Have You Ever Boycotted Something?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Gue1 said:

**** DmC and Ninja Theory.

You're missing out on a pretty good game. It's well reviewed and a lot of people ended up liking it (whether you've played it or not)

Going into hate a game because of the developer is kinda silly. Sure you don't have to like their games but saying "**** them" is kinda strong.

Don't bother. Devil May Cry fans have gone as far as to say DmC is worse than Devil May Cry 2. You can't take their comments or suggestions serious at all. You can't even pretend they make a point when they say shit like that.

It's definitely weird. I wouldn't write off a game based on fanboyism of a series. Sure some games are worse than others. But IMO it's a bad habit just to say "**** it" if you haven't tried it.

In this situation i don't know if Gue1 has played it or not. But that's just my mantra.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

No, it seems pointless.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

LOL at people boycotting thinking that they are actually doing any harm. XD

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#54  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Nope, don't think so

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

I boycotted a gas station once.

It was during sandy when shit was wild.

Gas you say?

This?

Damn Americans, you scary.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#57 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I guess if you consider not buying something boycotting it. But I look at this hobby as what it is. Business. I buy what I want, don't expect a personal relationship with the companies, and don't buy what I wont use.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Yes, every one of Sweenix's threads.

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

I don't buy Apple products. That's about it.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@hoyalawya said:

I don't buy Apple products. That's about it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

I boycotted Ubisoft over the always online DRM (thankfully they seem to have loosenend up now). I didnt buy a single ubisoft game for ages.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Nintendo....I will never buy a Nintendo product again after purchasing the Wii.

I also boycotted Olive garden for raw chicken and Baskin Robbins for a long ass hair in my ice cream cake

Avatar image for deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
deactivated-5851fca92f6f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Gue1 said:

You're missing out on a pretty good game. It's well reviewed and a lot of people ended up liking it (whether you've played it or not)

Going into hate a game because of the developer is kinda silly. Sure you don't have to like their games but saying "**** them" is kinda strong.

Don't bother. Devil May Cry fans have gone as far as to say DmC is worse than Devil May Cry 2. You can't take their comments or suggestions serious at all. You can't even pretend they make a point when they say shit like that.

Not all fans are like that, I love the Devil May Cry series to death and I think DmC was a great game, some people just take things a little too seriously (death threats over a video game? Really?).

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Good question @freedomfreak

Well, boycotting is an expression of protest, so I'm not quite sure I've done that. But I do believe in consumer sovereignty.

I wonder, would I participate in an organised gaming-related boycott?

It would depend on what it was. Let's imagine Microsoft said they were going to double the Lem tax. Well, in that situation if there were an internet-wide 'boycott' organised by a third party, and anyone could sign up to say they were in the boycott, and the idea of the boycott was to prevent the Lem tax increase eg: sign the boycott, stop paying the Lem tax immediately, to send Microsoft a message. Then yes I would participate.

But, at the same time, without the organised boycott, without a doubling of Lem tax - I'm likely to stop paying Lem Tax this July anyway.

Also, how many people would hear about the Lem Tax doubling, and cancel their subscription without knowledge of the boycott? I think quite a few, so is the boycott's effect moot? Would MS focus on the number of boycott participants, or on their monthly projections from Lem Tax income? I'm guessing income.

So from my perspective boycotts are a funny thing. On the one hand I feel a properly organised boycott could be effective, but at the same time consumer sovereignty is always there anyway, and all boycotts seem to do is attempt to influence consumer sovereignty as a form of protest. My preference would be for consumers and companies to be fair, but alas this is my naive pipe dream.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@m_machine024 said:

Some people do things based on principle alone. I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I disagree with their business practices and their employee relations. Is my refusal to patronize them having any meaningful impact of their bottom line? Of course not, but I have a relatively clear conscience knowing that I'm not part of the problem.

