How long do you think Sony domination will continue?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45497 Posts

Until the Switch comes out? Or Scorpio? Or will we have to wait until a complete next gen refresh, if there will be one. It seems like if Sony keeps popping out upgrades it can keep going. What do you think, SW? I must know your thoughts.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think the domination has already ended, starting with the well received Xbone S, followed by luke warm reception on PS4 Pro and PSVR. Next year, Switch and Scorpio have the spotlight.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Another one of these huh, and right before Christmas.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Switch has the best chance of taking the spotlight, provided that Nintendo doesn't **** it up and make the same mistakes as the Wii U.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Are you talking about the machine or the games portfolio? As far as games are concerned, there is no domination. Some genres are handled better and are overall better represented on the Sony machines, whereas other machines such as the Xbox One and WiiU handle some other genres better. Each machine has its strengths and weaknesses the way I see it, there isn't one machine that covers every single genre perfectly.

As far as the actual hardware it seems the PS4 is still doing great and it won last months sales, but from what I read it was fairly close and it seems the XOne currently is selling very close to PS4 numbers, so there is no "domination" on the hardware front either, as of late.

Domination was probably not the right word to use in the OP to be honest, market leader is probably more appropriate here and how long they will remain I have no clue, very unpredictable market. Too busy to wonder about this for too long, they can stay locked in fierce competition and we the consumers reap the rewards.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

In sales? This gen has been won by PS4 already.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Till the end of time

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

We will probably get at least one Christmas present here on Christmas ;)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44289 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

I think TC needs to be visited by three ghosts Christmas Eve and perhaps he'll change his ways. lol

OT... Two words... Mighty Scorpio. :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I think they'll probably maintain a lead through the end of this gen because MS botched their launch so badly, but they're no longer outselling at the crazy rate it was, and as the gen goes on the gap becomes less significant with so many millions of systems out there.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Maybe switch, but I kinda am doubting it will be huge like the wii. Xbone has to fix their problem with having no games to be competitive

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

PS4 is surely doing well but we shouldn't discredit what X1 and the upcoming Switch are bringing and could bring to the table.

It's a great time to be a gamer no matter which system you support.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

The Switch will possibly sell really well in which case it could provide a decent challenge for Sony but the xbone is murdered and destroyed already by Sony both in sales and games. I'm afraid to say that Sony destroyed the xbox brand completely. Sorry lems.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

PS3 was the outlier. Until someone wants to step in and challenge Sony's output in terms of exclusives and market presence, Playstation is going to be at the top.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

Didn't even know Sony was dominating anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

• Sony $17.7B
  • Nintendo $18.4B
  • Microsoft $290B
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

As long as the sun rises

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44289 Posts

@itstotallymike said:
  • Sony $17.7B
  • Nintendo $18.4B
  • Microsoft $290B

Supah Dupah Domination Continuation right there. lol

Win10, half a billion gamers strong and growing. All playing together, playing anywhere. Thank you based MS, for the gamers jazz. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

Well through end of this gen for sure. Seems to me they got GEN 8 on LOCK. In NA, and of course World wide.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59353 Posts

Nintendo make games - it could be a dish washer with "insert game" spray painted on the side and it would be more of a system.

Sony sully the medium on a daily basis.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Until the Switch comes out? Or Scorpio? Or will we have to wait until a complete next gen refresh, if there will be one. It seems like if Sony keeps popping out upgrades it can keep going. What do you think, SW? I must know your thoughts.

Sony will remain Top Dog until they royally screw up, like a Microsoft XB1 DRM fiasco level fudge up. Neither Switch or Scorpio pose a real threat.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emgesp

@trugs26 said:

I think the domination has already ended, starting with the well received Xbone S, followed by luke warm reception on PS4 Pro and PSVR. Next year, Switch and Scorpio have the spotlight.

If you look at Amazon's Best Sellers of 2016 list PS4 Pro beat out XB1 S.

#44 PS4 Pro

#72 XB1 S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#1

Lukewarm my ass.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Ooh no another fear of Scorpio crap if we say Sony won already?? Lol Sony won this gen already. Better luck next gen. At best Nintendo can win Japan and what ever the next xbox will win na but ps will win worldwide for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think for as long as they deserve it- no one can argue that Sony have not earned their current place at the top. Until some other company comes along that beats Sony at giving a lot of customers what they want for a cheap and accessible price, Sony will not be beaten.

Now, potentially, that could be Switch, that could be Scorpio, or it might be neither of them- we'll start finding out in a few months!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

The domination has already won. Sony has sold over 50 million PS4s and their worldwide lead continues to grow while MS continues to hide their worldwide figures out of embarrassment.

No hope of Xbone ever catching up and Switch no matter how successful won't make up a 50 million unit deficit anytime soon, especially as the PS4 continues to sell as well as it is. The console war for this gen is already over.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Till next generation arrives , if ever.

