How deep is Mass Effect's combat/cusomization and leveling system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hellzhitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hellzhitman
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
      I don't know too much about Mass Effect though it looks good.  I know projectile based weapons play a bigger role than something like JRPG's and past RPG's.  I know you have the whole dark energy thing.  But in what catergory's do you level up in?  I'm assuming speech plays a major role.
hellzhitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hellzhitman
    Whoever made this topic is very intellectual, if I do say so myself :P
ryanzoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 ryanzoso
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts
If you go to www.bioware.com and go to games. click on mass effect download the X 06 video, for a breif moment you can see the menu thing for your character, check it out.
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
Yeah im interested in this too. I want it to be DEEP
hellzhitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hellzhitman
Yeah im interested in this too. I want it to be DEEPmmogoon
Me too :D. I don't want a game that is believed to be a shooter more so than an rpg. I want it to be a really good rpg.
supernoob662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 supernoob662
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

all of mass effect is great and so deep go buy it now

Sig12047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Sig12047
Member since 2004 • 4194 Posts

Renegade and Paragon are basically good and evil moral points, they do not affect combat. They deal with dialogue, quests and different things like that. There are several classes and sub classes, I have yet to make a tech guy so I dont know anything about those skills. The soldier is like the beginner class, he does not use boitic powers. Biotic powers stem from manipulation of energy fields, not dark powers. You can draw enemies toward a target, lift them into the air, (the best skill) weaken them, damage them, throw them and do other things like that. The game is sort of tactical, you have to hide behind crates and do different things in order to survive. Combat is squad based, third person shooter; enemies can be repetitive, but it did not bother me. Boitic and tech skills cannot be spammed, there are no "magic points" or "mana levels" in the game, you use an ability, it recharges and you can use it again. Higher levels decrease this recharge, some abilities negate it so you can immediately use all skills again. You can pause combat to direct the actions of your squad, change weapons and strategize. I recommend letting your squad do its thing and going about your own business.

After I beat the game, I immediately wanted to replay it but I decided to hold off and play Zelda:TPH on the DS.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

Depending on the class you choose you'll have the chance to train in sniper rifles, shotguns, assault rifles and pistols. You also have powers like lift, warp, throw, barrier and a bunch of tech powers such as increasing the blast radius of your grenades (my character doesn't focus on tech powers so go to Bioware.com to find out more).

When you level up, you receive a couple points that can be used to train your character in any of the aforementioned categories, as well as things like charm/intimidate which open up new dialogue options. It's pretty simple, but it works well.

All weapons and armour have slots for upgrades: shield boosters, regenerators, armour-piercing bullets, etc.

It's a great game, I highly recommend it.

OneShot112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OneShot112
Member since 2004 • 14104 Posts

Holy bump Batman

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Works a lot like KOTOR did if you need a comparision with some obvious improvements (most of the ablities actually serve a purpose..besides stasis...that just sucks)

the dialogue system and story are amazing though... just to give you a little detail... After a mission in the game a reporter approached me asking for an interview...Well she started asking to many questions and this insued xP http://youtube.com/watch?v=FESOPPP5YEQ

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Works a lot like KOTOR did if you need a comparision with some obvious improvements (most of the ablities actually serve a purpose..besides stasis...that just sucks)

the dialogue system and story are amazing though... just to give you a little detail... After a mission in the game a reporter approached me asking for an interview...Well she started asking to many questions and this insued xP http://youtube.com/watch?v=FESOPPP5YEQ

UnknownSniper65
Actually it doesn't if you do the side quest that upgrades your character class. It will enable you to damage enemies while in stasis. Even without that, it's pretty good at the higher levels at freezing larger opponents when things get rocky.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

i think supernoob is a pretty cool guy. eh bumps ancient topics and doesn't afraid of anything.

But yeah, Stasis + Bastion = godly.