How much money did you make off selling Steam Trading Cards? (Steam FTW)

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Steam trading cards are a scam, if MS or Nintendo pulled this kind of $?!@ whe would never hear the end of it. Pay money for poor man achievements/trophies.deangallop

How is it a scam? Ā They're not forcing you to participate. Ā If anyting, it is the complete opposite of a scam, considering they are giving you the opportunity to make free money if you dont care for the cards and just choose to sell them. Ā Alot of people on my friends lists are selling the cards and have bought a free game or 2 from it already. Ā I'm sorry, but sounds like you just have no clue about what you're talking about.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Rage010101

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"][QUOTE="deangallop"]Steam trading cards are a scam, if MS or Nintendo pulled this kind of $?!@ whe would never hear the end of it. Pay money for poor man achievements/trophies.deangallop
:?

Paying money for a jpeg. Doesn't sound a little exploitve to you.

If you dont care for the system, you dont pay anyting, in fact you can still get free cards just by playing the games that are part of the program, then you can sell them for free money. Ā I'm sorry, but clearly you are very much misinformed about steam trading cards. Ā Go research it first, then come back here and speak about it instead of sounding clueless.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

[QUOTE="deangallop"]Steam trading cards are a scam, if MS or Nintendo pulled this kind of $?!@ whe would never hear the end of it. Pay money for poor man achievements/trophies.Rage010101

How is it a scam? Ā They're not forcing you to participate. Ā If anyting, it is the complete opposite of a scam, considering they are giving you the opportunity to make free money if you dont care for the cards and just choose to sell them. Ā Alot of people on my friends lists are selling the cards and have bought a free game or 2 from it already. Ā I'm sorry, but sounds like you just have no clue about what you're talking about.

The ones selling are not getting scammed, the ones buying are.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]Steam trading cards are a scam, if MS or Nintendo pulled this kind of $?!@ whe would never hear the end of it. Pay money for poor man achievements/trophies.deangallop

Thats not true, the ones buying for badges sometimes get rare/uncommon emoticons, backgorunds, foil cards, which they can in turn actually sell for profit. Ā Not to mention, once your steam level is very high, your rare items and booser pack drop percentage increases, meaning easier access to make more money for the long haul. Ā Again, please research it thoroughly before speaking as if you know the system.

Valve is actually giving you the tools to "MAKE MONEY" if you play the system right. Ā You're just short sighted to see it.Ā 

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]Steam trading cards are a scam, if MS or Nintendo pulled this kind of $?!@ whe would never hear the end of it. Pay money for poor man achievements/trophies.deangallop

How is it a scam? They're not forcing you to participate. If anyting, it is the complete opposite of a scam, considering they are giving you the opportunity to make free money if you dont care for the cards and just choose to sell them. Alot of people on my friends lists are selling the cards and have bought a free game or 2 from it already. I'm sorry, but sounds like you just have no clue about what you're talking about.

In all honesty, they are not, they are getting what they are aiming for, some sort of cosmetic piece to string along their profile.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Rage010101

Thats not true, the ones buying for badges sometimes get rare/uncommon emoticons, backgorunds, foil cards, which they can in turn actually sell for profit. Ā Not to mention, once your steam level is very high, your rare items and booser pack drop percentage increases, meaning easier access to make more money for the long haul. Ā Again, please research it thoroughly before speaking as if you know the system.

Valve is actually giving you the tools to "MAKE MONEY" if you play the system right. Ā You're just short sighted to see it.Ā 

The fact that there is money involved at all indicates that it's a money making scheme for valve, none of this needs to be monetized. It could be a better version of achievements if they wanted it to be. In it's current state it's both a scam for those who've got to "have them all" and a paywall for people who want extra small features ( that valve could give to everbody for free.)

Don't get me wrong valve's not the only one scamming, MS should be giving away gamer pics and themes for free.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Rage010101

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

How is it a scam? They're not forcing you to participate. If anyting, it is the complete opposite of a scam, considering they are giving you the opportunity to make free money if you dont care for the cards and just choose to sell them. Alot of people on my friends lists are selling the cards and have bought a free game or 2 from it already. I'm sorry, but sounds like you just have no clue about what you're talking about.

ArisShadows

In all honesty, they are not, they are getting what they are aiming for, some sort of cosmetic piece to string along their profile.

What Valve is doing with trading cards doesnt fit the description of a scam. Ā With a scam, you are usually duped by another party in that they dont hold true to their end of the bargain. Ā In this case, Valve is telling us exactly what we get out of buying cards and crafting badges. Ā Not to mention, you can make money out of this. Ā You especially make money if you don't plan to buy anything and just get the free card drops. Ā I'm wondering if you even have Steam, otherwise you would know that you can make free money today if you have any of the games that are part of the program. Ā I'm sorry, but you really need to learn the definition of a scam.

scamĀ (skƦm)Ā 

n.,Ā v.Ā scammed, scamming.Ā n.

