Have Valve given into the PC bridage as well as became hypocrites?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Have Valve given into the PC bridage as well as became hypocrites? (17 votes)

Yes 100% 71%
No 82%

It appears green-light; which has predominantly been shit, scams and otherwise has removed a game; clearly popular with customers. "because, just"

UPDATE 16/12/2014 1.50am: Hatred developer Destructive Creations has responded to Valve's decision to remove Hatred from Steam Greenlight.

The developer noted that in a span of a "couple of hours" Hatred shot up to number seven on Steam Greenlight's list of most wanted titles with a total of 13,148 up votes.

Destructive Creations noted that it "fully respect[s] Valve's decision" and this won't impact the development of Hatred at all.

Here's the developer's statement in full:

"Dear Hatred Fans,

"As you know today we've launched our Steam Greenlight campaign for Hatred.

"Unfortunately after couple of hours Steam shut it down giving the below as reasons behind their decision:

“'We wanted you guys to know that based on what we see on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down.'

"Even though games like Manhunt or Postal are still available on Steam we of course fully respect Valve's decision, as they have the right to do so. In the same time we want to assure you that this won't in any way impact the game's development, game's vision or gameplay features we're aiming for. The game is still to be released in Q2 2015 as planned.

"Moreover we don't treat this as a failure because yet again this showed us a huge community support we're totally overwhelmed with. After only a couple of hours Greenlight campaign being live, Hatred gathered 13,148 up votes and ended up on a #7 on Top 100 list

"This is the best proof for us that there are diehard Hatred fans out there, waiting for this game to be released. And that we need to keep going to deliver them a game that offers exciting and challenging gameplay.

"The whole situation only pushes us forward to go against any adversity and not to give up. It also makes us want to provide our fans Hatred pre-orders sooner, as many of you have asked for them.

"At the end of the day you, gamers will judge if we were able to do a game that's simply fun to play."

UPDATE 15/12/2014 7.14pm Valve has removed Hatred from Steam Greenlight.

"Based on what we've seen on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down," Valve's Doug Lombardi told Eurogamer moments ago.

That didn't take long.

ORIGINAL STORY 15/12/2014 6.28pm Back in October Polish developer Destructive Creations announced Hatred, an isometric action game about a suicidal mass murderer mercilessly slaughtering civilians. Naturally, the project drew a lot of controversy, which seemed to be the point. Now, Hatred has appeared on Steam Greenlight.

"We receive[d] a tons of supportive e-mails and it totally blows me away," Destructive Creations CEO Jarosław Zieliński told Eurogamer when the project was first announced. "[I] didn't expect this. And to all of those people: We won't disappoint you!"

Meanwhile, fashion label Björn Borg has taken the piss out of Hatred by creating a parody of its trailer - below - that advertises its own upcoming promotional game, First-Person Lover.

Due on 28th January for PC and Mac, First-Person Lover will spread a "message of love and acceptance" as players "battle evil forces with the power of love."

We've requested comment from Valve about its decision to allow Hatred on Steam Greenlight and will update should we hear back.

Take into account Postal 2 was approved by greenlight and has been on steam for a number of years. Likewise; Dead Or Alive 5 on steam is currently selling female characters hooker gear as a preorder incentive.

Oh Valve; the angels have fallen. Fluttering feathers.

• 
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@GarGx1 said:

@parkurtommo:

1. The US is a massive market and they can and do affect game development and sales. They don't need proof just the ears of the media and therefore the masses, just look at the influence that Anita con artisit woman appears to have.

2. I'm not American but I'm not blinkered enough to beleive that the country with more large game publishers and developers than any other cannot influence the games I play

It can influence the industry but not "censor" it or prevent it's expansion. Hence why Hatred should still be made, even if it causes huge controversy and stupid affiliations to mass shootings that had nothing to do with the game. Again, you can already do this shit in GTA, Postal, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row, etc. etc.

There is no censorship here. Hatred is still getting made, it's still getting sold, Valve is simply saying that they aren't going to support it. That's how free speech works. If Valve wants to avoid associating themselves with a game that they think is a PR nightmare, then you're damn right that they have no obligations to support the game. That isn't stopping the game from being made or sold, and that isn't altering the content of the game.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@parkurtommo said:

@GarGx1 said:

@parkurtommo:

1. The US is a massive market and they can and do affect game development and sales. They don't need proof just the ears of the media and therefore the masses, just look at the influence that Anita con artisit woman appears to have.

