How Good is Shadow of Colossus????

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ps3Solider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ps3Solider
Member since 2006 • 1115 Posts

I hear too much good things about this game and Team ICO. I never played Shadow of Col, what makes it soo great? And how would you rank it amongst the best in terms of quality? 

BTW, Im thinking of buying it. Actually I am buying it for sure based on the score and the reception, but I would like to know a little bit more.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is a ****ing masterpiece. You may not enjoy the gameplay but everyone has to admit it is art. Pure and simple. Anyone who owns a PS2 or knows someone with one needs to play the game.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
wiki it.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#4 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
i can't really put my finger on what makes it great, but you should still play it. it's amazing
Ps3Solider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ps3Solider

It is a ****ing masterpiece. You may not enjoy the gameplay but everyone has to admit it is art. Pure and simple. Anyone who owns a PS2 or knows someone with one needs to play the game.foxhound_fox

Yea, everyone who has played the game pretty much sounds like you. Did the game do well in sales? just wondering. 

jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jet052006
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts
One of my favorite games, lets you roam around a huge world while trying to find giant colossus's that can range from giant human like creatures to big dog like colossus's. Felt pretty cool to finally climb to the top of some and take them down. Everything was great about the game but the ending was kinda of disappointing.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
The melancholy , the emotions....
Ps3Solider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ps3Solider

One of my favorite games, lets you roam around a huge world while trying to find giant colossus's that can range from giant human like creatures to big dog like colossus's. Felt pretty cool to finally climb to the top of some and take them down. Everything was great about the game but the ending was kinda of disappointing.jet052006

i heard the ending was like 20 min.  

Endfinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Endfinal
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
It's an experiance that differs from normal games that you see everyday.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox
Yea, everyone who has played the game pretty much sounds like you. Did the game do well in sales? just wondering. Ps3Solider

No. That is the problem with these high quality art games. They never do well. Look at Okami, one of the most artistically unique games and Capcom shut down Clover Studios.
leadernator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 leadernator
Member since 2003 • 9064 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]It is a ****ing masterpiece. You may not enjoy the gameplay but everyone has to admit it is art. Pure and simple. Anyone who owns a PS2 or knows someone with one needs to play the game.Ps3Solider

Yea, everyone who has played the game pretty much sounds like you. Did the game do well in sales? just wondering. 

sales were pretty good, but for the quality of the game, it could have been better.  consumers are too busy buying those crap licensed DS games.

sales were good enough for a GH version of the game.

Zuluking187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zuluking187
Member since 2005 • 2561 Posts
Meh  I didn't really like it.
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts
You fight big furry creatures with a sword and ride a horse around a massive outdoor environment. I'd give it about an 8.5 for a PS2 game.
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "quality". If you're asking if it has disney level production quality then no. But it is one of the best things ever made for any Sony system.

The graphics are'nt the best on ps2, but who the hell cares about graphics right, movie watchers and casuals? The gameplay is where it's at with this game. All you do is hunt down and kill huge monsters, but that's enough to make it one of the greatest games of all time.

hazuki87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15 hazuki87
Member since 2004 • 2031 Posts

As someone who hates Sony and everything about them and is a supporter of the 360 and Wii. I have to say Shadow of the Colossus was last gens best game and one of the top 10 games ever in my opinion.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I have SoTC and its a crap game............ OK you got me :P. Shadow of the colossus is the most beautiful game I own, the music, the look, the feel. Its just awesome. The game truly evokes emotion in the player, you know you have to kill the giant beasts to awake your girlfriend but yet you also feel sorry for the colossus you kill. Its like your the bad guy but your intentions are pure yet you have no other way around the situation, you must save your girlfriend.

The game really makes me contemplate when I'm just riding around in the lush landscape and no other game has done this to me.

Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
I's an INSANELY GOOD game. One of the best games ever. Go play it NOW
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts
an absolutely memorable experience. you will enjoy. go buy. only $20 bucks. it's fun. (what more do you need?)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
Here is a plot analysis from GameFAQs. I recommend anyone who has played and finished the game read it. It contains massive spoilers and should not be read by anyone who wishes to discover the magic of the game themselves.

I love how the plot of the game was open-ended and left it open for interpretation. If you don't play it for the gameplay... play it for the experience.
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts
Would you kill innocent creatures to save the one you love ?
slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts

What makes the game great is that each collussus you encounter is unique and has its own weakness...it truly feels like an accomplishment when you take one down.,not like beating any typical videogame boss where you just might follow a pattern...each collossus requires suberb thinking

You really feel like you are in a struggle of monumental proportions...not to mention the feel of the game really shows the compassion of the character...

