How does gran turismo 5 have worse graphics than forza 3?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

now before you say damage control or something first I'd like to say I don't even own either game and they're a bit too sim like for my tastes.

And i'll say that forza 3 is the better game.

However, I do belive GT 5 is the better looking game. First of all gran turismo 5 runs at 1280x1080, while forza 3 only runs at 720p. Forza 3 can only have 8 cars on track, while gran turismo 5 has 16. And yes I realize the graphics are inconsistent on gran turismo 5, but if all 16 of those cars on the track are premium models than the cars look slightly better than forza 3's models.

But then let's look at the performance, and Forza 3 wins this one. According to lens of truth, the average framerate of GT 5 is 52.69 fps, while forza 3 has an average of 55.34. But forza 3 has virtually no screen tearing, while more than 1/5 of gt's frames are teared.

With all that in mind which do you think looks better? I guess It just depends on if you want consistency and better performance over twice the cars on track and twice the resolution.

Again, Forza 3 is the better game and I have no interest in either. It's just an observation I made :)

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

80% of the vehicles in the game do.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
The difference is that, say if you were to award marks out of 10 for graphics, Gran Turismo 5 would score a 9.5/10 a quarter of the time and 5/10 three quarters of the time, whilst Forza 3 would always score an 8.5/10. Explained?
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
If you have 16 premium cars on a pretty track, GT5 is probably better. But the games graphics seem so inconsistant, its hard to call it better overall.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

GT5 probably would win if it wasnt for incosistinces, which I personally hate in a game lol. Doesnt matter to me, I don't own either :P. Test Drive Unlimited 2, Dirt 3, NFSShift Unleashed, here I come! ;)

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 theuncharted34

GT5 probably would win if it wasnt for incosistinces, which I personally hate in a game lol. Doesnt matter to me, I don't own either :P. Test Drive Unlimited 2, Dirt 3, NFSShift Unleashed, here I come! ;)

NaveedLife

I'll stick to mario kart :P

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
GT5 has the potential to look better, but Forza 3 is more consistent.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
GT5 has absolutely superb premium car models. But then it has some dodgy environments, and some flat-out bad environments. Then it has the standard cars, some of which look fine, some of which look pretty bad and some of which look absolutely downright awful. Forza's cars dont look as good as GT5's premium ones, but they still look great. And what's more, they ALL look great. There are no inconsistencies. I think Forza has better environments than GT5 as well with less copy and pasting. It's a toss up really between a game which looks consistently great and a game which looks superb in some places and terrible in others.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

inconsistency is the key word when it comes to its graphics.

Some tracks look like rezd up rips from GT4,some cars are barely PS2 standard,theres a few tracks where copy paste techniques really really bring down the game.

New tracks look good and a few others,same goes for the 200 premium models...The rest just looks like it was thrown in as a sorry we kept you waiting.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

Please system wars... STOP THE INSANITY!!!! GT5 fans, im sorry but you lost... its just a fact of life, GT5 is flip flip floppy, flippy to the floppy and there is nothing that can be done about it. enjoy your game and relax. almost every major review outlet likened a large majority of the cars in GT5 to that of PS2 ports. that is fact and that is sad. The game can not nor will it ever be mentioned in the same breath as Forza3 when it comes to overall quality. now please stop. I almost wish the sticky was back.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theuncharted34

Please system wars... STOP THE INSANITY!!!! GT5 fans, im sorry but you lost... its just a fact of life, GT5 is flip flip floppy, flippy to the floppy and there is nothing that can be done about it. enjoy your game and relax. almost every major review outlet likened a large majority of the cars in GT5 to that of PS2 ports. that is fact and that is sad. The game can not nor will it ever be mentioned in the same breath as Forza3 when it comes to overall quality. now please stop. I almost wish the sticky was back.

TheEroica

i'm guessing you didn't read the beggining and end of the op.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

theuncharted34

I read it and while i believe you and I see that you are a PS3 owner, I just cant stand for the constant flooding of this forum for broken issues that just cannot be argued. Im sorry. even though I believe you that your not out for damage control, the very creation of this thread is another log on a fire that needs to be put out. its making ps3 fans seem very whiny about this issue. No matter which way you slice it, dice and chop it in to pieces, the mass media and gamespot have chosen Forza 3 by a landslide in most every aspect over GT5 in terms of quality game. so wether we want to discuss gameplay, paint shops, customizing, graphics, damage, tuning...etc... Forza is sthe champ as the overall experience, bar none, period. Lets all make a deal to let this issue die... or i'll start making threads about how i believe Haze is better than Halo... ;-) obviously kidding. but c'mon all lets relax and let this die.... PLEASE!
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

