HDTV vs SDTV

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameHog9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GameHog9
Member since 2008 • 1052 Posts

I keep rading in the Mass Effect Section that HD is messy on certain games on Xboxes. I wouldnt know because I only have a PS3 and i havent tried out HD on that, but some say its ovely complicated to configure. I dont know.

I play games on my SDTV and think they look great. No hassle, no grain filters, nothing complicated: simple and fun. Then again I havent tried HD. Input from anyone?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61536 Posts

Huh? Dependant on the 360 you are using, the older models have a little switch on the end of the cable to switch between HD and SD. Really easy

edit: also once you go HD, you never go back

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I have never encountered a "messy" looking game on a 48" HDTV I own.

Halo 3, Halo Wars, Gears of War 1 and 2, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and Banjo Kazooie.

None of those look messy on the tv. Possibly bad wiring?

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

HD > SD

you ever try reading text in Dead Rising on a SDTV? I felt like gauging my eyes out.... that's when I got my first HDTV :P

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
HD should almost always look better than SD
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
HD saved Bioshock for me. It was not as fun on an SDTV.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lundy86_4

HD > SD

you ever try reading text in Dead Rising on a SDTV? I felt like gauging my eyes out.... that's when I got my first HDTV :P

FragTycoon

Lol, even worse one the bubble screened and not the flat screen, because the image would degrade the closer you got to the corner... where all the freaking text was

Avatar image for deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
deactivated-619c4c1a1a382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
Member since 2005 • 4956 Posts
Well you have a ps3 try reading the type on the right side of the page detailing what you got on an SDTV in MGS4
PCgamer687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PCgamer687
Member since 2009 • 156 Posts

HD is a huge jump, not only is the resolution much higher but most HDTVs have amazing features to enhance your picture. i have my PS3 hooked up with highspeed HDMI v1.3 to my Sony 52' XBR4 and it uses feature like X.V. colour, and HDMI superwhite. Though better HDTVs make the games look much better, my XBR4 is an insane HDTV, but a friend of mine got a Sony 55' XBR8 and PS3 gameson his TV look even better than on my XBR4.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
[QUOTE="GameHog9"]

I keep rading in the Mass Effect Section that HD is messy on certain games on Xboxes. I wouldnt know because I only have a PS3 and i havent tried out HD on that, but some say its ovely complicated to configure. I dont know.

I play games on my SDTV and think they look great. No hassle, no grain filters, nothing complicated: simple and fun. Then again I havent tried HD. Input from anyone?

HD is good, but get a 720p
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9165 Posts

HD is a huge jump, not only is the resolution much higher but most HDTVs have amazing features to enhance your picture. i have my PS3 hooked up with highspeed HDMI v1.3 to my Sony 52' XBR4 and it uses feature like X.V. colour, and HDMI superwhite. Though better HDTVs make the games look much better, my XBR4 is an insane HDTV, but a friend of mine got a Sony 55' XBR8 and PS3 gameson his TV look even better than on my XBR4.

PCgamer687

is your HDTV 120hz?

have you calibrated your HDTV?

im guessing thats why your friends' HDTV picture quality looks better.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ogvampire

[QUOTE="GameHog9"]

Franko_3

not if the TV is over 40 inches...

720p is good for TV's under 40', you cant really see a difference between that and 1080p

but if its over 40 inches, the difference is quite apparent

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Franko_3"][QUOTE="GameHog9"]

720p is good for TV's under 40', you cant really see a difference between that and 1080p

Problem is that 1080p is only useful if you want to view blu-ray in all it's glory... Not really worth the extra $. Tv is 720p and most game are 720p.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="Franko_3"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

HD is good, but get a 720pFranko_3

Problem is that 1080p is only useful if you want to view blu-ray in all it's glory... Not really worth the extra $. Tv is 720p and most game are 720p.

A 720p TV is not really future proof though.
PCgamer687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCgamer687

[QUOTE="PCgamer687"]

ogvampire

is your HDTV 120hz?

you dont know TVs very well do you? the XBR8 is better than the Elite Kuros, its just a much better picture than the XBR4, and yeah the XBR4 is 120hz...

