how do you define milking game franchise?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

r12qi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 r12qi
Member since 2010 • 1018 Posts

i always wondering people saying certain game is been "milked"

but what do you mean by "milked"

is it:

-releasing game every year

-releasing game with small change

-releasing half-complete game with DLC to complete it

-keep releasing game remake

also Which series do you think been milk heavily?

and Do you like been milked?

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

^ All of the above; but mostly its the first two. Heavily milked: CoD and Pokemon; and there isn't a series that I like that has been milked to the extreme.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

It's generally due to a number of reasons, and you touched on a few. Personally, I don't care if a franchise is milked, so long as I enjoy the individual games.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

Yearly updates with no innovations or improvements. Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, COD, Mario Party, Ratchet and Clank.

Some games like Halo, Killzone, Twisted Metal get lots of updates also but at least they try diffeent things with the franchise. So I would not consider these milked. Over done maybe for the money, but not milked.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#5 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
lots of releases with not much change between them as some always mention call of Duty is a good example, also activision milked dry both Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, MArio Party went through some heavy milkage last generation
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
There is no such thing. Giving people what they want can't be considered milking them.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Guitar Hero and COD.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

hmm, a yearly release, stuff like guitar hero

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

^ All of the above; but mostly its the first two. Heavily milked: CoD and Pokemon; and there isn't a series that I like that has been milked to the extreme.

Calvin079

I don't think pokemon is milked...since it usually takes around 4 years in between each main game in the series.To me a milked franchise wouldn be a game that is released every year,is a main game in the series,and has fairly any changes.

For example COD is 100% percent milked you can't deny that, and Final Fantasy since now Square just makes rpg's and slaps the name final fantasy on it, they kind of ruined it...final fantasy isn't really special anymore like it was in the 90's when it hit its peak with FF6 and 7 9 was really good too, but then after 10 they started milking.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Calvin079

I don't think pokemon is milked...since it usually takes around 4 years in between each main game in the series.To me a milked franchise would be a game that is released every year,is a main game in the series,and has bairly any changes.

For example COD is 100% percent milked you can't deny that, and Final Fantasy since now Square just makes rpg's and slaps the name final fantasy on it, they kind of ruined it...final fantasy isn't really special anymore like it was in the 90's when it hit its peak with FF6 and 7 9 was really good too, but then after 10 they started milking.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I would say yearly releases without too much change.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Vickman178

I don't think pokemon is milked...since it usually takes around 4 years in between each main game in the series.To me a milked franchise wouldn be a game that is released every year,is a main game in the series,and has fairly any changes.

Pokemon is milked though. Pokemon Platinum (2009)Gold/Silver (2010) and Black & White (2011). That's just the main games. Now put in all the spin-offs (Mystery Dungeon, Ranger)

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Calvin079

Pokemon is milked though. Pokemon Platinum (2009)Gold/Silver (2010) and Black & White (2011). That's just the main games. Now put in all the spin-offs (Mystery Dungeon, Ranger)

yeah i agree with that statement, pokemon is a milked franchise. It doesn't mean its a bad thing

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Calvin079

^ Well, when nothing changes except the graphics and creatures, then it is a bad thing.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Oversaturating the market with Spin Off titles, aka Guitar Hero.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
see madden and call of duty
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

^ Well, when nothing changes except the graphics and creatures, then it is a bad thing.

Calvin079

I dont know...

I read a list somewhere explaining the changes from each gen to the next, and according to that list, there were a fair ammount of changes. Usually 20-30 changes between each generation. Mostly in the ruleset. Problem is, most of these changes are subtle and unless you go deep into the mechanics, you probably wont notice them.

Some major changes include: Breeding, genders, stat recalculations, traits and personalities, physical/special revamp and ofc online. The structure is the same since Red/Blue, but outside of the structure, there are plenty of differences between each gen.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Maroxad

I dont know...

I read a list somewhere, and according tothat list, there were a fair amount of changes. Usually 20-30 changes between each generation. Mostly in the ruleset. Problem is, most of these changes are subtle and unless you go deep into the mechanics, you probably wont notice them.

But nothing changes from what matters, the gameplay. Sure there might be little chnages like offensive moves being divided between special and physical, but it doens't change anything to the game itself. So my point still stands that nothing changes except graphics and creatures.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Calvin079

I dont know...

I read a list somewhere, and according tothat list, there were a fair amount of changes. Usually 20-30 changes between each generation. Mostly in the ruleset. Problem is, most of these changes are subtle and unless you go deep into the mechanics, you probably wont notice them.

But nothing changes from what matters, the gameplay. Sure there might be little chnages like offensive moves being divided between special and physical, but it doens't change anything to the game itself. So my point still stands that nothing changes except graphics and creatures.

The Metagame has changed quite a bit over the years. Playing high level pokemon is a lot different from gen 3 to gen 5. The biggest jump in metagame was from gen 2 to gen 3.

