I hate the fact that hip hop is taking over as the lead genre of music in games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSBox3SixWi
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
damn it gets irritating. how about some rock?
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
it is?well if its true i agree with ya
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Really? Other than GTA, what?

Cant say i've heard a single line of rap on any PC game i've played and bought. 

TheDemon_Nexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheDemon_Nexus
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts

I agree.

Or at least they should put in good hip-hop/rap....not this modern c(rap)

PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSBox3SixWi
fight night, need for speed, any sports game, pretty much anything that didnt have a custom soundtrack produced for it.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I haven't played a lot of games with hip hop. Def Jam and the GTA games are the only ones with Hip Hop that I have. Sports games have a lot of hip hop, but they have rock too. Don't you guys get enough of rock with Guitar Hero?
IAmRodyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 IAmRodyle
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
I really used to despise it, but now I don't mind it as much. I think the genre sticks to certain games, as they appeal to certain people. The only games that I've played with an exclusively Hip-Hop soundtrack would be the Def Jam games. So no, I wouldn't consider it a problem, even to those who don't like rap.
PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSBox3SixWi
i wanna play a new need for speed before i die with music that doesnt say "get low" or "WHAT? OK!" (reference to underground. good game, crap music)
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Well GTA has various radio stations at least. What I hate is crap like Saints Row and Def Jam where the entire premise is scummy gangtsa crap.
PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSBox3SixWi

I haven't played a lot of games with hip hop. Def Jam and the GTA games are the only ones with Hip Hop that I have. Sports games have a lot of hip hop, but they have rock too. Don't you guys get enough of rock with Guitar Hero? majadamus

hahahahahaha shin chan. good stuff. 

shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

What makes you say that its taking over ? 

There is a hip hop themed game every now and then like Def Jam Icon's or 50cent bullet proof..... ( :lol: lawl @ lame games )but I would hardly call it taking over, but I do agree with you if it did, I would be pissed.  hip hop music is nothing but trash, it used to have a meaning but now its just " my penis is this big" "I got 20 whips :roll: "  " I got hoe's " its the same crap over and over again.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

I haven't noticed that. Then again, I haven't played much of Def Jam, Saint's Row or NFS.

Burnout has a good mix of music, as does GTA considering how many radio stations there are. 

ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts
I agree, "hip hop" is ultra lame.  even the name of the genre is stupid.  Give me some intense death metal and some bloody killing game and I'll be very happy.
PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PSBox3SixWi
i really started noticing this when i played Fight Night 2004. just played it recently. Im a big boxing fan, and i was looking forward to the game, but the hip hop anouncer during the matches really made the game too irritating to play. btw are the other two as hip hoppity? i love the game but ill be damned if i gotta keep hearing that dick announcer
SmokingNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SmokingNate
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts

i wanna play a new need for speed before i die with music that doesnt say "get low" or "WHAT? OK!" (reference to underground. good game, crap music)PSBox3SixWi

to the window!! to the wall!!! to the sweat run ....... damn that song was stuck in my head for ages when it came out. didnt like the song but thought it fit well with the game.. well thats just me :P

ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ironwarrior2

i really started noticing this when i played Fight Night 2004. just played it recently. Im a big boxing fan, and i was looking forward to the game, but the hip hop anouncer during the matches really made the game too irritating to play. btw are the other two as hip hoppity? i love the game but ill be damned if i gotta keep hearing that dick announcerPSBox3SixWi

Yes, the new one has all of that hip hop garbage on it too.  I bought it and couldn't stand the "music" so I sold it on ebay.

PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSBox3SixWi

[QUOTE="PSBox3SixWi"]i really started noticing this when i played Fight Night 2004. just played it recently. Im a big boxing fan, and i was looking forward to the game, but the hip hop anouncer during the matches really made the game too irritating to play. btw are the other two as hip hoppity? i love the game but ill be damned if i gotta keep hearing that dick announcerironwarrior2

Yes, the new one has all of that hip hop garbage on it too. I bought it and couldn't stand the "music" so I sold it on ebay.

damn it, its so fun too, ill just have to mute it. is it the same announcer too?
4_Horsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 4_Horsemen
Member since 2006 • 1401 Posts
damn it gets irritating. how about some rock?PSBox3SixWi
Get with the times. Rock isn't popular with non-whites anymore.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Well GTA has various radio stations at least. What I hate is crap like Saints Row and Def Jam where the entire premise is scummy gangtsa crap.Lazy_Boy88

Actually if you played Saints and listen to its radios, its has alot beyond rap and hip hop. There is Metal and Rock, for example. I personally enjoyed the music on Saints Row. Great stuff. Always on Gen X or so forth.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GoldenGlove
Member since 2002 • 4699 Posts

:lol: @ you lames actually agreeing with the threadstarter on this topic.  Why shouldn't there be variety?  Just because you don't listen to hiphop don't mean I don't.  Why wouldn't EA put hiphop in Madden?  Or Fight Night... or NBA Live... or Need for Speed?  All of those games are damn near a part of hiphop culture.  I didn't b!tch when I played DMC3 through all that corny ass music, I just realized that the game is targeted for a different demographic. 

And there is a difference between rap and hiphop.  None the less don't call a whole genre crap.  I don't listen to a lot of different types of music.  It's all poetry just delivered in a different way.  Whether it be rap, rock, pop, r&b, or hiphop.  Don't hate on what you don't understand.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
i didnt mind GTA SA hip hop since it was old i cant stand hip hop or rap from today with the exception of maybe one or two artists.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

damn it gets irritating. how about some rock?PSBox3SixWi

ATV Offroad Fury has some great rock tracks IMO. Anyways, just another reason to play RPGs.

ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ironwarrior2

:lol: @ you lames actually agreeing with the threadstarter on this topic.  Why shouldn't there be variety?  Just because you don't listen to hiphop don't mean I don't.  Why wouldn't EA put hiphop in Madden?  Or Fight Night... or NBA Live... or Need for Speed?  All of those games are damn near a part of hiphop culture.  I didn't b!tch when I played DMC3 through all that corny ass music, I just realized that the game is targeted for a different demographic. 

And there is a difference between rap and hiphop.  None the less don't call a whole genre crap.  I don't listen to a lot of different types of music.  It's all poetry just delivered in a different way.  Whether it be rap, rock, pop, r&b, or hiphop.  Don't hate on what you don't understand.

GoldenGlove

poetry?  :lol:

PSBox3SixWi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PSBox3SixWi

It's all poetry just delivered in a different way.

GoldenGlove

ah yes. i love those poems about slappin hoes. and the ones about cappin **** fo stealin my hoes and muh bills.

i also love how after they win an award for such "Poetry" they thank God, as if He condones the pimpin of hoes....

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ArisShadows
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

ironwarrior2

poetry?  :lol:

Yes, why isn't it, because you don't understand it or like it, its kind peferences..

Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Runningflame570

I haven't played a lot of games with hip hop. Def Jam and the GTA games are the only ones with Hip Hop that I have. Sports games have a lot of hip hop, but they have rock too. Don't you guys get enough of rock with Guitar Hero? majadamus

There is no such thing as "enough rock" saying so just shows you lack the spirit conveyed in born to be wild.

I agree, "hip hop" is ultra lame.  even the name of the genre is stupid.  Give me some intense death metal and some bloody killing game and I'll be very happy.ironwarrior2

Not the biggest fan of death metal, more into power metal.

Get with the times. Rock isn't popular with non-whites anymore.4_Horsemen

Well if they would rather listen to rap and hiphop it seems the entire minority community has gone insane.

Yes, why isn't it, because you don't understand it or like it, its kind peferences..

ArisShadows

Rap as poetry is an amusing concept to say the least, guess I could say that as I consider farting music its poetry as well?

wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
funny how no one complained when rock and metal was the only music in games
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Runningflame570

funny how no one complained when rock and metal was the only music in gameswiistation360

Because it has a rich history across an extremely wide range of sub-genres that can appeal to virtually any taste in music perhaps? Just a thought.

