If not for the slight tech flaws.ME would be a 10.Should be 9.5. NOT 8.5 PERIOD

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fuzzy_Munch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fuzzy_Munch
Member since 2007 • 1018 Posts

If you play ME for the game the way it is meant to be played "EXPLORATION" Not just a quick run through the story missions And make lame mistakes by saying the Rover aim sight does not work:roll: HOW LAME of a review.

Truly this game would be a 10 if the little tech flaws were not there. That being said you take .5 for that and it is 9.5 PERIOD

Not 8.5

7min abbs wait like 6 min abs. NO 7MIN ABS:lol:

Geezzz 8.5 are you kidding me pass the lazy pipe.

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts
Why do you care about a review score? If you play it and like it then enjoy it.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

If you play ME for the game the way it is meant to be played "EXPLORATION" Not just a quick run through the story missions And make lame mistakes by saying the Rover aim sight does not work:roll: HOW LAME of a review.

Truly this game would be a 10 if the little tech flaws were not there. That being said you take .5 for that and it is 9.5 PERIOD

Not 8.5

Fuzzy_Munch

But the game does have some slight technical flaws...so it flops. I'm a lemming and I ****ing loving this game but I'm not a douche who's going to say it is not a flop.

Fuzzy_Munch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fuzzy_Munch

Why do you care about a review score? If you play it and like it then enjoy it.comstrikeiscool

Well true i don't really and the game is AMAZING.

But it just puts a bad taste in peoples mouths when the truth is not be told.

the whole no aim sight thing on the rover when driving is just a COMPLETE line of BS makes you really wonder did this guy really even play this game?

Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
Well I guess it depends on the person. Technical flaws like texture pop in, pop-up, and unstable frame-rates kill a game for me. I like my games really polished.
Fuzzy_Munch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fuzzy_Munch
[QUOTE="Fuzzy_Munch"]

Not 8.5

Frostbite24

But the game does have some slight technical flaws...so it flops. I'm a lemming and I ****ing loving this game but I'm not a douche who's going to say it is not a flop.

And as i said you should take .5 for this not 1.5. Becuase truly the game is better then any other RPG to date especialy the combat system. Like i said it really is 10 and should be marked to 9.5 .5 off for tech flaws.

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
you're the type that wants reviewers to hand out 9+ to any game you enjoy. Mass Effect was great without a doubt. But it did not come without it's flaws. I'd rather game reviewers be tough on games. I may write a great paper for my english class, but if it has too many typos and grammatical errors, it will not get an A. this is the 7th gen of gaming, devs need to be held more accountable of getting their **** in order. 60 bucks a pop isn't cheap, especially for some of the games i haven't touched since i ran trough them maybe once or twice.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts

He's right. The review was horrid. You would believe based on the review that the game was broken due to the occasional technical hiccups, but in fact you got so engrossed in the story and eager to continue playing that they never EVER got in the way of enjoying the game. It was this score for me that made me decide not to take GS scoring seriously.

This was one of the best games of the year and a GOTY candidate. I hated having the game end and I am SO looking forward to the next one. Especially if your choices carry over.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

wow, lemmings are going crazy over their glitchy failure

hell, EDGE gave it a 7 which is the score it really deserves

Fuzzy_Munch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fuzzy_Munch

the_h_bomb

A 7:roll: You are kidding right. Noone in there right mind can say this game is a 7. And ones that do are not in there right mind.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_h_bomb

A 7:roll: You are kidding right. Noone in there right mind can say this game is a 7. And ones that do are not in there right mind.

Fuzzy_Munch

lol

EDGE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
It flopped get over it, they aren't going to change the score and the score doesn't effect your enjoyment of the game
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

but it DOES have tech flaws

you can't expect all reviewers to ignore them .. they do affect the enjoyment of games, affecting more people more than others