XBR4:

XBR8:

trust me the XBR8 is just a better TV

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Franko_3"] HD is good, but get a 720pFranko_3

TC said he has a ps3....he will be able to take advantage of the 1080p resolution

also, HDTV's last for at least 7 years (usually more), im sure at some point a blu-ray player will be as common as a DVD player...

Jack_Bauer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jack_Bauer07
Member since 2006 • 1141 Posts

HD is so much better than SD. But be warned, once you make the switch, it'll be hard to go back if you ever need to.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="PCgamer687"]

PCgamer687

is your HDTV 120hz?

also, i saw the kuro... im not impressed. i still think the samsung 7 series and sony xbr's look better

you dont know TVs very well do you? the XBR8 is better than the Elite Kuros, its just a much better picture than the XBR4, and yeah the XBR4 is 120hz...

XBR4:

XBR8:

actually i know alot about HDTVs, but my expertise is in their features and uses, not model numbers. except for samsung, i know alot about those.

the only difference in picture quality would be the contrast ratio. so it shouldnt be that much of a difference. also, when it comes to 'xbr' or '6 series' tvs, the difference in price is usually features that have little to do with picture quality besides the contrast ratio.

like i said, you should look into calibrating your tv

grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 grr320
Member since 2009 • 961 Posts

sdtv looks better because you cant see imperfections as good i mean the whole game isnt as crisp because lower resolution but the low res almostadds a blur so covers bad textures up kinda lol.

PCgamer687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PCgamer687
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="PCgamer687"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

is your HDTV 120hz?

XBR4:

XBR8:

actually i know alot about HDTVs, but my expertise is in Samsung TV's, not Sony TV's.

the only difference in picture quality would be the contrast ratio. so it shouldnt be that much of a difference. also, when it comes to 'xbr' or '6 series' tvs, the difference in price is usually features that have little to do with picture quality besides the contrast ratio.

XBR8 does the best blacks has a much beter contrast ratio, and uses a much newer version of Motion Flow, but XBR8 is a $7000 tv this year, and my XBR4 cost $4000 last year when i got it. and contrast ratio is not the only difference.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4

sdtv looks better because you cant see imperfections as good i mean the whole game isnt as crisp because lower resolution but the low res almost bads a blur so covers bad textures up kinda lol.

grr320

lol but if you have an awesome looking game you don't need to. Although if you see some parts in Star Ocean it makes me want to cringe... why oh why did they use such crappy textures

grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 grr320
Member since 2009 • 961 Posts

[QUOTE="grr320"]

sdtv looks better because you cant see imperfections as good i mean the whole game isnt as crisp because lower resolution but the low res almost bads a blur so covers bad textures up kinda lol.

lundy86_4

lol but if you have an awesome looking game you don't need to. Although if you see some parts in Star Ocean it makes me want to cringe... why oh why did they use such crappy textures

It actually depends on the game some games look better on hdtv some better on sdtv no bs lol.

i remember dev's saying this also, but i noticed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
37 inch and smaller get a 720p, if any larger then that get a 1080p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="grr320"]

grr320

It actually depends on the game some games look better on hdtv some better on sdtv no bs lol.

i remember dev's saying this also, but i noticed it.

the hdtv shows details that are un noticeably on a sdtv, therefor making it look better
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

HD > SD

FragTycoon
Omg, that was awful. I pretty much disallow my ps3 to be plugged into sd, unless its the only option.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
[QUOTE="FragTycoon"]

HD > SD

tirralirra
Omg, that was awful. I pretty much disallow my ps3 to be plugged into sd, unless its the only option.

lost planet on a sd is worse
Avatar image for WhySoSerious300
WhySoSerious300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 WhySoSerious300
Member since 2009 • 752 Posts

[QUOTE="tirralirra"][QUOTE="FragTycoon"]

HD > SD

SAGE_OF_FIRE

lost planet on a sd is worse

Agreed. Same with Gears 2. Gears 2 is just amazing when played on an HDTV, especially when playing MP in the map canals :P

PCgamer687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PCgamer687

[QUOTE="PCgamer687"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

actually i know alot about HDTVs, but my expertise is in Samsung TV's, not Sony TV's.

ogvampire

XBR8 does the best blacks has a much beter contrast ratio, and uses a much newer version of Motion Flow, but XBR8 is a $7000 tv this year, and my XBR4 cost $4000 last year when i got it. and contrast ratio is not the only difference.

