How did Microsoft manage to do it???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 septicvirus
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts

How did Microsoft manage to release the 360 one year before the PS3 and still have a better GPU?

How is this possible? Shouldn't the technology have been a little old by the time the PS3 came out?

Hman321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hman321
Member since 2007 • 1271 Posts
luck? i dont know
septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 septicvirus
No, really, why does everyone choose to overlook this fact?
jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts

How did Microsoft manage to release the 360 one year before the PS3 and still have a better GPU?

How is this possible? Shouldn't the technology have been a little old by the time the PS3 came out?

septicvirus

sony got stuck trying to make "teh cell" perform as a gpu as well as a cpu. so instead of delaying the p3 again they went to nvidia and asked for a qiuck fix and the rsx was it.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
Because SONY put all theirbets on the Cell. A CPU cannot match a GPU In the Graphics department. Its called a GPU for a reason. (Graphics Processing Unit.)
7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
Well, this is actually something that bothers me about the PS3. It should have been leaps and bounds better then the 360 technically with a whole yr, but I think you can thank blu-ray for that.
septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 septicvirus
[QUOTE="septicvirus"]

jxditu

sony got stuck trying to make "teh cell" perform as a gpu as well as a cpu. so instead of delaying the p3 again they went to nvidia and asked for a qiuck fix and the rsx was it.

But why wouldn't they go get a GPU that was the same or even a bit better than the one already in the 360? did they think they could trick all sony fans forever? are they still tricking sony fans?

2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
Hmmm ATI was allready at the point where they could mass produce unified shader GPUs?
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

Simply because MS has a better understanding of what kind of architecture is best for processing software.

is it really a surprise?

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 septicvirus

Hmmm ATI was allready at the point where they could mass produce unified shader GPUs?2FacedJanus

Do you think Sony tried to pull off a big hoax? Meaning, after losing so much time and R&D costs with the cell, they opted to recoup some of the money by using an inferior, less expensive GPU.

Ultimately, they believed they could sell 5 million PS3's before anyone even noticed. I think they were planning on selling just on hype and potential. Fanboys may be playing a role in their plan by continually hyping the Cell.

jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
[QUOTE="jxditu"][QUOTE="septicvirus"]

septicvirus

But why wouldn't they go get a GPU that was the same or even a bit better than the one already in the 360? did they think they could trick all sony fans forever? are they still tricking sony fans?

they didnt have the time to wait for a new design. MS knew from the start what they wanted to do as far as a gpu. sony thought they were going to be slick and have the cell peform the operations of both the gpu and cpu. sony already wited too long to release the ps3 and adding to that time would have made it even worst.

Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

Don't forget - the PS3 launched several months later than it was supposed to because of severe shortages and manufacturing issues of Blu Ray diodes.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

septicvirus

Ask the person with a melted mother board.

jessesalinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jessesalinas
Member since 2007 • 2935 Posts

Because they plan Ahead.

havent you learned anything?

McCool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 McCool69
Member since 2006 • 1118 Posts

septicvirus

The thing is that there was very little further development of the PS3 the last 1,5 year before it was released. They would of course have released far earlier if they could get their precious cell and blu-ray produced in mass quantities. Which they couldn't. They took a gamble. And lost.

So the PS3-hardware is not 'never' than the 360 at all. It just came later to the market.

ngoniko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ngoniko
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts
[QUOTE="jxditu"][QUOTE="septicvirus"]

septicvirus

the cost of it, it they did ps3 might cost more than 600 bucks

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 septicvirus

[QUOTE="2FacedJanus"]Hmmm ATI was allready at the point where they could mass produce unified shader GPUs?septicvirus

Do you think Sony tried to pull off a big hoax? Meaning, after losing so much time and R&D costs with the cell, they opted to recoup some of the money by using an inferior, less expensive GPU.

Ultimately, they believed they could sell 5 million PS3's before anyone even noticed. I think they were planning on selling just on hype and potential. Fanboys may be playing a role in their plan by continually hyping the Cell.

I could see Sony doing this

2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts

septicvirus

Hoax no? Did they indeed overhype their system's capabilities? yes. Did they indeed hype the cell as a gift from god? Yes. Would they have been better off if they opted for just taking multiple general purpose cores? Yes, so far I don't know about the Cell being massively used in other products, and I believe that was the whole point of the cell. In my opinion, they would've been better off getting a different cpu for their PS3 and waited until the cell could actually be mass produced properly, then use a highly advanced version of the CELL for PS4, along with proper development tools and all that.

But hey, who am I to talk like this, I know jack **** about making consoles.

But I think sony's biggest flaw was misjudging their userbase, the people who bought a ps2 bought it to play games, they aren't media center enthusiast. I think this is one of the main reasons that the price is affecting PS3 sales so much. Because if that same userbase will plop down 600,- for a machine they will mainly play games on, they expect super graphics, blowing the 360 out of the water and making the extra 200 well worth it. But instead, you get a system, that's 200,- more than a 360, and games that don't look better than 360 games.