P.S. Metal is a sub-category of hard rock that itself has numerous sub-categories. Rock and Metal are the same even if Classic Rock and Metal aren't.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ArisShadows

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I haven't played a lot of games with hip hop. Def Jam and the GTA games are the only ones with Hip Hop that I have. Sports games have a lot of hip hop, but they have rock too. Don't you guys get enough of rock with Guitar Hero? Runningflame570

There is no such thing as "enough rock" saying so just shows you lack the spirit conveyed in born to be wild.

I agree, "hip hop" is ultra lame.  even the name of the genre is stupid.  Give me some intense death metal and some bloody killing game and I'll be very happy.ironwarrior2

Not the biggest fan of death metal, more into power metal.

Get with the times. Rock isn't popular with non-whites anymore.4_Horsemen

Well if they would rather listen to rap and hiphop it seems the entire minority community has gone insane.

ArisShadows

Rap as poetry is an amusing concept to say the least, guess I could say that as I consider farting music its poetry as well?

FIrst off, what farting music can you buy in the stores, and second, farting is a sound and there is no words hence no poetry.

Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Runningflame570

FIrst off, what farting music can you buy in the stores, and second, farting is a sound and there is no words hence no poetry.

ArisShadows

You would be surprised...anyways. Lots of techno features no words, classical music features no words and yet has been described as poetry on many occasions and there is a lot of rap out there that certainly doesn't have any understandable wording due to the excessive editing done to it (looking at you Beastie Boys).

4_Horsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 4_Horsemen
Member since 2006 • 1401 Posts
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

PSBox3SixWi

ah yes. i love those poems about slappin hoes. and the ones about cappin **** fo stealin my hoes and muh bills.

i also love how after they win an award for such "Poetry" they thank God, as if He condones the pimpin of hoes....

No I guess singing or should I say yelling about making deals with the devil, Contemplating suicide, acting gay and slam dancing with each other in the middle of a concert floor is much more acceptable. I don't like your music either but guess what I tolerate it. So you wanna bash Hip Hop because it's not the choice of your culture. Then that's just plain ignorant dogg...err I mean dude.
beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts

seriously do you see people that love rap music saying they are tired of listening to rock music in the games? you guys are a bunch of racist mofo.

just get over it or get a damn 360 and put your own soundtrack in the damn game.

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

PSBox3SixWi

yeah, because all rap is about that kinda stuff. and i'd rather listen to 50 cent any day than listen to 4 guys growling and "singing" about killing themselves and worshipping the devil. 

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts

I like rap better than rock anyhow, so I disagree. Could be that modern rock is equally generic as modern rap, there's just more interest in rap? I think so. I also think rap better suits the EA games and examples you give, if for no other reason than the sports stars and whatnot are decidedly hip-hop oriented on the whole. You don't see Lebron with a Twisted Sister t-shirt do you? No! He's got an H2 on 24's with a chain around his neck.

I have more of a problem with the overall generic-ness of alot of games. No custom soundtrack is an instant sign that this game was pushed out in a hurry, and is more about marketing than gaming.

Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Runningflame570

seriously do you see people that love rap music saying they are tired of listening to rock music in the games? you guys are a bunch of racist mofo.

just get over it or get a damn 360 and put your own soundtrack in the damn game.

beldugo

Its not racism to hate Rap, its a degree of musical appreciation. All save the most extreme areas of rock at least have some musical qualities to them, something I rarely see from rap.

yeah, because all rap is about that kinda stuff. and i'd rather listen to 50 cent any day than listen to 4 guys growling and "singing" about killing themselves and worshipping the devil. 

batistafan99

I demand to know what group you are talking about.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArisShadows
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"]

Runningflame570

You would be surprised...anyways. Lots of techno features no words, classical music features no words and yet has been described as poetry on many occasions and there is a lot of rap out there that certainly doesn't have any understandable wording due to the excessive editing done to it (looking at you Beastie Boys).

