Intel Core 2 Quad VS PS3's Cell

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Painballz
Member since 2008 • 1058 Posts

Which is better?

I have always wondered which is stronger

Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Painballz
Member since 2008 • 1058 Posts
?
Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thebettertwin
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts
you know which is stronger this thread smells like weak flamebait to me
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Quad-Core I assume, the PS3 cell is like 3 years old'ish.
catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 catlin_czirr
Member since 2007 • 2545 Posts

I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.catlin_czirr
You know PC had folding at home first right?

It will all change with Nehalem later though.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
i belive the cell is
-wii60-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -wii60-
Member since 2007 • 3287 Posts
Out of order Processor >>> crippled in order processor that isn't even for gaming.
Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Thebettertwin

I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.catlin_czirr

are you serious???

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 catlin_czirr
Remember guys that consoles are different than PC's, the original XBOX has I think a 733mhz CPU and ran games like Doom 3 and Half-life 2
WildTurkey00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WildTurkey00
Member since 2005 • 4067 Posts

you know which is stronger this thread smells like weak flamebait to me Thebettertwin

Agree. Plus, this discussion could never accomplish anything.

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 catlin_czirr

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.Thebettertwin

are you serious???

Yeah, I have a q6600 core 2 quad, and honestly it is not the be all end all CPU, it's fast, but not OMG amazing.
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stereointegrity
Out of order Processor >>> crippled in order processor that isn't even for gaming.-wii60-
at any chance u get u bash the ps3...
Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thebettertwin
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.catlin_czirr

are you serious???

Yeah, I have a q6600 core 2 quad, and honestly it is not the be all end all CPU, it's fast, but not OMG amazing.

Remember guys that consoles are different than PC's, the original XBOX has I think a 733mhz CPU and ran games like Doom 3 and Half-life 2catlin_czirr

yes thats because the games have to be optimised to run on many different pcs you clearly have no idea what you are talking about because there is no way the cell > quad core

stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stereointegrity
[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"][QUOTE="Thebettertwin"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.Thebettertwin

are you serious???

Remember guys that consoles are different than PC's, the original XBOX has I think a 733mhz CPU and ran games like Doom 3 and Half-life 2catlin_czirr

yes thats because the games have to be optimised to run on many different pcs you clearly have no idea what you are talking about because there is no way the cell > quad core

show us ur proof stating other wise cause none of us really have any..so unless u come with proof this thread is a dud
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

Which is better?

I have always wondered which is stronger

Painballz

The cell has more gigaflops but the C2Q is better for gaming. The cell is like a hybrid GPU and CPU and its not that good at either.

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 catlin_czirr

are you serious???

Well than since your such a genius, why don't you tell me how a CPU with 4 cores running stock at 2.40ghz is superior to a CPu that needs a heatsink this big and has 7 cores and runs at 3.2ghz?

pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"]

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.catlin_czirr

are you serious???

Cell? probably beaten by any dual core released in the last 3 years.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

That is because PC ports to console are nearly always crippled :| and consoles are always the same, pc games have to run on multiple set up types. I don't buy into Sony's hype and numbers, Im going with the new tech thanks.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

The best answer anyone can give you is that there is no answer this question.

Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Thebettertwin
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"][QUOTE="catlin_czirr"][QUOTE="Thebettertwin"]

are you serious???

Well than since your such a genius, why don't you tell me how a CPU with 4 cores running stock at 2.40ghz is superior to a CPu that needs a heatsink this big and has 7 cores and runs at 3.2ghz?

Thats because the cell doesnt have 7 cores it has 7 spus which are not the same thing

stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stereointegrity

The best answer anyone can give you is that there is no answer this question.

Teufelhuhn
ding ding ding WINNAAAR!
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wartzay

I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.

catlin_czirr

Its 8 and 7 usable. One of them is a regular CPU and the rest are stream processors (just ALU's basically, same thing GPU's use). The one real regular CPU is a weak in order processor. Overall the cell much more powerful then a normal CPU at doing floating point math (but its not even close to a GPU) and much weaker at general purpose code. It has the advantage that the SPU's can be used for post processing effects but you cant multithread the game engine (except for sound and physics I believe) because the SPU's dont run general purpose cod well (if at all). If programmed right it can be great but this is quite hard as has been stated many times by devs. The two CPU's are way to different to be compared but as a programmer I would much rather use a C2Q.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Teuf_

One of them is a regular CPU and the rest are stream processors (just ALU's basically, same thing GPU's use). Wartzay

No just stop right there, that's not right at all. Please find someone other than major nelson to educate you.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

are you serious???

thats a joke right?? they use different artitectures you cannot compare them by speeds by you logic a 3.0ghz pentium D should beat a core 2 duo at 1.6ghz or a 1.8ghz amd x2 right ?? nope it doesn't work like that
jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts

are you serious???

the size of the heatsink has nothing to do with how fast the cpu is. all that means is cell puts off a more heat and needs the extra cooling. the cell chip in the ps3 was not made for general cpu use. so in a real world test im sure a quad at lower clock speeds would smoke the ps3 cell just because of improper optimization.

