How can Forza 3 even be classified as a racing simulation?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrgreen108
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

I saw a lot of talk about how Forza 3 is the definitive racing sim of this generation.Last time I checked a simulator was supposed to simulate a real experience not allow you to rewind and fix your poor decision making / driving. If I were driving and lost control im pretty sure my rewind button wouldn't work out too well for me. You should be ashamed of yourself if you classify this as a racing sim, because clearly it is more of an arcade racer than a sim. There is nothing wrong with it being an arcade game but lets just be clear it is one. Lead developer was obesessed with drifting making the physics feel wonky at best, and the precanned damage does nothing for the realism. Forza 3 has a great appeal to a younger 10-16 age group where the thinking is more "its too hard dad" but if I fail to see how this is anything close to a simulation, wouldn't the rewind feature not be included if it was meant to be one?

Edit: The auto steering features can't even be turned off if you want them off hence you are stuck with things like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkxSZoHbYY

Pretty sad racing sim

Another demonstration of the definitive racing sim of this generations physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRE9PlJesn8

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Turn the assists off.

No racing game on consoles are sims.

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
It's just a feature, I don't think Forza was the first to implement it.
mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrgreen108

I get that fact of it, and i do turn assists off when i race most games,and personally i despise the racing line in any game including the fact that GT5 has it but come on, rewind in a racing sim?

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

you just rehashed the same post from a different thread. excellent.

I believe the first poster resolved the issue.

/thread.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

IIRC correctly you can turn it off, much like other assists.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Forza is not a racing simulation,neither is GT. GTR-2,WTCC,iRacing or rFactor are actual simulators,GT and Forza are just a mixed bag of arcade/sim racing.
mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrgreen108

Yes i did rehash my post from an old thread that was locked because no one responded definitively one way or another. I don't see how turning off assists makes it a racing simulation when a rewind feature was included into the game for a reason

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I'm not an expert
I don't follow real racing
I don't own a steering wheel
I can't drive manual

There are millions just like me who just enjoy the cars, graphics and concept. That's what makes Forza so great, its difficulty is open to customization for the hardcore racer down to the casual rather than making it a straight sim and cutting off a large audience from enjoying it.

Avatar image for paranoidpixie95
paranoidpixie95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 paranoidpixie95
Member since 2009 • 2198 Posts

Can you find a more accurate racer on the XBOX than Forza 3? A simulation is meant to provide as close to a realistic experience as possible, not a truly realistic experience. Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 are the clear front runners in the racing market. I would put GT a fraction ahead of Forza 3, but they're both identical and entertaining.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
It defeats the purpose of damage in my opinion. Sure you don't have to use it, but the option is always there and people will use it if the race means enough to them.
mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrgreen108

Can you find a more accurate racer on the XBOX than Forza 3? A simulation is meant to provide as close to a realistic experience as possible, not a truly realistic experience. Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 are the clear front runners in the racing market. I would put GT a fraction ahead of Forza 3, but they're both identical and entertaining.

paranoidpixie95

No I can't say that I can, but I think throwing the term simulation around gives somewhat of a false impression of what to expect when you pick the game up in my opinion.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrgreen108

It defeats the purpose of damage in my opinion. Sure you don't have to use it, but the option is always there and people will use it if the race means enough to them.PS2_ROCKS

I agree with this wholeheartedly

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Console sims aren't simulators when compared to PC sims. But they're not arcade either. Somewhere in the middle.
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts
I am going to laugh when GT5 does not get a 9.5.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
Turn the assists off.Fizzman
Beat me too it!
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
You're complaining about a feature/s that are optional. Just don't use them.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arach666
I am going to laugh when GT5 does not get a 9.5.SilentlyMad
Will it get a 10 then?:o
mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrgreen108

This feature was played up as a major advantage of Forza Motorsports yet I am supposed to ignore this aspect of the game when people call it a serious sim?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

This feature was played up as a major advantage of Forza Motorsports yet I am supposed to ignore this aspect of the game when people call it a serious sim?

mrgreen108

That's the point. It's there for people who don't want the sim experience, and has the ability to be disabled for people who do.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrgreen108

So basically the thinking for Forza 3 was. Ok lets make this game as easy as possible for our younger target audience then if people want to play a serious game they can change off all the easy mode options? So if i want to play reaslistically online is there a place to do that or will all other players be using the auto steering/racing line/abs etc?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lundy86_4

So basically the thinking for Forza 3 was. Ok lets make this game as easy as possible for our younger target audience then if people want to play a serious game they can change off all the easy mode options? So if i want to play reaslistically online is there a place to do that or will all other players be using the auto steering/racing line/abs etc?

mrgreen108

Not sure, but what is shocking about giving options?