calibrate your HDTV, the picture quality will be much better. especially for xbr's, my friend got one and the factory settings are not good. it can use some adjusting

but your tv's 'black' adjust is not that much lower than the xbr8. when they say is has 'deeper blacks', it usually means it is tested with a calibrating machine, meaning most of the time the average person cannot tell a difference.

oy... i know if i tweak my TV it can look a bit better but the XBR8 is jus ta much better tv contrast ratio of 30,000:1 (XBR4) vs 1,000,000:1 (XBR8) standard backlight vs LED backlight the XBR8 is the best HDTV on the market, and can beat the Kuro Elite in many ways. and ive seen the XBR8 in action, and its much better than my XBR4

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="PCgamer687"] XBR8 does the best blacks has a much beter contrast ratio, and uses a much newer version of Motion Flow, but XBR8 is a $7000 tv this year, and my XBR4 cost $4000 last year when i got it. and contrast ratio is not the only difference.PCgamer687

calibrate your HDTV, the picture quality will be much better. especially for xbr's, my friend got one and the factory settings are not good. it can use some adjusting

but your tv's 'black' adjust is not that much lower than the xbr8. when they say is has 'deeper blacks', it usually means it is tested with a calibrating machine, meaning most of the time the average person cannot tell a difference.

oy... i know if i tweak my TV it can look a bit better but the XBR8 is jus ta much better tv contrast ratio of 30,000:1 (XBR4) vs 1,000,000:1 (XBR8) standard backlight vs LED backlight the XBR8 is the best HDTV on the market, and can beat the Kuro Elite in many ways. and ive seen the XBR8 in action, and its much better than my XBR4

the xbr8 is a top-of-the-line hdtv, no doubt about that, but even with its insane contrast ratio you can still get a very very comparable picture with your xbr4.

the xbr4 is no slouch, the picture quality is amazing

the one thing i hate about HDTV's now-a-days is that when you buy one, a new model with even better picture comes out a few months later... so annoying

contrast ratio will only get bigger, and the new 240hz tv's are on their way...

Avatar image for UndertakerVsHBK
UndertakerVsHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UndertakerVsHBK
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts
HDTV is so awesome. I remember when I first got one for myself
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Played MGS4 first time through on an SDTV, it looked ok. Played it again recently just to see what it would look like on my HDTV, and man does it make a difference.
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts

[QUOTE="Franko_3"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

TC said he has a ps3....he will be able to take advantage of the 1080p resolution

also, HDTV's last for at least 7 years (usually more), im sure at some point a blu-ray player will be as common as a DVD player...

Actually, the PS3 has fewer games in 1080p than the 360. I get that flicker when my PS3 switches from 1080p to 720p, which is on quite a few games. Obviously, you can take advantage of 1080p blu-ray on the PS3, which is the only source now that does true (not upconverted) 1080p consistently. And HD gaming smokes SD gaming. My games came alive when I got my HDTV.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

HD is so much better than SD. But be warned, once you make the switch, it'll be hard to go back if you ever need to.

Jack_Bauer07
I switch between SD and HD all the time.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

HD saved Bioshock for me. It was not as fun on an SDTV.musicalmac

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Franko_3"] Problem is that 1080p is only useful if you want to view blu-ray in all it's glory... Not really worth the extra $. Tv is 720p and most game are 720p.romans828_2002

Actually, the PS3 has fewer games in 1080p than the 360. I get that flicker when my PS3 switches from 1080p to 720p, which is on quite a few games. Obviously, you can take advantage of 1080p blu-ray on the PS3, which is the only source now that does true (not upconverted) 1080p consistently. And HD gaming smokes SD gaming.My games came alive when I got my HDTV.

really? hm... i would have thought the opposite considering that the 360 could not do native 1080p until it added an hdmi output, even then it would need games to be native 1080p, not upscaled

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

720p is good but if you have no choice but to go standard def you can get a starndard lcd tv not a hd one but standard def games look beter on it.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#39 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

HD > SD

FragTycoon
Very true and once you go HD you never go back.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TX360
[QUOTE="Jack_Bauer07"]

ArisShadows
I switch between SD and HD all the time.