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wartzay

are you serious???

Um 7 of those 8 cores can only be used for floating point math and not general purpose code. Clock speed is useless when comparing different arechtechutres. That heatsink is for both the CPU and GPU and you my CPU heatsink is much bigger then that.

oldvander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 oldvander
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
Most pcs run for 32-64bit os. The ps2 was 128bit, so i'm wondering what ps3 is? Surely the bit rate determines the power?
pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.pieatorium

are you serious???

Cell? probably beaten by any dual core released in the last 3 years.

Actually going to call self ownage here i'd never actually looked into the cell i just assumed it was Sony hype, apparrently its quite the beast of a processor, i just assumed it wouldn't be because my 2 year old PC outperforms the consoles in game qaulity.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

ya like he said completely different

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

Most pcs run for 32-64bit os. The ps2 was 128bit, so i'm wondering what ps3 is? Surely the bit rate determines the power?oldvander

i dont believe thats the case anymore

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wartzay

Most pcs run for 32-64bit os. The ps2 was 128bit, so i'm wondering what ps3 is? Surely the bit rate determines the power?oldvander

The PS3 is 64 bit. The EE was 128 bit because it was a custome CPU and Sony was still in the bit wars mode. Bits dont mean anything these days, there are way to many other, much more importent factors. PC's were 32 bit for like 20 years. The main reason PC's went to 64 bit is so they can address more then 4 GB's of ram.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Teuf_

Um 7 of those 8 cores can only be used for floating point math and not general purpose code. Wartzay

Do you even know what general purpose code is? If you did you would know why you're incredibly wrong, and why developers manage to run AI, physics, graphics, and gameplay code on the SPE's.

And FYI, the SPE's don't just do floating point.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

it depends on what u want it to do.

the cell is a number cruncher...and it is very very very good at it. at the mo theres no two ways about it, a cell will out number crunch any high end PC s CPU..it just loves to chew through sheer abouts of data. folding at home is evidence of this....with PS3s making a huge contribution in a relatively shrot space of time. the cell can also do a better job at graphics (which basically boils down to sheer number crunching) compared to a core 2 quad. the only PC component that can out number cruch a cell is a GPU....an 8800)) or a HD 3870 will beat seven shades of crap out of the cell in a number crunching race.

however.....the core 2 quad is a far more flexible piece of kit and is far better at making decisions compared to the cell. its better at scheduling and rescheduling its time based on changing demands also. its also a very capable number cruncher in its own right (anythign that can do crysis physics diserves kudos).

which would i choose for games? well if i was to build a dedicated machine that could only have a CPU then i would choose the cell. it can do a better job at graphics and its abilites in terms of AI and all that is adequate.

however a PC is a very different kettle of fish compared to a console. a PCs cpu is not optimized for graphics and sheer number crunching because it doesent need to be...flexibility is more important in the PCs enviroenment. the GPU does alot more graphics work on PC compared to a console. having something like the cell in a PC as it is now wouldnt bring any major benefit to it.

njpj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 njpj
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.lettuceman44

You know PC had folding at home first right?

It will all change with Nehalem later though.

Yes this is true, PC had Folding@home first, but what is true aswell is that my PC a quad core is being crushed by cell-running PS3's in process-performance. It's simply a amazing piece of hardware when it's put into full performance with programs such as Folding@home.

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wartzay

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]Remember guys that consoles are different than PC's, the original XBOX has I think a 733mhz CPU and ran games like Doom 3 and Half-life 2xfactor19990

ya like he said completely different

That example was wrong. The Xbox uses a 733 MHz PIII which is a PC cpu. It only ran Half Life and Doom 3 at massivily lowered resolutions (640x480), much smaller textures, and no shaders at all (the GF2 in the Xbox used fixed function shaders).

Edit: This is what a big heatsink looks like.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teuf_

That example was wrong. The Xbox uses a 733 MHz PIII which is a PC cpu. It only ran Half Life and Doom 3 at massivily lowered resolutions (640x480), much smaller textures, and no shaders at all (the GF2 in the Xbox used fixed function shaders).

Wartzay

This is the last time I'm going to point out that you have no idea what you're talking about. The CPU would have nothing at all to do with resolution, textures, or shaders. Those would place bottlenecks on the GPU, and nowhere else. Using those to point out that a CPU was weak is like using a baseball player's RBI's to judge how good he is at playing second base.

