I pay 180 $ a year for online... for one game.

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YankeeDan345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 YankeeDan345
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

It's called WoW, I used to do it for EVE, and so do over 10 million other people. For everybody who think 40$ a year for xbox live is too much LOL @ U especially if ur a computer gamer.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
There's so much wrong with that comparison.
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
WoW eats babies...thank god i never got addicted to it.
agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
imo there is a big diference between MMO game and SP game (with multi...)....
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
Wow is a lot better then xbox live. blizzard actually makes new patches for the games, fixes problems. xbox live is a peer 2 peer which equals lag. in wow if a person lags it's usually the server. i use to play wow for about 3 years. i finally got bored of the game.

i was expecting this thread to be something like how u pay for to much of xbox live or something like that. i have a level 70 orc rogue. it has season 1 and 2 pvp gear.
Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts
Wow is a lot better then xbox live. blizzard actually makes new patches for the games, fixes problems. xbox live is a peer 2 peer which equals lag. in wow if a person lags it's usually the server. i use to play wow for about 3 years. i finally got bored of the game.

i was expecting this thread to be something like how u pay for to much of xbox live or something like that. i have a level 70 orc rogue. it has season 1 and 2 pvp gear.iam2green
Xbox live doesn't use P2P.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

i was expecting this thread to be something like how u pay for to much of xbox live or something like that. i have a level 70 orc rogue. it has season 1 and 2 pvp gear.iam2green
LIVE has patches and problem fixer-uppers, and p2p does not, in any way, automatically equate to lag. I don't even know how that laughable notion even got off the ground. :?
Avatar image for Eternal_Sleeper
Eternal_Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eternal_Sleeper
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts

Cause relatively Blizzard will remove WoW mothly fees if it was on the 360, right?

That also doesn't change the fact that for every 360/pc (game for windows) games, PC gamers play it for free.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
Let me spell this out for you. When you pay your monthly subscription to World of Warcraft, you actually get something substantial in return....something that has to be built and maintained: dedicated servers. Blizzard has to run servers that support literally millions of subscribers. At the same time, they provide consistent updates with huge patches addressing game balance, bugs, or completely changing different aspects of the game/classes/etc. Make no mistake: WoW is expensive. It's a time and money vacuum and the game can go to hell for all I care. But at the same time I know that every time they bill me, I'm getting something actual, something physical, in return. Whereas when you pay for a year of Xbox Live, here's what you get in return. The right to play on their proprietary network (when free alternatives exist on every other platform on the market) service that operates in this way: it has literally zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned. It relies on the players.....their internet connection, their Xbox 360's.....to host their own ******* matches. It's a revenue generating scheme that people have bought into because of the ridiculous prestige factor tied into it....period. You get INFERIOR gameplay, INFERIOR performance, and you pay them MONEY so that you can be cheated out of a superior experience on other platforms. This isn't anything to be proud of, this isn't anything to scoff at, this is something to get legitimately worked up over and complain about. Why? Because the minute you stop DOING it the minute Microsoft turns down the heat. Want an example? Take Windows Live. Windows Live is ostensibly Xbox Live for the PC platform. It's functionally identical, down to the subscription fees, so much so in fact that if you had an Xbox Live subscription, they'd let you play on Windows Live. Except for one thing....they've now removed the subscription fee. It is Xbox Live Gold minus the Xbox Live Gold fees. Why did this happen? PC gamers have a CHOICE. They have an open platform and an open network and they get to choose where they play and what they're going to pay for. Xbox Live gamers don't get this option. The only thing 360 owners or Xbox owners can do is be loud and obnoxious, because they can't simply take their business elsewhere (although my opinion is that they should, when they're choosing a console to buy). When you're playing on Xbox Live, it's sucking up bandwidth from your internet connection and forcing your Xbox 360 to do two things simultaneously...play a game from the client-side, and host the entire match from the server-side.
brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

It's called WoW, I used to do it for EVE, and so do over 10 million other people. For everybody who think 40$ a year for xbox live is too much LOL @ U especially if ur a computer gamer.

YankeeDan345

Gee thanks a lot you just wasted 10 seconds of my life that i will never get back.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
The guy above me is right.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

Cause relatively Blizzard will remove WoW mothly fees if it was on the 360, right?

That also doesn't change the fact that for every 360/pc (game for windows) games, PC gamers play it for free.

