IMO, iOS, Android, NGP and 3DS war will dwarf the console battle in a few years.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

:DiOS gaming on the iPhone/iPod considered legit and hugley popular(regardless of SW thinks)

Android is huge and spread out across multiple devices from many manufacturers and the smart phone/device market will just continue to grow.

The Tablet market once shunned and many believed was just a fad has proven succesfful for Apple with the iPad& iPad 2 and now we have many tablets all coming this year.

Motorola Xoom, Galaxy, HP touchpad, Playbook, etc, etc....

Lest we not forget the Veteran king Nintendo with the recently launched 3DS and Sony's latest attempt NGp later down the road coming out.

All can play games (once again it doesn't matter if SW considers them hardcore games or not) , many having multimedia functions, very powerful and are all mobile.

Easy to get into with little commitment required, a lot of them having games easy to download on the fly, online multiplayer features, games services and you can even connect to your HDTV and play in full 1080p!!

I notice a rumbling between Android users and iOS, and I expect this to innevitably involve 3DS and NGP gamers as well.

Can't wait to see the chaos ensue

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Will SW will be inundated with handheld graphics king threads?

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

probably.LOL

There are quite a few games that will be multiplatform across Android and iOS from Gameloft if not already.

I expect to see those comparrison debates coming up and eventually between the tablets and NGP, 3DS.

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
Alot of great looking android games especially for Tegra 2 devices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82kqXG1F400
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

IOS has tons of games, its a shame that they are almost completly ignored here on this site... I would really like them to review some of these games..

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Alot of great looking android games especially for Tegra 2 devices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82kqXG1F400raskullibur

The first game in your video, the strategy one, why should I play that instead of Shogun 2 for example. It is clear that that's an inferior version of it. The same can be said for all the other games in tablet and phones. They are ok for ios, android, handhelds but not yet at the same level with the consoles and pc games.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Those Android games look awesome. Yeah, I agree, iOS & Android count and the competition will be fierce this gen.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I don't expect much of a war.

Any smart developer will go multi-plat, develop for the weakest portable and just port it over to the rest.

Beck1110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Beck1110
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

As good as portable gaming may get I don't think that our current method of gaming will change much and I don't think it will dwarf the "war". If anything it will extend the consumer base that gaming appeals to.

It's two different formats and I hope they will never replace each other. I don't want to play games on a portable device when I can play games on my big tv in comfort of my living room. Can you really see everyone that takes public transport playing these sort of games? As cool as it may be I don't think portable gaming will ever live up to the success of console / pc gaming.

Or may I hope it won't =P

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Maybe but i think it will be largely ignored here in SW as many do not care for handhelds at all. I am very instrested in NGP and 3DS.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I cant game on such small screens, its a horrible thing to experience.

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PA_DUTCH

edinsftw
Its really not that bad. Well at least for me. To each there own. Still i rather be playing great games when I'm waiting around or on a plane or at night in hotel rooms ect...
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

PA_DUTCH

Its really not that bad. Well at least for me. To each there own. Still i rather be playing great games when I'm waiting around or on a plane or at night in hotel rooms ect...

Of course it's good when you're travelling but when you're in home in front of your big TV then I don't see how it will replace the console.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Android xperia play vs NGP

BATTLE OF THE SIBLINGS!!!

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
iOS and Android shouldn't count, they're supposed to be phones! :x
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dercoo

iOS and Android shouldn't count, they're supposed to be phones! :x Cloud_765

What about...

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PA_DUTCH

[QUOTE="PA_DUTCH"][QUOTE="edinsftw"]

edidili

Of course it's good when you're travelling but when you're in home in front of your big TV then I don't see how it will replace the console.

Yeah i agree....well for me i do play the PSP at home over the wii sometimes but i get what your saying.
TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

Mobile gaming has always been big, and it's only going to get bigger. Nintendo really hit it off with the DS, and now with the iPhone/iPad gaming growing, and Android devices booming in popularity they'll be many products out there to play games on.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Why do people keep insisting that cell phones are gaming platforms? They're really not well suited for playing games since most of them have awkward button layouts, or no buttons at all, and trying to control games with your big, fat finger on a touchscreen is so awkward.

Another big problem is that they charge way too little, meaning that the most profitable games will be ones that are cheap to produce which will inevitably lead to the market being flooded with cheap games.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

I can see this happening as trends start to sway from home console gaming towards handheld. (Outside of Japan that is)

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud_765"]iOS and Android shouldn't count, they're supposed to be phones! :x dercoo

What about...

I think it'll fail for the same reason the n-gage failed: people either want a handheld gaming console, or they want a cell phone. Putting both in the same device is not a particularly intuitive combination.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_765"]iOS and Android shouldn't count, they're supposed to be phones! :x dzimm

What about...

I think it'll fail for the same reason the n-gage failed: people either want a handheld gaming console, or they want a cell phone. Putting both in the same device is not a particularly intuitive combination.

N gage failed for 2 reasons

1. It was a ****** phone. Watching people try to use the phone was hilarious though.

2. It was a ****** game platform. Did you see the games on it. What few there were were just plain awful.

Sony xperia play has

1. Android gingerbread, making it one of the best smart phones out there.

2. It has game support from a major gaming company(sony), and many other game developers and producers.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Alright, time to start locking all threads that are blog material.