i really love God of War

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raidenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 raidenseven
Member since 2005 • 3223 Posts

even though i am a lemming GoW was a fantastic game ( i finished 1 and didnt have enough time at my uncles house to finish 2), but its def what an action game is suppose to be.

my question it, does the 360 offer and games as good or better than GoW? i would love a game like GoW for the 360, its such an awsome game, theres really to me nothing like it.

but are there any 360 games in the future that can match GoW in pure fun and action... too human (even if its finished) seems to be tasrgeting a more DMC or NG style than god of war... anyway thought i would ask...

marioraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 marioraider
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts

Well, on the 360 there is GoW. GoW is better than GoW because GoW has online ranking matches. Can't wait for GoW 2 to come out!

If you did not understand that, Gears of War is very exciting. Also, stuff like Mass Effect and Bioshock are coming out soon, which could wipe the floor with God of War IMO.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

I really didn't think God of Wars was that great. It was a descent button smasher, I guess some of it came from the slaughtering of Greek Mythology. I say Ninja Gaiden 2 will do the job of what God of War did on their side. Hmm, I dunno.

Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts

Well, on the 360 there is GoW. GoW is better than GoW because GoW has online ranking matches. Can't wait for GoW 2 to come out!

If you did not understand that, Gears of War is very exciting. Also, stuff like Mass Effect and Bioshock are coming out soon, which could wipe the floor with God of War IMO.

marioraider

get your acronyms sorted out. GoW - God of War, and GeoW = Gears of War. Secondly, dont compare GeoW to GoW. They are 2 completely diferent genres. Thats like comparing KOTOR to Halo. And lastly, no, there is no game on the Xbox 360 that can match GoW (notice im talking about THE SAME GENRE) Some people say Ninja Gaiden but to me Ninja Gaiden falls short for several reasons: 1) Story is easily dismissable. I luved the game but i have no idea what the story was. 2) Main character is lifeless. Sure they give u a lil background, but at no time do u actually feel like connected to the character. 3) Innovative. NG is an amazing game that has gotten their combat system down to an art. But the problem is its the same thing over and over again. Hack-slash-block-hack-slash-block-ninpowers-repeat. GoW brought in some amazing cinematic minigames that just blew away the competition. 4) Brutality. This is a personal choice so it really shouldnt be here. NG is about a masterful ninja thus the games battles flow with such fluidity that the battle scenes look beautifully orcheastrated, almost like a dance. GoW is nail biting horrficically brutal thus expressing Kratos' true rage...and i like tha more. 5) Different. NG is about a ninja in a ninja town fighting other ninjas...the originality never ceases to amaze me......On the other hand GoW brings us to greek mythology (barely used) and throws us in the hands of a spartan who takes it upon himself to kill Gods (never been done to the best of my knowledge). Through the journey we see all different types of creatures and locales and the battles are on an epic GODLY level due to the underlying theme of the game.

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts
GoW was execelent, offered a good story mized with awesome gameplay and overall is a 9.5 in my book
marioraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 marioraider
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts
[QUOTE="marioraider"]

Viviath

get your acronyms sorted out. GoW - God of War, and GeoW = Gears of War. Secondly, dont compare GeoW to GoW. They are 2 completely diferent genres. Thats like comparing KOTOR to Halo. And lastly, no, there is no game on the Xbox 360 that can match GoW (notice im talking about THE SAME GENRE) Some people say Ninja Gaiden but to me Ninja Gaiden falls short for several reasons: 1) Story is easily dismissable. I luved the game but i have no idea what the story was. 2) Main character is lifeless. Sure they give u a lil background, but at no time do u actually feel like connected to the character. 3) Innovative. NG is an amazing game that has gotten their combat system down to an art. But the problem is its the same thing over and over again. Hack-slash-block-hack-slash-block-ninpowers-repeat. GoW brought in some amazing cinematic minigames that just blew away the competition. 4) Brutality. This is a personal choice so it really shouldnt be here. NG is about a masterful ninja thus the games battles flow with such fluidity that the battle scenes look beautifully orcheastrated, almost like a dance. GoW is nail biting horrficically brutal thus expressing Kratos' true rage...and i like tha more. 5) Different. NG is about a ninja in a ninja town fighting other ninjas...the originality never ceases to amaze me......On the other hand GoW brings us to greek mythology (barely used) and throws us in the hands of a spartan who takes it upon himself to kill Gods (never been done to the best of my knowledge). Through the journey we see all different types of creatures and locales and the battles are on an epic GODLY level due to the underlying theme of the game.

