Have you ever cheesed a boss fight just to win?

• 59 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45241 Posts

I admit that when I played the original Demon's Souls, I cheesed Tower Knight. I basically found a spot he couldn't get me and shot arrows all day lol. When I played the Remake, I ended up doing the same thing lmao, but I definitely want to redo it. I want to win a legit way, with skill! But yes, I've cheesed bosses before. Sadly when I first played Bloodborne, my game was suffering from a memory glitch in which the bosses became idol, with very little action. I didn't know at the time what was going on, but I took advantage of it and won lol. I ended up doing that for like the first half of the game.

How about you, SW? Have you ever cheesed a boss just to win?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The skulls in MGSV. I ran into an open shed and realized they couldn't get in so I put my controller down and went to eat while I let Quiet and my attack chopper finish them off.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9864 Posts

The massive Batmobile fight in Arkham Knight outside the Police station. There is this weird spot behind a “shed” where you are safe. Had to do it to keep my sanity 😂

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

I don't know why but for some reason I read it as "have you ever cheesed your boss" and I was like "Hmmm wonder what that means" like, you know, your boss from work.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yes, I hate most boss fights. Generally I find them poorly designed (bullet sponge, core mechanics you've learned to use stop being viable, etc) and disruptive to the flow of the game. If I can beat the boss on a few tries I'm good, but if it becomes a big issue it's either cheese it or ditch the game. I don't have time for gaming to not be fun

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

YES! Maneater in Demon's Souls, played it online and saw other players using the same method I used as well, hiding away on the side of the bridge, on that ledge, like a big coward. That fight was shit.

Edit: Tower Knight was fairly easy, buuuut I youtubed the best strategies to most boss fights in the game. I don't like to be frustrated for too long lol. I did kill them all by myself though.

Felixkoch2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Felixkoch2312
Member since 2021 • 19 Posts

Indeed, I scorn most manager battles. By and large I discover them inadequately planned (shot wipe, center mechanics you've figured out how to utilize quit being feasible, and so on) and troublesome to the progression of the game. On the off chance that I can beat the manager on a couple of attempts I'm acceptable, yet on the off chance that it turns into a major issue it's either cheddar it or dump the game. I don't possess energy for gaming to not be enjoyable

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Epak_ said:

YES! Maneater in Demon's Souls, played it online and saw other players using the same method I used as well, hiding away on the side of the bridge, on that ledge, like a big coward. That fight was shit.

Edit: Tower Knight was fairly easy, buuuut I youtubed the best strategies to most boss fights in the game. I don't like to be frustrated for too long lol. I did kill them all by myself though.

lol, I think I cheesed Maneater back in the day too.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Second boss in DS remastered. It's really badly designed. So I cheesed going up the stairs and hitting it in the head.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

If the devs didn't want me to take the expedient route possible to progress, why did they leave it there?

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: It isn't cheese if it works. 😁

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

I pretty much always cheese Shao Kahn.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

I know I have, just can't remember which.

I don't get the need to cheese demon's souls bosses. Especially compared to later souls games, the bosses are so easy.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

There was a boss on doom 2016 that got stuck behind a pillar not my fault but took advantage.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Not really, if I win I tend to prefer to do so legitimately, otherwise I don't feel like I earned the win. It's also why I tend not to use cheats or OP mods in games as well.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

father gascione on bloodborne. the dude is very tough early on.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Heck yeah, if I'm having a problem with a boss I'll look it up to see if there's a way to cheese the fight.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I admit that when I played the original Demon's Souls, I cheesed Tower Knight. I basically found a spot he couldn't get me and shot arrows all day lol. When I played the Remake, I ended up doing the same thing lmao, but I definitely want to redo it. I want to win a legit way, with skill! But yes, I've cheesed bosses before. Sadly when I first played Bloodborne, my game was suffering from a memory glitch in which the bosses became idol, with very little action. I didn't know at the time what was going on, but I took advantage of it and won lol. I ended up doing that for like the first half of the game.

How about you, SW? Have you ever cheesed a boss just to win?