Eternal_Sleeper
Fun note: Final Fantasy XI on the Xbox 360 requires an additional monthly fee to play the game. It is sufficient to play the game online, but it does not replace your Xbox Live Gold fees. Why? Because in an MMO you can't rely on P2P. The only thing Microsoft provides with Xbox Live is a bunch of prewritten code and a set of standards and certifications. That doesn't allow you to host an MMO. It would crash and burn. Then they have the outright audacity to put advertisements on the dashboard and charge outrageous royalties for their XBox Live Arcade content. MS isn't exactly hurting for revenue from Xbox Live.
Avatar image for q6g8f6d8d0b3m5l
q6g8f6d8d0b3m5l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 q6g8f6d8d0b3m5l
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
I played WoW for 4 years, before I finally lost interest due to boredom and lack of time to raid. That said, Xbox Live isn't worth $50/year to me, and I doubt it ever will be.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#14 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how people care what I do with my money. I not saying anyone is wrong about their opinion on Live fees. It's your opinion, that's an entitlement from birth. Why does anyone care that mine differs? You don't care about me. Do you expect me to believe you want to save us Live users our money? Is it you just that you need to prove your right? When it comes to my money how can anyone be right about what I want to do with it but me?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

YankeeDan345

because every PC gamer plays wow ..

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts

I stopped reading, and realized you have no clue about what you're talking about after I got to your assumption that P2P automatically means lag.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
If you enjoy paying $180 a year then that is your choice, I play all my online games for free and there is no way in heaven or hell that I'd support any company taking money for my own network connection that I'm already paying for, and remember, I don't and won't support these kinds of services because if I do then other companies will start to rip us off the same way which is unfair the way I see it.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#18 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
If you enjoy paying $180 a year then that is your choice, I play all my online games for free and there is no way in heaven or hell that I'd support any company taking money for my own network connection that I'm already paying for, and remember, I don't and won't support these kinds of services because if I do then other companies will start to rip us off the same way which is unfair the way I see it.abuabed
Well said and your doing the right thing, imo. You state your case by not paying for it. And you didn't insult anyone who does this differently from you. I think it's stupid to pay someone to beat you and verbally abuse you just because you find it arousing. But it's their money and they obviously value that service even though some choice words on th NYC subway will get you beat free of charge.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I used to bash monthly payments for mmo's even when I tried Age of Conan. Now when I started playing an actually finished game (WoW) I have to say that there is so much to do in the game that 15$ a month is nothing compared to what I would spend on new games since most clock in below 10h. The fact that im in Poland helps in justify the subscription too. Example: I bought WoW battlechest + 2 moths pre paid and that cost as much as a new Xbox360 game...now that is value.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
well thats one reason i dont play WoW
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#21 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

If you enjoy paying $180 a year then that is your choice, I play all my online games for free and there is no way in heaven or hell that I'd support any company taking money for my own network connection that I'm already paying for, and remember, I don't and won't support these kinds of services because if I do then other companies will start to rip us off the same way which is unfair the way I see it. abuabed

Very good post. I Agree 100%.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
[QUOTE="abuabed"]If you enjoy paying $180 a year then that is your choice, I play all my online games for free and there is no way in heaven or hell that I'd support any company taking money for my own network connection that I'm already paying for, and remember, I don't and won't support these kinds of services because if I do then other companies will start to rip us off the same way which is unfair the way I see it.cainetao11
Well said and your doing the right thing, imo. You state your case by not paying for it. And you didn't insult anyone who does this differently from you. I think it's stupid to pay someone to beat you and verbally abuse you just because you find it arousing. But it's their money and they obviously value that service even though some choice words on th NYC subway will get you beat free of charge.

