How can gamers not appreciate MS efforts with X360?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

Seriously now, give credit were credit is due, Microsoft continues to do poorly in "The Land of the Rising Sun" but maintain course and plug ahead.  Gaining more support from Japanese developers like Capcom, Tecmo, Treasure, etc.  They have helped establish a new development house by funding Mistwalker's projects.  MS is trying to pave the way with new IP's like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Cry On, Blue Dragon 2 pending, Eternal Sonata, etc. 

I think it shows great committment to continue to support a region for 6 years now that continues to give you no love, simply based of the fact that the region is the supposed video game epicenter (arguable, its more like preception they are the leaders).  Posters constantly ask me why I support the Xbox platform and I point to all the effort Microsoft is putting into the industry. 

This effort is almost the direct opposite of what I see in Sony.  What I see in Sony is an industry leader who has become fat from sales and who's ego has run out of control.  Honestly, making fans wait a year to launch their new system simply because they are more concerned with a Blu-ray format, instead of their true bread and butter, which has been their games division, then it arrives at an overblown retail price for a console, shunting many of its fans that can't support the associated costs. 

Look at Sony's effort with the controller.  Fans made fun of the Boomarang, but turns out it would have been better than what comes with PS3.  Sony listened to its fans, but instead of redesigning a new controller, they go lazy and use the same design as the last 10 years, slap on a X360 dashboard button and partial sensor control ala Wiimote and pawn it off as a new controller.

I don't see Sony upstarting new development houses or all that many new IP's and I am seeing a laziness in securing exclusive titles for their brand.

Of course others can disagree or have different perspectives of what they see and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I just like the efforts of Microsoft and I appreciate what they are doing.

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
I've always backed microsoft. And now with the xbox 360 i love them even more
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
I give their limitless pocketbooks the credit.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I'm not sure how much credit I'll give Microsoft, outside of their XBOX department (whatever it's called... M$GU). But they did a heck of a job with the 360. No doubt about that. It's the first console I've bought when it was current since the SNES!
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
I completely agree with you Dan. *Salutes MS Flag on my wall*
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing...
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing...Shazenab

I bought ME for $200 and XP for $200... I got XP again for OEM for $100... Vista is no different.

Where do you think they get their money from to fund the production of multi billion dollar operating systems?

It wont take them long to recoup their loss... But there going to be starting a whole other operating system again. So the cycle continues.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing...Shazenab
My sentiments exactly. That is why I want the 360 to succeed, but I don't want the ps3 to crash and burn like it is right now....
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
Would you buy an expensive console that really doesn't go above and beyond the other consoles with the genre that interests you? Obviously not, quit whining about how the Japanese culture is different from ours and accept the fact that Microsoft tried but didn't try hard enough.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
They certainly have been putting in effort to develop and secure new IPs and titles.  I give them credit there.  They've made huge strides in creating a more diverse and enjoyable game library, and it shows.  2007 looks to be a great year for 360 owners.
avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 avenger_dot
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

Having 24 RPG, many JRPG's, 3 strategy games, all new IP's, and adventures that kill like Alan Wake, makes it a surprise comparing to xbox that had only 4 PC rpg's and one of its own, no JRPG's, no adventures that kill etc etc

Best news are that it retains it PC games ports and wrpg's, making a PC totally obsolete for some more years

Overall a wonder of a console, never have i seen such a game value in any console before

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts

Seriously now, give credit were credit is due, Microsoft continues to do poorly in "The Land of the Rising Sun" but maintain course and plug ahead. Gaining more support from Japanese developers like Capcom, Tecmo, Treasure, etc. They have helped establish a new development house by funding Mistwalker's projects. MS is trying to pave the way with new IP's like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Cry On, Blue Dragon 2 pending, Eternal Sonata, etc.

I think it shows great committment to continue to support a region for 6 years now that continues to give you no love, simply based of the fact that the region is the supposed video game epicenter (arguable, its more like preception they are the leaders). Posters constantly ask me why I support the Xbox platform and I point to all the effort Microsoft is putting into the industry.

This effort is almost the direct opposite of what I see in Sony. What I see in Sony is an industry leader who has become fat from sales and who's ego has run out of control. Honestly, making fans wait a year to launch their new system simply because they are more concerned with a Blu-ray format, instead of their true bread and butter, which has been their games division, then it arrives at an overblown retail price for a console, shunting many of its fans that can't support the associated costs.