Why?
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TX360
HDTV is so awesome. I remember when I first got one for myselfUndertakerVsHBK
Yeh it was a great day mine was cheap but it never stopped me loving HD and soon after i bought a Sony bravia and have never looked back.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ogvampire

720p is good but if you have no choice but to go standard def you can get a starndard lcd tv not a hd one but standard def games look beter on it.

Bigboss232

i think they call that an 'edtv' (enhanced definition), i think its highest resolution is 480p

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts

[QUOTE="romans828_2002"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

Actually, the PS3 has fewer games in 1080p than the 360. I get that flicker when my PS3 switches from 1080p to 720p, which is on quite a few games. Obviously, you can take advantage of 1080p blu-ray on the PS3, which is the only source now that does true (not upconverted) 1080p consistently. And HD gaming smokes SD gaming.My games came alive when I got my HDTV.

really? hm... i would have thought the opposite considering that the 360 could not do native 1080p until it added an hdmi output, even then it would need games to be native 1080p, not upscaled

I've bought up a bunch of PS3 games lately, and the vast majority of them are only 720p. I don't own a 360 title that is not 1080p. To be fair, I'm sure that it is upscaled 1080p (on both systems, for the most part). Regardless, the PS3 has underutilized the 1080p that it promised. I've also found that when the PS3 does do 1080p (think Bioshock, where the devs flat out said to play the game in 720p), it actually looks worse and runs worse. I have a couple of PS3 games that do this. In the end, I usually just play games in 720p.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
HD by far. i played on a SD tv before i got HD. i barrowed my friend's dead rising from him. played it once since i could barely read what otto was saying. GTA 4 is another one that i was mad about. when the cellphone had a text i barely could read that also. it was readable. One day i said screw this i went out to buy a HDtv so i can read things. i am happy now that it is nice and read able.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="romans828_2002"] Actually, the PS3 has fewer games in 1080p than the 360. I get that flicker when my PS3 switches from 1080p to 720p, which is on quite a few games. Obviously, you can take advantage of 1080p blu-ray on the PS3, which is the only source now that does true (not upconverted) 1080p consistently. And HD gaming smokes SD gaming.My games came alive when I got my HDTV.romans828_2002

I've bought up a bunch of PS3 games lately, and the vast majority of them are only 720p. I don't own a 360 title that is not 1080p. To be fair, I'm sure that it is upscaled 1080p (on both systems, for the most part).Regardless, the PS3 has underutilized the 1080p that it promised. I've also found that when the PS3 does do 1080p (think Bioshock, where the devs flat out said to play the game in 720p), it actually looks worse and runs worse. I have a couple of PS3 games that do this. In the end, I usually just play games in 720p.

that is for sure. i think there are only a few native 1080p games... wipeoutHD and top spin 3 are the only ones that come to mind

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
i dont know where your reading this but its rubbish..
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

I wish I had played viva Pinata on an HDTV

My eyes they burn THEY BURN :cry:!!!

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

actually i know alot about HDTVs, but my expertise is in their features and uses, not model numbers. except for samsung, i know alot about those.

There's more to image quality than the contrast ratio listed on the bogus stats TV manufacturers put out there. The difference between the XBR8 and the XBR4 - even with both professionally calibrated - is night and day. I'm a huge AVS enthusiast - I have a freakin' theater setup in my house. If you're still looking at the stats on the box and going "there's no difference", you're not yet in the realm of professional AV. And that's fine - there's nothing wrong with that - but it's not a good idea to put info out there that isn't accurate. Sony's top-of-the-line sets use higher quality panels, better circuitry, better image processing, conform to tighter standards, calibrate to a truer image quality, and produce an overall *more impressive picture*. Side-by-side, both calibrated, the XBR8 looks better. - Of course if you're serious about home theater - you simply need to set up a theater room and a proper projector. I cannot describe in words the image quality difference between a high-end digital projector in a proper theater room versus a 42" ~ 50" set. Not knocking the set, just saying, there's a differnece between dedicating a room to theater and throwing a TV on a stand. I can get into the technical details, I mean, we can sit here with a light meter and testing equipment, but it will save us both some time if you're willing to understand that there's more to high-end gear than just "a few extra settings".
silverammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 silverammo
Member since 2006 • 905 Posts

sdtv suck hdtv better period. its actually not a hassle setting it up.