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 septicvirus
[QUOTE="septicvirus"]

2FacedJanus

Hoax no? Did they indeed overhype their system's capabilities? yes. Did they indeed hype the cell as a gift from god? Yes. Would they have been better off if they opted for just taking multiple general purpose cores? Yes, so far I don't know about the Cell being massively used in other products, and I believe that was the whole point of the cell. In my opinion, they would've been better off getting a different cpu for their PS3 and waited until the cell could actually be mass produced properly, then use a highly advanced version of the CELL for PS4, along with proper development tools and all that.

But hey, who am I to talk like this, I know jack **** about making consoles.

But I think sony's biggest flaw was misjudging their userbase, the people who bought a ps2 bought it to play games, they aren't media center enthusiast. I think this is one of the main reasons that the price is affecting PS3 sales so much. Because if that same userbase will plop down 600,- for a machine they will mainly play games on, they expect super graphics, blowing the 360 out of the water and making the extra 200 well worth it. But instead, you get a system, that's 200,- more than a 360, and games that don't look better than 360 games.

I think you're right. Playstation fans wanted super graphics out of the PS3, not a jack of all trades.

spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts
Sony wanted to see Blu-Ray and not a gaming machine. This is why they failed.
Halo2_Norad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Halo2_Norad
Member since 2002 • 3802 Posts

Sony wanted to see Blu-Ray and not a gaming machine. This is why they failed.spidey008

i agree, the ps3 is a media device (so says Sony themselves) and not a gaming machine. If they focused more on games they would be ahead of the pack right now bur because of the all-in-one approach, it kicking them in the butt. I as a gamer care about games, not blu-ray and communications. I got a PC for that stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

septicvirus

I would like to recommend that all clueless and ignorant people stop making hardware threads. Thank you!

Now, to answer your question, just because the PS3 launched a year after the 360 does NOT mean it started development later, had the specs approved later or used newer hardware. The PS3 and 360 were in development for the same amount of time and basically had their finaly specs finalized at the same time. The problem was that, while MS was able to rush out their hardware, Sony had delay after delay after delay due to hardware manufacturing problems, lawsuits over their controller and a possible redesign, problems with BR manufacturing, and of course the issue of devs not getting their devs kits soon enough to make games available for an earlier launch.

So while there are many issues to criticize SOny over, this idea that time is all that matters when it come to hardware shows nothing but the ignorance some people have when it comes to anything more than a year old.

Armored_cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Armored_cell
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Point of thread?

PS3 is still more powerful.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
:| Sony delayed because of distribution problems, so the fact is that is even if PS3 relaesed in 07, the specs wouldn't change and 360 would still have the better gpu :)
TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

septicvirus

Um both were finalized long before they were announced. The PS3's delay was because they had alot of trouble with Cell yields and Blu Ray diods. Sony never had a custom GPU designed like MS. They were originally going to use two Cell CPU's but that didnt work so they had to use an off the shelf G70.

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts

Easy to say the only effort Sony put into the PS3 was the graphics and the blu-ray drive.

Microsoft put a master game system and easy to use gameplay controls.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
The 360 and PS3 were designed at the same time - the PS3 was delayed due to optical drive and cell manufacturing problems. It's a system with 2005 technology that was released in late 2006.
DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts

Exactly!

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 septicvirus
[QUOTE="septicvirus"]

TOAO_Cyrus1

Um both were finalized long before they were announced. The PS3's delay was because they had alot of trouble with Cell yields and Blu Ray diods. Sony never had a custom GPU designed like MS. They were originally going to use two Cell CPU's but that didnt work so they had to use an off the shelf G70.

So is all this talk about the Cell working w/ the RSX to eventually produce better graphics than the 360 really just wishful thinking?

Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts

This debacleclearly shows the sony executive staff for the group of bumbling idiots they are. Their business plan, while in the "best intrests of the consumers" and certaintly in the best interest of blu ray ( and the only hope it had), were very poorly executed. From a competition standpoint, a software giant like microsoft that has a clear understanding of the most optimal system infastructure was also aggressive in its release of the 360.

Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts
PS3 was meant to launch much earlier than it did but got delayed because of blue ray. Sony also doesn't seem to see the value of a good GPU, the PS2 GPU was prehistoric.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
They definitly saved some time on 'Quality Control', which has caused 360 owners to invent the 'Towel' trick.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

Point of thread?

PS3 is still more powerful.

Armored_cell

I thought it was already proven false by facts in another thread.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
Because they are dumb, instead of having SLi RSXs, they decided to use XDR ram which has proven to do nothing thus far.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
KILLZONE BABY. lol, but really i heard killzone was one of the first games that is trying really hard to use the cell as a gpu and cpu. and from the updates they have been giving out it sounds like they are doing a good job of it, well have to wait till E3 to see how it works, and if they get it right, it might push the ps3 in the right direction. thats why i hype this game so much, its using the ps3 in ways other devs are not.
septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 septicvirus

They definitly saved some time on 'Quality Control', which has caused 360 owners to invent the 'Towel' trick.flazzle

huh? we were talking about why the gpu is better on a system release a year earlier. A good GPU seems pretty important to a gaming system to me...