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kook18

the_h_bomb
Not even close. stop trolling. the game deserves a high 8. It does almost everything extremely well for a futuristic RPG sans a few gameplay hiccups that are almost synonymous with the bioware brand of games. there are a few unpolished parts in ME, but a 7.0 game it does not make. it isn't a perfect game either, fixes need to be made in the combat spectrum for the sequel.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Tech flaws are what murdered Lair so be happy.
Fuzzy_Munch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fuzzy_Munch
GameSpy11/19/2007 5 out of 5 100.0% Site ProfileIGN11/19/2007 9.4 out of 10 94.0% Site ProfileGameSpot11/19/2007 8.5 out of 10 85.0% Site ProfileElectronic Gaming Monthly12/25/20079.17 out of 10 91.7% Site ProfileOfficial Xbox Magazine12/25/200710 out of 10 100.0% Site ProfileGame Informer11/1/2007 9.75 out of 10 97.5% Site ProfileGamerNode11/27/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0% Site ProfileWorth Playing11/23/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0% Site ProfileGame Revolution11/22/2007 A- 90.0% Site ProfilePALGN AU11/20/2007 9 out of 10 90.0% Add a New Article Link (Worth 250 Points)View all 74 Articles >>

I trult think GS is no longer credible. They are almost as bad as 1up at this point.

Avatar image for DaveyDeathblade
DaveyDeathblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaveyDeathblade
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

Technical flaws are a big deal to alot of people.

I think if if you are going to release a game you should get all of the major visual glitches out of it and get it locked at 30FPS before pushing it out the door.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The real reason GS gave it such a low score was because they were dissapointed that it was just another shooter with RPG elements and a conversation system. Its an amazing AAA game but it wasn't really an RPG at all.
Fuzzy_Munch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fuzzy_Munch

I think if if you are going to release a game you should get all of the major visual glitches out of it and get it locked at 30FPS before pushing it out the door.

DaveyDeathblade

And Oblivion backs this up right? ME is better in everything then Oblivion. Yet 9.6 8.5

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

Well I guess it depends on the person. Technical flaws like texture pop in, pop-up, and unstable frame-rates kill a game for me. I like my games really polished.Zerostatic0

What would you consider the most polished game you have played in the 3D era JOOC?

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
Same can be said of many PC titles that get scored low because of technical flaws like The Witcher, Stalker........
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kook18

DaveyDeathblade

exactly. giving a technically flawed game a 10/10 is just telling the dev its fine to not check for this stuff; it doesn't matter.

this is hard for me to say since i've done about 3 playthroughs of ME and loved every moment of it. but i don't agree that it deserves a perfect or near perfect score when it has so many problems. look at it from a logical standpoint and not from a biased lovefest or hatefest stance. it has problems, more than most bigname games released lately. this stuff should've been cleaned out before release.

twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts

Same can be said of many PC titles that get scored low because of technical flaws like The Witcher, Stalker........froidnite

YES! Thank you, I was just about to say that. The Witcher is an phenomenal game (loving it) and X3: Reunion is one of my fav games ever. The Witcher is fine now that it's patched (except for long save times and no option to turn off autosave) and X3 was unplayable when released...

Anti-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Anti-Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
Damn, people are still crying over gs review. If it makes u feel better, OXM gave it a 10/10.
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_h_bomb

Not even close. stop trolling. the game deserves a high 8. It does almost everything extremely well for a futuristic RPG sans a few gameplay hiccups that are almost synonymous with the bioware brand of games. there are a few unpolished parts in ME, but a 7.0 game it does not make. it isn't a perfect game either, fixes need to be made in the combat spectrum for the sequel.
Kook18

On the edge review scale it does. It is a middling RPG (FAR from bioware at their best) with numerous technical problems, moronic AI, a completely F'ed up clas system and numerous other problems. Basically an ok RPG

Cooldude224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cooldude224
Member since 2005 • 3116 Posts
I think it didnt deserve an 8.5. The game is so good that you can look past its minor flaws and enjoy the game for what it is... a masterpiece. The game deserves at least a 9.5 but thats still doesnt do the game justise. Dont bash this game until youve played it. or else you have now idea of what your talking about.
twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts

I think it didnt deserve an 8.5. The game is so good that you can look past its minor flaws and enjoy the game for what it is... a masterpiece. The game deserves at least a 9.5 but thats still doesnt do the game justise. Dont bash this game until youve played it. or else you have now idea of what your talking about.Cooldude224

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty upset if a reviewer just looked past the technical flaws of a game (unless they were absolutely tiny) and didn't bring it into the score. I know that can be the make-or-break of a PC title of being AAA or not (aka The Witcher).