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

[QUOTE="Ps3Solider"]Yea, everyone who has played the game pretty much sounds like you. Did the game do well in sales? just wondering. foxhound_fox

No. That is the problem with these high quality art games. They never do well. Look at Okami, one of the most artistically unique games and Capcom shut down Clover Studios.

I actually think that SotC, unlike ICO, sold well. I'm pretty sure it was a Greatest Hits title, so it had to have done something right.

TC, it's an incredible game. You should get it.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
It's quite unlike any other game every made, and absolutely needs to be experienced. 
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
Its awesome. Its 1 of the 3 games that I gave a perfect 10 :D
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts

It's one of my favorite games of all time.

That and ICO are beatiful games, you will never forget them after playing them. 

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
It's one of the best games I have ever played... and I can't really explain why. The mood? The story? The love? The scale and scope of the game? Any of those single reasons are enough... but if you love gaming, ANY gaming at all... pick it up today and play it, you'll thank us all later. It's such a hard game to explain "why", but you won't be sorry.
Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

It's very unique. It's almost certainly the most technically ambitious use of the PS2 hardware, ever.

There are PS2 games that look snazzier, to be sure. But nothing else on the system even comes close to the environment in this game in terms of size and environmental detail. Unfortunately the environment is completely empty of mobile objects to interact with other than your horse, some sparse wildlife and 16 colossi.

The lighting model is well above and beyond practically everything else on the platform, as well.

The sound design is superb - ambient noises only while traversing the world, classical compositions while battling colossi, and cool voice acting during cutscenes. (It's an invented language that combines Japanese and Latin syllables, so it sounds awesomely incomprehensible and alien.) The only criticism I have is that the dynamic shifts in the soundtrack occasionally cue up imperfectly, but that's more a recognition of how well they work most of the time.

Truly amazing moment - running along Phalanx's back and seeing Agro the horse pacing your progress hundreds of feet below. The scope and scale do an amazing job of justifying the compromises made in terms of framerate, but be warned - this game really does deserve the name "Slideshow of the Colossus".

Note: There's a $20 Player's choice edition, so buy the damn game already.

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 remaGloohcSdlO
I just read through most posts... and everyone makes valid points, and there isn't even any bashing in this thread, which has to be reason enough! Can anyone imagine, or even comprehend what a PS3 version could do to gaming. If done right, it could be the game of the decade! And yes, it did sell well... but it's STILL under appreciated IMO.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 remaGloohcSdlO

It's very unique.  It's almost certainly the most technically ambitious use of the PS2 hardware, ever.

There are PS2 games that look snazzier, to be sure.  But nothing else on the system even comes close to the environment in this game in terms of size and environmental detail.  Unfortunately the environment is completely empty of mobile objects to interact with other than your horse, some sparse wildlife and 16 colossi.

The lighting model is well above and beyond practically everything else on the platform, as well.

The sound design is superb - ambient noises only while traversing the world, classical compositions while battling colossi, and cool voice acting during cutscenes.  (It's an invented language that combines Japanese and Latin syllables, so it sounds awesomely incomprehensible and alien.)  The only criticism I have is that the dynamic shifts in the soundtrack occasionally cue up imperfectly, but that's more a recognition of how well they work most of the time.

Truly amazing moment - running along Phalanx's back and seeing Agro the horse pacing your progress hundreds of feet below.  The scope and scale do an amazing job of justifying the compromises made in terms of framerate, but be warned - this game really does deserve the name "Slideshow of the Colossus". 

Iyethar
Great post... but I have to say, I never really experienced any frame rate issues... or maybe it was so awesome I don't remember. I played it on a brand new slimline PS2 when it came out, not sure if older firmware had a worse time with it or not.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox
I just read through most posts... and everyone makes valid points, and there isn't even any bashing in this thread, which has to be reason enough! Can anyone imagine, or even comprehend what a PS3 version could do to gaming. If done right, it could be the game of the decade! And yes, it did sell well... but it's STILL under appreciated IMO.remaGloohcSdlO

A PS3 version? Hmm... perhaps the next project from Team ICO, but SotC is perfect as it stands. Other than the framerate issues of course. Which I believe can be rectified by playing it on a PS3. Team ICO's next project is going to make it hard to not spend $700 CAD on a PS3. Hopefully the price will have gone down by then.

