I'm really disappointed with Spider-Man (PS4)

• 76 results
henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I know: posts dissing the new Spider-Man are instantly locked and their creators banned. But my disappointment with the game is so deep I must express it out loud. So ban me if you want, I care not...

Anyways...

So, Spider-Man...

First of all, the sandbox turned out to be shallow stage that does not feel like real city. And the npcs are zombies.

Second, the combat system that was copied from Arkham Knight is far worse than Arkham. It just does not have the polish Arkham did. On top of that, you can beat all enemies with same few tricks, making most of the special attacks totally pointless.

Third, the game forces you to listen to 'save the environment' lectures, and then forces you to clean up manhattan of pollution via the most tedious 'save the environment' missions imaginable. Optional, sure, but you need to do those missions to get all the suits. Ghastly!

Fourth, the MJ sections are really boring.

Pretty much everything in the game has been disappointment. Falling short of the AAA mark.

I could rant some more, but I suspect nobody cares so I wont. But I feel better now to having gotten that off me chest.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go and swap my PS4 for Xbone. Yeah. I'm that disgusted with this game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61525 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go and swap my PS4 for Xbone. Yeah. I'm that disgusted with this game.

I don't think anybody believes that.

Your gripes are reasonable, and are not unfounded. The game was by no means perfect, but the actual gameplay enticed me to Platinum the game, and that largely never happens for a PS4 game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

The stealth was so fucking garbage. I rushed through those stages. No clue why they were in it, and don't give me that variety bullshit excuse.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15977 Posts

Aside from clickbait at the end, spidey does has issues. Too bad it stopped you from enjoying the game.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@henrythefifth: lol I love how people act like Arkham games were the first to do that Combat. Lmao!

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Can't tell if actual complaint or bad trolling.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dobzilian: Bad trolling like 99% of the trash on these forums.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

The only thing I was disappointed with was the missions where you play as M.J. or Miles. I didn't get a superhero game to play as a person that sneaks around and loses the second they are spotted.

And that there wasn't more to play. This is one of the only games I ever wanted to keep playing. It's usually very difficult for me to care enough to play a game after the story is over. With this I did everything there was to do and then started the game again a few days later. I'm only not playing that play through now because I'm waiting for the new game plus update.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2957 Posts

I don't care about Spiderman. I'm currently playing God of War. Which is probably a much better reason to own a PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Strange...Spiderman was receiving all kinds of praise on these boards before release and during the first few days. Now...suddenly this game is a shallow disappointment?

I'm still interested in picking up Spiderman but I highly doubt I'll grab it anytime soon. Got Forza Horizon 4 on my plate and some multi-player games to hold me until Red Dead Redemption 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@vfighter said:

And yet the OP is of your ilk.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts

@MuD3 said:

The only thing I was disappointed with was the missions where you play as M.J. or Miles. I didn't get a superhero game to play as a person that sneaks around and loses the second they are spotted.

Sounds boring. Does it seem forced?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@blackhairedhero: what game did that combat before Arkham? Genuine question...

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blackhairedhero

@djoffer: Spiderman 2. Watch the angry joe review of Spiderman.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Spider-Man is a good game, but it feels like a Ubisoft Asscreed game at times. Meaning there is a lot of fluff content. This really isn't a bad thing to have every once in a while. It's only bad when a publisher annualizes this kind of game.

Ubisoft overused the formula in Assassin's Creed, then it went to Far Cry and then they made Watch Dogs.

This is starting to be a problem with AAA open world games. The games feel like they are being made on an assembly line and missions are copy and pasted with minimal variation or complexity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@dagubot: It's not that strange. My experience with the game was like that. You fall in love with the movement and the combat feels fluid but the more you play the more it shows how shallow the game is.

The movement never stops feeling great but the combat quickly becomes rinse and repeat. Side content usually made me scratch my head in disbelief. We're talking of boring stuff that's given some variation and mostly feels like pure uninspired filler.