Not only SONY delivering awesome exclusives one after the other , not only many more are coming but it seems that third party developers starting to favor PS once again and that is the most scary thing. To have many 3rd parties along your 1st going exclusive to your platform that ALREADY leading the market.

Scorpio and even Switch , whatever their sales might be wont affect PS this generation. Youll ask , wtf you talking but hear this. Its a fact that most of diehard lems/sheep that used to diss PS3 and PS brand last gen they didnt even think to own a PS3 last gen or bought a PS3 way later into last generation , they already are owners of a PS4. And i know too many already die hard lems/sheep that were screaming last generation how bad PS3 is or that PC/Wii was the best combo etc.

And as long as SONY delivering such exciting exclusives , more and more people even if they dislike PS4 and SONY in general , theyll get forced to buy one if they havent already . Too many great/good/amazing or whatever exclusive games to pass by.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I think for as long as they deserve it- no one can argue that Sony have not earned their current place at the top.

To be fair, a lot of it was luck. If it weren't for MS totally screwing up the xOne and Sony going after MS press conference to announce a cheaper price, the PS4 wouldn't have done nearly as good as it does now.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuadKnight
@charizard1605 said:

I think for as long as they deserve it- no one can argue that Sony have not earned their current place at the top. Until some other company comes along that beats Sony at giving a lot of customers what they want for a cheap and accessible price, Sony will not be beaten.

Now, potentially, that could be Switch, that could be Scorpio, or it might be neither of them- we'll start finding out in a few months!

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Pretty sure MS is already dominating seeing as Windows 10 is their top gaming platform, far far above what Sony has in sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ArchoNils2 said:
@charizard1605 said:

I think for as long as they deserve it- no one can argue that Sony have not earned their current place at the top.

To be fair, a lot of it was luck. If it weren't for MS totally screwing up the xOne and Sony going after MS press conference to announce a cheaper price, the PS4 wouldn't have done nearly as good as it does now.

That's basically my point- Sony gave people what they wanted, MS and Nintendo did not. Sony dominated. If and when MS and Nintendo start offering people what they want, they will start giving Sony a run for their money. Whether or not that happens with the Switch and Scorpio remains to be seen.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By QuadKnight

@Shewgenja said:

PS3 was the outlier. Until someone wants to step in and challenge Sony's output in terms of exclusives and market presence, Playstation is going to be at the top.

Pretty much this. Unless Sony trips over themselves no one can beat them. They've dominated every gen they've been in other than the PS3 gen, this gen was just a return to normalcy for them.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArchoNils2

@charizard1605 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:
@charizard1605 said:

That's basically my point- Sony gave people what they wanted, MS and Nintendo did not. Sony dominated. If and when MS and Nintendo start offering people what they want, they will start giving Sony a run for their money. Whether or not that happens with the Switch and Scorpio remains to be seen.

Totally agree with that. Sadly all Sony needs to do is screw up less than MS and Nintendo :/ I just think it's sad that this is all you need to do to dominate this gen :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ArchoNils2 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Totally agree with that. Sadly all Sony needs to do is screw up less than MS and Nintendo :/ I just think it's sad that this is all you need to do to dominate this gen :/

Well, I think Sony deserves credit for turning it around from where they were last generation as well. Nintendo and Microsoft got successful and got their heads up their asses- Sony had their ass handed to them and became receptive and responsive to the market. We may now see MS and Nintendo respond to their own failures with the Scorpio and Switch, and see how that goes. My assumption is that one of them will be wildly, and the other mildly, successful- but which will be which?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ArchoNils2

@charizard1605: Can't wait to find out. It's also possible that both fail. xBox users going more towards Pc (where you get the same games, but without cost for online) and Nintendo losing against the mobile market. After Pokemon Go and this endless Mario runner doing so well I can see some investors wanting more involvement into mobile games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ArchoNils2 said:

@charizard1605: Can't wait to find out. It's also possible that both fail. xBox users going more towards Pc (where you get the same games, but without cost for online) and Nintendo losing against the mobile market. After Pokemon Go and this endless Mario runner doing so well I can see some investors wanting more involvement into mobile games.

The Xbox-Windows ecosystem seems to have benefitted Xbox One more than anything (remember, sales for Xbox One went up after E3, and stayed up until November this year); similarly, Nintendo's mobile games are helping their mainline systems and games more than hurting them (Pokemon GO causing Nintendo 3DS, and Pokemon game sales on 3DS, to spike, not to mention other 3DS games in the process as well, such as Monster Hunter).

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ArchoNils2

@charizard1605 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

The Xbox-Windows ecosystem seems to have benefitted Xbox One more than anything (remember, sales for Xbox One went up after E3, and stayed up until November this year); similarly, Nintendo's mobile games are helping their mainline systems and games more than hurting them (Pokemon GO causing Nintendo 3DS, and Pokemon game sales on 3DS, to spike, not to mention other 3DS games in the process as well, such as Monster Hunter).