If everyone had and lived according to their principles, perhaps meaningful change could actually be made.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@m_machine024 said:

Some people do things based on principle alone. I don't shop at Wal-Mart because I disagree with their business practices and their employee relations. Is my refusal to patronize them having any meaningful impact of their bottom line? Of course not, but I have a relatively clear conscience knowing that I'm not part of the problem.

If everyone had and lived according to their principles, perhaps meaningful change could actually be made.

My comment wasn't meant for you then. Why do you feel aim?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I detest gamestop, not sure if i'll ever deal with them again.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#68  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

not sure if its boycotting but I've decided to stop giving EA money after a year of iterative, unfinished sequels.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Let's see. When multiplayer games dropped LAN play, I quit multiplayer. I haven't bought any Battlefield game since Battlefield 2.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#70 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

not sure if its boycotting but I've decided to stop giving EA money after a year of iterative, unfinished sequels.

Battlefield 4 certainly comes to mind.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Need For Speed: Because I hated Underground 2 with a passion. Have not bought one since.

NHL/Hockey games: I loved the 2K hockey games, but they stopped making them. I hate the stick controls of EA's games. So no more hockey games for me.

Smackdown/WWE games: Again, I HATE the stick controls and they put no effort into the games because it's made on 50 systems.

Motion controlled gaming: The only game I liked was wii sports and that was fun for a whole couple months. Motion controls suck and I refuse to buy any games that require it.

Wii U: I refuse to buy this until it drops to $99. It's grossly overpriced.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin said:

Yeh, all Activision games. I simply cannot accept the Work practice they have shown, so I have not bought a game from activision from CoD4 and farwards.

It is not a hate towards the games which are fine, or the devs that Work hard. But there is too much Activision stands for, and do that I can not accept in an way (related to working conditions and customer service).

Same. I may buy their stuff used down the road, but even then...they don't really make games I dig.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17863 Posts

I boycotted Sega hardware after I bought the Sega CD and 32X only to be dropped like a bad habit.

My boycott worked.

Still playing Sega-published games, though (Total War and Sega Genesis Collection (PSP)).

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The closest I am to boycotting anything is Ubisoft.

Between a couple broken games I've gotten from them, the general comments they've made of the PC userbase, their always-online DRM policy (disregarding the reversal), and now Uplay which has screwed some people I know out of their game purchases...

I don't feel like buying anything from them.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

Yes, origin. It's just a fancy service to mask all the DRM in EAs games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Gue1 said:

For what? For making a great DMC game?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#78  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Madden, and I loved Football video games. It sucks that EA only gets to make the official NFL one. I still have my copy of NFL2K5, for 20 bucks it was a better game than Madden at half the price.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

Xbox 1 and any other console microsoft makes, that drm was the stupidest ass thing i have ever seen in gaming.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

since MS tried to pull that anti-consumer bullshit this past summer with the One i haven't bought anything microsoft related and have no plans to for the forseeable future.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I don't know if I'd call it a boycott, but I won't buy a Final Fantasy or Ninja Gaiden game again unless some serious changes happen.

Oh and I quit doing any business with Gamestop. Too much bullshit to list really, but I quit going there years ago and I'm glad I did.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@Boddicker said:

There are certain companies' I'll never buy a game from because there games are shit.

Does that count?

Oh, you don't like their games? But nothing wrong with the company itself? Certain practices and such.

I suppose not. DRM, microtransactions, and such is coming no matter how much we scream and moan about it (EA, Ubi, etc.).

I haven't shopped for years at Gamestop. I believe if a dev went thru the trouble to make a game they atleast deserve some of my money.

(I know the dev doesn't directly get my money, but we're splitting hairs here)

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

Nope, just Walmart and Papa John's, as they treat their employees like dogsh*t.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Everything EA - They're the worst. The first to implement online passes, got rid of manuals, buy and ruin great developers, dumb down every good game they've ever had, force developers to shoehorn co-op and MP into everyone of their games. I haven't bought a new EA game since 2009 (excluding their humble bundle, where every single penny went to charity) and I am still actively not buying their products.

