How Aliens: Colonial Marines Fell Apart (Kotaku)

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

The final version looks a hell of alot better in some scenes and others  look better in the demo.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

i havent played the game yet but i want to know if you can shoot out the lights in this game like avp3 and all these dumbasses on youtube doing walkthroughs never try shooting at the lights lol wtf.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#54 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="megadeth1117"]

The post on Reddit matches what our source has told us, but there's more. When TimeGate took over the project, our source said, they threw out most of what Gearbox had done beforehand. All of the art and design that Gearbox had produced during the previous four years was gone.psymon100

No sympathy. 

So easy to copy files. Give them a copy and retain a backup copy - TimeGate could have destroyed the data and Gearbox would have been OK. 

If this is really what happened, then I've no sympathy whatsoever for them. 100% preventable and there is a whole segment of the IT services market devoted to backing up data. 

I'm pretty sure what they mean is that they were given the stuff Gearbox did and then decided not to use it. Not like they lost it or anything.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

At this point it's everyones fault.

While most of the blame falls on gearbox 

the blame does also fall on timegate and sega.

Sega-Assumingly poured tons and tons of money into the game. They should've at least kept tabs on gearbox to see what they were doing and asking for monthly or bi monthly progress reports rather than leaving gearbox to it's own devices.

Gearbox- While the people solely blaming gearbox and saying they're a crap studio who don't make good games it's asinine. Did they fumble this? Absolutely. Should they have worked solely on aliens rather than wait till the last year or so to out source it? Absolutely. While most of the blame falls on them for taking segas money and running to produce borderlands 2 is absolutely a scummy move. And I agree they should take the brunt of this. But in the end sega should've kept tabs on them. I know a lot of projects take time as we see, but if you're so heavily invested keep tabs on your money and project.

Timegate- Now I don't know where they fall as the news is most cloudy about them. If gearbox really did give them the campaignand they scrapped it, what were they thinking. How often were they talking to gearbox. For timegate it seems like the money is what they were in it for. But again in a structure like this is gearbox should've kept tabs on them.

In the end I do agree that most of the blame does lay on gearbox for doing what they did and marketing it how they marketed it. But in this cluster **** of a mess all three parties are heavily to blame. 

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#56 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It more sounds like Gearbox had too much on their plate and are now suffering the consequences.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

TLDR, but game is awesome.sts106mat

the nile

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Animal-Mother

It more sounds like Gearbox had too much on their plate and are now suffering the consequences.

LegatoSkyheart
Well apparently they were contracted in 2006. Borderlands was what 2009? So it's seemingly obvious what gearbox did. But then 3 years till borderlands 2. Why didn't they just get colonial marines out of the way and produce borderlands? Or right after borderlands? It's obvious they went straight to borderlands 2 and used the production money sega gave them in order to help finance it. While probably using some of it to fund timegate. Stupid move. They should've fulfilled their contractual obligation with sega, came off right after making a great game into another. A:CM would've had a decent amount of hype after borderlands and they would've been free. Instead they made an extremely difficult situation for themselves now.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]TLDR, but game is awesome.tenaka2

the nile

:lol: I understand the overall consensus is "the game is crap" I haven't played it and will wait till a steam sale. But sometimes people enjoy odd things. As hammered as RE6 got, I thoroughly thought it was a fun time. Not $60 dollars. But what can you do?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]TLDR, but game is awesome.sts106mat

the nile

lol, i mean it. i've really enjoyed it so far. a couple of MP matches p1ssed me off last night i thought it was unfair lag, but i realised i was attempting fatalities on game modes that dont support them. I really am enjoying it, 100% truth. getting crysis 3 next which will probably look 2 gens ahead lol

To be honest I am a big Aliens/Giger fan and will prob pick this up in a steam sale at some point.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Animal-Mother
Well apparently they were contracted in 2006. Borderlands was what 2009? So it's seemingly obvious what gearbox did. But then 3 years till borderlands 2. Why didn't they just get colonial marines out of the way and produce borderlands? Or right after borderlands? It's obvious they went straight to borderlands 2 and used the production money sega gave them in order to help finance it. While probably using some of it to fund timegate. Stupid move. They should've fulfilled their contractual obligation with sega, came off right after making a great game into another. A:CM would've had a decent amount of hype after borderlands and they would've been free. Instead they made an extremely difficult situation for themselves now.

Do we really know what happened at GBX when all this went down?
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

clyde46

Do we really know what happened at GBX when all this went down?

What do you mean by that. A lot of my post is assumption as I should have mentioned in it. But it just seems incredibly likely.