I played through Halo Reach and was given the option for difficulty settings. I chose Legendary, and finished it.... But it was damn hard. Easy mode? Walk in the park.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
It's a sticker simulator, they made a typo.
mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrgreen108

It is surprising that they would call it a racing sim with those features implemented is all I am saying. If I couldn't race realistically online and paid for what was hyped up as a realistic driving simulation i would be pretty upset.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4

It is surprising that they would call it a racing sim with those features implemented is all I am saying. If I couldn't race realistically online and paid for what was hyped up as a realistic driving simulation i would be pretty upset.

mrgreen108

I see no reason why it can't.

I guess we're at an impasse at this point. I doubt you'll relinquish your opinion regarding it by this point.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrgreen108

It's a sticker simulator, they made a typo.kuraimen

Yeah it seems like each new forza game is a stop gap for something in the future but so far every game seems like a stop gap since the first. Hence it is Stopgapza the real car painting simulator

Avatar image for paranoidpixie95
paranoidpixie95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 paranoidpixie95
Member since 2009 • 2198 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]It's a sticker simulator, they made a typo.mrgreen108

Yeah it seems like each new forza game is a stop gap for something in the future but so far every game seems like a stop gap since the first. Hence it is Stopgapza the real car painting simulator

Gotta give you credit for that.

Avatar image for i_am_interested
i_am_interested

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 i_am_interested
Member since 2009 • 1077 Posts

its called a "sim" because its closer to a sim than the arcade category which would put it alongside games likes need for speed, burnout, blur, etc where as it definitely doesnt belong alongside those titles

thats how they categorize it, even though it has the permanent assists

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrgreen108

its called a "sim" because its closer to a sim than the arcade category which would put it alongside games likes need for speed, burnout, blur, etc where as it definitely doesnt belong alongside those titles

i_am_interested

I played need for speed shift and I would classify that as an arcade racer, was alright I suppose. It did not seem very realistic but it didn't have a rewind feature either, I haven't played forza for more than 20 mins at gamestop but from what I did play; Need for Speed Shift seemed to be more realistic.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Hey, it sounds like a compliment to me. Racing Simulators=crap IMO.

i_am_interested

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 i_am_interested

[QUOTE="i_am_interested"]

mrgreen108

I played need for speed shift and I would classify that as an arcade racer, was alright I suppose. It did not seem very realistic but it didn't have a rewind feature either, I haven't played forza for more than 20 mins at gamestop but from what I did play; Need for Speed Shift seemed to be more realistic.

i mean all the OTHER need for speeds, the actual need for speeds shift was their first crack at a sim
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Features like rewind don't have anything to do with whether or not a racing game is a simulator, the driving and the way the car handles/reacts are the only things that really matter, everything else are just what differentiates the game from other sims.

That being said, I played the demo at the store for Forza 3, turned off all assists, and it felt far less realistic than Prologue did, as far as handling and traction goes. The damage was very nicely done, and the way it affected the performance and handling of the vehicle was great. But, the driving itself felt more arcadey to me than Prologue, while a damage and its effects were, for obvious reasons, much better than Prologues. Come GT5 there will be a lot of comparisons between the two, but I can't imagine anyone saying the driving part of Forza being better, unless they actually don't like sims that much in the first place. I kind of fall into that category, but if I'm playing a sim, I'd rather it be the most realistic experience possible.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrgreen108

Apparently even if you turn off all the assist features in forza 3 it still has active steering enabled. Turning off the assists just dials them down, does not get rid of them. That is just sad sad sad for a racing simulator. So much for being able to play without them?

Evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkxSZoHbYY

This video makes me feel sorry for people who wanted a realistic racing experience when they bought forza 3.

Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Origami_Kill3r
Member since 2010 • 647 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Console sims aren't simulators when compared to PC sims. But they're not arcade either. Somewhere in the middle.

Does pc even have any racing sims with over the top graphics.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Arach666
[QUOTE="Origami_Kill3r"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]Console sims aren't simulators when compared to PC sims. But they're not arcade either. Somewhere in the middle.