And the other characters you play as... The only redemption is that they take you from the tedious main game, but is just nothing. Some of the most low effort stealth I've seen in a game.

Plus the last third of the game is really messy and feels unpolished. The amount of small bugs and glitches I got is insane.

Having said this, it's not a bad game. It's a very easy platinum and you will definitely have fun with it but... it's flaws really started to weigh on me the more I played it. And at the end of the day it's just a very average game with great movement and slick presentation.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
@PSP107 said:
@MuD3 said:

Sounds boring. Does it seem forced?

It was and it does.

There were maybe 5 or more in the game. Luckily they were short but it would have been a better game without them.

There was one where you sneak as M.J. and instruct Spider-Man to take guys out. That one was okay.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@blackhairedhero: Bullshitttttttttt.

Just because Angry Joe says something, that doesn’t make it true. Spider-Man PS4 obviously drew a lot of influence from Arkham’s combat. Both of these games have much more in common with each other than Spider-Man 2. It’s not just about how the character attacks and reacts, but the enemy types are almost identical. Normal enemies, normal enemies with guns, large enemies that require a lot of hits, baton enemies that require some kind of stun, shield enemies that require you to get behind.

I’m not even saying it’s a bad thing Insomnianc drew inspiration from the Arkham games. It works very well. I actually like Spider-Man’s combat better with the edition of his gadgets and suit powers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Play a different game.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackhairedhero

@Ross_the_Boss6: I'm saying the whole Parry, melle system started with Spiderman 2. I've played it and you can watch gameplay videos of it. Arkham games didn't come up with it but you could say they certainly improved it. And yes I'm sure Spiderman does draw inspiration from the Arkham games. That's ok to me because I loved those as well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34724 Posts

You didn't like Spiderman's Creed? Pretty sure I wouldn't either. Especially not in 30 fps. Ew.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I didn't have that much fun and felt too many problems with everything, and better off doing a movie tie in for the actual good Spider-Man movie, rather than remake another universe after they did such a good job. Might as well be a walking simulator if you remove the swinging or another generic open world game everyone been complaining about for years. Yeah cool that we finally got a good Spider-Man game, just feels too late, or too soon. The campaign is best part, but its my least favorite Insomiac Game, and found Sunset Overdrive way more fun, and felt like a Insomiac game, rather than a game they made for Marvel and Sony.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22406 Posts

Shhh, not allowed to criticize PS exclusives on here.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34724 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Where does this come from? Did someone recently bash a Sony game in an idiotic way and is now acting like this place is run by Sony fanboys?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VFighter

@i_p_daily: Thanks, that means jack shit to me.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Most of the stuff that kept you from enjoying the game were nitpicks from me and were overshadowed by how much fun the game overall was.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45370 Posts

TC being quite dramatic, but whatever floats your boat.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@vfighter said:

But mostly because it's negativity towards a PS4 exclusive, right?
If this thread was aimed at a game on a different platform, you'd be the first to agree.

Moo, so predictable.

It's only popular because it's Spider-Man and because it's a PS4 exclusive.
It's not actually a particularly good, deep or long game by any means.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

@Litchie said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Where does this come from? Did someone recently bash a Sony game in an idiotic way and is now acting like this place is run by Sony fanboys?

Lemmings think everything is a conspiracy, that's how they damage control nowadays

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts
@zappat said:
@Litchie said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lemmings think everything is a conspiracy, that's how they damage control nowadays

Not here specifically, but I've had posts removed/closed. One was for talking about a Xbox game in a PS4 post, and people offended for letting people know of a recommendation. I've also had things I wrote completely erased for talking about how Xbox does things in a Nintendo section, when subject was online/gold.

