How come GTAIV

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 piercetruth34
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts
is the highest rated game on metacritic by far but the user reviews aren't nearly as good? Metacritic is a compilation of every review site and i have a hard time believing rockstar paid everyone off. Why is there such a difference between the reviewers and the user reviews?
AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts

is the highest rated game on metacritic by far but the user reviews aren't nearly as good? Metacritic is a compilation of every review site and i have a hard time believing rockstar paid everyone off. Why is there such a difference between the reviewers and the user reviews?piercetruth34

R* shelled out money to garner high reviews? The reviewers are out of touch? People were disappointed by all of the hype?

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

[QUOTE="piercetruth34"]is the highest rated game on metacritic by far but the user reviews aren't nearly as good? Metacritic is a compilation of every review site and i have a hard time believing rockstar paid everyone off. Why is there such a difference between the reviewers and the user reviews?AlphaGamer469

R* shelled out money to garner high reviews? The reviewers are out of touch? People were disappointed by all of the hype?

I'm going with what you just said.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
I'm not sure, I listen to a lot of podcasts and when GTA 4 was the hot topic, gaming journalist sounded truley sincere when praising GTA4.
jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
It's because the stupid reviewers were brainwashed by the hype.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

I'm not sure, I listen to a lot of podcasts and when GTA 4 was the hot topic, gaming journalist sounded truley sincere when praising GTA4. W1NGMAN-

When I listened I found a lot of it as BS as they sounded so in love wit hte game that they just some how found NO CONS in the game at all. Not a single one mentioned. At least thats what i got from the 1up podcast.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 piercetruth34
I just dont understand why gta iv is considered overrated by gamers and mgsiv is touted as the greatest game ever by cows everywhere. Gamers are weird. I've played them both and they are both good games but both overrated.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 W1NGMAN-

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]I'm not sure, I listen to a lot of podcasts and when GTA 4 was the hot topic, gaming journalist sounded truley sincere when praising GTA4. Cedmln

When I listened I found a lot of it as BS as they sounded so in love wit hte game that they just some how found NO CONS in the game at all. Not a single one mentioned. At least thats what i got from the 1up podcast.

Yea I know what you're talking about, Jeff Gerstmann freakin couldn't get off his knees when talking about GTA 4 and that guy is usually the first one to point out flaws in a game...

I still remember when he said something like "the story really touched home for me" and that he could somehow relate to it....if you could somehow relate to GTA 4s story then you must live one crazy life:lol:

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 W1NGMAN-

I just dont understand why gta iv is considered overrated by gamers and mgsiv is touted as the greatest game ever by cows everywhere. Gamers are weird. I've played them both and they are both good games but both overrated.piercetruth34

Without MGS1/2/3, MGS4 would have been viewed as an amazing game....but it's what lead up to it that made it truely special.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
Alot of people (including me) bought into the hype only to be very dissapointed.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts

I think Zelda Ocarina of Time still holds the highest overall ranking. My opinion is the GTA IV had a great story which made finishing missions compelling, but the missions themselves weren't very fun. Same old, same old. Great game, but average gameplay.gamecubepad

It does.

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
Not sure but I doubt Rockstar paid anyone off.
piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 piercetruth34

I'm talking current gen and GTAIV is the highest rated game.

So what you are saying is GTAIV really isnt that good? I just find it hard to imagine that a game that scored an average score of 98 on metacritic being this disliked by gamers... You can't get much higher than that.

Zelda is the only game ever to score higher and it scored a 99. Only 2 other games ever scored a 98.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 piercetruth34
[QUOTE="piercetruth34"]

I'm talking current gen and GTAIV is the highest rated game.

So what you are saying is GTAIV really isnt that good? I just find it hard to imagine that a game that scored an average score of 98 on metacritic being this disliked by gamers... You can't get much higher than that.