And they say PC gamers are the graphics whores...
mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mrgreen108

You're complaining about a feature/s that are optional. Just don't use them.i5750at4Ghz

There is no choice but to use them apparently.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrgreen108

Funny how all the lemmings disappeared once they got shown evidence of their misinformation. It is funny to me how people said if you don't like the features to turn them off, when even if you do they are just reduced. The funny part is that most of you who said this probably never even attempted to try it.

mrgreen108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrgreen108

I don't think you can Mrgreen. You'd be more accurate calling it a magic carpet simulation than a racing simulation, the physics were that off. As a matter of fact, didn't some guy at Top Gear or some such call Forza the definitive magic carpet simulator? :lol:

Btw, to the guy praising the damage model for this game, are you kidding me? The pre-canned and limited damage is a joke and reacts awkwardly at best. Hell, San Francisco Rush had better damage than this game. rofl

Once GT5 hits, it will be the end of the Stopgapza trilogy. Have fun with your Forza Turning Simulator on Kinect, Lems. :lol:

Amnesiacx

LOL @ Sanfrancisco Rush having better damage. May be true

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
[QUOTE="Arach666"]Forza is not a racing simulation,neither is GT. GTR-2,WTCC,iRacing or rFactor are actual simulators,GT and Forza are just a mixed bag of arcade/sim racing.

Yup, but they're both extremely fun to play imo.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Well so far its been the best racing game i've played this gen... it may not be 'THE' racing simulation game, but it has succeded in balancing simulation & arcade/fun...

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

mrgreen108
see... games need to be able to appeal to EVERYONE. not just a small click of 14 years old that do nothing all day apart from play games and masterbate some people who pick up Forza or GT might only want to play a couple of hours a week, they may never of played a racing game before, they may just not care enough to put in the effort that learning all the track and cars requires. so features like assists, rewind time and racing lines are for these more casual player. OTHER people might want much more of challenge so they have the option to turn these features OFF.
chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

Funny how all the lemmings disappeared once they got shown evidence of their misinformation. It is funny to me how people said if you don't like the features to turn them off, when even if you do they are just reduced. The funny part is that most of you who said this probably never even attempted to try it.

mrgreen108
maybe becuase they are over all the forza hate and are sick of the regurgitating crap that seems to have grasped system wars. lems know the truth and thats that forza is the definitive driving sim of this gen on consoles (pc blows everythingout of the water and its physics and gt5s will be pretty much equal due to console limitations).
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="Origami_Kill3r"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]Console sims aren't simulators when compared to PC sims. But they're not arcade either. Somewhere in the middle.

No that's reserved to the extremely hardcore sims. But graphics don't make a game a simulator. I'd assume someone that plays simulators plays them for the realistic gameplay rather than how pretty they are.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
Ridiculous thread, TC. You know you can turn the feature off. Whats the purpose of even creating this thread? Obviously, they wanted to make the game appeal to a wider audience by giving you options. Why is this so hard to understand? If you want it to be a full sim, turn on full damage and turn all assists off. If you want to have fun with a couple of friends and play bumper cars, turn on cosmetic damage. I don't get it.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
Should be able to adjust your settings.
i_am_interested

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 i_am_interested
Ridiculous thread, TC. You know you can turn the feature off. Whats the purpose of even creating this thread? Obviously, they wanted to make the game appeal to a wider audience by giving you options. Why is this so hard to understand? If you want it to be a full sim, turn on full damage and turn all assists off. If you want to have fun with a couple of friends and play bumper cars, turn on cosmetic damage. I don't get it. lhughey
no, you cant turn it off, thats the point of the video just because the player turns it "off" in the game doesnt mean its completely off, its there, which is why its referred to as a PERMANENT driving aid
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
[QUOTE="lhughey"]Ridiculous thread, TC. You know you can turn the feature off. Whats the purpose of even creating this thread? Obviously, they wanted to make the game appeal to a wider audience by giving you options. Why is this so hard to understand? If you want it to be a full sim, turn on full damage and turn all assists off. If you want to have fun with a couple of friends and play bumper cars, turn on cosmetic damage. I don't get it. i_am_interested
no, you cant turn it off, thats the point of the video just because the player turns it "off" in the game doesnt mean its completely off, its there, which is why its referred to as a PERMANENT driving aid

hmmm, I'll have to give this a try. I never noticed it in Forza2. I'll have to give F3 another try and test this out
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Turn off all assists. Pretty simple!