Yup, as far as I'm concerned, cheesing is a valid strategy! :D

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

Yeah. The most egregious has to be a Souls boss, either Four Kings or Maneater from DeS, I only generally remember giving up and summoning to get past them.

Actually, two other examples: Ceaseless Discharge (DS) and Demon of Hatred (Sekiro). The latter you can kite off the map, which by that point in Sekiro I was eager to do after hate-playing the previous 10-20 hours.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

I'm surprised as hell that just about every person here is actually telling the truth... lol. That can be rare around these parts. That said, anyone who says they have never cheesed a boss fight at one point or another that has played games for decades like most of us have here are full of shit... lol. It's the old you're a liar if you say you've never lied routine.

Most recently I would say the "bosses", if you want to view them as so, that I've cheesed were in AC Valhalla. Occasionally on some of the harder named fights you can get them stuck in a corner and they get stuck in a crouch and can't move. I don't know if it always works (or if it's a legit strat for the zealots and isn't cheese) since I don't look up strategies or easy ways to win, but I did accidently have it happen twice so far during my playing time with the game so far.

Once I was one hit from dying and took the last quarter of his health and the 2nd time I was clearly already winning the fight, but took half his life or so. I probably won't do it again if I can, but both times I think I was just in the right place at the right time.

Either way I almost always play games on the hardest difficulty level and don't use guides (unless I am stuck for a long time) so when things present themselves like this I figure they were meant to be... lol.

Don't even get me started on Mario Maker games... the hot stinky cheese is wonderful.. lol. (technically there are boss fights in the game, and on many of the more difficult levels the level creators leave ways to cheese the hell out of their levels).

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

I generally dislike boss fights, so I will do anything to get them over with quickly.. I often look for flaws in a boss' AI when I try to beat him.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39180 Posts

lol of course. people who haven't cheesed any, haven't played many games in their life.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#24 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

yea a few of the mini-bosses in Sekiro. I think that is the only game where I actively looked up cheese strats online because I was so bad at the parrying system.

needless to say i didn't finish the game

probably a few others as well but nothing springs to mind immidiately

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

It's a valid tactic, like phosphorus.

In Call Of Duty.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Yeah in Symphony of the Night. I used the Shield Rod + Alucard Shield move against the giant dinosaur thing in the inverted castle.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39180 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

yea a few of the mini-bosses in Sekiro. I think that is the only game where I actively looked up cheese strats online because I was so bad at the parrying system.

needless to say i didn't finish the game

probably a few others as well but nothing springs to mind immidiately

Important question. Have you ever cheesed anything in an AssCreed game, one of your fav franchises 🙃

Nvm, i will answer my own question. Why would anyone bother cheesing in AssCreed when these games are so easy that it feels like they're made for people that have never held a controller in their life. 😊

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Almost every Souls boss. Feels like they're meant to be cheesed by using the optimal spells, weapons, techniques.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@judaspete said:

I pretty much always cheese Shao Kahn.

I side kicked spammed the shit out of him in MK2 lol.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

There a boss fight fairly early on in Nioh - it was a human and I could just keep hitting him with a special attack from the kusarigama and he was defenseless against it ... I probably died a million times to the previous bosses , so i was like if you're not going to stop me from doing this I'll just keep going.

I summoned against the gargoyles in Dark Souls remastered. When i realized i was about to win I was like " Wait not like this" but it was already too late - I will go back and do that one solo at some point.

The hunter trio in bloodborne. I'm gonna say that fight was BS so I don't feel bad. I did the thing where you go lock yourself inside a cell.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

lol, more times than I can count.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
@rzxv04 said:

Almost every Souls boss. Feels like they're meant to be cheesed by using the optimal spells, weapons, techniques.

I'll watch speedrunners just wreck them at Soul Level 1....I am not one of those folks. I use any method I can with those bosses.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Never, example: there is this cheese way to defeat Lok on hard boiled difficulty on Stranglehold, and yet i won't use it, im still stuck on Lok.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidGame_basic  Online

@i_p_daily said:

Never, example: there is this cheese way to defeat Lok on hard boiled difficulty on Stranglehold, and yet i won't use it, im still stuck on Lok.

