honestly...SSBB. explain it to me!

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

prodiqy32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 prodiqy32
Member since 2007 • 1624 Posts

many wii games deserve hype. galaxy, metroid, and in a way zelda were all worth the hype and worth talking about. and i thought zach and wiki was great. but brawl?

what is so special about this game? i keep hearing how deep it is. each fighter has 4 to 9 specials (some just variations of others), there are 3 levels of jumps, dash and air dash, and 2 attack buttons. there are probably 10 to 20 attacks....maybe. mortal kombat is deeper!!! the graphics are bleh! the mario design is old.

its like the strikers of fighting games. brawl is to VF5 and street fighter 3 what strikers is to PE 2007 and FIFA.

PROVE ME WRONG!

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Its incredibly fun with alot more interesting characters than most fighters? I say this because they are not all meant for the fighting genre, where in most fighters each character is just a macho waste of generic space.

Its also like "Anime" type feel to it, unlike most fighters despite the 2D's like street fighter, I dont just mean the character styles, the actual combat ect.

Hard to explain, its just the best fighter out there imo, then again I dislike this genre with a passion.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
fun and top quality.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

many wii games deserve hype. galaxy, metroid, and in a way zelda were all worth the hype and worth talking about. and i thought zach and wiki was great. but brawl?

what is so special about this game? i keep hearing how deep it is. each fighter has 4 to 9 specials (some just variations of others), there are 3 levels of jumps, dash and air dash, and 2 attack buttons. there are probably 10 to 20 attacks....maybe. mortal kombat is deeper!!! the graphics are bleh! the mario design is old.

its like the strikers of fighting games. brawl is to VF5 and street fighter 3 what strikers is to PE 2007 and FIFA.

PROVE ME WRONG!

prodiqy32

Part of it is the Nintendo charisma. Part of it is the fact the controls aren't that complicated--easier for the casuals. Lastly, the colorful and highly-varied nature of the game (in contrast to the grittiness of most fighters) seems to make it a better draw for a party atmosphere (SSBM, along with the Mario Party games, epitomized console party games last gen).

PS. The fact the character's aren't your typical fighter characters seems to help, too--the novelty of it.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
You're right, it is like the Strikers of fighting games. Strikers is better than most of the snorefests... fits Brawl perfectly!
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

If you're a Nintendo fan you should understand. But if you're not... It's dozens of awesome characters slaughtering each other in an epic fighting game! Plus it's characters and levels from dozens of games! Imagine around 20 of your favourite games, smashed together into one disc of awesomeness! That's what Smash is to me.

And the fighting is really deep. Because it's easy to perform each individual move, the strategy comes from when and where to use each one. It's not like the "real" fighting games where whoever can dial a combo the best wins. Yep that's a dumb generalisation from me, but so is all the "button masher" comments from some.

One more thing. Mario Strikers is ****ing hard. I mean I can win at Pro Evo at the top difficulty, but Strikers is still too hard for me. Cute graphics don't mean a thing when it comes to how complex or difficult the game is.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Because, unlike other 2D fighters, Smash is actually fun.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Like any other game it has a fan base. But its made by Nintendo so it has a Nintendo fanbase.

Nintendo fans tend to take games and exaggerate how great they are. So its going to be their favorite fighting game of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I would've just said: it is really fun. Especially when you and at least one friend get really good at it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Like any other game it has a fan base. But its made by Nintendo so it has a Nintendo fanbase.

Nintendo fans tend to take games and exaggerate how great they are. SSBB isn't even a AAA franchise. How its become so popular I'll never know. Its got mario, link, and metroid and its Nintendo's only fighting game. So its going to be their favorite fighting game of course.

Bread_or_Decide

:roll:

It's one of the best franchises to start during the N64 days. Better than Goldeneye. I'd say better than OoT.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I think its the ease of use coupled with its suprisingly deep gameplay. Unlike "hardcore" fighters the average person can compete in SSB almost right from the get-go because of the simple controls. But at the same time the levels, attacks and other gameplay tweaks create a suprising amount of depth, especially in 4 person FFA games.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Nintendo fans tend to take games and exaggerate how great they are. SSBB isn't even a AAA franchise. How its become so popular I'll never know. Its got mario, link, and metroid and its Nintendo's only fighting game. So its going to be their favorite fighting game of course.

Jandurin

It's one of the best franchises to start during the N64 days. Better than Goldeneye. I'd say better than OoT.

