.

I really like the idea of implementing choice into the gameplay and not making it pronounced. Hopefully they expand on it in the next Black Ops or whatever Treyarch makes.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="OB-47"]

JangoWuzHere

Fallout: New Vegas, then?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

People here give CoD a bad rap because of some mistakes it's made or because they don't like the series or whatever, but Black Ops II really does put a foot forward for the series.

I think that while zombies and multiplayer stagnate a bit, the campaign finally feels like far more than just a tutorial. It surpasses every other Call of Duty in sheer scope and ambition, with far more focus on the writing, much more in the way of freedom throughout the levels, and small touches like the access kit and weapon loadouts really shake things up, while the set pieces and focus on jumping between time periods makes it the most varied one to date as well.

Every Call of Duty campaign from the very first Call of Duty campaign have been linear, set piece focused affairs without much depth, and while BOII isn't particularly deep it is the deepest and most fun single player CoD yet. Multiplayer, well, it could be better but it's still fun. I can see myself replaying it several times because some of these choices are really awesome and tend to affect the story in some neat ways, while I also see myself experimenting with different loadouts for different levels.

Personally I think there are a few more things the series could do. The first Call of Duty game let me take a pistol separate to two main weapons instead of somehow keeping pistol and rifles in the same holster, while select fire should be something every weapon has (or doesn't have) instead of being an attachment I have to add on, but let's not bugger flies. I think the loadout system is great enough, but it really would make sense to bring back the three weapon system to add use to the pistols so I don't always replace them with a larger and more powerful secondary.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

JangoWuzHere

So it takes some inspiration from RPGs then. I don't see how it's revolutionary even in the context of shooters really.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

PannicAtack

Fallout: New Vegas, then?

Deus Ex. /argument
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Who cares? It's still a skilless shooter aimed at casuals

percuvius2

That could not have been stated any better.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
People played BLOPS 2 SP?MonsieurX
theres a blops 2 sp?
LittleMac19

Forum Posts