How would you react if PS4's main controller was a tablet?

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Be open minded and think about it. The controller is from a technical standpoint a dualshock, but with an added touch screen. Journalists at E3 said the U-pad feels great.

It doesn't have to include the streaming capability of the Wii U, so let's say you can use up to 4 tablets on each system for the sake of the argument.

It will be used as the second DS screen, showing information such as maps of the entire area without the need to pause the game & more things like drawing strategies or taking notes of things you want to remember in-game.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#2 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Honestly I hope Sony will stick to their controller's current design as it it something I've been used to for years.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

If there's no normal controller, it would probably reduce the chance of a purchase for me.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Honestly I do not see how the Wii U pad would be comfortable. I mean it is certainly neat but the 360 controller is much more comfortable. I do not understand why drawing or writing strategies is a big deal, I mean you could just get a pencil and paper. Not many games even need strategical plans. Again you could make a rough sketch of a map too if pausing is that big of a deal. The buttons look a little too small too as well. I am sure some games will use the Wii U's controller well though.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperFlakeman

If there's no normal controller, it would probably reduce the chance of a purchase for me.

KiZZo1

That makes no sense to me considering it's just like a normal controller, the games for it will be identical.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

tbh i wouldnt really care.

All 3 consoles need to diversify in general, kinect and move are weak attempts at it and tbh both bloody suck outside casualised garbage.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
"omigad"
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

I'll avoid any console with a tablet/controller hybrid thing. Just not that appealing. Having said that a table/controller could work well with certain MMOs.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Meh, don't really care. Chances are I'm not buying any consoles next gen.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperFlakeman

I'll avoid any console with a tablet/controller hybrid thing. Just not that appealing. Having said that a table/controller could work well with certain MMOs.

KC_Hokie

It would actually make RTS games playable on consoles.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I'd laugh and cross it off my "to buy list"
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
what if it was a blob of a substance halfway between jelly and play-doh with the electronics within sensing every movement. and also the heat of your body.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 razgriz_101

KC_Hokie

RTS, Rpg's like skyrim,Survival horrors and possibly racing games could benefit.I would love to see a good port of Football manager on a console to be honest it would benefit from the tablet like no other game, the portability and interactivity would be astounding for games like that.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

SuperFlakeman

Yea possibly. RPGs, RTS games, and MMOs could all work well with it. Theoretically. In Nintendo's case I don't see them making any of those types of games, other than maybe more Zelda, nor do I see them willing to pay 3rd developers.

If I ran Nintendo I would break out the check book and hire 3rd party developers to port RTS games, MMOs and RPGs to the Wii U.

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Meh, don't really care. Chances are I'm not buying any consoles next gen.Marka1700

Same. I'm going to invest in a PC finally.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KiZZo1

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

SuperFlakeman

That makes no sense to me considering it's just like a normal controller, the games for it will be identical.

Like a normal controller, only a lot more expensive. Why should I pay the added cost for a feature I don't want to use?

Oh, and by the way, the people reporting it was comfortable, probably did not play for a long period of time. So we'll have to wait till it hits the real world, before we declare it ergonomic.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

Not be surprised. There are already rumors of the PS4 having a Kinect like feature.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

KC_Hokie

Yea possibly. RPGs, RTS games, and MMOs could all work well with it. Theoretically. In Nintendo's case I don't see them making any of those types of games, other than maybe more Zelda, nor do I see them willing to pay 3rd developers.

If I ran Nintendo I would break out the check book and hire 3rd party developers to port RTS games, MMOs and RPGs to the Wii U.

your underestimating ninty, look at the n64 it bucked some trends and made probably the first sucessful FPS on consoles with an inexperienced team who used a lot of ingenuity with the hardware and what we knew FPS wise at the time.

And what bout Pikmin? Wii U is just gagging for a pikmin revival.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I honestly wouldn't buy the console.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I would laugh.
Then I would probably wait it out.
And eventually buy the nintendo one for the exclusives.
And then, if it turned out to be a really good platform, and financially I could afford it easily, I would buy the sony one as well.

Actually the same would likely happen if their controller isn't a tablet, minus the laughing.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

razgriz_101

your underestimating ninty, look at the n64 it bucked some trends and made probably the first sucessful FPS on consoles with an inexperienced team who used a lot of ingenuity with the hardware and what we knew FPS wise at the time.

Actually Miyamoto has formally announced Pikmin 3 for Wii U :P

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

razgriz_101

That controller/tablet thing would get annoying for FPS. And I have no interest in Pokemon/Pikmin.

Like I said above Nintendo needs MMOs, RTS and RPGs for me to purchase the Wii U with that tablet/controller hybrid thing. For other genres I would argue it could be plain annoying.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

KiZZo1

Like a normal controller, only a lot more expensive. Why should I pay the added cost for a feature I don't want to use?

Oh, and by the way, the people reporting it was comfortable, probably did not play for a long period of time. So we'll have to wait till it hits the real world, before we declare it ergonomic.

You are assuming it's expensive.

Also the profit margin for a normal controller is huge, they could cut down on that to keep the price low.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Yea possibly. RPGs, RTS games, and MMOs could all work well with it. Theoretically. In Nintendo's case I don't see them making any of those types of games, other than maybe more Zelda, nor do I see them willing to pay 3rd developers.

KC_Hokie

That controller/tablet thing would get annoying for FPS. And I have no interest in Pokemon/Pikmin.

Like I said above Nintendo needs MMOs, RTS and RPGs for me to purchase the Wii U with that tablet/controller hybrid thing. For other genres I would argue it could be plain annoying.