I still don't get some SW individuals(not meaning you), they keep on arguing about how a person should spend his/her money on which system and stuff and they justify the way they spend their money on things other people might find useless or costly. This is my money and I have the right to spend it the way I like on any service I find worthy (not including forbidden stuff of course :P). Clean and simple..
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Just had a glance at the website and at its cheapest its about £90 a year and around £7.50 a month in the UK. I couldn't understand paying more than £2 a month to play one game.

bphan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bphan
Member since 2005 • 1666 Posts

WoW is a complete waste of time. Blizzard does everything they can to draw things out as much as possible in order for you to keep paying. It is a complete time sink. There is a cycle in WoW that never ends.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
[QUOTE="Brownesque"]Let me spell this out for you. When you pay your monthly subscription to World of Warcraft, you actually get something substantial in return....something that has to be built and maintained: dedicated servers. Blizzard has to run servers that support literally millions of subscribers. At the same time, they provide consistent updates with huge patches addressing game balance, bugs, or completely changing different aspects of the game/classes/etc. Make no mistake: WoW is expensive. It's a time and money vacuum and the game can go to hell for all I care. But at the same time I know that every time they bill me, I'm getting something actual, something physical, in return. Whereas when you pay for a year of Xbox Live, here's what you get in return. The right to play on their proprietary network (when free alternatives exist on every other platform on the market) service that operates in this way: it has literally zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned. It relies on the players.....their internet connection, their Xbox 360's.....to host their own ******* matches. It's a revenue generating scheme that people have bought into because of the ridiculous prestige factor tied into it....period. You get INFERIOR gameplay, INFERIOR performance, and you pay them MONEY so that you can be cheated out of a superior experience on other platforms. This isn't anything to be proud of, this isn't anything to scoff at, this is something to get legitimately worked up over and complain about. Why? Because the minute you stop DOING it the minute Microsoft turns down the heat. Want an example? Take Windows Live. Windows Live is ostensibly Xbox Live for the PC platform. It's functionally identical, down to the subscription fees, so much so in fact that if you had an Xbox Live subscription, they'd let you play on Windows Live. Except for one thing....they've now removed the subscription fee. It is Xbox Live Gold minus the Xbox Live Gold fees. Why did this happen? PC gamers have a CHOICE. They have an open platform and an open network and they get to choose where they play and what they're going to pay for. Xbox Live gamers don't get this option. The only thing 360 owners or Xbox owners can do is be loud and obnoxious, because they can't simply take their business elsewhere (although my opinion is that they should, when they're choosing a console to buy). When you're playing on Xbox Live, it's sucking up bandwidth from your internet connection and forcing your Xbox 360 to do two things simultaneously...play a game from the client-side, and host the entire match from the server-side.

I agree with you. However, people paying for the service agree to all MS conditions and thus cannot complain. Anyway, if people stopped paying for XBL MS would probably have to offer it "free of charge" like Sony or get out of the console market.
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

Xbox live gets patches, game devs fix problems, P2P doesn't equal lag, and in WoW both the server AND the players connection cause lag. I've D/Ced countless times because of latency when my whole raid would not.

You gotta be blind if you think Xbox Live doesn't get the same treatment Blizz gives WoW, yet with WoW there's so many balance issues, and malfunctioning servers that I just gave up. That game went down the toilet.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Massive Multiplayer Online games do that. On ANY platform. Even the 360. Difference is the game requires huge dedicated servers to manage its shards, as well as the developers own reasources - you are paying for a constantly evolving game mind you. Wheras a standard online game on the 360 is hosted over *client hosts* - that being the player, or on other platforms players host their own dedicated servers, or mainly on the PC, ISPs host dedicated servers. Its a poor comparison. Doesnt stop XBLG from being an absolute ripoff, if anything it ingrains it further.
whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

Let me spell this out for you. When you pay your monthly subscription to World of Warcraft, you actually get something substantial in return....something that has to be built and maintained: dedicated servers. Blizzard has to run servers that support literally millions of subscribers. At the same time, they provide consistent updates with huge patches addressing game balance, bugs, or completely changing different aspects of the game/classes/etc. Make no mistake: WoW is expensive. It's a time and money vacuum and the game can go to hell for all I care. But at the same time I know that every time they bill me, I'm getting something actual, something physical, in return. Whereas when you pay for a year of Xbox Live, here's what you get in return. The right to play on their proprietary network (when free alternatives exist on every other platform on the market) service that operates in this way: it has literally zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned. It relies on the players.....their internet connection, their Xbox 360's.....to host their own ******* matches. It's a revenue generating scheme that people have bought into because of the ridiculous prestige factor tied into it....period. You get INFERIOR gameplay, INFERIOR performance, and you pay them MONEY so that you can be cheated out of a superior experience on other platforms. This isn't anything to be proud of, this isn't anything to scoff at, this is something to get legitimately worked up over and complain about. Why? Because the minute you stop DOING it the minute Microsoft turns down the heat. Want an example? Take Windows Live. Windows Live is ostensibly Xbox Live for the PC platform. It's functionally identical, down to the subscription fees, so much so in fact that if you had an Xbox Live subscription, they'd let you play on Windows Live. Except for one thing....they've now removed the subscription fee. It is Xbox Live Gold minus the Xbox Live Gold fees. Why did this happen? PC gamers have a CHOICE. They have an open platform and an open network and they get to choose where they play and what they're going to pay for. Xbox Live gamers don't get this option. The only thing 360 owners or Xbox owners can do is be loud and obnoxious, because they can't simply take their business elsewhere (although my opinion is that they should, when they're choosing a console to buy). When you're playing on Xbox Live, it's sucking up bandwidth from your internet connection and forcing your Xbox 360 to do two things simultaneously...play a game from the client-side, and host the entire match from the server-side.Brownesque

