How did SMG win goty? i really dont understand

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

i got smg on friday. im liking it a lot so far. (i just got into the kitchen area. it took me awhile because ive gotten all possible stars i could thus far)

im liking it, but its not anything truly amazing (outside of the music. the music is perfect imo). so unless the game magically starts owning, which i guess it still can for me, it doesnt seem to justify getting goty.

its certainly one of the better games of 07. but 07 had A LOT of amazing titles. smg is great, but its certainly not as good as, say, bioshock or cod4

but then again, i havent finished it yet. so it could suddenly make me change my mind about it

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Get 120 stars. You'll see why.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

i got smg on friday. im liking it a lot so far. (i just got into the kitchen area. it took me awhile because ive gotten all possible stars i could thus far)

im liking it, but its not anything truly amazing (outside of the music. the music is perfect imo). so unless the game magically starts owning, which i guess it still can for me, it doesnt seem to justify getting goty.

its certainly one of the better games of 07. but 07 had A LOT of amazing titles. smg is great, but its certainly not as good as, say, bioshock or cod4

but then again, i havent finished it yet. so it could suddenly make me change my mind about it

REforever101

You couldn't pick any other non shooters for GOTY? :roll:

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts
the first 60 stars are not what make Super Mario Galaxy amazing.
Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts

it gets better and better every minute. you'll see ;)

i've finished cod4 and a played a little bit of bioshock too, but they don't come close to SMG imo.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34724 Posts
I've played Galaxy, Crysis, Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, BioShock, among other awesome games. While I love all the games mentioned, to vote for Galaxy as GotY was pretty much a no-brainer for me.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
imo the last 20 stars are where the money is. The last 3 stars (on the way to 120), are absolute torture. Like, really hard
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 REforever101
the first 60 stars are not what make Super Mario Galaxy amazing. kansasdude2009
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

majadamus

You couldn't pick any other non shooters for GOTY? :roll:

those were just two random examples

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Agreed it is the rest of the game, my favorite Galaxy is defenately FreezeFlame Galaxy, Toy Time is also fun and Frustrating.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
its got goty cus it was somthing never done befor. while all the other games out like bio shock has been done befor (system shock 2 = bio shock) plus that game did everything well and there was nothing major wrong with it . while alot of games have bad frame rates non hd res on a hd system buggy gamers and nothing new.
dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
I felt the same, but SMG gets a lot better right where you are. I'm still not sure if it should get GOTY, but it is really, really good.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34724 Posts

[QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]the first 60 stars are not what make Super Mario Galaxy amazing. Nintendo_Ownes7
Agreed it is the rest of the game, my favorite Galaxy is defenately FreezeFlame Galaxy, Toy Time is also fun and Frustrating.

There should have been more ice skating in Galaxy..

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 REforever101

I felt the same, but SMG gets a lot better right where you are. I'm still not sure if it should get GOTY, but it is really, really good.dewmandew7

i heard the kitchen area galaxies were better, i just havent had the chance to play them yet

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts

its got goty cus it was somthing never done befor. while all the other games out like bio shock has been done befor (system shock 2 = bio shock) plus that game did everything well and there was nothing major wrong with it . while alot of games have bad frame rates non hd res on a hd system buggy gamers and nothing new.deadmeat59

On a completely unrelated note....

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!! THE PACKERS JUST LOST!!!!!!

/sorrow and suffering

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

I thought it was GOTY ten minustes after starting it. It was amazing

club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
I think that it's a tie between SMG and BioShock.
DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
I don't either, but I own it and like it. So it's fine by me.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
Yeah man I with ya, I was like that as well but when you start nearing the end 60-70 you will see what is so great about the game, also the level you have to go through to fight bowser at the end is Platforming at it's best, mainly the last section before bowser, it's just wonderful. But yeah Galaxy picks up near the end and for some reason after betting it I had an erge to do it again, so I did and it actually was more fun than the first time LOL.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

the molty melty galaxy (or whatever it's called) is byfar the most polished galaxy... so amazing!

Actually... all galaxies are pretty polished... but still. =D

insanekoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 insanekoz
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

Trust me, the game doesn't get much better.

I honestly don;t see why it got game of the year either.

The game does get more interesting toward the end, but the majority of the game is way too easy.

The last few levels are a bit harder later on, but nowhere near impossible.

It's still fun, though not as fun as Super Mario 64 in my opinion.

Half-Life 2

Call of Duty 4

Bioshock

All three of these are on par with SMG's quality.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 REforever101

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]its got goty cus it was somthing never done befor. while all the other games out like bio shock has been done befor (system shock 2 = bio shock) plus that game did everything well and there was nothing major wrong with it . while alot of games have bad frame rates non hd res on a hd system buggy gamers and nothing new.dewmandew7

On a completely unrelated note....

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!! THE PACKERS JUST LOST!!!!!!

/sorrow and suffering

:(

damn, my uncle is gonna be pissed

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I think that it's a tie between SMG and BioShock.club-sandwich
IMO it was a close race between SMG and Orange Box, with Bioshock in 3rd Place.
Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts

Finish the game.

Then think of everything you did. Every little thing... think of all the environments you were in, and think of all the fun you had, while playing a game with the best graphics on the system it is on and by far the best music.

I keep saying this - it's the perfection of a genre. Miyamoto was smart and thought of a place where there are very little restrictions - space - and tons of ideas that have never been implemented in a game, such as the awesome gravity system and how well it works.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ---OkeyDokey---

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]the first 60 stars are not what make Super Mario Galaxy amazing. Litchie

There should have been more ice skating in Galaxy..

that ice skating was truly awesome. i spent almost ten minutes just skating around that ring of ice doing jumps and being stupid.

one of the little things that really made the game :)

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Preference. Not everyone views the same thing in the same way.
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ---OkeyDokey---

the molty melty galaxy (or whatever it's called) is byfar the most polished galaxy... so amazing!

kansasdude2009

shooting into that volcano and then shooting right back out just as it erupted = one of the best moments in gaming.

ahhh, so many good memories.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Your opinion =/= fact, that's why.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts

It pretty much single handedly revives the Platforming genre. Most big budget games these days are either shooters or action games.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 REforever101

Finish the game.