Sorry if I upset you in any way, it's late and I'm being a little silly =). I agree with you also.

Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
[QUOTE="Viviath"][QUOTE="marioraider"]

marioraider

Sorry if I upset you in any way, it's late and I'm being a little silly =). I agree with you also.

lol you didnt upset me :p i just wanted to add my 2 cents...sorry if it seemes a lil aggressive...i must be putting out bad vibes due grinding for 6hrs straight on WoW just to get from lvl 53 to 54 >:(

mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mentzer
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

GoW 1 was excellent. Definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played with a highly customizable combat system that include air combos, grappling, magic that could be intergrated in the combos, stringing together canned combos and real time weapon switching.

The 2nd GoW, while still a great game, dumbed down the combat system, replacing some of Kratos' Blades of Athena moves with attacks that left you open and/or unable to continue attacking thus breaking the combo chain. In some cases whole moves were omitted from the 1st game and even a entire button used for attacking was taken out.

Disappointing.

TheSnappleCap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheSnappleCap
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

So, pressing square and triangle is fun?

I loved my PS2, I think God of War disappointed me more than any other game. I shut it off 10 minutes in and never looked at the game again until I sold it to my friend.

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

God of War = Button Masher = Myth

The attacks are consistently carried out using the same buttons but...So what. When you fire a gun in Gear of War, you're constantly pressing the same button as well.

The real unique beauty behind the God of War saga is how it forces you to use strategy. Each situation it lays on you must be approached a different way forcing you to budget your energy and time. Everyone who says it's a button-masher just rushed into a every situation head on without learning the most efficient routes first.

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I loved my PS2, I think God of War disappointed me more than any other game. I shut it off 10 minutes in and never looked at the game again until I sold it to my friend.

TheSnappleCap

Dont tell me, u just suck at these type games, and thats the real truth u didnt like the game. Honestly man, god of war is an awesome game and for some1 to say it wasnt worth it, is either a liar, and has never played the game before, or just sucked and died so much on the game, they gave up like a true quitter would. I am serious, no matter how hard a game is, if u cant beat a game and always just whine about it and have to talk down on it because it was too hard, then I dont consider u a gamer. I think the definition of a gamer to me in my opinion is a gamer that takes pride in trying to beat any game they buy and no matter the difficulty, u will strive to the next level and beat that game no matter how hard and challenging the game may be. I think that is what a gamer is all about.

mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mentzer

TheSnappleCap

Actually it's square, triangle, circle, R1 and the right analog stick (since Kratos was able to attack while rolling).

I'm guessing if you couldn't create a large enough variety of combos with that many attack options available to you, you just plain sucked at the game.

No shame.

mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mentzer

God of War = Button Masher = Myth

The attacks are consistently carried out using the same buttons but...So what. When you fire a gun in Gear of War, you're constantly pressing the same button as well.

The real unique beauty behind the God of War saga is how it forces you to use strategy. Each situation it lays on you must be approached a different way forcing you to budget your energy and time. Everyone who says it's a button-masher just rushed into a every situation head on without learning the most efficient routes first.

Pariah_001

Did you ever discover the infinite combo that Kratos had in GoW 1???

Here's a hint, you can combo the Might of Hercules (level 5 Blades tap square and then hold down square) into itself...............

Liondog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Liondog
Member since 2004 • 137 Posts
I love the fact that a PS2 game is being compared to next gen titles on the 360. Oh, and the answer is no, the 360 will never get a game like God of War. Never!. So just satisfy your urge and buy a PS2 or 3 with GOW.
Afrikanxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Afrikanxl
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts

I love the fact that a PS2 game is being compared to next gen titles on the 360. Oh, and the answer is no, the 360 will never get a game like God of War. Never!. So just satisfy your urge and buy a PS2 or 3 with GOW.Liondog

well....they are getting that Conan game......... *runs*

Liondog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Liondog

TheSnappleCap

Wow!! This game really kicked your @$$. Don't deny it either, cause its so obvious.