Look at Sony's effort with the controller. Fans made fun of the Boomarang, but turns out it would have been better than what comes with PS3. Sony listened to its fans, but instead of redesigning a new controller, they go lazy and use the same design as the last 10 years, slap on a X360 dashboard button and partial sensor control ala Wiimote and pawn it off as a new controller.

I don't see Sony upstarting new development houses or all that many new IP's and I am seeing a laziness in securing exclusive titles for their brand.

Of course others can disagree or have different perspectives of what they see and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I just like the efforts of Microsoft and I appreciate what they are doing.

Danthegamingman
I agree 110%! Good Read.
Avatar image for FlamingFlamingo
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlamingFlamingo
Member since 2005 • 1287 Posts
[QUOTE="Shazenab"]I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing...TheCrazed420
My sentiments exactly. That is why I want the 360 to succeed, but I don't want the ps3 to crash and burn like it is right now....

This is just my opinion, but I would much rather have a market with Nintendo and Microsoft, than a market with Sony and Microsoft. The problem with this is, Ninendo is not doing too well, the Wii has been almost completley sidetracked, it did very well at launch, but in the weeks following, the craze for the Wii died down, if Nintendo doesn't pull off a success this time around, that's three failures. Three strikes and you're out Nintendo.
gsx1100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gsx1100
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
They doing a much better job than they did with the original Xbox as far as games go.I've never been a fan of MS and the way they do business but I'm enjoying my 360 way more than I did my Xbox.So yeah,I'll give them their due. Just hope they dont end up dominating console gaming to the extent that they do with their OS.
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts

Seriously now, give credit were credit is due, Microsoft continues to do poorly in "The Land of the Rising Sun" but maintain course and plug ahead.  Gaining more support from Japanese developers like Capcom, Tecmo, Treasure, etc.  They have helped establish a new development house by funding Mistwalker's projects.  MS is trying to pave the way with new IP's like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Cry On, Blue Dragon 2 pending, Eternal Sonata, etc. 

I think it shows great committment to continue to support a region for 6 years now that continues to give you no love, simply based of the fact that the region is the supposed video game epicenter (arguable, its more like preception they are the leaders).  Posters constantly ask me why I support the Xbox platform and I point to all the effort Microsoft is putting into the industry. 

This effort is almost the direct opposite of what I see in Sony.  What I see in Sony is an industry leader who has become fat from sales and who's ego has run out of control.  Honestly, making fans wait a year to launch their new system simply because they are more concerned with a Blu-ray format, instead of their true bread and butter, which has been their games division, then it arrives at an overblown retail price for a console, shunting many of its fans that can't support the associated costs. 

Look at Sony's effort with the controller.  Fans made fun of the Boomarang, but turns out it would have been better than what comes with PS3.  Sony listened to its fans, but instead of redesigning a new controller, they go lazy and use the same design as the last 10 years, slap on a X360 dashboard button and partial sensor control ala Wiimote and pawn it off as a new controller.

Danthegamingman

im a cow and i like it, but why should i be open about it if lemmings won't even bother saying anything good about ps3. And dont say " its because theres nothing good about it" because thats a lie.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
There are several 360 titles that are exclusive to Japan, they are making effort at least.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Having 24 RPG, many JRPG's, 3 strategy games, all new IP's, and adventures that kill like Alan Wake, makes it a surprise comparing to xbox that had only 4 PC rpg's and one of its own, no JRPG's, no adventures that kill etc etc

Best news are that it retains it PC games ports and wrpg's, making a PC totally obsolete for some more years

Overall a wonder of a console, never have i seen such a game value in any console before

avenger_dot

someone wasn't old enough to own a ps2 or PSX :|
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts
[QUOTE="Danthegamingman"]

alex1889

im a cow and i like it, although with all that cash they could have made it a bit better. but why should i be open about it if lemmings won't even bother saying anything good about ps3. And dont say " its because theres nothing good about it" because thats a lie.

rabbidcrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rabbidcrazy
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I didn't like the way Microsoft started attempting to buy everyone out. I thought it was shady.

As for 360.... I have nothing against the system... I just dont appreciate how most 360 supporters simply want to see the PS3 fail and throw out all sorts of false crap or only post the bad news about PS3. There is plenty of good things and good news happening around the PS3 so dont use the "There is no good news for PS3" arguement... cause that would simply be a crap lie. I think you 360 supporters should stop attempting to see PS3 fail... and keep your eyes on your own system and see if it does good.