TheEroica

I read it and while i believe you and I see that you are a PS3 owner, I just cant stand for the constant flooding of this forum for broken issues that just cannot be argued. Im sorry. even though I believe you that your not out for damage control, the very creation of this thread is another log on a fire that needs to be put out. its making ps3 fans seem very whiny about this issue. No matter which way you slice it, dice and chop it in to pieces, the mass media and gamespot have chosen Forza 3 by a landslide in most every aspect over GT5 in terms of quality game. so wether we want to discuss gameplay, paint shops, customizing, graphics, damage, tuning...etc... Forza is sthe champ as the overall experience, bar none, period. Lets all make a deal to let this issue die... or i'll start making threads about how i believe Haze is better than Halo... ;-) obviously kidding. but c'mon all lets relax and let this die.... PLEASE!

fair enough. Please don't make haze vs. halo threads :P

SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 SupraGT
Member since 2003 • 8150 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

GT5 failed to score better because there was a lot of hype surrounding it and it took a long time to develop. Technically it's a better simulator than forza and a better game, but too inconsistent. Constant updates are in the work.

V_Zarnold_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 V_Zarnold_N
Member since 2006 • 1272 Posts

Sorry to nitpick but dont you mean 1920 x 1080? Also I found that Forza 3 was very flexible towards being arcade like and simulation. At the end of the day I think that GT5 fell short because it was in development for 6 years and it wasnt perfect. Both games have their ups and downs but overall I'll say Forza is the better game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

haha... i promise.
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts
How does gran turismo 5 have worse graphics than forza 3? Because this is the internet, and fanboys say so.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] I read it and while i believe you and I see that you are a PS3 owner, I just cant stand for the constant flooding of this forum for broken issues that just cannot be argued. Im sorry. even though I believe you that your not out for damage control, the very creation of this thread is another log on a fire that needs to be put out. its making ps3 fans seem very whiny about this issue. No matter which way you slice it, dice and chop it in to pieces, the mass media and gamespot have chosen Forza 3 by a landslide in most every aspect over GT5 in terms of quality game. so wether we want to discuss gameplay, paint shops, customizing, graphics, damage, tuning...etc... Forza is sthe champ as the overall experience, bar none, period. Lets all make a deal to let this issue die... or i'll start making threads about how i believe Haze is better than Halo... ;-) obviously kidding. but c'mon all lets relax and let this die.... PLEASE!SupraGT

GT5 failed to score better because there was a lot of hype surrounding it and it took a long time to develop. Technically it's a better simulator than forza and a better game, but too inconsistent. Constant updates are in the work.

holy lord, you dont really believe that every media outlet scored it lower because of hype and development time do you? if thats how the media reviews games and not based on the disk sitting in their console tray then I have to get out of this hobby after 25 plus years, I have to hang it up.
SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 SupraGT
Member since 2003 • 8150 Posts

[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

TheEroica

holy lord, you dont really believe that every media outlet scored it lower because of hype and development time do you? if thats how the media reviews games and not based on the disk sitting in their console tray then I have to get out of this hobby after 25 plus years, I have to hang it up.

You should give up your hobby then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkavE6EyU_4

A more fair and balanced review. They didn't jump to any conclusions yet since they said they can't review a massive game in a couple of days.

the review starts at 32:00 if you are interested.

V_Zarnold_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 V_Zarnold_N
Member since 2006 • 1272 Posts

SupraGT

Sooo... Constant updates applied to a game that took 5+ years to develop should fix the problems that should have been worked out during its 5+ years of development time? First you said that GT5 is technically a better simulator and a better game than Forza but its too inconsistent. You're opinion of it being a better simulator and game is fine and good but what is your opinion of Forza if a game that is still undergoing changes to fix it, a 5+ development cycle, and is too inconsistent is better than it? GT 5 failed to score better because of how the game was when it was shipped not because of hype or even its development time, although with more than 5 years it probably should have gotten at least a 9 here at GS.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 waltefmoney

A more fair and balanced review. They didn't jump to any conclusions yet since they said they can't review a massive game in a couple of days.

SupraGT

Weird, I've watched that and I haven't heard a single mention of the game being better than Forza.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

I havent played GT5 yet but going by vids Forza3 looks better overall. Some car models on GT5 look a bit better.

