IGN: Why the Indie Hate? Also: PC Gamers Ahead of Curve!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Excerpt:

When I think about the best games of 2014 so far, my mind immediately goes to smaller experiences: Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, and the best one of them all, a true indie called Shovel Knight. Sure, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Infamous: Second Son, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, and others are up there, but let this be illustrative of a single point: these games can co-exist, make you happy, and complement one another. One doesn't exist at the sake of another, and both can justify purchasing of a console or handheld. PC gamers in particular already know this better than anyone else (which isn’t a surprise, since they’ve also been way ahead of the curve of the inevitable digital-only revolution). Indies and smaller titles dominate Steam, yet that doesn’t stop PC gamers from playing some of the giant games from giant developers, either. They typically don't look at the term "indie" in a pejorative light, because they're already exist in the comfortable space that consoles are slowly but surely headed toward.

Link

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Not bad, but lol Colin Moriarty

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

The indy hate is because the fanboys system of choice doesn't have many great indy's yet, same goes for ANY genre hate most of the time.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Problem is, PC doesn't just have indie games and re-releases like the POS4

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

There are like a billion Indy games on PC and even though 95% of them suck it's only a matter of mathematics that some are going to be really great.

I'm sure if there were that many AAA titles there would be more TLoU quality titles.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

^ this is most likely the first time this guy says something that make sense. lol

Well, at least the most sense yet.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

So many games are 'indie' these days without people knowing they are.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blabadon

@Gue1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

this is most likely the first time this guy says something that make sense. lol

Yes Gue, tell us all about your excellent comprehension of people.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

(which isn’t a surprise, since they’ve also been way ahead of the curve of the inevitable digital-only revolution).

I love seeing the reactionaires fight back against it like its a bad thing. "Buh buh I still have all my betamax's", yea its the digital age there fred flintstone.

@RoboCopISJesus said:

The indy hate is because the fanboys system of choice doesn't have many great indy's yet, same goes for ANY genre hate most of the time.

So this, yet they apparently love any that get released for their machines.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

The indie hate comes because people spent $400 + $50 a year to play on "the most powerful console", and are only getting small indie games (of which many are old ports), and old ports of last-gen console games.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Divinity: Original Sin is an indie game and it's better than any lame ass Final Fantasy that's come out in the last 15 years.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I don't see what's bad about them.

A game is a game.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

PC gamers have always been ahead of the curve

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Indie games are fun, at least, (SURPRISE) the good ones are fun, just like how the good AAA games are the fun ones. I do think that indie gets overblown sometimes (I really enjoyed the recent Shovel Knight but people are calling it one of the greatest games of all time and I'm just not seeing it) and people place too much value on it but still, there are good indie titles and there are good AAA titles. Hell, one of my favorite games I've played this year is Hotline Miami. that is a game I'd be comfortable in saying is original without being pretentious.

But with titles like Journey? I can understand the emotional reaction to it, I guess, but people calling it GOTY? The game is about two hours long and has almost no replay value, and the actual gameplay that is there is rather sparse. No, it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but holy shit did that game get more hype than was deserved. That's an example where I think that people placed far too much value on it being Indie. Now, I can appreciate that the developers were working at something completely different and I like that. New ideas are always a good thing. But the end result is good for one, maybe two play throughs at most (around 4 or 5 hours of play time) and then there's nothing left to it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@gameofthering said:

I don't see what's bad about them.

A game is a game.

This .

I never understood what "indie" really means . Is it related to low budget and production values .? If so then is smaller titles published by big corps like UBISOFT are also indie .? Or it's something related to developers being independent . Is Half Life 2 an indie game , in that case .?

The fact is , a game is a game . It is either a good game or a bad one . Word "indie" is just used by people to bash other platform's library . At least PC have both "indie" and AAA games , instead of having only "indie" .

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Indie games are fun, at least, (SURPRISE) the good ones are fun, just like how the good AAA games are the fun ones. I do think that indie gets overblown sometimes (I really enjoyed the recent Shovel Knight but people are calling it one of the greatest games of all time and I'm just not seeing it) and people place too much value on it but still, there are good indie titles and there are good AAA titles. Hell, one of my favorite games I've played this year is Hotline Miami. that is a game I'd be comfortable in saying is original without being pretentious.