Both PS3 and Wii are quickly catching up to the total Xbox 360 sales. Sure... 360 will continue to sell... but not nearly at the same rate that it did before there was competition.

All three systems are good systems with good games comming to them. Quit trying to hate on one for no good reason. Even if you dont want any games comming to it... that's not a reason to hate a chuck of technology.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zhengi
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Shazenab"]I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing...FlamingFlamingo

This is just my opinion, but I would much rather have a market with Nintendo and Microsoft, than a market with Sony and Microsoft. The problem with this is, Ninendo is not doing too well, the Wii has been almost completley sidetracked, it did very well at launch, but in the weeks following, the craze for the Wii died down, if Nintendo doesn't pull off a success this time around, that's three failures. Three strikes and you're out Nintendo.

The craze for the Wii has died down? What planet are you from? The Wii is still sold out and people are still lining up outside of stores to buy the console.
REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 REVENGEotSITH
Member since 2003 • 3938 Posts

To me, it comes down to the games and the gaming experience.  This is why I got away from PC gaming and moved to console gaming - I didn't care for the gaming experience that PC gaming brought me: constanly upgrading my hardware (RAM and Vid Cards) and having to tweak each game's setting to get it to run smoothly.  Then I got a PS2, which was fun - until I played Splinter Cell on a friend's Xbox.  Man, what a difference between the two versions.  I switched and got onto Live.  Online gaming!  With voice chat!  Great FPS's! 

With the 360, it seems that Microsoft has really taken everything they did right with the Xbox, learned from their mistakes, and really made a genuine effort to provide the best gaming experience possible.  Throw in their efforts to speedline the development process through XNA and other tools, it seems like they are also listening to developers, too.

Now take Sony.  They stand on top of the mountain looking down at their competitors.  They don't seem to do anything that is in the best interest of gaming and their users.  I do give them props for at least delivering a free online gaming service, like they said they would.  From what I hear, it isn't great, but at least it is out there and free.  After this, however, it seems that everything they do is in THEIR best interest, not OURS.

$600 console.  Mandatory Blu-Ray (which is only really there for Sony to have a level of copy protection, not to improve our gaming experience).  Hard to develop for Cell processor.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="FlamingFlamingo"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Shazenab"]I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing...Zhengi

The craze for the Wii has died down? What planet are you from? The Wii is still sold out and people are still lining up outside of stores to buy the console.

the wii is the next DS.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spartan070

MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. Zhengi

That's not their fault, only anti-MS people say that, it has the biggest list of upcoming RPGs of any console....

Avatar image for FlamingFlamingo
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FlamingFlamingo
Member since 2005 • 1287 Posts
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="FlamingFlamingo"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Shazenab"]I love MS for the 360. But I fear I may hate them if they ever dominate the market. Just look at the Vista pricing..._Pedro_

the wii is the next DS.

Was that a compliment or an insult, because the DS did amazing...
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. Spartan070

That's not their fault, only anti-MS people say that, it has the biggest list of upcoming RPGs of any console....

How do you know they will be better. Most of 360's appealing games are related to shooting in some way.
gsx1100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gsx1100
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

To me, it comes down to the games and the gaming experience.  This is why I got away from PC gaming and moved to console gaming - I didn't care for the gaming experience that PC gaming brought me: constanly upgrading my hardware (RAM and Vid Cards) and having to tweak each game's setting to get it to run smoothly.  Then I got a PS2, which was fun - until I played Splinter Cell on a friend's Xbox.  Man, what a difference between the two versions.  I switched and got onto Live.  Online gaming!  With voice chat!  Great FPS's! 

With the 360, it seems that Microsoft has really taken everything they did right with the Xbox, learned from their mistakes, and really made a genuine effort to provide the best gaming experience possible.  Throw in their efforts to speedline the development process through XNA and other tools, it seems like they are also listening to developers, too.

Now take Sony.  They stand on top of the mountain looking down at their competitors.  They don't seem to do anything that is in the best interest of gaming and their users.  I do give them props for at least delivering a free online gaming service, like they said they would.  From what I hear, it isn't great, but at least it is out there and free.  After this, however, it seems that everything they do is in THEIR best interest, not OURS.