I'm not talking about Nintendo. I'm saying SC2 will be available for PS4/Wii U. That would be amazing right? Blizzard-Activision will surely go for it.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

SuperFlakeman

Also the profit margin for a normal controller is huge, they could cut down on that to keep the price low.

The Wii U controller/tablet thing is expensive. I read it's something like 7 times more expensive to make than a normal controller.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
It already have.... and will be sold separately..... not ps4 but ps3 xoxo vita
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Yea possibly. RPGs, RTS games, and MMOs could all work well with it. Theoretically. In Nintendo's case I don't see them making any of those types of games, other than maybe more Zelda, nor do I see them willing to pay 3rd developers.

KC_Hokie

being honest FPS is an oversaturated genre that needs to die/fall into the background like Sandbox games.Every other week theres some cookie cutter crap out in the FPS genre that i could care less, i want variety hence why i would kill for Pikmin instead of generic shooter modern borefest 9000.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

SuperFlakeman

I'm not talking about Nintendo. I'm saying SC2 will be available for PS4/Wii U. That would be amazing right? Blizzard-Activision will surely go for it.

Are you being sarcastic? Good thing a Star Craft game would never end up on a Nintendo or anything.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I'd be amazed that Nintendo managed to troll the entire industry twice in a row.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]That controller/tablet thing would get annoying for FPS. And I have no interest in Pokemon/Pikmin.

KC_Hokie

Are you being sarcastic? Good thing a Star Craft game would never end up on a Nintendo or anything.

Starcraft 64 is all im saying to this.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 razgriz_101

I'd be amazed that Nintendo managed to troll the entire industry twice in a row.

DarkLink77

Sony did it basically by playing a blind hand with PS1 and 2 :P mind you the PS1 was born out of sheer revenge against Ninty and Phillips.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

razgriz_101

The tablet/controller thing could actually make RTS games work well on consoles. That's what I've been trying to say from the start. Ditto with MMOs, especially MMOs, and RPGs.

But I don't see Nintendo doing that.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Are you being sarcastic? Good thing a Star Craft game would never end up on a Nintendo or anything. KC_Hokie

The tablet/controller thing could actually make RTS games work well on consoles. That's what I've been trying to say from the start. Ditto with MMOs, especially MMOs, and RPGs.

Nintendo doing what? It's up to Blizzard to port SC2.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I will probably not buy WiiU due to the new controller, so i would not buy a PS4 either, i dont want to hold anything while playing really, even the pad is a problem right now and making it a huge tablet just wont work for me

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

lolsonyyousooriginal

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

SuperFlakeman

Nintendo doing what? It's up to Blizzard to port SC2.

Not true at all. 3rd party developers do things they otherwise wouldn't when console makers break out the check book. Nintendo just sitting back hoping games get ported won't bring RTS, MMOs and RPGs to the Wii U. And having those genres come to the Wii U is the only way I would buy a Wii U.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

razgriz_101

Sony did it basically by playing a blind hand with PS1 and 2 :P mind you the PS1 was born out of sheer revenge against Ninty and Phillips.

Yes, but Nintendo is clearly trollin' at this point. It's not accidental. :P
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 razgriz_101

I will probably not buy WiiU due to the new controller, so i would not buy a PS4 either, i dont want to hold anything while playing really, even the pad is a problem right now and making it a huge tablet just wont work for me

loosingENDS

best laugh is you will buy Kinect.

Irony cannt be defined any better than by your posts my boy.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

i wouldnt buy the console. not unless they had a gamepad as an option.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SuperFlakeman

DarkLink77

Why is Wii considered trolling but N64 not? That caused Sony to change their PS1 controller.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KiZZo1

SuperFlakeman

Just go look at the prices of the most basic tablets. And didn't Iwata say it's not going to be cheap?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

SuperFlakeman

Why is Wii considered trolling but N64 not? That caused Sony to change their PS1 controller.

I guess that's true, too. Never really thought of it that way.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't be surprised with it. I mean, it's Sony.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

KiZZo1

Just go look at the prices of the most basic tablets. And didn't Iwata say it's not going to be cheap?

It doesn't have any actual components like processor which tablets do. It's just a screen.

Nintendo's tablet is very sophisticated with gyro, motion sensor, camera, streaming entire games to it.

Let's say $100 for one controller, that's the range I'm thinking it'll cost.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Honestly I would be disappointed and it would lower the chances of me buying the thing. I like the current controller and I hope they'll stick to that design. Though I have a feeling the controller will change for the ps4, just hope they won't screw it up.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

SuperFlakeman

It doesn't have any actual components like processor which tablets do. It's just a screen.

Nintendo's tablet is very sophisticated with gyro, motion sensor, camera, streaming entire games to it.

Let's say $100 for one controller, that's the range I'm thinking it'll cost.

I also read the Wii U tablet/controller will have flash memory. Flash memory isn't cheap at all compared to other types. That helps drive up the cost.

I actually hope MS and Sony don't use a tablet/controller due to cost. I would rather have that money go into the console hardware itself.

Nega3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nega3
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

I like the idea of tablets as controllers.

I don't get why everyone is going to skip the console if it happens.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
I would just laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Then I would walk away and avoid the system until they pulled their heads out of their asses and made a real controller for the system...the dualshock 4.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KC_Hokie

I like the idea of tablets as controllers.

I don't get why everyone is going to skip the console if it happens.

Nega3
Because for the most popular console genres (FPS, action, etc.) a tablet is just annoying and unnecessary. I mean what is the tablet going to tell you....your health and ammo?
Mattizzle815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Mattizzle815
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

Stick to the regular controller, I don't want a gimmicky controller like the wii and wii u