How long will PC gaming be viable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

We already live in times when consoles get all the good stuff while PC gaming lags behind. It's only a matter of time when PC gaming becomes obsolete. All the big companies know they can get the best profits on the consoles and it's just not viable to optimize games for something so resource-hungry as modern PCs. Face it, the openess of this platform is also it's downfall because of the optimization problems. A console of the same specs than today's high-end PCs have would produce 3 times better graphics and performance. The next consoles will end the problems of the current consoles and then the PC will have nothing to offer over them so all the games will be for the consoles. People won't care for DX15 if there won't even be games for DX12 so hardware sales will stagnate and laptops and smartphones will replace desktop PCs. Steam will also make it to consoles eventually and I think the next consoles will also run older PC games.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Are you saying pc gaming is dying nameless? Man.. this is sooo dejavu 2005..... goes to look up system wars and similar threads when the 360 released LOL....
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

how long will console gaming be viable? if they keep this trend of dumbing down games then eventually they will release CoD XXIV and when it starts up it will say 'press X to win'

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

PC gaming will live on, but it's obvious it's losing steam. Look at the exclusives that were coming out on PC in 03-06 or so, and look at the games the exclusives that have been coming out lately. They're both underwhelming (excluding a few) and few in numbers. Developers know they're going to make the most $ just releasing multiplat, and then the point of the PC, better hardware, becomes pointless for almost every genre. However, you do need PC for RTS, lol, so I'll keep buying them until they start making good RTS games for consoles.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts
Sorry, stopped reading at "PC lags behind" . Come back when consoles get games like shogun 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Kings Bounty, Amnesia, Stalker, World in Conflict, The Witcher 2, Dawn of War etc etc. Don't tell me it lags behind. I have a ps3 and I never touch it, I have no need to.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Console gaming died when the N64 died. Ever since then, they've been trying harder and harder to be like PC's. Discs, keyboards, internet, messaging, video/music streaming/playback, patches/updates, downloadable content, digital distribution... next gen I fully expect full keyboard support and word processing applications. A "gaming console" is something you plug into the TV, pop in a game, and start playing. The "plug-n-play" experience has long since died. PC gaming is really the only viable form of gaming left thanks mostly to Sony and Microsoft.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

That's not what EA and Dice are doing.

BF3's lead paltform is the PC, and the videos show it.

The witcher 2 is a better game than Bioware's best this year.

The whole premis of the TC is ridiculous nonsense that has been spouted by ignorant, trollign console fanboys since the NES came out.

IT wasn't true then, and it isn't true now.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

PC gaming will live on, but it's obvious it's losing steam.

magnax1

If "losing steam" means a 200 percent sales increase on the platforms most popular store, ok then...

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

PC gaming will live on, but it's obvious it's losing steam.

agpickle

If "losing steam" means a 200 percent sales increase on the platforms most popular store, ok then...

I wasn't talking about sales, I was talking about games. Look at the PS3 exclusives compared the the exclusives on PC in the last 5 or so years.

SirDigby84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SirDigby84
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts
Been a console gamer (also had a basic pc) since i was a kid, the length of this gen was enough to get me to buy a PC as well as my ps3, felt like i was missing too much. So until consoles become upgradeable and open platform (aka they become PCs) there will always be a need for PC gaming.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

It won't ever die. But it will get nowhere near the attention now that it did in the early to mid 90's. Consoles have always had a large portion of the gaming audience and now Consoles own most of it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

When they stop making games on PC, which is never.

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

People will be gaming on PCs long after the consoles' death.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I wasn't talking about sales, I was talking about games. Look at the PS3 exclusives compared the the exclusives on PC in the last 5 or so years.magnax1
The PC has more higher scoring exclusives than all three consoles combined... and Gamespot hasn't even reviewed all of them.
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

As long as computers continue to be used, pc gaming will still remain a force.

There.