Liondog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Liondog
Don't know bout Conan, never played it, but I did see pics and vids, and no it doesn't even begin to compare to GOW, just from what I saw. I'll have to play it to really compare it.
raidenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 raidenseven

I love the fact that a PS2 game is being compared to next gen titles on the 360. Oh, and the answer is no, the 360 will never get a game like God of War. Never!. So just satisfy your urge and buy a PS2 or 3 with GOW.Liondog

first off yes, i actually commend sony for having such a masterpiece of a game, i give credits where its due, but i dont want to buy a new console to play it... thats just me, untill GoW PS has never offered me any game other gmae that i liked and it would be a waste of money to buy a PS2 or 3 to play just GoW...

and this is sad, why cant 360 get a great button smasher action game :(

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts

TheSnappleCap

How about the amazingly executed story? The set pieces, atmosphere amazing character and level design , epic soundtrack and monumental boss fights? Yeah those couldn't be the reason BOTH games got AAA and won many awards.

GoW's battle system isnt' as good as DMC's but it's a hell of a lot more appealing due to it's greek style and brutual nature imo.

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts

[QUOTE="Liondog"]I love the fact that a PS2 game is being compared to next gen titles on the 360. Oh, and the answer is no, the 360 will never get a game like God of War. Never!. So just satisfy your urge and buy a PS2 or 3 with GOW.raidenseven

first off yes, i actually commend sony for having such a masterpiece of a game, i give credits where its due, but i dont want to buy a new console to play it... thats just me, untill GoW PS has never offered me any game other gmae that i liked and it would be a waste of money to buy a PS2 or 3 to play just GoW...

PS2 has many more great games, not just GoW. And no don't tell me to give you a list it's goddamn common knowledge PS2 has one of the best libaries in history.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
Bpth games are amazing, consoles need more games like GoW less fps´s.
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
[QUOTE="marioraider"]

Viviath

I couldn't have said it any better. God of War's got a story and good gameplay. Ninja Gaiden's got good gameplay....I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying that but I really didn't feel connected to Ryu Hayabusa at all.

Liondog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Liondog

[QUOTE="Liondog"]I love the fact that a PS2 game is being compared to next gen titles on the 360. Oh, and the answer is no, the 360 will never get a game like God of War. Never!. So just satisfy your urge and buy a PS2 or 3 with GOW.raidenseven

I'm glad some people can appreciate great games on other systems. And I understand the investment it takes to own a new system, but you have to understand that the PS2 has a lot more to offer than just GOW. There are plenty of great titles out there that are in league with that game and there are some that surpass it. Give the system a full test run with its great library of games and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. But if you'd rather be sad than happy that is entirely up to you.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts

I couldn't have said it any better. God of War's god a story and good gameplay. Ninja Gaiden's got good gameplay....I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying that but I really didn't feel connected to Ryu Hayabusa at all.

sainraja

Sure, except that makes it sound like God of War's gameplay is on par with Ninja Gaiden's, which it is not. DMC 3 and NGB both wipe the mat with God of War and God of War 2 in terms of gameplay, and GoW easily takes the crown when it comes to non-game elements, like storyline, storytelling, voice acting, music, and set piece design--although strangely, DMC 3 has the best sound effects of all three, and by a large margin. It's unfortunate that all these disparate elements are not to be found in a single game, but such is life. When it comes down to it, DMC 3 and NGB offer a much longer-lasting value, and the two GoW games have a much stronger short-term appeal.

solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts
I don't know why people in SW are dissing God of War so much about being a button masher. It's not really a button masher at all, yes it isn't nearly as technical as Ninja Gaiden, but it isn't trying to be. The God of War games are a mixture of everything, that's what makes it so damn good. Firstly it has fun gameplay, mashing on the buttons a little bit but combined with varied enemies, locations, weapons, magic, amazing boss fights and geniusly made puzzles. God of War has a great story that is deep, well written, with intresting characters, superb orchestrated music and pretty graphics. The only explanation people can come up with as to why God of War is crap is because it is a "button masher".
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

I don't know why people in SW are dissing God of War so much about being a button masher. It's not really a button masher at all, yes it isn't nearly as technical as Ninja Gaiden, but it isn't trying to be. The God of War games are a mixture of everything, that's what makes it so damn good. Firstly it has fun gameplay, mashing on the buttons a little bit but combined with varied enemies, locations, weapons, magic, amazing boss fights and geniusly made puzzles. God of War has a great story that is deep, well written, with intresting characters, superb orchestrated music and pretty graphics. The only explanation people can come up with as to why God of War is crap is because it is a "button masher".solidte

I don't consider it a button masher and I don't see why people call it one. I am also a little confused about what button-mashing is....pressing of one button constantly? If so, how is God of War a button-masher?