Worst is how regulars react. You ask Xbox gamers about something PS4, and they just casually talk, most hardcore Xbox places I see them comfortable talking Xbox. But gawd forbid you ask a PS4 gamer about a Xbox game, or even mention Xbox in a PS4 place. PS4 is suppose to be so dominant, yet, people still talk and react like they have the inferior PS3 being undermined and games underrated, when the "loser" of a generation, their fans are suppose to be the ones harassing everyone and being butthurt, so don't get why PS4 fans are still hostile and dramatic towards Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

@djoffer: Spiderman 2. Watch the angry joe review of Spiderman.

Completely wrong.

1.In SM 2 you have a dodge button instead of counter attack

2.In SM 2 gaining more and more combo counter doesn't make you faster like Batman.

3.In SM 2 the only tactic to fight enemies is just to dodge-attack-attack but in batman it's not as brainless as that.

4.In SM 2 enemies may block your attacks but in Batman it's not like that(Only some goons with special weapons will do that)

5.In SM you have juggles and air attacks which in Batman you have none.

6. SM 2 doesn't allow you to take down enemies instantly after your combo meter goes every 5-7 numbers.

7.Batman also added a stun system for enemies which SM 2 didn't have any.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

The stealth was so fucking garbage. I rushed through those stages. No clue why they were in it, and don't give me that variety bullshit excuse.

Agreed. If mixing bad sections with good ones constitutes "variety" then I don't want variety.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Note that I played well over half way thru the game, with completion hitting 60% at the time of quitting in disgust. And all in all spent about 11 hours on it.

Forgot to mention that the music in the game was equally bad, so I had to turn it off completely hour into the game..

And dont get me started on lip sync. Sometimes the characters speak, and the lips start moving after the person has said what he has said! OMG what the heck? And I did patch the game, although I did not see any difference before and after patching at all, except for the photo mode.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

@saltslasher said:
@zappat said:
@Litchie said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Not here specifically, but I've had posts removed/closed. One was for talking about a Xbox game in a PS4 post, and people offended for letting people know of a recommendation. I've also had things I wrote completely erased for talking about how Xbox does things in a Nintendo section, when subject was online/gold.

Worst is how regulars react. You ask Xbox gamers about something PS4, and they just casually talk, most hardcore Xbox places I see them comfortable talking Xbox. But gawd forbid you ask a PS4 gamer about a Xbox game, or even mention Xbox in a PS4 place. PS4 is suppose to be so dominant, yet, people still talk and react like they have the inferior PS3 being undermined and games underrated, when the "loser" of a generation, their fans are suppose to be the ones harassing everyone and being butthurt, so don't get why PS4 fans are still hostile and dramatic towards Xbox.

That's all in your head. Just see any thread here mentioning something about the Xbox and you'll see a bunch of lemmings get triggered instantly. In this thread there's almost no cow complaining and yet you get a lemming crying already.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VFighter

@Sgt_Crow: FH4 got great reviews and I'm sure some nutty fanboys talked shit about it, if you can find me doing such a thing please post some links or stfu.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44214 Posts

Yeah, I've heard these same complaints all over the place. As most in the know suspected, Phony, just like with GoW, really shelled out the cash for the high review scores for SM. lol

The WebHead is Dead. :P

Lotuss5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lotuss5
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Apparently by many reviews that I have read my fear has been fulfilled. Graphically the game is very good but when playing everything is very automated.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

Very good game probably on par to what I expected. Graphically stunning in places and patchy in others there are certain areas where your not supposed to go that look poor though. I have missed a good Spiderman game that maybe pushed this above what I'd normally score this.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22864 Posts

@henrythefifth: I'm not locking your thread and I'm not banning you... Shoot from the hip. You get to have an opinion on something you spent your money on. If people don't like it they can cry in their my little pony pillows.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

im going in balls deep the game isn't perfect but ive never had so much fun with a spiderman game so stop moaning and play something that makes you happy

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6:

Ok, Spiderman ps4's combat is almost NOTHING like Batman Arkham! The only thing even remotely close is the fact that you can dodge enemy attacks which is not exclusive to Batman Arkham games. But everything else is different. Most of that is due to Spiderman's abilities.