Same, and I'm not a nintendo fan nor a fighter fan.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Jandurin

I remember playing it on the N64. It was fun if you had four friends in the room. I wouldn't call it gods gift to gaming. I just hate how nintendo fanboys exaggerate just cause nintendo made ONE fighting game so it has to be the best one ever made? I mean thats how they talk its really ridiculous.

prodiqy32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 prodiqy32
Member since 2007 • 1624 Posts

top quality? made for casuals? the production values may be high (the music excluded going by most nintendo games) but gameplay? its not complicated at all. it is easy to learn. that is the problem. i admit i only had melee for a little more then a month but it was played. all my friends, guys and girls, would just jump around like flys, laugh a little, then after 20 min. put in something else. this is one of those games that i think people hype and pretend they love cause they feel they supposed to. like the lems with halo and cows with killzone.

but this game shouldnt be compared with games like VF. soul calibur, or dead or alive, or even capcoms 2D fighters. it doesnt have the depth, technology, or skill to back it up.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
I think its the ease of use coupled with its suprisingly deep gameplay. Unlike "hardcore" fighters the average person can compete in SSB almost right from the get-go because of the simple controls. But at the same time the levels, attacks and other gameplay tweaks create a suprising amount of depth, especially in 4 person FFA games.PBSnipes
Not only that, it was something that more people could enjoy. Older kids could have fun playing a Mario, Pikachu, the Ice Climbers, or whatever, so you had more potential players to play with. I like SSB simply because it's different.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Bread_or_Decide

I remember playing it on the N64. It was fun if you had four friends in the room. I wouldn't call it gods gift to gaming. I just hate how nintendo fanboys exaggerate just cause nintendo made ONE fighting game so it has to be the best one ever made? I mean thats how they talk its really ridiculous.

What about people who genuinley think it is more fun than any other fighting franchise? :I

Akuma88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Akuma88
Member since 2004 • 285 Posts
Because SSB games are fun. What else do you need?
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide

top quality? made for casuals? the production values may be high (the music excluded going by most nintendo games) but gameplay? its not complicated at all. it is easy to learn. that is the problem. i admit i only had melee for a little more then a month but it was played. all my friends, guys and girls, would just jump around like flys, laugh a little, then after 20 min. put in something else. this is one of those games that i think people hype and pretend they love cause they feel they supposed to. like the lems with halo and cows with killzone.

but this game shouldnt be compared with games like VF. soul calibur, or dead or alive, or even capcoms 2D fighters. it doesnt have the depth, technology, or skill to back it up.

prodiqy32

Be warned you will now be flamed for daring to say SSBB is not deep. I mean we all know its not. But teh fans....they'll show you videos of people jumping around...then hitting people off screen. And they'll be shocked your not impressed.

Tis the Smash Bros. cycle.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eponique

prodiqy32

Let's see, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

prodiqy32

My friends and I, on the other hand, would pop it in and ignore a party for hours on end, because we couldn't help but play 1 more match. Anyone who pretends to like a game should be shot, same as someone who bashes a game because it's on a different system.

Fanboys. :roll: (that was directed at these hypothetical folk, and not you)

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Meu2k7

What about people who genuinley think it is more fun than any other fighting franchise? :I

I don't think they truly played any other franchise then.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
All you need to do is play the game or watch pro vids.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Eponique
[QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Bread_or_Decide

Be warned you will now be flamed for daring to say SSBB is not deep. I mean we all know its not. But teh fans....they'll show you videos of people jumping around...then hitting people off screen. And they'll be shocked your not impressed.

Yes, because continuously pushing the Square button is much deeper.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Meu2k7

Nope. That makes you a Nintendo fanboy. To the gallows!
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Eponique

Great job backing up your statements.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
[QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Bread_or_Decide

So you are saying that SSBB is for Nintendo fans

What Halo is for Xbox fans?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Eponique

Yes, because continuously pushing the Square button is much deeper.

You push the square button in alot of games. You'll need to elaborate on your criticism. Let's start by naming a game and go from there.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eponique
[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Bread_or_Decide

Great job backing up your statements.

And you're better? Just look at your posts.

stika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 stika
Member since 2005 • 2628 Posts

PROVE ME WRONG!

prodiqy32

personally i think this will be the best fighting game around, and i dont even own a Wii

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

HarlockJC

Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 yoshi-lnex

prodiqy32
Just because you apparently don't know anything about the game does not mean it's not deep. Consider how the competitive smash scene is much larger than with any other fighting game. Now would that happen if the game was not incredibly deep?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.Bread_or_Decide
bull****

Some game has to be the best ever for some people, and it will be different for each.