LOL.... Oh my, oh my.... got tired of making sense did we?

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts

YankeeDan345
Horrible comparison, but to be fair I think anyone that does pay a monthly fee to play a game is a fool. Why pay $180 on one game when you could get 3 new ones that won't ruin your social life completely?
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

[QUOTE="YankeeDan345"]

Jrfanfreak88

Horrible comparison, but to be fair I think anyone that does pay a monthly fee to play a game is a fool. Why pay $180 on one game when you could get 3 new ones that won't ruin your social life completely?

do you really think wow would ruin your social life completely? I don't like the game, but people really need to stop making assumptions on the bad apples. I have plenty of friends that play WoW and the only thing different about them is that they aren't putting the same amount of hours in counter strike as they used to.

DSandPSP_owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DSandPSP_owner
Member since 2005 • 259 Posts

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]Let me spell this out for you. When you pay your monthly subscription to World of Warcraft, you actually get something substantial in return....something that has to be built and maintained: dedicated servers. Blizzard has to run servers that support literally millions of subscribers. At the same time, they provide consistent updates with huge patches addressing game balance, bugs, or completely changing different aspects of the game/classes/etc. Make no mistake: WoW is expensive. It's a time and money vacuum and the game can go to hell for all I care. But at the same time I know that every time they bill me, I'm getting something actual, something physical, in return. Whereas when you pay for a year of Xbox Live, here's what you get in return. The right to play on their proprietary network (when free alternatives exist on every other platform on the market) service that operates in this way: it has literally zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned. It relies on the players.....their internet connection, their Xbox 360's.....to host their own ******* matches. It's a revenue generating scheme that people have bought into because of the ridiculous prestige factor tied into it....period. You get INFERIOR gameplay, INFERIOR performance, and you pay them MONEY so that you can be cheated out of a superior experience on other platforms. This isn't anything to be proud of, this isn't anything to scoff at, this is something to get legitimately worked up over and complain about. Why? Because the minute you stop DOING it the minute Microsoft turns down the heat. Want an example? Take Windows Live. Windows Live is ostensibly Xbox Live for the PC platform. It's functionally identical, down to the subscription fees, so much so in fact that if you had an Xbox Live subscription, they'd let you play on Windows Live. Except for one thing....they've now removed the subscription fee. It is Xbox Live Gold minus the Xbox Live Gold fees. Why did this happen? PC gamers have a CHOICE. They have an open platform and an open network and they get to choose where they play and what they're going to pay for. Xbox Live gamers don't get this option. The only thing 360 owners or Xbox owners can do is be loud and obnoxious, because they can't simply take their business elsewhere (although my opinion is that they should, when they're choosing a console to buy). When you're playing on Xbox Live, it's sucking up bandwidth from your internet connection and forcing your Xbox 360 to do two things simultaneously...play a game from the client-side, and host the entire match from the server-side.whatisazerg

most of it was like that...my favorite parts were "prestige factor" and "zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned"...i mean, he has a point about how the price will go away if people stop using it, but....millions of people use it and it keeps growing...i'm not saying that's somehow proof that the Live system is good, though...but the bulk of the argument, that there are no servers for the system and that it all depends on the internet connection of the gamers, is just wrong...
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

What a stupid comparison, if WoW was on live you'd have to pay for WoW and for Live. WoW's a game that runs on servers with amazing support and constant content, all you pay for live is to peer 2 peer game, ripoff. And don't say ohh but all the content runs on servers bla bla, then why don't silver members pay for it?