* Batman was basically a walking tree in combat. You could hop over enemies at a time and it really limited your range of combat.

*Spiderman can get enemies from virtually anywhere at any distance.

*Batman's use of the environment was limited to his strength and gadgets.

*Spiderman's use of the environment can range to larger objects and even the ability to use the enemies' weapons against them.

*Batman didn't have special moves.

*Spiderman has special moves.

*Batman's dodge ability made him practically unbeatable as long as you have the counter icon. Not to mention that Batman's counters involved a counter attack. You could beat thugs silly without ever having to attack.

*Spiderman's dodge ability forces you to judge the trajectory of incoming attacks. So if you don't move out of the way, you'll still get hit. Even if you pressed the counter button in time.

All of this (except for the special move feature and gadgets) ALREADY EXISTED in previous Spiderman games. The fundamentals haven't changed. To say that this is a direct copy of Arkham combat is downright stupid and ignorant to how Spiderman combat has been like in the past. This IS how Spiderman fights!

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#42 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@lotuss5:

The only thing automated is the free running but everything else is controlled. Free running is basically like the run button in Assassin's Creed where Spidey jumps automatically as long as you hold the sprint button. It's not the only way to move though but it sure looks cool!

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sgt_Crow

@vfighter said:

@Sgt_Crow: FH4 got great reviews and I'm sure some nutty fanboys talked shit about it, if you can find me doing such a thing please post some links or stfu.

FH4, what? Lol.
I'm calling you out since you're dismissing everything that doesn't suit your agenda.

Ironically, you're the nutty fanboy.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

@Sgt_Crow: Weird, over the years I was called a Nintendo Fanboy but now I'm suddenly a Sony Fanboy for pointing out bad trolling.

Let's see how many exclusives I own on ps4 made by Sony..... Last of us, god of war 3. God of war wasn't all that in comparison to Bayonetta. Last of us was fun game but only one play through. Hell the WiiU has better exclusives than ps4 where my most played games are probably SF5 or Doom.

Oh I love spider man but I haven't brought the game nor paid much attention to the game as I don't buy into HYPE or reviews. Check my post history and see how many discussions I've been involved with about spider man or actually any Sony game and the number will probably be quite small.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sgt_Crow

@dobzilian: Who are you?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10517 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Spider-Man is a good game, but it feels like a Ubisoft Asscreed game at times. Meaning there is a lot of fluff content. This really isn't a bad thing to have every once in a while.

i agree with all but the last sentence. the ubisoft template makes for shallow, quantity over quality games. devs need to find their own ways of doing things, there's very little of value to take from ubisoft's done to death formula. it was disappointing to see spiderman borrow large chunks of it

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

Nice to hear some criticism. Honestly, outside of an incredibly vocal group praising it for a day or two after release, I really haven't heard all that much tbh. Nothing neutral, nothing negative. That sort of raises concern.

It sort of came, a few people were like "Yay! That's our awesome exclusive for the quarter", and then it was gone.

I wonder how it feels having good games doled out to you at a slow rate, just enough to keep you hooked on the line. Almost forces you to love what you get, for better or worse, because you have no choice.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: I never said they copied, simply that they drew inspiration(and truthfully made it much better). Again I will say it’s not just about how Spider-Man attacks and reacts, but the enemy types you go up against are very similar as well.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Best part of the game was the swinging mechanics.

Combat is smooth and fluid but I agree with the rinse and repeat

Mj and miles missions are trash

Also the TC diddnt mention the puzzles in doc ocs lab, those puzzles are so borring and tedious.

I give it an 8/10 that being said I'm a sucker for spiderman games, I always play them. Spiderman and ratchet and clank are the best sony exclusives. God of war was trash imo. Horizon was good but tedious as hell. Even more rinse and repeat than Spiderman.

Good luck with your Xbox, I'm waiting for next gen to jump ship. Ive invested too much into my ps4 to switch this far in the cycle.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Mj portions were stupid

City very much feels alive.

Side missions felt Meh at best