I enjoy each and every game equally = someone who doesn't play games.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 yoshi-lnex
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Bread_or_Decide

Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.

and not relizing how deep the game is just tells us you don't know much about it.....
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Eponique

Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.Bread_or_Decide

I see, I have to hate SSBB to be uber harcore :roll:

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Bread_or_Decide

I don't think they truly played any other franchise then.

Then you would be wrong :)

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide

Eponique

Umm...I see some well written stuff. I love my posts.

But we can enjoy my posts all day long but that is not for this thread.

Back to Smash Bros. I've heard every argument for its greatness and I just don't buy it. It comes mostly from fanboys. Heck even critics have been mixed on the franchises first two games. Good not great. Liked not loved. I remember XPlay raising an eyebrow as to how this game is so beloved amongst its fans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Back to Smash Bros. I've heard every argument for its greatness and I just don't buy it.Bread_or_Decide
I think Bioshock is a terrible game. Some people love it. Does that make them wrong?
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

prodiqy32
You're comparing apples to oranges. SSB isn't about deep combos and 200 page move lists, its about fun, pick up and play gameplay. What you're doing is akin to ripping Burnout because it isn't as deep as Forza.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

yoshi-lnex

and not relizing how deep the game is just tells us you don't know much about it.....

Yup. Here it comes. Go ahead link me to some vids of people throwing eachother off screen over and over again.

Then do the eye roll smiley face. Blah blah blah.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Brawl is as much of a fighting game as mortal kombat.

See you'd think theres 3 level of jumps/2 attack buttons.. but really.

You can do 6 levels of A attacks (Tap the stick slightly, tap stick towards direction hard), 3 B move attacks, air dodges, side dodges, recovering, ledge hogging, wave dashing and more

its actually a simple, yet deep, fighter.

once you get good, its really fun.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.Jandurin

bull****

Some game has to be the best ever for some people, and it will be different for each.

Yeah but it can't be coincidence that Smash Bros. fans think their game is the best ever. Cause it's the only fighting game they probably have ever played. Cause its the only one Nintendo has ever made.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 yoshi-lnex
[QUOTE="yoshi-lnex"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Bread_or_Decide

Yup. Here it comes. Go ahead link me to some vids of people throwing eachother off screen over and over again.

Here's a vid of two top North American players

But I think you're a bit too close minded to the possibility of it being a deep fighter at this point sooooo :roll:

If you really don't understand how their play is different than normal play, I could explain it to you.....

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eponique
and not relizing how deep the game is just tells us you don't know much about it.....Bread_or_Decide

You're too narrow-minded to bother with.

vdastampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 vdastampede
Member since 2003 • 807 Posts
I think it's special because it's the most fun fighter I've ever played.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.Bread_or_Decide

bull****

Yeah but it can't be coincidence that Smash Bros. fans think their game is the best ever. Cause it's the only fighting game they probably have ever played. Cause its the only one Nintendo has ever made.

What a coincidence. FANS of Smash Brothers... think their game... is the best?

Like, you're saying... MGS ... FANS... think their series is the best ever? Boy, I never would've made the connection.

Greencrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Greencrash
Member since 2005 • 886 Posts

PROVE ME WRONG!

prodiqy32
you dont sound like you've played any smash games, if not you should it's really fun and if you have i guess your one of the few that did not like it. i'm guessing it is because some have been waiting for over 5 years for a new smash game, plus it's one of the top sellers for the gamecube, it's in many top 5 games for the gamecube along with resident evil 4 and Metroid prime/2, so with that background, many expect nothing less than a good quality game.... plus it has 3rd party characters.... like snake :)
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]Calling Smash Bros. incredibly deep, the best fighter, or the best game ever makes you a fanboy. Enjoying a game moderatly without such nonsense makes you a gamer.Bread_or_Decide

bull****

I've played smash, mortal kombat (all my life, literally from MK2 for SNES to MK Armegeddon), Soul calibur 2, Tekken 1-5, and VF5.

i can honestly say i have the most fun with Smash. Thats pure fun though. It's a very different type of fighting game though.. Honestly, all those fighting games are great so i dont really care .. but i just have the most fun with smash games.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bread_or_Decide
Here's a vid of two top North American players

But I think you're a bit too close minded to the possibility of it being a deep fighter at this point sooooo :roll:

If you really don't understand how their play is different than normal play, I could explain it to you.....

yoshi-lnex

Yup. Did I call it or what.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
depth is not measured by how many moves a character has. if that were true othello would be a very shallow game.