But with titles like Journey? I can understand the emotional reaction to it, I guess, but people calling it GOTY? The game is about two hours long and has almost no replay value, and the actual gameplay that is there is rather sparse. No, it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but holy shit did that game get more hype than was deserved. That's an example where I think that people placed far too much value on it being Indie. Now, I can appreciate that the developers were working at something completely different and I like that. New ideas are always a good thing. But the end result is good for one, maybe two play throughs at most (around 4 or 5 hours of play time) and then there's nothing left to it.

Have you played FTL? Esp with the advanced edition its flat out amazing

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Ok.. I gotta ask...

Who the F*** is hating on indies? Who are these mysterious people/gamers everyone keeps referring to.. but not showing any evidence. Who are these people?

Can't say consolers because the 360 has had a TON of indies (most crap) for the last 4+ years.. so who are these people?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

Ok.. I gotta ask...

Who the F*** is hating on indies? Who are these mysterious people/gamers everyone keeps referring to.. but not showing any evidence. Who are these people?

Can't say consolers because the 360 has had a TON of indies (most crap) for the last 4+ years.. so who are these people?

console fanboys who think indies are only 2d $10 budget titles

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blabadon

@blue_hazy_basic: And it's today's deal of the day on Steam!

I was gonna buy it but it turns out I own it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

Article very false. Look at the scorn greenlight gets, the scorn early access has, the scorn indie developers of games like Garrys incidence and so fourth...

Seems like the writer is attempting to pander to hipsters and as such, should **** off back Starbucks with all the other tossers.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic: I have yet to play it but I will def check it out hen I get the chance.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@OhSnapitz said:

Ok.. I gotta ask...

Shielder, Cranler, PS4hasnogames, Am-Gamer, M3boarder, etc.

Basically a big portion of regular posters here....

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts
@OhSnapitz said:

Ok.. I gotta ask...

I do remember alot ofmocking of indie games by the playstation fanbase, and even so xbox fanboys, for the last couple of years before next gen, because of their AAA exclusives.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

The influx or 2D pixel platformers turns me off. I don't get why these get a pass. The same people that groan whenever a brown and gray military shooter comes out turn around and act like SNES pixel art is some wholly unique art style never before seen and the gameplay, which is a blatant bite of some game they played back in 2nd grade, is earth shattering. I don't get that.

Path of Exile, Transistor, Walking Dead, Ryme, Banished, etc... give me those games all day. The 100th pixel art platformer to come out in a month though? No thanks. It was cool at first but now it's been beaten to death and has been played out for years now.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai came out april 2009 (5 years ago) and was well received by the XB community.

Castle Crashers came out 2008 (almost 6 years ago) and was well received by the XB community.

So Indies have been gracing the consoles for quite some time.. but we're going to listen to the comments of a few trolls.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't hate indie games. Flying Wild Hog is an indie developer and they're the ones who made Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior. Looking at Wiki, it looks like they're making a third game which is a *gasp* sidescroller. Not my cup of tea. But, oh well.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Ok.. I gotta ask...

Shielder, Cranler, PS4hasnogames, Am-Gamer, M3boarder, etc.

Basically a big portion of regular posters here....

As much as Cranler says he's a manticore and he knows everything while you can easily tell he's bsing... he hasn't hated on indies as far as I recall. But you can replace him with lglz1337 if you wish.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

The very best indie games have outpaced the very best of big budget games over the past few years, I'd say easily...

In my opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone in particular, but if you are entering into your thought process the idea that a game is irrelevant because of the size of the budget, team, genre, graphics... and every other stereotypical trashing of indies you can muster, you have allowed your brain to grow very small... all games are going for different experiences and different hooks to pull you in...

Blessed are the developers that create with total freedom.

Blessed are the developers who create something bold and unique.

Blessed are the developers who realize that just because a genre is old doesn't mean it's tired.

Blessed are the gamers smart enough to expand their experiences in the hobby.

Corinthians 16:8

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@TheEroica said:

The very best indie games have outpaced the very best of big budget games over the past few years, I'd say easily...

In my opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone in particular, but if you are entering into your thought process the idea that a game is irrelevant because of the size of the budget, team, genre, graphics... and every other stereotypical trashing of indies you can muster, you have allowed your brain to grow very small... all games are going for different experiences and different hooks to pull you in...

Blessed are the developers who realize that just because a genre is old doesn't mean it's tired.

Well said.

Speaks volumes when the 4th most played game for the last 2 weeks on steam is a free2play minecraft meets day z incredibly low production values, yet is fun as hell on large servers.... 60k people playing it after 2 weeks at peak.