1.Ā a fraudulent scheme; swindle.

v.t.

2.Ā to cheat; defraud.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I am tempted to pay 10-20 cents for a cool background for my steam profile.
Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

deangallop

The fact that there is money involved at all indicates that it's a money making scheme for valve, none of this needs to be monetized. It could be a better version of achievements if they wanted it to be. In it's current state it's both a scam for those who've got to "have them all" and a paywall for people who want extra small features ( that valve could give to everbody for free.)

Don't get me wrong valve's not the only one scamming, MS should be giving away gamer pics and themes for free.

Ā 

hardly a scam since the only people that want the cards want them to make a badge to show of on their profile they know exactly what their getting and the people like me selling the cards get them for free for either playing games or voting on the community choice during the sale and we get to make a few quid here and there and valve take a tiny cut of it.

Ā 

so where is this scam? it is all straight forward and upfront, even when you go to sell one you can select a price and theres 2 feilds to enter it eg valve gets 5 pence you get 20.

Ā 

how more straight forward can you get wtf you mean a scam?

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Rage010101

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Yrkoon99

Ā 

hardly a scam since the only people that want the cards want them to make a badge to show of on their profile they know exactly what their getting and the people like me selling the cards get them for free for either playing games or voting on the community choice during the sale and we get to make a few quid here and there and valve take a tiny cut of it.

Ā 

so where is this scam? it is all straight forward and upfront, even when you go to sell one you can select a price and theres 2 feilds to enter it eg valve gets 5 pence you get 20.

Ā 

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself. Ā I'm starting to think deangallop doesnt even have steam and hasnt acquired any "free cards", else he wouldnt be talking all this nonsense that he keeps spewing.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

20$ or so from dupes that I just bought more cards with.

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Yrkoon99

[QUOTE="Yrkoon99"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

Rage010101

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself. Ā I'm starting to think deangallop doesnt even have steam and hasnt acquired any "free cards", else he wouldnt be talking all this nonsense that he keeps spewing.

Ā 

lol aye that guy doesnt have a scoobie :P

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Yrkoon99

my friend is holding onto all his cards he thinks he will get a big profit on them once the supply dry's up , meh ill keep a few in reserve for if that becomes the case :)

Ā 

dang my coh2 ones sold like hot cakes :)

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
$0.65 I spent most of my money on emotes and backgrounds :3
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I made $1.50 selling a TF2 item.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
0.00 :(
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#68 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
"I am the one who buys".
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Sold a Mark of the Ninja card the other day. It sold for $0.10.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
I got like 0.50 or something from selling some dupes. I was late. Bought the FM2013 card to complete my summer badge and the rest got sucked up by some game or another.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#71 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

well I just made $.23 from 2 dupes I had in my inventory.

All I wanted to do was to level up my community badge.

RedCore119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RedCore119
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

More of a PC section discussion Id think.

Gargus

RedCore119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 RedCore119
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

Zero i'm no basement dweller

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 LegatoSkyheart

Zero i'm no basement dweller

RedCore119

consolites don't understand profit.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Over 70 euros since joined the beta early.

Badges are so pointless...

Ā 

Oh and if you add tf2 items,it goes way higher.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#76 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Anyone want my 75% off Serious Sam 3 BFE?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LegatoSkyheart

cain006

I'd take it from ya. I might use it to get a game in my inventory. It'll be useful one day.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46596 Posts

I'm sure this will turn out to be a goldmine for Valve (and for me). People are willing to spend money on everything, no matter how useless it is.

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

Right now...ZERO.

I have a plan of selling my cards in a few months or even few years. The market is saturated now and therefore the cards are worthless (as low as 0.05$). But when the inital strike cools down I expect to see cards going for ~3$ and if I have 20 cards (and much much more) I can make 10$ per game I own.

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
I enjoy the trading card metagame, great idea by Valve.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

LegatoSkyheart

I'd take it from ya. I might use it to get a game in my inventory. It'll be useful one day.

Okay what's your steam username? Mine's [Mar] Thehelloman0

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 cain006

Right now...ZERO.

I have a plan of selling my cards in a few months or even few years. The market is saturated now and therefore the cards are worthless (as low as 0.05$). But when the inital strike cools down I expect to see cards going for ~3$ and if I have 20 cards (and much much more) I can make 10$ per game I own.

homeboylizard

Cards are going to be constantly coming into the market. If anything the demand will go down after a while because the people who were buying cards will have maxed out the badges they wanted.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I am up to $7.59. I spent $3.99, so I have $3.60 left.
ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

Just gotĀ S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of ChernobylĀ for 1.74euroĀ , people were praising it so much in the post-apocalypse topic!