$600 console.  Mandatory Blu-Ray (which is only really there for Sony to have a level of copy protection, not to improve our gaming experience).  Hard to develop for Cell processor.

REVENGEotSITH

I'm sorry but MS and Nintendo are no different on that count.

MS is even worse than Sony when it comes to their customers best interests,just look at how they abandoned the Xbox for a start,or how about making forcing PC gamers to upgrade to Vista if teh want to play Halo2?

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darth_Stalin
MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. Zhengi

Um for one, securing franchises, the xbox had no where near as many. The Xbox on the other hand seemed somewhat indifferent, but it was Japanese Dev's who ignored them. Now, they are getting Japanese support. Honestly they are the ones who seem the most persistent to their fans (look how much they are suffering to get Japan). Sony on the other hand, doesn't give a damn, Nintendo, they carried out their usual plan. MS seems to care the most gamewise.

Nothing new, eh? Did Xbox get S-E support (FFXI blows, but Xbox didn't get jack), How much Capcom support was on Xbox? Did it secure an RE, it got Dino Crisis 3 :roll: The 360 is by far more balanced now, XBLA is now more successful, and so is XBL. Don't even try to downplay the difference, of all the consoles, they have changed the most.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts
[QUOTE="REVENGEotSITH"]

gsx1100

MS is even worse than Sony when it comes to their customers best interests,just look at how they abandoned the Xbox for a start,or how about making forcing PC gamers to upgrade to Vista if teh want to play Halo2?

you couldn't be more wrong..

at least MS asked their customers and developers what to include in their console...

sony simply DICTATES what THEY think gamers want...

it was a wise move to abandon the xbox.. the generation's over...

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. tegovoltio

How do you know they will be better. Most of 360's appealing games are related to shooting in some way.

The other genres being better is not the point, it is the fact that it has more genres under it's belt.
rabbidcrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rabbidcrazy
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

REVENGEotSITH

I got the 20GB system and only paid $499.

As far as Blu-ray being mandatory... so what? Blu-ray isn't hurting the PS3...and if games are already taking up 25GBs of space... then it's not hurting the developers either. If you think it's just for copy protection... maybe it is, but look at Nintendo. Nintendo stayed with carts for N64 and mini-DVD's for GC because of copy protection. Why shouldn't Sony do something similar? At least devs are using the extra space.

Many seem to forget that the PS3 is easier to develop for then the PS2 ever was... and look at the success that the PS2 is.

I'm a PS3 owner and couldn't be more please with my purchase. I dont understand why 360 supporters dont like the PS3? It doesn't make sense to me. It's a good system with some seriously great games comming down the pipeline. If you look at it simply as a game console, it has a lot to offer (maybe it only has a couple games worth owning right now, but since when do you need 5-10 games a month to play? Does anyone have THAT much time or money? I dont.) If you look at it as a multimedia system... it has even more to offer. So what's not to like?

avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 avenger_dot
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts
[QUOTE="avenger_dot"]

Having 24 RPG, many JRPG's, 3 strategy games, all new IP's, and adventures that kill like Alan Wake, makes it a surprise comparing to xbox that had only 4 PC rpg's and one of its own, no JRPG's, no adventures that kill etc etc

_Pedro_

someone wasn't old enough to own a ps2 or PSX :|

Yes right !!! I have both, and i still regret selling my PS1 really, but PS2 does a fine job playing old games

Anyway, i was talking for 360, a console only 1 year old, and one that had ZERO JRPG's before or more than 2-3 exclusive rpg's too !!! And a console that was thought by many as a shooter only one, when it is totally untrue, since shooters are the small fraction of 360 lineup this time

Avatar image for secretsaiyan007
secretsaiyan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 secretsaiyan007
Member since 2006 • 4508 Posts
They need to put more efforts on pc gaming. wtf have they done with vista?!
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. Tulak_Hord

Um for one, securing franchises, the xbox had no where near as many. The Xbox on the other hand seemed somewhat indifferent, but it was Japanese Dev's who ignored them. Now, they are getting Japanese support. Honestly they are the ones who seem the most persistent to their fans (look how much they are suffering to get Japan). Sony on the other hand, doesn't give a damn, Nintendo, they carried out their usual plan. MS seems to care the most gamewise.