Zelda is the only game ever to score higher and it scored a 99.

gamecubepad

I don't know if you're directly talking to me. I'm not saying GTA IV isn't that great. I gave it a 9/10. It's awesome. It's just primarily a movie-game, and lacks really fun gameplay mechanics. A lot of the stuff I liked about San Andreas was stripped out. It's a good game, but not the best GTA imo. Most people would like it more than San Andreas just because it has better graphics and most gamers are white so they associate better with Niko than CJ. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah but the point is most gamers it appears think gtaiv is overhyped and not that great. If you look at every 360 game that scored over 90 on metacritic they are all deserving. Halo 3 was considered overhyped at first but people still play that game and the hate has died down. gta's score is based on an average of 86 reviews. 98 is a pretty high score.

1. Xbox 360:Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The (2006) 94
Bethesda Softworks / 2K Games

2. Xbox 360:Gears of War (2006) 94
Microsoft

3. Xbox 360:Halo 3 (2007) 94
Microsoft

4. Xbox 360:Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) 98
Rockstar Games

5. Xbox 360:Mass Effect (2007) 91
Microsoft

6. Xbox 360:BioShock (2007) 96
2K Games

7. Xbox 360:Guitar Hero II (2007) 92
RedOctane

8. Xbox 360:Orange Box, The (2007) 96
Electronic Arts / Valve Software

9. Xbox 360:Rock Band (2007) 92
Electronic Arts / MTV

10. Xbox 360:Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) 94
Activision

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Jaded and stubborn gamers.
gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

I just dont understand why gta iv is considered overrated by gamers and mgsiv is touted as the greatest game ever by cows everywhere. Gamers are weird. I've played them both and they are both good games but both overrated.piercetruth34

GTA4 feels like there's LESS to it than the previous installments. MGS4 adds on to its predecessors, and it closes an epic series.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 piercetruth34

[QUOTE="piercetruth34"]I just dont understand why gta iv is considered overrated by gamers and mgsiv is touted as the greatest game ever by cows everywhere. Gamers are weird. I've played them both and they are both good games but both overrated.gasmaskman

GTA4 feels like there's LESS to it than the previous installments. MGS4 adds on to its predecessors, and it closes an epic series.

I played previous installments but not to any great extent. What was taken out? I'm really enjoying this years gta. Everything seems to be very well done.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Not sure but I doubt Rockstar paid anyone off. SaintBlaze

same, everyone acts like its a fact that they paid every review site off, i dont think that happened, im mean gta has ALWAYS been sooo overrated, like san andreas got a 9.6 here, and a 9.9 at ign, so seeing as how that this game is 1000 times better than its predicessors they really had no option but to give it a ten really, and i mean everyone acts like the game sucks when it doesnt, its a very awesome game, and you have to realize that reviews only have a certain amount of time to play and review a game. The first 2 days that i had it i definately would have given it a 10, as would many others, but hind site is 20/20, and the game doesnt have as much to offer after a while as you thought it was going to at the beggining of the game

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Not sure but I doubt Rockstar paid anyone off. SaintBlaze

Really, they couldn't have. If I remember correctly, wasn't R* fighting off the EA bid at that time. Shelling out money just so they're game would get a Perfect Score would've been dumb. :P

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts

Because in the first week of you playin it, you feel like it's one of the best games you've ever played. Then a couple weeks go by and you're bored of it and you realize... wow what was I thinking, it wasn't that good.

At least, thats how it was for me and seemed like it was for most of everyone else.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Because in the first week of you playin it, you feel like it's one of the best games you've ever played. Then a couple weeks go by and you're bored of it and you realize... wow what was I thinking, it wasn't that good.

At least, thats how it was for me and seemed like it was for most of everyone else.