Use Game Genie

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

I can't remember any specific bosses, but I know damn well i've cheesed a few over the years. It becomes more and more prevalent when you have less time to game, and a shitty boss stands in the way of you progressing.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

lol of course. people who haven't cheesed any, haven't played many games in their life.

Pretty much. Or at least not a lot of classic console/arcade games.

So many bosses in gaming are poorly designed, especially in a lot of older games. Finding an exploit to fight bullshit with bullshit ends up being the solve, often a necessity.

You have stuff like fighting games, (especially in arcades) where end bosses are notoriously shite. Usually had to drop anything that resembles skillful play and try to catch them in some loop.

Just about any game that allows for min/max builds is gonna have its cheese moments.

If it's a good boss that just happens to have cracks in the system, won't exploit that.

Luckily these "quarter eating" system ignoring spam bosses are pretty rare these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: On the 360?

Besides i remember those from back in the Mega Drive days, never owned one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

Of course. Not much comes to mind, though. Someone mentioned Shao Khan, and yeah. You pretty much have to cheese that guy.

I personally don't cheese bosses unless they force me to by either being really freaking hard or just force me to do the same attack over and over because it's the only thing that works.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15945 Posts

FFX I think I payed 100m gil for Yojimbo to fuckoff (OHKO) Penance. Penance is the hardest boss of the game so I grinded to max stat (255) on every character, even luck +accuracy stat is maxed and with all weapon sigil+crest unlocked and best armor combo but **** it I am cheesing.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#41 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I’d think we all at some point have exploited a glitch or cheesed a boss somewhere in history. I remember how I beat the main boss in KOTOR 2, or that dragon on the bridge in the original dark souls. One arrow at a time...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Yeah I did a few speed runs of Dark Souls and learned a bunch of boss cheese.

@getyeryayasout said:

You cheddar believe it! Sometimes I don't feel like getting gouda.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@pyro1245:

It's crazy how sick a Dark Souls speed run can be. Figured that shit would be way boring, nope lol.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I'm considering buying Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 on the digital store because the ports included the ability to cheese everything by adding a function to refill your life, atb bar and limit break at any time and it's spammable. Sounds like a great way to cheese some bosses.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

The first Destiny game my buddies and I cheesed a boss in a raid many times. I can't remember the raid but it was a bullet sponge tank walker and we had Ice Breaker sniper rifles (regenerating ammo) and sat back and pecked away at him from across the map while talking and drinking. Good times.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I used mickey to beat a boss in kingdom hearts 2 final mix in the 1.5-2.5 HD collection. It was more luck than cheese since I somehow managed to get mickey to spawn 5 times on that boss. He only spawns in that game if you die to certain bosses. I alos beat the secret boss in that one battlegate in kingdom hearts 3 by spamming a certain summon. I also spammed balloon commands and other long range commands to beat the last few bosses in the HD version of Dream Drop Distance.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@arkephonic said:

I'm considering buying Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 on the digital store because the ports included the ability to cheese everything by adding a function to refill your life, atb bar and limit break at any time and it's spammable. Sounds like a great way to cheese some bosses.

I completed the challenges in FF7 Remake and got a necklace that let's me start a battle with my Limit Break already filled. That's skilled cheesing right there. 😎

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

Capra Demon in Dark Souls. Run up the stairs immediately when you pass the fog gate, to separate the two dog monsters from the Capra Demon. Kill off the dogs and Capra suddenly becomes a cake walk.

Salazar from Resident Evil 4. Before entering Salazar's battle, you can buy an RPG from the merchant outside his arena, and using the RPG pretty much one-shot kills Salazar.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1613 Posts

Vamp on Extreme mode in MGS2 is so difficult to face head on, I just hang on the edge of the pool and wait for him to walk over, hit him when he tries to cut Raiden's fingers off, and then repeat when he jumps away. It also gets a non lethal victory!

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4236 Posts

Yes. Mortal Kombat 3 Shao Kahn. Kept freezing him with Sub-Zero. Shao Kahn can be very tough to take down.