YoYo278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YoYo278
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts

[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

TheEroica

What about Kane and Lynch, Sonic? Gamespot has consistantly given those fantastic series bad reviews, and c'mon the only reason for that is that they weren't hyped, it's the same reason SMG 2 isn't GOTY.

So yes, you probably should get out of the industry or atleast re-evaluate it.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 waltefmoney

What about Kane and Lynch, Sonic? Gamespot has consistantly given those fantastic series bad reviews, and c'mon the only reason for that is that they weren't hyped, it's the same reason SMG 2 isn't GOTY.

YoYo278

Wait, what?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 razgriz_101

I havent played GT5 yet but going by vids Forza3 looks better overall. Some car models on GT5 look a bit better.

PAL360

the premiums look better, couple standard models are debateable.But the rest nah :P coming from me who's pumped most of the past 2 days into forza 3, and bout 2-3weeks into GT5 :P

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
80% of GT5s cars look much worse than forza 3 cars. Also Many of GT5 tracks look very average. Just an observation.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

razgriz_101

the premiums look better, couple standard models are debateable.But the rest nah :P coming from me who's pumped most of the past 2 days into forza 3, and bout 2-3weeks into GT5 :P

Humm, i believe you are exagerating! Forza3 cars look fantastic and easly the secong best this gen. Standard cars on GT5 are last gen models.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

GT5 has the potential to look better, but Forza 3 is more consistent.Skittles_McGee

This, exactly.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] I read it and while i believe you and I see that you are a PS3 owner, I just cant stand for the constant flooding of this forum for broken issues that just cannot be argued. Im sorry. even though I believe you that your not out for damage control, the very creation of this thread is another log on a fire that needs to be put out. its making ps3 fans seem very whiny about this issue. No matter which way you slice it, dice and chop it in to pieces, the mass media and gamespot have chosen Forza 3 by a landslide in most every aspect over GT5 in terms of quality game. so wether we want to discuss gameplay, paint shops, customizing, graphics, damage, tuning...etc... Forza is sthe champ as the overall experience, bar none, period. Lets all make a deal to let this issue die... or i'll start making threads about how i believe Haze is better than Halo... ;-) obviously kidding. but c'mon all lets relax and let this die.... PLEASE!SupraGT

GT5 is not a better game than Forza 3. It's not even close. There are so many things that Forza 3 does better than GT5 from a design perspective it isn't even funny. In fact it's quite sad.

That said, I am really enjoying my time with GT5 but as people have already said, it's an inconsistent piece of work with some really bad game design choices.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

heretrix

GT5 is not a better game than Forza 3. It's not even close. There are so many things that Forza 3 does better than GT5 from a design perspective it isn't even funny. In fact it's quite sad.

Like what? Unless GT5 doesnt allow you to race/tune the cars, and play them on different modes/tracks, then there isnt anything "sad" about it.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

if you think being graphically inconsistent is the only problem with GT5, you clearly haven't even played it....any of it :?. Wait, you gave Burnout 3 Takedown a 4.3 and GT4 a 9.9, i have an overwhelming feeling i've wasted my time.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

gaming25

Like what? Unless GT5 doesnt allow you to race/tune the cars, and play them on different modes/tracks, then there isnt anything "sad" about it.

the sad thing is GT fans on every gaming forum are pretending all the games many flaws are insignificant and still declaring it to be better than Forza 3, PD don't deserve or need such praise, they need to realise the game is terrible in some regards and actually fix those aspects for the next game...and no i don't mean just adding more premium cars.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="SupraGT"]

YoYo278

SMG2 is going to win editors choice game of the year and Sonic just got sonic colors which reviewed good on gamespot. Seriously I think all the GT5 threads need to stop because it will make all the haters to come to tthe threads and bash the game when we already know how many problems this game has already. The game got an 8.0 and that's final.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
GT5 has 200 cars which look better, the rest of the game is inferior to Forza 3, especially the environments from what I have seen, and the 800 standard cars are horrible.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

YoYo278

What about Kane and Lynch, Sonic?

What about them? They suck.

Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

TheEroica

Right on Brother... Oh by the way Lair is better than Too Human.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I don't see why people complain about the menus and such.. Sure, there's a couple little quirks (i.e getting the "tickets" to get your prize cars that makes you click 3 or 4 times before getting the car, well yeah that's pretty much just pointless). But even that menu inefficiency doesn't really "bother" me and I probably never would have even thought about it but for certain reviews and people that have mentioned it as one of their major gripes with the game. I mean who really cares about menus? As far as the actual LOOK of the menus and the way they are layed out, looks pretty slick to me and modern on my HD screen. I actually like the conservative presentation, compared to the in your face presentation and narration of games like NFS: Shift and Dirt 2 (as much as I liked Dirt 2, I wish they'd get rid of that Mountain Dew/X-Games theme for Dirt 3...).