Not-A-Stalker

exactly what i felt. I played it for like 9 hours the first day i got it, i thought it was so awesome, but now i havent touched it in a very long time

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 piercetruth34

[QUOTE="SaintBlaze"]Not sure but I doubt Rockstar paid anyone off. VendettaRed07

same, everyone acts like its a fact that they paid every review site off, i dont think that happened, im mean gta has ALWAYS been sooo overrated, like san andreas got a 9.6 here, and a 9.9 at ign, so seeing as how that this game is 1000 times better than its predicessors they really had no option but to give it a ten really, and i mean everyone acts like the game sucks when it doesnt, its a very awesome game, and you have to realize that reviews only have a certain amount of time to play and review a game. The first 2 days that i had it i definately would have given it a 10, as would many others, but hind site is 20/20, and the game doesnt have as much to offer after a while as you thought it was going to at the beggining of the game

I agree with this because when playing it I always get that feeling of wanting more. But the sheer scope of the game is immense and well executed and what is there is very well done. I got the same feeling when playing previous gta games as well. It always leaves me wanting more and being able to do more things. But that said there is still stuff i havent done that i hear you can do.

Avatar image for z_gaming_master
z_gaming_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 z_gaming_master
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
There are plenty of people who love GTA IV and consider it the best in the series, and the best game this gen. The reason you'll see alot of hate is because of the people who don't agree. When a game is said to be the best of this gen, people are going to oppose it if they disagree and these people, even if they are the minority, tend to be more vocal.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
OOT is actually...
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

because its seems like rockstar took out alot of things from the game....that for some reason i get the feeling it might be coming in downloadable content....only three clothing stores??

no option besides pay'n'spray to customize your car??

and why, why why.... did they have to make parking spots...i would of prefered one of those big house's in alderney instead of that bummy safehouse you get

ALTAIR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ALTAIR360
Member since 2006 • 1408 Posts

bc their sites would be in danger.

never underestimate a fanboy!

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 piercetruth34

because its seems like rockstar took out alot of things from the game....that for some reason i get the feeling it might be coming in downloadable content....only three clothing stores??

no option besides pay'n'spray to customize your car??

and why, why why.... did they have to make parking spots...i would of prefered one of those big house's in alderney instead of that bummy safehouse you get

mlbslugger86

I wish they did more with the internet. There are sites you can go to but you cant order stuff. Its more just for show. Unless i'm missing something. It would be cool if you could. I also wish they had more stores and buildings, and stuff you can use and interact with. I also wish the did more with the police chases, different kinds of crimes you can commit like going into a hospital or soething and start taking people hostage or start shooting up the police station.. picking up different things and using them in different ways. Just different ways to interact. Unless im missing something you cant do these things. Everything that is there is great but they could have done more. It just seems to me like GTA gives you a set of tools but there is so much more stuff that is there but its just for show. You can only go to the strip club and see the same thing so many times. The first time was great but after a while it gets repetitive. GTA has always been this way for me. That said I still think for what it is it's awesome. The sheer scope of the city itself is amazing. The characters, even the people on the street are very well done. The graphics and everything is very well executed. It just leaves you wanting more. I still think it's game of the year but it could be more.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

Its mainly because the game gives a great first impression with a large environment, beautiful graphics and freedom. The problem is that after playing for a little while you begin to realize that all you do is run errands for people and your choices dont really drastically influence the game.

It gets old fast, I fought tooth and nail to beat the game so i can sell it and get my money's worth. It got very frustrating running all these dumb errands just so you can go a tad further into the story which at the very end feels very shallow. I does a good job at tricking the gamer into thinking there is diversity when most of your missions boil down to, shoot out, races, car chases and drop offs. And they fluff the game time even more by making you hike from one side of the city to the other quite often.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 piercetruth34

Its mainly because the game gives a great first impression with a large environment, beautiful graphics and freedom. The problem is that you after playing for a little while you begin to realize that all you do is run errands for people and your choices dont really drastically influence the game.