Cooldude224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cooldude224

Tech flaws are what murdered Lair so be happy. caseypayne69

if reallycrappy controls are a "technical flaw"

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kook18
Remember a time when 9.0+ reviews weren't handed out like candy? Now it seems everyone BAAWWWWS all over the floor whenever any above average game doesn't get 9-10. (not saying ME is just above average, but quite a few other game reviews i don't think deserve their score) :?
Cooldude224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cooldude224

[QUOTE="Cooldude224"]I think it didnt deserve an 8.5. The game is so good that you can look past its minor flaws and enjoy the game for what it is... a masterpiece. The game deserves at least a 9.5 but thats still doesnt do the game justise. Dont bash this game until youve played it. or else you have now idea of what your talking about.twags82

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty upset if a reviewer just looked past the technical flaws of a game (unless they were absolutely tiny) and didn't bring it into the score. I know that can be the make-or-break of a PC title of being AAA or not (aka The Witcher).

Which they were. texture pop-in during diologue sceanes dont affect the game.

Cooldude224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cooldude224
Remember a time when 9.0+ reviews weren't handed out like candy? Now it seems everyone BAAWWWWS all over the floor whenever any above average game doesn't get 9-10. (not saying ME is just above average, but quite a few other game reviews i don't think deserve their score) :?Kook18
most of thosegames are deserving of those scores. but your right some dont.
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
[QUOTE="the_h_bomb"]

Fuzzy_Munch

cashwh0re.com gave it a 7.5

Anti-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Anti-Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
[QUOTE="the_h_bomb"]

Fuzzy_Munch

Someone with an opinion can.:shock:
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
not slight ALOT of technical flaws and you can beat that game in 10-15 hours and in about 20-25 with the side-quests that not acceptable for a RPG
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Not 8.5

Fuzzy_Munch

Yeah, Tell that to RATCHET AND CLANK Future, ZELDA:TP, METAL GEAR SOLID 3, and a host of other games that deserve better. Get in line.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts
[QUOTE="Fuzzy_Munch"]

Not 8.5

Frostbite24

Even at 8.5, I'll take that flop anyday. Heavenly Sword and Uncharted were both flops too, but I'm still going to get both of those games as well. These so called flops are going to give me hours and hours of enjoyment.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

Yup and the A.I. in general is not very good. Thank you so much MS for not allowing full utilization of the HDD :evil:! I almost always get taken out of the combat experience due to this crap.

It's still a great game, but a 10???

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="Fuzzy_Munch"]

Not 8.5

XanderZane

Even at 8.5, I'll take that flop anyday. Heavenly Sword and Uncharted were both flops too, but I'm still going to get both of those games as well. These so called flops are going to give me hours and hours of enjoyment.

Uncharted was hyped AA bud. Heavenly sword was a flop. Replace Uncharted with Lair which was a nasty flop.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10635 Posts
[QUOTE="twags82"]

[QUOTE="Cooldude224"]I think it didnt deserve an 8.5. The game is so good that you can look past its minor flaws and enjoy the game for what it is... a masterpiece. The game deserves at least a 9.5 but thats still doesnt do the game justise. Dont bash this game until youve played it. or else you have now idea of what your talking about.Cooldude224

Which they were. texture pop-in during diologue sceanes dont affect the game.

obviously they wasn't. If every reviewer states that this game does have technical issues then it's big enough for most of the reviewers (if not all of them) to spot them. Now it might not be as big as some of us cows who haven't even played the game makes it out to be, but it's not as much of a small issue that you're making it out to be
elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

Not 8.5

Fuzzy_Munch

Your argument is exploration? Thats just bull. Every planet, except the 5 or 6 main story ones, are just flat open spaces (flat as in nothing but rocks). There are like 3 different strucktures on all those planets (mining collonies and 2 different reasearch facilities).

The only great thing about it is the story and the universe they created arround it. The technical flaws and mediocre combat do not allow this game AAA status. There's much room for improvement. i like it but it could have been so much better.