Best part... its made by one 16 year old boy... and hes updating it often and talking to the community on steam often.

The most embarassing bit? it practicaly has as much content as Day Z stand alone..... ofcourse graphics is a massive comparison, but given that all the graphical assets were already half done from ARMA 2 .... hardly impressive.

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

Because most of them barely constitute as serious games. Cheesy basement brews and grad school projects being passed off as legit. It's not all of them , but it's most. It's not what people buy new consoles for , especially when most of them also look stuck in the mid 2000s graphically, and most could be mobile games. Of course there are exceptions, but overall it detracts from the quality of gaming overall.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@vickissv2 said:

Because most of them barely constitute as serious games. Cheesy basement brews and grad school projects being passed off as legit. It's not all of them , but it's most. It's not what people buy new consoles for , especially when most of them also look stuck in the mid 2000s graphically, and most could be mobile games. Of course there are exceptions, but overall it detracts from the quality of gaming overall.

I agree, we need more AAA shooters!

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@vickissv2 said:

We just need more AAA indies in general.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I read this article, and it makes me fear the future of our industry, especially when it comes to Role playing Games specifically. Indies aren't long. Transistor was an 8 hour game which is ashame because it had a great battle system. Colin says that indies are the future, I don't want short fun bursts of enjoyment. If I like a game, I don't want it to end. Like Gravity Rush, as soon as you get the hang of the game, you're already at the end asking yourself how the hell you went through it so quick. Then you find out there is no post game and has nothing to do at the end.

Story should never be an excuse for a short game, particularly because proper game design is developing the battle system first, then making the story. You want to player that gameplay for as long as possible, there is nothing worse about a player feeling like he just slept with a hot girl then she just leaves. And that is why I can't enjoy very many indie RPGs.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@vickissv2 said:

Pretty much.

People point to games like Star Citizen, and Divinity: OS as indie games to prove naysayers wrong, but those are extremely rare outliers in a sea of literally THOUSANDS of indie games that are either bad, or have very little going for them outside of maybe an hour or two of fun. There's such a huge number of them because it's so easy to make a game nowadays, and so many gamers are giving them a free pass based on things like nostalgia.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator

@MBirdy88: indeed... the magic of indie games, control... direct and unfiltered control from the devs. No bloated, standing over the shoulder bean counters telling them what to do to appeal to the most people. It's the movement that anyone who even remotely follows this hobby should be downright giddy about.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#38 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@TheEroica said:

Well said.

Speaks volumes when the 4th most played game for the last 2 weeks on steam is a free2play minecraft meets day z incredibly low production values, yet is fun as hell on large servers.... 60k people playing it after 2 weeks at peak.

Best part... its made by one 16 year old boy... and hes updating it often and talking to the community on steam often.

The most embarassing bit? it practicaly has as much content as Day Z stand alone..... ofcourse graphics is a massive comparison, but given that all the graphical assets were already half done from ARMA 2 .... hardly impressive.

What's the name of the game bro? I want to check it out.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
@OhSnapitz said:

So Indies have been gracing the consoles for quite some time.. but we're going to listen to the comments of a few trolls.

No one said consoles don't get good/great indy's, its just that PC gets far more.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#40  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

Ok.. I gotta ask...

Go to the General Games discussion subforum here and you'll easily find them.

System Wars for the most part are actually pretty welcoming to indie games.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

Ok.. I gotta ask...

I've yet to come across any posters that people would normally take seriously say anything like that. People are fighting imaginary battles lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@remiks00 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@TheEroica said:

Well said.

What's the name of the game bro? I want to check it out.

Unturned, I warn you it is low production value... but has some sort of fun factor if you like the style of game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@vickissv2 said:

@bldgirsh said:

@vickissv2 said:

We just need more AAA indies in general.

no... we need more great gameplay games, and less AAA movie trash regardless of budget or graphics.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheEroica  Moderator

@MBirdy88: "no... we need more great gameplay games, and less AAA movie trash regardless of budget or graphics."

Spot on... so many are so quick to bash a 2d side scroller or puzzle game, paying absolutely no mind to the fact that said platformer has ten times the gameplay intricacies and challenge in a single level as our AAA'S do in their entirety...

You can actually beat games like Bioshock and pop08 with zero consequences in dying. These things are real...

Not that a great game or gameplay is solely determined by challenge or difficulty, but again, these games are not all going for the same thing... live and let live.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Have you played FTL? Esp with the advanced edition its flat out amazing

+1

It's much better than most AAA games tbh.