[QUOTE="sainraja"]

I couldn't have said it any better. God of War's god a story and good gameplay. Ninja Gaiden's got good gameplay....I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying that but I really didn't feel connected to Ryu Hayabusa at all.

WeeWeeJumbo

Sure, except that makes it sound like God of War's gameplay is on par with Ninja Gaiden's, which it is not. DMC 3 and NGB both wipe the mat with God of War and God of War 2 in terms of gameplay, and GoW easily takes the crown when it comes to non-game elements, like storyline, storytelling, voice acting, music, and set piece design--although strangely, DMC 3 has the best sound effects of all three, and by a large margin. It's unfortunate that all these disparate elements are not to be found in a single game, but such is life. When it comes down to it, DMC 3 and NGB offer a much longer-lasting value, and the two GoW games have a much stronger short-term appeal.

I'd rather have both really. Good gameplay with good storytelling. That's what makes me finish a game. I haven't finished Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden. I've had Ninja Gaiden since it came out on the Xbox and now I have it for the PS3. I didn't bother finishing it when I had it for Xbox because I didn't feel for the character or his cause. The only reason I got it for the PS3 and am trying to finish it is because I don't have God of War 3 or Prince of Persia like title yet for the PS3 so I need my action adventure fix.....but I should want to finish the game for it's story shouldn't I? For me, good gameplay isn't the only thing important for a game.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WeeWeeJumbo

I'd rather have both really. Good gameplay with good storytelling. That's what makes me finish a game. I haven't finished Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden. I've had Ninja Gaiden since it came out on the Xbox and now I have it for the PS3. I didn't bother finishing it when I had it for Xbox because I didn't feel for the character or his cause. The only reason I got it for the PS3 and am trying to finish it is because I don't have God of War 3 or Prince of Persia like title yet for the PS3 so I need my action adventure fix.....but I should want to finish the game for it's story shouldn't I? For me, good gameplay isn't the only thing important for a game.sainraja

Yes, I think we can agree that it's unfortunate that these disparate elements are not to be found in a single game, like I said, but such is life. I think the people who favor DMC and NGB put a higher premium on gameplay, and those who prefer GoW put a higher premium on non-game elements. Oh well =]

chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chimpiki
Member since 2004 • 2014 Posts

I really didn't think God of Wars was that great. It was a descent button smasher, I guess some of it came from the slaughtering of Greek Mythology. I say Ninja Gaiden 2 will do the job of what God of War did on their side. Hmm, I dunno.

ArisShadows
I think that Ninja Gaiden is more of a button masher than God of War. In God of War, you at least have the little minigames where a button pops onto the screen that you have to match, mixed in with some great puzzle solving aspects, pegasus level, and extremely varied combat situations (on walls, falling from the earth, in the air etc.). Plus there are so many great moves that Kratos can pull off that you really want to see done, so you'll take a few extra hits from the enemies to try and pull it off. The coolest thing that really happens when you kill someone in Ninja Gaiden is when you cut them in half or viciously stab them on the ground.
WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WeeWeeJumbo

I think that Ninja Gaiden is more of a button masher than God of War. chimpiki

I think this here is proof that there are, in fact, wrong opinions.

raidenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 raidenseven
[QUOTE="raidenseven"]

[QUOTE="Liondog"]I love the fact that a PS2 game is being compared to next gen titles on the 360. Oh, and the answer is no, the 360 will never get a game like God of War. Never!. So just satisfy your urge and buy a PS2 or 3 with GOW.Riviera_Phantom

PS2 has many more great games, not just GoW. And no don't tell me to give you a list it's goddamn common knowledge PS2 has one of the best libaries in history.

i never said PS2 didnt have any games, i said none that i liked, dont getoffended :P

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts
If you liked god of war and are the slightest bit interested in a ps3 then you obviously have to check out heavenly sword when it comes out especially with the 3 fighting stance gameplay that adds some technicality to button mashing and you can switch stance seamlessly mid-combo for some brutal action and obviously there will be a GoW3 coming to ps3 eventually (my guess is in early 2009) but luckily heavenly sword comes out this sept 4th.