It gets old fast, I fought tooth and nail to beat the game so i can sell it and get my money's worth. It got very frustrating running all these dumb errands just so you can go a tad further into the story which at the very end feels very shallow. I does a good job at tricking the gamer into thinking there is diversity when most of your missions boil down to, shoot out, races, car chases and drop offs. And they fluff the game time even more by making you hike from one side of the city to the other quite often.

Javy03

I think the point of gta is kind of to freestyle things though and just use the missions to keep progressing in the game. I agree the missions could be more diverse and i wish they gave you more to do when just horking around. It still is a lot though. they added multiplayer. There is a ton of stuff you can do. The game isnt a streamlined mission based game and if you play it that way you are missing the point even though I agree.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

I think the point of gta is kind of to freestyle things though and just use the missions to keep progressing in the game. I agree the missions could be more diverse and i wish they gave you more to do when just horking around. It still is a lot though. they added multiplayer. There is a ton of stuff you can do. The game isnt a streamlined mission based game and if you play it that way you are missing the point even though I agree.

piercetruth34

Oh I totally get it. I know they created the sandbox genre and love to give you tons of side missions. My problem is that the side missions became dull and at least at first the story interested me so the missions almost felt like a chore to get bits of the story. Then after finishing the story I look back and really dont feel it was worth it.

However the humor is always fantastic, the TV shows, radio and commercials are so funny. The online is fun for a short time but feels very shallow as well. With auto aim you have people shooting you through bushes where you know they can't see you but when they hit the aim buttom they are locked on.

papi_lekker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 papi_lekker
Member since 2008 • 360 Posts
[QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]

[QUOTE="piercetruth34"]is the highest rated game on metacritic by far but the user reviews aren't nearly as good? Metacritic is a compilation of every review site and i have a hard time believing rockstar paid everyone off. Why is there such a difference between the reviewers and the user reviews?Cedmln

I'm going with what you just said.

yeah i agree with alphagamer too, but cedmln's comments are beginning to irritate me, i think i am not alone...
piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 piercetruth34
[QUOTE="piercetruth34"]

Javy03

Oh I totally get it. I know they created the sandbox genre and love to give you tons of side missions. My problem is that the side missions became dull and at least at first the story interested me so the missions almost felt like a chore to get bits of the story. Then after finishing the story I look back and really dont feel it was worth it.

However the humor is always fantastic, the TV shows, radio and commercials are so funny. The online is fun for a short time but feels very shallow as well. With auto aim you have people shooting you through bushes where you know they can't see you but when they hit the aim buttom they are locked on.

yeah the auto aim wasn't done very well. That is one thing technically that i have a problem with. There are very few technical issues with the game though. There are a few auto aim being one of them. I just turn auto aim off and try to play multiplayer games where it isnt allowed.

jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
The Autoaim is terrible, I wanna shoot someone in a car but I cant beside the autoaim is always forcing me to aim at someone else.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Let me put it this way.

If you want to use a review score to decide whether or not to buy a game fine.

If you've played the game then review scores shouldn't matter. If you think GTAIV is A+ #1 all time then it is in your opinion, you don't need turds from gaming websites to make your mind up for you.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

Not-A-Stalker

That's how I felt. I popped it in last night because I was determined to complete the game. But I just can't go through one more 'take down so-and-so' chase mission. Enough is enough.

papi_lekker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 papi_lekker
Member since 2008 • 360 Posts
The Autoaim is terrible, I wanna shoot someone in a car but I cant beside the autoaim is always forcing me to aim at someone else.jeffdoomsday
if you hold the trigger half way it wont auto aim at all, just so you know
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

[QUOTE="piercetruth34"]is the highest rated game on metacritic by far but the user reviews aren't nearly as good? Metacritic is a compilation of every review site and i have a hard time believing rockstar paid everyone off. Why is there such a difference between the reviewers and the user reviews?AlphaGamer469