The structure remains the same, but the actual gameplay has changed quite a bit.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

If we're going by the negative and extreme definition of "milk," then any game with a number or new subtitle in front of it is milked. You need to understand that milking does not automatically mean bad. If you have ever purchased a game from a franchises' series of games, you support the idea of milking.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

I dont know...

Maroxad

The Metagame has changed quite a bit over the years. Playing high level pokemon is a lot different from gen 3 to gen 5. The biggest jump in metagame was from gen 2 to gen 3.

The structure remains the same, but the actual gameplay has changed quite a bit.

How so? Start out on journey, take pokemon, raise them to beat other pokemon, collect 8 badges, beat "evil" team, beat E4, become champ.

If one type comes up use X type against it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#22 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Basically what TC posted.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#23 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Releasing games in the same series very regularly.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"] But nothing changes from what matters, the gameplay. Sure there might be little chnages like offensive moves being divided between special and physical, but it doens't change anything to the game itself. So my point still stands that nothing changes except graphics and creatures.

Calvin079

How so? Start out on journey, take pokemon, raise them to beat other pokemon, collect 8 badges, beat "evil" team, beat E4, become champ.

What you are talking about is the structure. Which has remained the same throughout the entire series.

The gameplay, which includes combat, breeding, raising, exploration, ect. That has changed over the years. The tactic you described works against the computer, but against players, that is suicide.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, pokemon is milked. But it is not milked because of the main titles. It is the spin-offs that result in the series being milked.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Calvin079

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

What you are talking about is the structure. Which has remained the same throughout the entire series.

The gameplay, which includes combat, breeding, raising, exploration, ect. That has changed over the years. The tactic you described works against the computer, but against players, that is suicide.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, pokemon is milked. But it is not milked because of the main titles. It is the spin-offs that result in the series being milked.

Its both that are milked. Both the main games and spinoffs.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vashkey

Maroxad

I'd argue it's also because they make one game then split up a hand full of Pokemon available to two different versions and sell it as two games. And then a year or two later rerelease the game with some barely note worthy changes. And as of late have been just straight up remaking their games in between...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]Edit: Dont get me wrong, pokemon is milked. But it is not milked because of the main titles. It is the spin-offs that result in the series being milked.

vashkey

I'd argue it's also because they make one game then split up a hand full of Pokemon available to two different versions and sell it as two games. And then a year or two later rerelease the game with some barely note worthy changes. And as of late have been just straight up remaking their games in between...

I am always under the assumption that the reason for the 2 versions is to encourage trade between players. Get one, have your friends get the other version. The third version could be argued to be milking however. But I always ignored the third edition.

Now. The true definition of a mliked franchise would be The Sims and the Everquest games, especially the first. And even those two pale compared to this http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/?snr=1_4_4__13

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vashkey

[QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]Edit: Dont get me wrong, pokemon is milked. But it is not milked because of the main titles. It is the spin-offs that result in the series being milked.

Maroxad

I am always under the assumption that the reason for the 2 versions is to encourage trade between players. Get one, have your friends get the other version. The third version could be argued to be milking however. But I always ignored the third edition.

Now. The true definition of a mliked franchise would be The Sims and the Everquest games, especially the first. And even those two pale compared to this http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/?snr=1_4_4__13

I kinda doubt the Sims and Everquest have released a new game almost every year since their existence, like Pokemon.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

Yearly updates with no innovations or improvements. Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, COD, Mario Party, Ratchet and Clank.

Some games like Halo, Killzone, Twisted Metal get lots of updates also but at least they try diffeent things with the franchise. So I would not consider these milked. Over done maybe for the money, but not milked.

WarTornRuston

Tony hawk has made plenty of changes over the years even small ones, can make a big difference like flatland tricks,hip transfers,being able to get off your board. I tried to play the previous tony hawk undergound 2 on psp which I have project 8 now and could tell the difference right away. 8 controls so much better

r12qi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 r12qi
Member since 2010 • 1018 Posts

Basically what TC posted.

Demonjoe93

you mean all of them. that will be crazy milking!!

anyway IMO i dont think realeasing game every year is not milking IF they add many new thing hence why i dont think AC is not be included.

pokemon is borderline example. it each generation they add resonable new thing BUt they keep reralesing pokemon spin off and Remake

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="vashkey"]

vashkey

I kinda doubt the Sims and Everquest have released a new game almost every year since their existence, like Pokemon.

True milking in my definition means to try to make as much money of the consumer base as possible. Usually forcing the player to buy them in order to have the full experience. A lot of sequels does not make a game more milked, on the condition that the player isnt really forced to buy them.

The Expansion pack milkage from Sims 3 (2 per year, along with 100s of dollars worth of DLC) and EverQuest (1-2 expansion packs per year), if you dont buy the latest expansion pack you will never be competitive, you are expected to pay for these along with the monthly fee.

nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

LOL, if we go by what he said, then any game or genre is milked. Gears of War---shoot, hide, shoot again. Nothing change. lol