Great post... but I have to say, I never really experienced any frame rate issues... or maybe it was so awesome I don't remember. I played it on a brand new slimline PS2 when it came out, not sure if older firmware had a worse time with it or not.remaGloohcSdlO

You might have not noticed it because it was covered up by excellent use of motion blur. When you turned the camera you can see the slowdown if you look hard enough. ;)
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
I was talking to one of my friends about it and he thought it would suck when I told him it only had 16 enemies in the game. But he played it and loved. Its still one of my favourite games to date. Just riding through the landscape between colosie battles is amazing and the actual battles themselves are epic. I mean how many games do you face off against a giant lizard like creature in an entirely open desert landscape that can fly and submerge itself in the sand. And having to scale giant walking creatures and stab them, generaly in the top of the head. Just truely incredible.
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
The game itself is fantastic, but the camera pissed me off to no end, it was so awkward cause you start running and your character shifts off to the side due to the camera angle, and if you want to look at the Colossus, the camera starts shifting back behind your character. That was my only beef with the game, overall its brilliant and I really enjoyed it. I have been meaning to write a review on it. 9.1 in my book.
syedahmeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 syedahmeds
Member since 2005 • 293 Posts
stands out from all the other PS2 games. its a MASTERPIECE.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 remaGloohcSdlO
[QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"]I just read through most posts... and everyone makes valid points, and there isn't even any bashing in this thread, which has to be reason enough! Can anyone imagine, or even comprehend what a PS3 version could do to gaming. If done right, it could be the game of the decade! And yes, it did sell well... but it's STILL under appreciated IMO.foxhound_fox

A PS3 version? Hmm... perhaps the next project from Team ICO, but SotC is perfect as it stands. Other than the framerate issues of course. Which I believe can be rectified by playing it on a PS3. Team ICO's next project is going to make it hard to not spend $700 CAD on a PS3. Hopefully the price will have gone down by then.

Great post... but I have to say, I never really experienced any frame rate issues... or maybe it was so awesome I don't remember. I played it on a brand new slimline PS2 when it came out, not sure if older firmware had a worse time with it or not.remaGloohcSdlO

You might have not noticed it because it was covered up by excellent use of motion blur. When you turned the camera you can see the slowdown if you look hard enough. ;)

I didn't mean SOTC PS3 "version"... I should have been more clear. I mean SOTC 2 for PS3. Although I admit, I would be scared to death it wouldn't live up to the first one. Honestly, if they NEVER make another one, I could honestly live with that due to the near perfection of the first one though. And yeah... I must have been too immersed to notice the FR issues.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox
I didn't mean SOTC PS3 "version"... I should have been more clear. I mean SOTC 2 for PS3. Although I admit, I would be scared to death it wouldn't live up to the first one. Honestly, if they NEVER make another one, I could honestly live with that due to the near perfection of the first one though. And yeah... I must have been too immersed to notice the FR issues.remaGloohcSdlO

Indeed, I understood you meant SotC 2. But they should never make a second because it would never live up to the first. It would be attacked for being "the same" as the previous title... which would ruin the point of SotC's unique standing. Team ICO's next project has already been debunked as SotC 2, IIRC, it is something completely new and unique. :P
Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

That's my guess.  I played it on a brand new slimline PS2 when it hit 'Greatest hits' status, so if anything my hardware/firmware was more recent than yours.  The framerate is in the low twenties at the best of times, and many many many things can send the game below 10 fps.  I would consider it unplayable except for the fact that it's SotC and gets an automatic pass for being just that awesome. 

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 remaGloohcSdlO
The game itself is fantastic, but the camera pissed me off to no end, it was so awkward cause you start running and your character shifts off to the side due to the camera angle, and if you want to look at the Colossus, the camera starts shifting back behind your character. That was my only beef with the game, overall its brilliant and I really enjoyed it. I have been meaning to write a review on it. 9.1 in my book.DSgamer64
Back when I cared enough to do reviews here a GS, I gave it a 9.0. I had issues with the camera and the controls, both weren't perfect... but this is one of those rare games when smaller issues didn't matter. It was just too awesome. Now that I look back on it, my 9.0 may have even been low, but I'll stand by it since I reviewed it right after playing it.
killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts
SotC, if this game was a piece of artwork it would be a masterpiece.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 remaGloohcSdlO
[QUOTE="remaGloohcSdlO"]I didn't mean SOTC PS3 "version"... I should have been more clear. I mean SOTC 2 for PS3. Although I admit, I would be scared to death it wouldn't live up to the first one. Honestly, if they NEVER make another one, I could honestly live with that due to the near perfection of the first one though. And yeah... I must have been too immersed to notice the FR issues.foxhound_fox