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

[QUOTE="Kook18"]Not even close. stop trolling. the game deserves a high 8. It does almost everything extremely well for a futuristic RPG sans a few gameplay hiccups that are almost synonymous with the bioware brand of games. there are a few unpolished parts in ME, but a 7.0 game it does not make. it isn't a perfect game either, fixes need to be made in the combat spectrum for the sequel.
the_h_bomb

On the edge review scale it does. It is a middling RPG (FAR from bioware at their best) with numerous technical problems, moronic AI, a completely F'ed up clas system and numerous other problems. Basically an ok RPG

Interestingly enough, i dont think the EDGE review even mentions the tech problems at all. it's an awesomely written review too.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_h_bomb

Interestingly enough, i dont think the EDGE review even mentions the tech problems at all. it's an awesomely written review too.

samusarmada

Edge's reviews are always well written.

saolin323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 saolin323
Member since 2007 • 3121 Posts

Not 8.5

Fuzzy_Munch

After 50+ hours on the game, i can confirm 1000% this is a 10/10 game, the frame rate drops are MINOR, and generally runs great, and has not one problem in battles too

The best game i have ever playd personally, and still play

cleotis_max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cleotis_max
Member since 2007 • 979 Posts

See.. what you just made that is an opinion. Now with that said.. a review score is a reviewers _____. Fill in the blank.

Well incase you didn't get it the answer is Opinion, clever? I know. So what does it matter if it got a 8.5, 9.5 or 11.13 who cares? It's not up to anyones decision aside from your own, quit trying say "ME deserves a 9.5!".. Cos not everyone agrees to that and you know why? Because were entitled to our own OPINIONS.

Yay! O is the letter of the day.

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
[QUOTE="samusarmada"]

the_h_bomb

Edge's reviews are always well written.

they're always the best written.

ReverieDLM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ReverieDLM
Member since 2004 • 1891 Posts
Mass Effect isn't a 9.5 game. Not even close. In fact, Mass Effect isn't an 8.5 game either. It's probably more like an 8. Great writing, great voice acting, good graphics. Now the bad... broken inventory system, extremely average combat system, fundamentally broken planet exploration (driving the Mako is absolute crap... it's nearly outclassed by Big Rigs), unstable framerate, serious graphical artifacting issues (improper shadows, texture pop-in, etc)... It's worth it to play this for the story. But pretty much all of the *gameplay* elements in Mass Effect are garbage. It's an utter failure as a *game*.
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts

The real reason GS gave it such a low score was because they were dissapointed that it was just another shooter with RPG elements and a conversation system. Its an amazing AAA game but it wasn't really an RPG at all.meetroid8

Wrong. Completely wrong. There is no way you could have played the game saying something like that.

Derek240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Derek240
Member since 2004 • 842 Posts

The real reason GS gave it such a low score was because they were dissapointed that it was just another shooter with RPG elements and a conversation system. Its an amazing AAA game but it wasn't really an RPG at all.meetroid8

This man speaks the truth.

JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts

[QUOTE="Cooldude224"]I think it didnt deserve an 8.5. The game is so good that you can look past its minor flaws and enjoy the game for what it is... a masterpiece. The game deserves at least a 9.5 but thats still doesnt do the game justise. Dont bash this game until youve played it. or else you have now idea of what your talking about.twags82

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TREAL_Since

Mass Effect isn't a 9.5 game. Not even close. In fact, Mass Effect isn't an 8.5 game either. It's probably more like an 8. Great writing, great voice acting, good graphics. Now the bad... broken inventory system, extremely average combat system, fundamentally broken planet exploration (driving the Mako is absolute crap... it's nearly outclassed by Big Rigs), unstable framerate, serious graphical artifacting issues (improper shadows, texture pop-in, etc)... It's worth it to play this for the story. But pretty much all of the *gameplay* elements in Mass Effect are garbage. It's an utter failure as a *game*.ReverieDLM

I agree with that. I love the story, character models, and dialogue, but I've been trying to force myslef to like the combat and get used to the not so good A.I. It's kind of depressing. I had higher hopes for the gameplay.

I probably won't play through it twice and will try to do at least 90% of the sidequests my first time through.