True you caught me there.  I guess if it your taste, then that all it is, its your preference. I won't say there isn't alot of generic rap or so, but some of it 'aint' bad. I am not a big fan of it of myself, but their a few tunes here and there that will catch my ear.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

PSBox3SixWi

Okay, you generalizing all hiphop/rap like that is like me saying that all rock music embraces worshipping evil and suicide.  This is so ignorant.  Clearly you haven't heard any real hiphop artists.  Go pick up Lupe Fiasco's debut album.  He even rapped about skateboarding... far from talkin' about hoes.  

clsnbrdr616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clsnbrdr616
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts
Well the only games I've been playing are the Need for Speed games that this would apply to. To me it seemed like they kept putting more and more rap/hip-hop songs in those games and less rock. The last NFS game I played was carbon and I set it to just the rock songs and it then only had like 5-6 songs. It kept playing the same ones over and over. Where as the rap playlist had like 10-13 or more songs (I don't know if these numbers are correct so don't quote me on it :P). I'm not saying there should not be any rap/hip-hop or even that there there should be more rock than the other, because I know I'm not the only one playing videogames and I think you should listen to whatever you like. Its just that it would be nice if they kept it more even and didn't go one way or the other. Some games like Def Jam make sense to have that genre though :P so I would never say to change those.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
I have no problem with rap (most of it sucks in video games though) But that's why we have custom soundtracks and the ability to turn the music off in a game while keeping the sound effects and using a stereo. If you don't like the announcer in Fight Night go into the options and turn the announcer volume to a minimum.
batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
[QUOTE="beldugo"]

Runningflame570

Its not racism to hate Rap, its a degree of musical appreciation. All save the most extreme areas of rock at least have some musical qualities to them, something I rarely see from rap.

batistafan99

I demand to know what group you are talking about.

slayer 

WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WheresMyChippy
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts
I really haven't noticed that trend in particular.  I do miss the days of fully custom soundtracks before licensed tracks became the norm, although certain games just cry out for licensed music.  Gears of War for example had an excellent score.  Well except for that song at the credits!  STAND UP! UH!  GET DOWN!  TO THE LEFT!  WOOO!  TO THE RIGHT!
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ArisShadows
[QUOTE="PSBox3SixWi"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

GoldenGlove

Okay, you generalizing all hiphop/rap like that is like me saying that all rock music embraces worshipping evil and suicide.  This is so ignorant.  Clearly you haven't heard any real hiphop artists.  Go pick up Lupe Fiasco's debut album.  He even rapped about skateboarding... far from talkin' about hoes.  

Another good one is MC Chris. 

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Custom Soundtracks FTW
Idonomeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Idonomeus
Member since 2006 • 2273 Posts
Really? The last game I played with a licensed soundtrack with FIFA 07 and despite not being very good it didn't have much hip hop. Most games don't have licensed soundtracks anyway.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GoldenGlove
It's funny how you put hip hop in the title not knowing that rap and hip hop are two different things.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="PSBox3SixWi"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

ArisShadows

Another god one is MC Chris. 

I want candy, bubble gum and taffy, get in my way punk, you gonna get you a$$ beat, nasty!

cdrewsr388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 cdrewsr388
Member since 2003 • 2958 Posts
I used to work at Gamestop, and the majority of people who preorder/buy Madden, NBA live, etc. are minority groups.  So it would be understandable that Rap would be in the games.  Plus how many Metal bands are on MTV and VH1 climbing up the charts.  EA and the likes put popular crap in their games, whatever it is.  I particularly hate Hip Hop and Rap, but I dont see any Power/ Death metal being in any games for a while.  As close we will get are those lame 70s style bands like the Strokes or Jet.  Metal is becoming more and more popular every day, so I wouldnt be surprised if it enters some games pretty soon.  Who wouldn't want to see some In Flames or Children of Bodom in the next Need for Speed game eh?
beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts
[QUOTE="beldugo"]

Runningflame570

then stop been ignorant and find the musical quality in rap music.. i'm sure you can find something to your liking. just stop hating on rap please, it's just as good as any other genre of music out there.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ArisShadows
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="PSBox3SixWi"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

whoisryanmack

Another god one is MC Chris. 

I want candy, bubble gum and taffy, get in my way punk, you gonna get you a$$ beat, nasty!

I guess someone knows who I am talking about, he raps about all kind of different things. I got so much of his music, I love his style.Â