And the Xbox DID have shaders, since NV2A was similar to a GeForce 4 and even the GeForce 3 fully supported vertex and pixel shaders. I still have the Xbox SDK lying around somewhere, would you like me to send you pictures?
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"]

are you serious???

A Duo Core let alone quad is better gor gaming than the Cell....

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wartzay
[QUOTE="Wartzay"]

Um 7 of those 8 cores can only be used for floating point math and not general purpose code. Teufelhuhn

Do you even know what general purpose code is? If you did you would know why you're incredibly wrong, and why developers manage to run AI, physics, graphics, and gameplay code on the SPE's.

And FYI, the SPE's don't just do floating point.

Yes I do I am a programmer myself. You are correct the SPE's can do some GPC but not much, just like GPU's. I was under the impression that only physics and graphics code is run on the SPE's because that mostly involves number crunching.

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html

That explains it all, the SPE's are math processors and the PPE must set up its tasks. Just like the CPU sets up tasks for the GPU.

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wartzay
[QUOTE="Wartzay"]

Teufelhuhn

This is the last time I'm going to point out that you have no idea what you're talking about. The CPU would have nothing at all to do with resolution, textures, or shaders. Those would place bottlenecks on the GPU, and nowhere else. Using those to point out that a CPU was weak is like using a baseball player's RBI's to judge how good he is at playing second base.

And the Xbox DID have shaders, since NV2A was similar to a GeForce 4 and even the GeForce 3 fully supported vertex and pixel shaders. I still have the Xbox SDK lying around somewhere, would you like me to send you pictures?

Dude a 733MHz P3 cannot run Doom 3 and Half Life 2 at high settings even if you are using a 8800. The GPU as a GF2 derivative and used fixed function shaders. HL2 used extrremely advanced physics for its day.

oldvander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 oldvander
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

[QUOTE="oldvander"]Most pcs run for 32-64bit os. The ps2 was 128bit, so i'm wondering what ps3 is? Surely the bit rate determines the power?xfactor19990

What does the bit rate do/what is it used for?

Crunchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Crunchman
Member since 2003 • 9316 Posts
If Cell is developed further, then it has the potential to be better(so, we can't compare the one featured in the PS3). However, the only thing we can be sure about is that the Intel C2Q is better at general operations, mainly because that was one of the goals it was built towards.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"]

are you serious???

That's because currently no games, that I know of, support quad cores 100%.

Crunchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Crunchman
Member since 2003 • 9316 Posts

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.MTBare

are you serious???

That is, until Alan Wake comes out. Whenever it does...

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
It depends. The cell is better at crunching number and for raw CPU power while the Core 2 Quad is good for multitasking everyday computing like Internet, email, etc.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teuf_
Yes I do I am a programmer myself. Wartzay

No offense but is that supposed to prove to me that you know what you're talking about here? You still haven't told me what "general purpose code" is. I'd love to know who writes code that doesn't actually have a specific purpose, especially in a game. So please stop with the unqualified statements like "SPE's can't do this" or "SPE's can do this, but not much". An SPE is not a GPU or a DSP or whatever you think it is.

That explains it all, the SPE's are math processors and the PPE must set up its tasks. Just like the CPU sets up tasks for the GPU. Wartzay

SPE's are capable of independently running code without any intervention from the PPE, that's not something a GPU can do. Again, an SPE is not a GPU. Stop trying to pretend it is.

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wartzay

[QUOTE="catlin_czirr"]I believe the Cell has like 7 cores (6 usable) and IBM put like billions of dollars or something into develoing it, and the C2Q you can get for like $300 on newegg, also the Cell is uses to cure cancer and stuff (folding at home) so im gonna have to go with Cell.MTBare

are you serious???

Supreme Commander comes close, but its limited by XP and Vista's still rather weak multi-core performance.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Teuf_
[QUOTE="xfactor19990"]

[QUOTE="oldvander"]Most pcs run for 32-64bit os. The ps2 was 128bit, so i'm wondering what ps3 is? Surely the bit rate determines the power?oldvander

What does the bit rate do/what is it used for?

IT usually refers to the natural word size for a CPU. If that means nothing to do you, don't worry about it. The word size is something that's completely meaningless to a consumer, it was just used as a marketing tool since people like numbers.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Teuf_

Dude a 733MHz P3 cannot run Doom 3 and Half Life 2 at high settings even if you are using a 8800. . HL2 used extrremely advanced physics for its day.

Wartzay

High settings involve more things than just bumping up resolution and texture size. Like I already said, you can scale up resolution all you want and it will put no more load on the CPU since all you need for that is fillrate and memory. If you don't understand why this is the case, then you don't understand how GPU's and graphics work.

The GPU as a GF2 derivative and used fixed function shaders

Wartzay

Ohhhhh, now you've done it.