Indeed, I understood you meant SotC 2. But they should never make a second because it would never live up to the first. It would be attacked for being "the same" as the previous title... which would ruin the point of SotC's unique standing. Team ICO's next project has already been debunked as SotC 2, IIRC, it is something completely new and unique. :P

I agree... as I said in my post, I can live with it if they never make part 2... but the way it pushed the PS2 in terms of scale, the thought of part 2 pushing the PS3's limits is too much to even think about. It makes my head want to explode.
MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 MonkaTG
Member since 2006 • 2596 Posts
That game is really amazing...can't say anything bad about it...
MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41 MonkaTG
Member since 2006 • 2596 Posts
That game is really amazing...can't say anything bad about it...
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 remaGloohcSdlO
SotC, if this game was a piece of artwork it would be a masterpiece.killeer2007
SOTC is actually the game I think of the most when I hear people say VG's aren't art. There is no denying that this game is art... even if it is "playable", it's an amazing piece of art. Period. There aren't too many games I would use to fight the whole "art" battle, but this would be my main weapon.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
It's a really great game but it's kinda hard to recommend. If you are up for this type of game you will like it but some ppl might be put off by all the exploring and the ''empty'' world scenario. I personally realy like SOTC.
Arsenal325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Arsenal325
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts
The Game is amazing.. its weird because to me it didnt get repeptitvie..its just an amazing game that any gamer should need to play...dang now i want to go pick it up.
leadernator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 leadernator
Member since 2003 • 9064 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "quality". If you're asking if it has disney level production quality then no. But it is one of the best things ever made for any Sony system.

The graphics are'nt the best on ps2, but who the hell cares about graphics right, movie watchers and casuals? The gameplay is where it's at with this game. All you do is hunt down and kill huge monsters, but that's enough to make it one of the greatest games of all time.

briguyb13

gameplay cannot be seen as quality?

art direction? sound effects? animation? graphics weren't the best, but they were pretty darn good.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Teuf_
It's a really great game but it's kinda hard to recommend. If you are up for this type of game you will like it but some ppl might be put off by all the exploring and the ''empty'' world scenario. I personally realy like SOTC.tegovoltio

Yeah, it's not at all your typical game and I think thats why GS rated it the way they did.  I think I might recommend to it anybody here, but not necessarily to any of my "real world" friends.
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

[QUOTE="DSgamer64"]The game itself is fantastic, but the camera pissed me off to no end, it was so awkward cause you start running and your character shifts off to the side due to the camera angle, and if you want to look at the Colossus, the camera starts shifting back behind your character. That was my only beef with the game, overall its brilliant and I really enjoyed it. I have been meaning to write a review on it. 9.1 in my book.remaGloohcSdlO
Back when I cared enough to do reviews here a GS, I gave it a 9.0. I had issues with the camera and the controls, both weren't perfect... but this is one of those rare games when smaller issues didn't matter. It was just too awesome. Now that I look back on it, my 9.0 may have even been low, but I'll stand by it since I reviewed it right after playing it.

Yeah, I gave Zelda TP a score that I dont think it deserved (9.4), it was fantastic but after completing the whole game, I think I over scored it. I had played about 75% of the game when I did review it, however I just recently play SOTC and I think one thing that I like more about Zelda is that the controls are easier to work with, as is the camera. That being said though, SOTC is a completely new type of adventure game and its story is really epic, much like Twilight Princess had a phenominal story. I try to stand by my reviews but I believe that I scored Zelda too high, SOTC gets a score I think it deserves, its not perfect but its great overall and will go down as a timeless classic.

nevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 nevi
Member since 2005 • 860 Posts
arrgh, i need to play all these ps2 games. but my question is that if on a ps2 or ps3??
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Teuf_

arrgh, i need to play all these ps2 games. but my question is that if on a ps2 or ps3??nevi

Well if you're not going to take the plunge on a PS3, there's really no reason not to get a PS2 and go crazy.  The system and games are just so cheap at this point, and they're still all reasonably easy to find (although games like ICO are starting to become somewhat rare). 

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 remaGloohcSdlO
arrgh, i need to play all these ps2 games. but my question is that if on a ps2 or ps3??nevi
That one I can't answer for you... the only PS2 game I've played on my PS3 is GOW2, and it looks great. Not sure about SOTC on it though... so someone else will have to chime in here.