That's a good point. Well I guess time will tell. I do get the Switch for sure. Not sure about Scorpio. If it doesn't have any exclusives, I don't really see the point in owning one as long as my Pc is much more powerful than the Scorpio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ArchoNils2 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

That's a good point. Well I guess time will tell. I do get the Switch for sure. Not sure about Scorpio. If it doesn't have any exclusives, I don't really see the point in owning one as long as my Pc is much more powerful than the Scorpio

Yeah, the Switch will be worth getting even if all it is is a system with consolidated Nintendo first party games plus Nintendo's traditional handheld third party games. Anything else is gravy on top. Scorpio, I can see PC owners not wanting to get Xbox, but seeing as I'm not big into Windows, I may go and pick up an Xbox One for myself for Forza Horizon and Scalebound eventually.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Longer than the Roman Empire, I'm sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@clone01 said:

Longer than the Roman Empire, I'm sure.

So if Kaz Hirai is Julius Caesar, who will be Brutus? Yoshida?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

There's a higher chance of seeing a Bioware game with good animations than PS4 losing steam

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#42 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

MS beat out Sony in my eyes when they decided to release all their games on Window 10. they FINALLY made good on their continual promises to improve their support for PC gaming, and its a 'everyone wins' situation. Can't have been an easy decision to make, even with the underwhelming Xbone sales

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

@trugs26 said:

This.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@itstotallymike said:
  • Sony $17.7B
  • Nintendo $18.4B
  • Microsoft $290B

Supah Dupah Domination Continuation right there. lol

Win10, half a billion gamers strong and growing. All playing together, playing anywhere. Thank you based MS, for the gamers jazz. :P

I was gonna say, the title should read how long do you think it will take Sony to recover from their fall?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@emgesp said:
@trugs26 said:

#44 PS4 Pro

#72 XB1 S

Lukewarm my ass.

Yeah I won't be looking at first year holiday sales as any indication thanks. For example, Wii U had decent holiday sales in 2012:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/01/30/nintendo-financials-reveal-wii-u-sales

"It seems, then, that the Wii U launch has gone well, but not as well as Nintendo had hoped."

When I say "luke warm", I'm referring to the general word of mouth online. For example, Kinda Funny, the guys with the biggest Sony fanboys, even say that PS4 Pro has come off lukewarm (not exact wording). Likewise, PSVR has had articles written with headlines such as "Biggest Loser Of Holiday Season" and has generally had low buzz around it since launch.

Whereas Xbone S had been consistently been the top seller month by month since it launched, something Microsoft had not achieved at all since Xbone's launched. Which is why I'm saying that the PS4 domination has clearly ended. That's not to say that PS4 Pro (or Sony in general) won't do well, I'm just saying that Sony aren't dominating the market anymore. Xbone S has already proven that, and there's no doubt that there is a good buzz around the Switch. And on top of that, Sony has already dealt their hand on upcoming hardware this year, so now it's Microsoft and Nintendo's turn in 2017 to generate hype around their upcoming systems.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 emgesp

@trugs26: November pretty much proved that Microsoft won those previous months because a lot of people were waiting on the PS4 Pro. All we need is December sales in January to prove that the momentum is still with Sony.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@trugs26 said:
@emgesp said:
@trugs26 said:

#44 PS4 Pro

#72 XB1 S

Lukewarm my ass.

Yeah I won't be looking at first year holiday sales as any indication thanks. For example, Wii U had decent holiday sales in 2012:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/01/30/nintendo-financials-reveal-wii-u-sales

"It seems, then, that the Wii U launch has gone well, but not as well as Nintendo had hoped."

When I say "luke warm", I'm referring to the general word of mouth online. For example, Kinda Funny, the guys with the biggest Sony fanboys, even say that PS4 Pro has come off lukewarm (not exact wording). Likewise, PSVR has had articles written with headlines such as "Biggest Loser Of Holiday Season" and has generally had low buzz around it since launch.

Whereas Xbone S had been consistently been the top seller month by month since it launched, something Microsoft had not achieved at all since Xbone's launched. Which is why I'm saying that the PS4 domination has clearly ended. That's not to say that PS4 Pro (or Sony in general) won't do well, I'm just saying that Sony aren't dominating the market anymore. Xbone S has already proven that, and there's no doubt that there is a good buzz around the Switch. And on top of that, Sony has already dealt their hand on upcoming hardware this year, so now it's Microsoft and Nintendo's turn in 2017 to generate hype around their upcoming systems.

Unless you only looking at NA itself other wise Worldwide = total numbers, which Sony is still murdering the Xbone. So yeah, Sony PS is still dominating the Market.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@charizard1605: Maybe not at the beginning of this gen, but as of now, I definitely would disagree that Sony deserves the top spot.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9741 Posts

After this year's E3 for Sony and PSX I think they might do that until 2018.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

It will continue until the cows come home.

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

Sometimes I crack myself up.