Then think of everything you did. Every little thing... think of all the environments you were in, and think of all the fun you had, while playing a game with the best graphics on the system it is on and by far the best music.

I keep saying this - it's the perfection of a genre. Miyamoto was smart and thought of a place where there are very little restrictions - space - and tons of ideas that have never been implemented in a game, such as the awesome gravity system and how well it works.

Homesrfan

one thing im NOT liking about it so far is the pathetic PATHETIC boss fights. why do they all have to be so wimpy...and easy

that giant first robot boss thing should have been hard. it was easy as hell

god i HATE easy games. i think id prefer it if mario went back to only giving you one hit point (unless you get a mushroom). just like the originals. then it would be a lot harder, and fun, imo

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
The only other game that deserved GOTY this year were Half-Life 2 and Resident Evil 4, and those are three-year-old games.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

the_h_bomb
lmfao
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_h_bomb
[QUOTE="the_h_bomb"]

JPOBS

lmfao

ROFL

Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts
[QUOTE="Homesrfan"]

Finish the game.

REforever101

one thing im NOT liking about it so far is the pathetic PATHETIC boss fights. why do they all have to be so wimpy...and easy

god i HATE easy games. i think id prefer it if mario went back to only giving you one hit point (unless you get a mushroom). just like the originals. then it would be a lot harder, and fun, imo

I'll agree with you on this. While I thought many of the boss fights were cool - they were way too easy. I'm sick of Nintendo's 3 hit and the boss is dead rule. They do it in almost every game including Metroid Prime, which really pisses me off.

Mario Galaxy is mainly easy but it does get harder...

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"][QUOTE="Homesrfan"]

Finish the game.

Homesrfan

I'll agree with you on this. While I thought many of the boss fights were cool - they were way too easy. I'm sick of Nintendo's 3 hit and the boss is dead rule. They do it in almost every game including Metroid Prime, which really pisses me off.

Mario Galaxy is mainly easy but it does get harder...

doesnt it only get harder towards the end? thats great..but by then the game is basically over

mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
lol CoD4.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
[QUOTE="Homesrfan"]

Finish the game.

REforever101

Thats kinda how i am with playing halo 2 now.

im playing or normal difficulty cuz i just want to finish it and move to halo 3, but the prophet of reget died in 3 punches, and the first boss (dotn remeber his name) died so fast after 2 energy beam swipes i thought my game glitched.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

doesnt it only get harder towards the end? thats great..but by then the game is basically over

REforever101

You want a hard game, get Ninja Gaiden, or play SMG with restrictions on yourself. Most modern games are made easy to appeal to more people. You can add challenges on your own if you find it too easy.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26113 Posts

The reason it got GOTY, is not because it's awesome at one point.

It got GOTY because it's awesome at ALL points.

The WHOLE game has the same level of awesome all thru it and it never dies down. Not even to the 242 stars.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_h_bomb

IMO it was a close race between SMG and Orange Box, with Bioshock in 3rd Place.Nintendo_Ownes7

I think the orange box was a far superior package but no single game in it was eligible gor GOTY apart from Half Life 2. and everyone's already played that

Bioshock was just a simplified system shock 2 remake for easily impressed 14 year old lemmings

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

SpruceCaboose

You want a hard game, get Ninja Gaiden, or play SMG with restrictions on yourself. Most modern games are made easy to appeal to more people. You can add challenges on your own if you find it too easy.

i keep forgetting to pick up ninja gaiden. i was going to buy it when i went to get smg, but i forgot to check the preowned games

i KNEW i forgot to do something on friday. thanks for reminding me what it was

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
What he said.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Willy105
[QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]

---OkeyDokey---

shooting into that volcano and then shooting right back out just as it erupted = one of the best moments in gaming.

ahhh, so many good memories.

Memories?

The game has been out for two months.

Wait ten years.

KeeperofDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KeeperofDingo
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

It just did, accept it, don't argue and continue believing whatever you want to believe.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 REforever101

It just did, stop your **** and accept it.KeeperofDingo

uh...relax...dude

i do accept it. i just want to know the reasoning

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Willy105
[QUOTE="Homesrfan"]

Finish the game.

REforever101

It's not the boss fights are hard, it's getting to them.

In this game and Twilight Princess, the boss fights were rewards, not challenges.

And the boss fights for both those games were the best I have ever played, even if I only died like once or twice in a battle.

KeeperofDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KeeperofDingo
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

[QUOTE="KeeperofDingo"]It just did, stop your **** and accept it.REforever101

uh...relax...dude

Sorry, changed it to be a bit less "angry" but still messed up. Just ignore me.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Willy105

[QUOTE="KeeperofDingo"]It just did, stop your **** and accept it.REforever101

uh...relax...dude

Here.

That's the reason.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"][QUOTE="Homesrfan"]

Finish the game.

Willy105

It's not the boss fights are hard, it's getting to them.

In this game and Twilight Princess, the boss fights were rewards, not challenges.

And the boss fights for both those games were the best I have ever played, even if I only died like once or twice in a battle.

nah man, you want AMAZING boss fights, play re4

they're both rewarding and challenging (kind of. i didnt think re4 was hard, but others did. i beat it knife only. accept parts where ure forced to use guns)

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 REforever101

lol CoD4.mis3ry

whats "lol" about cod4?