DSandPSP_owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DSandPSP_owner
Member since 2005 • 259 Posts

[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="YankeeDan345"]

_Pedro_

do you really think wow would ruin your social life completely? I don't like the game, but people really need to stop making assumptions on the bad apples. I have plenty of friends that play WoW and the only thing different about them is that they aren't putting the same amount of hours in counter strike as they used to.

ya, saying that the game itself is the reason for social ineptness is like saying that a pen is to blame for what is written with it...
whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

[QUOTE="whatisazerg"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]Let me spell this out for you. When you pay your monthly subscription to World of Warcraft, you actually get something substantial in return....something that has to be built and maintained: dedicated servers. Blizzard has to run servers that support literally millions of subscribers. At the same time, they provide consistent updates with huge patches addressing game balance, bugs, or completely changing different aspects of the game/classes/etc. Make no mistake: WoW is expensive. It's a time and money vacuum and the game can go to hell for all I care. But at the same time I know that every time they bill me, I'm getting something actual, something physical, in return. Whereas when you pay for a year of Xbox Live, here's what you get in return. The right to play on their proprietary network (when free alternatives exist on every other platform on the market) service that operates in this way: it has literally zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned. It relies on the players.....their internet connection, their Xbox 360's.....to host their own ******* matches. It's a revenue generating scheme that people have bought into because of the ridiculous prestige factor tied into it....period. You get INFERIOR gameplay, INFERIOR performance, and you pay them MONEY so that you can be cheated out of a superior experience on other platforms. This isn't anything to be proud of, this isn't anything to scoff at, this is something to get legitimately worked up over and complain about. Why? Because the minute you stop DOING it the minute Microsoft turns down the heat. Want an example? Take Windows Live. Windows Live is ostensibly Xbox Live for the PC platform. It's functionally identical, down to the subscription fees, so much so in fact that if you had an Xbox Live subscription, they'd let you play on Windows Live. Except for one thing....they've now removed the subscription fee. It is Xbox Live Gold minus the Xbox Live Gold fees. Why did this happen? PC gamers have a CHOICE. They have an open platform and an open network and they get to choose where they play and what they're going to pay for. Xbox Live gamers don't get this option. The only thing 360 owners or Xbox owners can do is be loud and obnoxious, because they can't simply take their business elsewhere (although my opinion is that they should, when they're choosing a console to buy). When you're playing on Xbox Live, it's sucking up bandwidth from your internet connection and forcing your Xbox 360 to do two things simultaneously...play a game from the client-side, and host the entire match from the server-side.DSandPSP_owner

most of it was like that...my favorite parts were "prestige factor" and "zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned"...i mean, he has a point about how the price will go away if people stop using it, but....millions of people use it and it keeps growing...i'm not saying that's somehow proof that the Live system is good, though...but the bulk of the argument, that there are no servers for the system and that it all depends on the internet connection of the gamers, is just wrong...

read that red part again.... he's saying he gets something "physical" in nature for his monthly fee... funny I played WoW for 3+ years and never once did Blizzard send me anything I could hold in my hand.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

read that red part again.... he's saying he gets something "physical" in nature for his monthly fee... funny I played WoW for 3+ years and never once did Blizzard send me anything I could hold in my hand.

whatisazerg
Just because the wording of 'physical' is wrong, doesn't make his argument invalid at all...
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
I'm not gonna debate the differences of WoW and Live as I'm not sure how they're set up exactly. But I do know that Blizzard ripping you off wouldn't justify Miscrosoft ripping you off too, so it's kind of a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I see that this going to be the same people whining about getting ripped off or forced and the same people saying it doesn't bother them. These threads should be locked. It's the same crap over and over again. It's just spam.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Yes it's alot but alot of WoW players only play WoW so it's not really that bad.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
[QUOTE="YankeeDan345"]

Jrfanfreak88

try and find 3 games that will last the entire year, playing several hours a day. I quit wow after the trial as it was pretty nutsack to me, but i can see why alot like it, it was very addictive. It's very much worth the money if you play it alot. I also think xbox live is rip off, but i want to play online therefore i have to pay.
BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

Yes but WoW is not a fun game at all to me and there are tons of games with XBL that are. GFW is free because it's terrible and XBL is infinitely better. Also Blizzard had better not make Diablo III P2P or I'm going to explode.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts

Let me spell this out for you. When you pay your monthly subscription to World of Warcraft, you actually get something substantial in return....something that has to be built and maintained: dedicated servers. Blizzard has to run servers that support literally millions of subscribers. At the same time, they provide consistent updates with huge patches addressing game balance, bugs, or completely changing different aspects of the game/classes/etc. Make no mistake: WoW is expensive. It's a time and money vacuum and the game can go to hell for all I care. But at the same time I know that every time they bill me, I'm getting something actual, something physical, in return. Whereas when you pay for a year of Xbox Live, here's what you get in return. The right to play on their proprietary network (when free alternatives exist on every other platform on the market) service that operates in this way: it has literally zero infrastructure as far as hosting online matches is concerned. It relies on the players.....their internet connection, their Xbox 360's.....to host their own ******* matches. It's a revenue generating scheme that people have bought into because of the ridiculous prestige factor tied into it....period. You get INFERIOR gameplay, INFERIOR performance, and you pay them MONEY so that you can be cheated out of a superior experience on other platforms. This isn't anything to be proud of, this isn't anything to scoff at, this is something to get legitimately worked up over and complain about. Why? Because the minute you stop DOING it the minute Microsoft turns down the heat. Want an example? Take Windows Live. Windows Live is ostensibly Xbox Live for the PC platform. It's functionally identical, down to the subscription fees, so much so in fact that if you had an Xbox Live subscription, they'd let you play on Windows Live. Except for one thing....they've now removed the subscription fee. It is Xbox Live Gold minus the Xbox Live Gold fees. Why did this happen? PC gamers have a CHOICE. They have an open platform and an open network and they get to choose where they play and what they're going to pay for. Xbox Live gamers don't get this option. The only thing 360 owners or Xbox owners can do is be loud and obnoxious, because they can't simply take their business elsewhere (although my opinion is that they should, when they're choosing a console to buy). When you're playing on Xbox Live, it's sucking up bandwidth from your internet connection and forcing your Xbox 360 to do two things simultaneously...play a game from the client-side, and host the entire match from the server-side.Brownesque

You win the internet:

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

Not all games are peer to peer and there are p2p games on PC also.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts

[QUOTE="iam2green"]Wow is a lot better then xbox live. blizzard actually makes new patches for the games, fixes problems. xbox live is a peer 2 peer which equals lag. in wow if a person lags it's usually the server. i use to play wow for about 3 years. i finally got bored of the game.

i was expecting this thread to be something like how u pay for to much of xbox live or something like that. i have a level 70 orc rogue. it has season 1 and 2 pvp gear.Jamex1987

of course there is... but do you solely pay for it? no you don't

king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
There's so much wrong with that comparison.Cherokee_Jack
Agreed.
king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

YankeeDan345
LOL @ you for making such a strange comparison. People have to pay monthly for some MMO's on Xbox 360 (take Phantasy Star Universe as an example), so what's your point? For nearly all of the games that are on both Xbox 360 and PC (excluding those stupid ones which forced you to pay for LIVE) that have multiplayer, you don't actually have to pay online on the PC to play them...
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I pay twice that... I have 2 WOW accounts.

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

[QUOTE="Jamex1987"][QUOTE="iam2green"]Wow is a lot better then xbox live. blizzard actually makes new patches for the games, fixes problems. xbox live is a peer 2 peer which equals lag. in wow if a person lags it's usually the server. i use to play wow for about 3 years. i finally got bored of the game.

i was expecting this thread to be something like how u pay for to much of xbox live or something like that. i have a level 70 orc rogue. it has season 1 and 2 pvp gear.swamplord666

DOn't you have to pay if you want a dedicated server on the PC? Cost a lot more than $50.00 a year. Rental runs from $50.00+ a month.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
[QUOTE="swamplord666"]

[QUOTE="Jamex1987"] Not all games are peer to peer and there are p2p games on PC also.Jamex1987

DOn't you have to pay if you want a dedicates server on the PC? Cost a lot more than $50.00 a year.

LOL dude... edit that, maybe no one else will see :P
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
WoW is a waste of time and money, for me it is anyway.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
WoW is a waste of time and money, for me it is anyway.clembo1990
and if you do enjoy WoW, it's easily one of the most affordable ways to game. some people are this board are so thick (not you).