Nothing new, eh? Did Xbox get S-E support (FFXI blows, but Xbox didn't get jack), How much Capcom support was on Xbox? Did it secure an RE, it got Dino Crisis 3 :roll: The 360 is by far more balanced now, XBLA is now more successful, and so is XBL. Don't even try to downplay the difference, of all the consoles, they have changed the most.

I don't really see how that should make one appreciate MS more. They needed the support anyway and they're lucky that Sony is messing up so badly. The games that the 360 is getting are basically the same games. DOAX was on the Xbox. Rumble Roses XX got a makeover and was moved over to it. Lost Planet is another shooter from Capcom. So they got more support. Good for them cause they needed more games. But what else has MS really brought to the table?

I mean, take it this way. Those games would come out regardless if the 360 exists. They would have gone to either the PS3 or the Wii. Just based on that fact it's really nothing special. MS did a good job of landing those franchises on their console, but is that in itself worthy of appreciation? Well, I do suppose it is if you own the console, but for someone like me who was planning on getting all 3 of them eventually, it's no big deal. I just don't understand what there is to appreciate. I can appreciate Nintendo's efforts cause they're looking to change the way we play, and I've experienced that philosophy and I agree it's a different way of playing. But I don't see how Microsoft has brought anything else to the market.
Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
The people that can't appreciate the new Xbox360 and Microsoft in general are the Playstation fanboys. It's just like the Xbox fanboys don't like the Playstation
REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 REVENGEotSITH
[QUOTE="REVENGEotSITH"]

gsx1100

OK.  I just don't tend to like anything that Nintendo puts out, games-wise.  I will agree with you that Nintendo seems to have a very good understanding of their fan base (kids, casuals, Japanese, etc.).  Not saying that only kids and casuals play Nintendo games, but when it comes to those two demographic groups, Nintendo knows how to sell their products to those two groups. 

As far as the Vista thing - yeah, that kinda sucks for those PC gamers who want to play Halo 2, but you can also look at it as a good business strategy to try to pull people into using Vista.  Still, overall, it seems like MS really reaches out to its user base and the developers to see what they can do to make their system better.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#38 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

MS is doing a great job with the x360.

XBL is amazing even if it costs money.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#39 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

But what else has MS really brought to the table?

.........But I don't see how Microsoft has brought anything else to the market.Zhengi

Xbox Live.

It continues to set the standard for online console gaming.

crazyjames1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 crazyjames1080
Member since 2006 • 7377 Posts
I really am impressed with how much Microsoft is pushing Online Gaming. I may not agree with many of their business practises but XBL at the moment is unparalleled on Consoles.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zhengi

[QUOTE="Zhengi"] But what else has MS really brought to the table?

.........But I don't see how Microsoft has brought anything else to the market.LosDaddie

Xbox Live.

It continues to set the standard for online console gaming.

Live is great, but I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't like to pay to play online. When I do get a 360, I'll probably be doing most of my gaming offline. It's just tough having to cough up money to play when I've played PSO for Dreamcast, battlenet for Starcraft, and Guild Wars for PC for free.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. Zhengi

I don't really see how that should make one appreciate MS more. They needed the support anyway and they're lucky that Sony is messing up so badly. The games that the 360 is getting are basically the same games. DOAX was on the Xbox. Rumble Roses XX got a makeover and was moved over to it. Lost Planet is another shooter from Capcom. So they got more support. Good for them cause they needed more games. But what else has MS really brought to the table?

I mean, take it this way. Those games would come out regardless if the 360 exists. They would have gone to either the PS3 or the Wii. Just based on that fact it's really nothing special. MS did a good job of landing those franchises on their console, but is that in itself worthy of appreciation? Well, I do suppose it is if you own the console, but for someone like me who was planning on getting all 3 of them eventually, it's no big deal. I just don't understand what there is to appreciate. I can appreciate Nintendo's efforts cause they're looking to change the way we play, and I've experienced that philosophy and I agree it's a different way of playing. But I don't see how Microsoft has brought anything else to the market.

How do you know Lost Planet would have come out without the 360? And the fact that they have landed those exclusives is something special, considering this is their second gen in gaming. How in the world is MS securing new IP's not worthy of appreciation?
REVENGEotSITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 REVENGEotSITH
[QUOTE="REVENGEotSITH"]

rabbidcrazy

I got the 20GB system and only paid $499.