I believe that is the reason

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 piercetruth34

The Autoaim is terrible, I wanna shoot someone in a car but I cant beside the autoaim is always forcing me to aim at someone else.jeffdoomsday

yeah I have the same problem. That said i have my gripes and wish it was better. I can understand the high reviews though. If I were reviewing it i wouldnt give it a 10. Probably between a 9-9.5. there are some very minor technical issues and it just leaves me wanting more in a lot of regards. That said I still think it's the best gta to date and its the king of open world games due to its scope and execution. Everything that is there is so well done and it has the foundation to be that. Games like crackdown and saints row try to do different things and give a different spin on things and add some of the missing elements, but gta just does it better.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 piercetruth34

[QUOTE="jeffdoomsday"]The Autoaim is terrible, I wanna shoot someone in a car but I cant beside the autoaim is always forcing me to aim at someone else.papi_lekker
if you hold the trigger half way it wont auto aim at all, just so you know

didn't know that.

stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

Jaded and stubborn gamers.BioShockOwnz

So if we were dissapointed by it we're stubborn and jaded?

Your fanboyism for this game is amazing.

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
because people prefer quantity over quality, reviewers weren't like that. i think gta4 is by far the best gta ever.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

I quess when a game is really highly rated by reviewers, the players start looking with a more critical view to a game. I've played GTA 4 myself, and it's a great game in pretty much every way. The gameplay is well thought out, and the story is good. There are some parts of the game that can be criticized, but if you criticize these issues, then you should also do this for all the other games out there. This usually doesn't happen. If games aren't rated well, gamers tend to look at the good parts of the game and say it's awesome. If the game is highly rated, people look at the flaws and ask if it really deserves it.

Also, I think maybe reviewers saw more of a future perspective in GTA 4. If you remember how GTA 3 started last gen, and what it became, The next few GTA games should be epic.

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Arjdagr8

I quess when a game is really highly rated by reviewers, the players start looking with a more critical view to a game. I've played GTA 4 myself, and it's a great game in pretty much every way. The gameplay is well thought out, and the story is good. There are some parts of the game that can be criticized, but if you criticize these issues, then you should also do this for all the other games out there. This usually doesn't happen. If games aren't rated well, gamers tend to look at the good parts of the game and say it's awesome. If the game is highly rated, people look at the flaws and ask if it really deserves it.

Also, I think maybe reviewers saw more of a future perspective in GTA 4. If you remember how GTA 3 started last gen, and what it became, The next few GTA games should be epic.

11Marcel

agreed completely.

leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts

Most of the users that buy it are casual though. They weren't looking for a Godfather style deep immersive game with realistic environments, they were looking for an R2, R2, L1, R2, left, down, right, up, left, down, right, up GTAII weapon cheat + rocket launcher experience.

Those are the people that didn't look at the finer details. This is one of the best made video games I have ever played in the last two generations at least. People were just looking for that quick fix and aren't happy that GTA is actually turning out to be more than that.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="11Marcel"]

Arjdagr8

agreed completely.

Ditto! Great post, 11Marcel.;)

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Arjdagr8

Most of the users that buy it are casual though. They weren't looking for a Godfather style deep immersive game with realistic environments, they were looking for an R2, R2, L1, R2, left, down, right, up, left, down, right, up GTAII weapon cheat + rocket launcher experience.

Those are the people that didn't look at the finer details. This is one of the best made video games I have ever played in the last two generations at least. People were just looking for that quick fix and aren't happy that GTA is actually turning out to be more than that.

leejohnson7

agreed again! lol exactly why i love gta4 more.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 piercetruth34
I agree about the environments being immersive. The city and the characters are so good.. I just wish they were more interactive. There are so many places i want to go in and interact but i cant. maybe in the next gta games. This is what i see as well and why it leaves me wanting more. I also agree the next few gta games are going to be amazing. What they did with this game they are definately moving in the right direction and laid the foundation for some great games. it is revolutionary in a lot of ways and next gen. Why it deserves the acclaim it is getting imo.