Microsoft - A cancerous company who would probably steal from me if I turned my back. The only reason they reversed their policy was because people finally stood up. To think that they were really going to stick consumers with that DRM is gross. I have zero interest in buying the Xbone until I know that they have removed the ability to do this.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Any game with Securom. I was locked out of the game I bought because the DRM thought the copy of Medieval II: Kingdoms I just brought home from the store was pirated... So if any game has Securom, I either wait for it to get removed, or I don't play the game period. Waited nearly 4 years on Batman: AA, and something like 3 years on Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

I currently don't support MS because they insist on selling the One with that Kinect bullshit. But I'm also hearing they're struggling in other areas as well (OS sucks).

This ^

Quit supporting MS after I bought the 360 & it got failed HDD. I bought another one for $100 & that one failed too. Then it got RRoD & I sold the replacement on Ebay.

I wonder how many gamers did that to Sony when the PS4 got the BLOD?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/INFO-Blinking-Blue-Light-PS4-Issues/m-p/42154071#U42154071

and this buggy error?

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS4/ce-34878-0-Error/td-p/20287161/page/47

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@blackace said:

@clr84651 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

I currently don't support MS because they insist on selling the One with that Kinect bullshit. But I'm also hearing they're struggling in other areas as well (OS sucks).

This ^

Quit supporting MS after I bought the 360 & it got failed HDD. I bought another one for $100 & that one failed too. Then it got RRoD & I sold the replacement on Ebay.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/INFO-Blinking-Blue-Light-PS4-Issues/m-p/42154071#U42154071

and this buggy error?

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS4/ce-34878-0-Error/td-p/20287161/page/47

My brother in law John got RRoD 5 times & 2 failed controllers with 360s. We both bashed MS & swithced to PS3. 4 of his were used replacements MS shipped back to him. I sold mine after the first RRoD, so who knows how long until one I sold RRoD's? He was more loyal to Xbox than me to put up with so many. He said it was because he liked the 360 controller that made him hold out so long.

I had 1 60GB PS3 YloD after 3.5 years.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@blackace said:

@clr84651 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

This ^

1.http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/INFO-Blinking-Blue-Light-PS4-Issues/m-p/42154071#U42154071

and this buggy error?

2.http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS4/ce-34878-0-Error/td-p/20287161/page/47

Number 1 happen in about 10,000 PS4s. It was a screw missing that holds the HDD in place. Sony let some students from a nearby college help assemble 10,000 & that screw was not put in.

Number 2 happened in a very very small percentage & was a problem with the system not saving progress in some games.

These are not anything compared to the massive amounts of hardware failures with the white 360s that were released in the first 3 years.

tonyleo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 tonyleo01
Member since 2004 • 2255 Posts

I don't buy nickle-and-dime DLCs. They can keep their horse armor.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#91 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i boycott FIFA, COD, Madden for the most part. I also don't support bad business practices like buying on-disc DLC

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Nope.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

I boycott COD because I don't appreciate them releasing sequels that look and play the same.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I boycott ugly bitches on a daily basis but in terms of games I've not done so.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

No. I just don't buy things I don't like.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#96 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I boycotted L4D2 lol. Held onto my promise until it got to like $5 during one of the sales. Ended up loving the game. My boycott was mostly because the game came out too soon after and imo it still could have been merged with L4D1 so the community wasn't split.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I haven't really boycotted anything gaming-related, yet. There are plenty of companies that I don't buy games from much at all, but you really aren't boycotting someone if you they aren't selling anything you want anyway.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

EA Origin for their invasive EULA.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22741 Posts

Nothing gaming related but I did boycott a restaurant chain in my are called friendlys... The service at my store in town was DREADFUL. my wife and I once waited 45 minutes to order our drinks... It became an experiment by the end of dinner.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#100 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

mass effect 3 & fugly fake dante - dmc