I'm sure I"m not alone in wishing that all cars were premium. But maybe some of that will be "fixed" a bit in time as more cars are made available.All I know is when driving a premium car, on one of the best tracks, certainly those high moments are about as good as it can be on a console trying to eek out as close to 1080P as it can for a racing game with such detailed car models. I don't think anything in Forza 3 can touch driving that AMG series at 1080P, especially not on the wet/rainy Nuremberg track.

On the downside, I do see occasional screen tearing and pop-ins. It's sorta like the premium car/standard car thing. Most of the time it all looks fantastic. Some tracks have a little screen tearing, some have NONE. On most tracks Pop-in is not an issue, but it was a MAJOR issue in the generic rally races where sometimes entire trees or even mountains would appear... then disappear... then appear in the distance again. It's a shame because those rally environments were some of the most awe inspiring visuals in the game if they could have made it run smoothly with the dynamic weather and lighting. But I think that was just a case of it just being too much for a current gen console to handle all of the environmental details and AMAZING lighting effects of the rally environments without some crazy optimization of the code. Even the worst moments of pop-in doesn't make the graphics a 5/10 though (IMO). The game is a 9/10 for graphics. Sometimes it's a 10/10, often times there's little technical flaws that pull it down a little, but it still looks great overall (yeah, even with the standard cars).

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

PAL360

Humm, i believe you are exagerating! Forza3 cars look fantastic and easly the secong best this gen. Standard cars on GT5 are last gen models.

Im not :P theres a few inconsistancies on the interior of the Focus ST and RS (i've been in both) and the ST in GT5 is more akin to the real one :P but im not exaggerating.

Theres a few standard models that are particularly good the furai springs to mind its around Forza 2 quality and is a standard,aswell as the veyron.Then as i have said bot 10 x today theres a lot that are just pure PS2 rips.

Mind you the Veyron and Furai make an appearance in GT PSP only released around a year ago so there must be some overlap somewhere between the models GT5 and PSP developement unlike a lot of others.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

Trick questions.

GT5 looks better at times, and then not better at others. I wouldn't say one definitely looks better than the other, overall.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="YoYo278"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] holy lord, you dont really believe that every media outlet scored it lower because of hype and development time do you? if thats how the media reviews games and not based on the disk sitting in their console tray then I have to get out of this hobby after 25 plus years, I have to hang it up.Verge_6

What about Kane and Lynch, Sonic?

What about them? They suck.

sonic colors is pretty good.

Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

YoYo278

Why would someone give a good review to either Kane and Lynch or most Sonic 3d platformers exactly?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 heretrix

[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

waltefmoney

Weird, I've watched that and I haven't heard a single mention of the game being better than Forza.

The funniest thing about that review is that all throughout the show they've were irritated many of the same issues brought up in this and other places. It's an excellent beginning and I look forward to seeing what they say in the rest of the review whenever it comes up.

I kind of take issue with the whole "well you didn't play the whole thing" nonsense.

A. It's a racing game. Beyond the selection of cars, tracks and the way the game looks, everything that you need should pretty much be available to you at the beginning of the game.

B. In Simracing is a show all about racing. It;s all they cover so it really isn't fair to compare how they would do a review to a site that does dozen's more. They would never be able to review all of their games within a reasonable time: See: how people reacted to how long GT5's review took here at Gamespot.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

gaming25

It's sad that a game that took 5+ years to complete seems less finished than a game that took 2 years to make and came out more than a year before it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix

Trick questions.

GT5 looks better at times, and then not better at others. I wouldn't say one definitely looks better than the other, overall.

UCF_Knight

Sure you could if one game was more consistent overall than the other.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
As a PC gamer and graphics whore its gt5 without a doubt, no matter how good the upscaling is its not as good as gt5's native resolution of 1080p
steve8198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 steve8198
Member since 2003 • 531 Posts

To be honest forza 3 is a little to easy.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 waltefmoney

steve8198

Wait a minute, a few hours ago you couldn't even get the name right, now you've played it?

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

steve8198
Try turning off all the assists and bumping the AI up to hard. That is, if you've actually played it at all.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

GT5 even flops in overall graphics, LOL.