As far as Blu-ray being mandatory... so what? Blu-ray isn't hurting the PS3...and if games are already taking up 25GBs of space... then it's not hurting the developers either. If you think it's just for copy protection... maybe it is, but look at Nintendo. Nintendo stayed with carts for N64 and mini-DVD's for GC because of copy protection. Why shouldn't Sony do something similar? At least devs are using the extra space.

Many seem to forget that the PS3 is easier to develop for then the PS2 ever was... and look at the success that the PS2 is.

I'm a PS3 owner and couldn't be more please with my purchase. I dont understand why 360 supporters dont like the PS3? It doesn't make sense to me. It's a good system with some seriously great games comming down the pipeline. If you look at it simply as a game console, it has a lot to offer (maybe it only has a couple games worth owning right now, but since when do you need 5-10 games a month to play? Does anyone have THAT much time or money? I dont.) If you look at it as a multimedia system... it has even more to offer. So what's not to like?

I'm glad you like your PS3 - really, I am.  Your reasoning is solid.  Personally, I want both the PS3 AND the 360 to be successful (with the 360 slightly ahead of the PS3).  Why?  Because I think it will help gaming, overall.  For one of these systems to "flop" would really hurt gaming as a whole and probably cause several development studios to fold. 

Do I see myself owning BOTH a PS3 and a 360?  No.  I am VERY happy with my 360 and the games that I have, the games that are coming, and the future of the console.  That, and my wife would kill me if I bought a second console :)

To me, it comes down to the price of both systems is too high to justify buying both, thus you must make a decision as to which path you want to go down.  I'm a huge fan of shooters and online play with my friends.  The 360 was the obvious choice (also given Halo 3, Gears, GRAW, RSix, Splinter Cell, COD, etc. were all on the 360).

Personally, I am getting a bit tired of the arguments here in system wars.  Bottom line - development costs are just TOO HIGH this generation that we are going to see roughly 80% of all games come out on both the 360 and the PS3.  They may not be released at the same time, but both systems will see the same games 4 out of 5 times.  So what are we arguing about?  The same handful of games (Motorstorm, MGS4, Gears, PDZ, Halo 3, etc.) over and over.  Either that, or we are arguing about some minor differences in the hardware (256 vs 512 Mb RAM, etc.) or some minor differences in multiplat games (less content in Oblivion PS3, etc.). 

To me, its getting pretty old.  System wars was fun when Sony was shooting themselves in the foot and making stupid statement after stupid statement.  Now, its just the same stuff over and over (arguing over #s sold versus #s shipped, etc.). 

anklebreakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 anklebreakr
Member since 2007 • 254 Posts
i don't appreciate the 4-year life span of MS's system.  i don't think any gamer would like that.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]MS really hasn't brought anything new to the table. What have they really done to garner any appreciation? It's basically the same machine with updated power and graphics. Nothing new there that hasn't been done before. They've made steps to appeal to other gamers, but they're still regarded as a shooters console. If they shed themselves of this image, then they'll become more popular. tegovoltio

So that would make the PC a shooters platform as well. It is wrong to say that preferences should generalize a platform, there is only 1 shooter on 360 that intrest me, and it isn't even out yet.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Spartan070
i don't appreciate the 4-year life span of MS's system.  i don't think any gamer would like that.anklebreakr
Why not? I don't mind...
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
Well how come some people can't appreciate what Nintendo has done for gaming? Nintendo gets bashed a lot around here.
pumkinhead22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 pumkinhead22
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts
I agree totally sony needs to do something fast all of my ps2 friends are now xbox 360 friends thank you microsoft (thumb goes up)
Dups79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 Dups79
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
To the topic creator, I fully agree with you. Withmy xbox I was thinking to myself. I wish it had more rpgs and maybe even a few jrpgs. I wish it had more adventure games, more party games for when I have company over, more odd games that are hard to even put in a genre. This is the reason I did not get an xbox 360 at first. I wanted to see what all three companies came up with and delivers. I saw Microsoft cattering A LOT to my previous wishes. The wii has me extremely intruiged but I will wait a while to see if it continues to innovate or if the novelty wears off. The PS3... maybe... just maybe I will get it down the line in 4 or 5 years ... but even then it will still probably be pricy.
RevenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RevenMan
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Yeah its same here i doubt most of the people that have a 360 have owned a xbox before that. Sony need to realize that they cant just go on and slap their fans thats why most of the people that bought a ps2 went to the xbox360.