2. I'm not American but I'm not blinkered enough to beleive that the country with more large game publishers and developers than any other cannot influence the games I play

It can influence the industry but not "censor" it or prevent it's expansion. Hence why Hatred should still be made, even if it causes huge controversy and stupid affiliations to mass shootings that had nothing to do with the game. Again, you can already do this shit in GTA, Postal, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row, etc. etc.

There is no censorship here. Hatred is still getting made, it's still getting sold, Valve is simply saying that they aren't going to support it. That's how free speech works. If Valve wants to avoid associating themselves with a game that they think is a PR nightmare, then you're damn right that they have no obligations to support the game. That isn't stopping the game from being made or sold, and that isn't altering the content of the game.

You misunderstood. i was talking about the possibility of US congress passing something that would hinder game development, like censoring a certain type of game like Hatred. Steam's decision is obviously not censorship.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I noticed something weird. In countries that don't allow you to get a gun easily; barely any school shootings happen. While in America: they happen every 30 seconds or so.

I think guns rather than video games could be the problem. But America being America (immensely arrogant; living in it's own little bubble) they refuse to change any shit. Because greatest country in the world. At least when it comes to the record for school shootings.

No...no they don't. They happen rarely which is why they hit the news. And school shootings do happen in other countries. Do you ever use facts or always pull your statements from your ass.

He as ignorant assumptive troll that has no idea what he's talking about. Don't feed him.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Oh it's the controversy game. Whatevers. Come on guys, wtf are you making. They can still release it just not through Steam, I can kinda understand why.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

While I won't intrude on anyone's desire to make a make a game about whatever they want, Valve is well within their right as a storefront to refuse to sell any game they want, even if it makes them look hypocritical. I really can't blame them though, the game is a bit much. The problem is there is no satire or tongue in cheek about this, it's straight up homicidal nonsense. It's basically virtual snuff.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

I support the censorship of Hatred and Valves choice. Hope other distributers do the same thing.

You can't compare this game to others such as GTA. Just stop with that. Can you emulate Hatred in GTA? Yea if you want... I can also be a law abiding citizen and stop at all the red lights. Hatred is horrible. The main objective in which you NEED to complete is killing as many as possible in the most brutal way possible. No, **** that game and **** the developer who is trying very hard to make video games look even worse in the public eye. I don't support it and neither should ANY of you.

Its like "Postal." Using shock value to move copies. People can buy whatever they want. No thanks for me, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@Vaasman said:

First of all, Postal 2's design is almost cartoonish and it revels in the absurdity of its comical violence. The tone of the game and it's portrayal of killing is completely different from Hatred.

Second, who the hell is surprised? This game is publisher kryptonite. No big company was ever going to support this title.

First Postal was pretty serious and to me Hatred is more of a spiritual successor to first Postal game. And Steam is also fine selling Manhunt, GTA etc, so this just makes them look hypocrites.

This just shows what is the risk to give so much power to one company. Everyone should be more critical of Valve.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

TB's on the case and I think his opinion is spot on:

Loading Video...

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MlauTheDaft

@heretrix said:

While I won't intrude on anyone's desire to make a make a game about whatever they want, Valve is well within their right as a storefront to refuse to sell any game they want, even if it makes them look hypocritical. I really can't blame them though, the game is a bit much. The problem is there is no satire or tongue in cheek about this, it's straight up homicidal nonsense. It's basically virtual snuff.

That's honestly irrelevant and entirely subjective. You're basically saing that you're personally offended this time.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

TB's on the case and I think his opinion is spot on:

Loading Video...

Very well done commentary on this whole butt fuckery by TB, these are pretty much my exact same thoughts on the issue, especially the issue with Valve not offering an actual legitimate reason the title was removed from the steam service despite Valve not shying away from violent, immature subject matter before.

This is way, way worse than gta v getting pulled from one retailer in Australia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Why are people calling this censorship? Don't use words if you don't know what they mean.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

What the **** does the title of this thread even mean?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 heretrix

@MlauTheDaft said:

@heretrix said:

That's honestly irrelevant and entirely a subjective. You're basically saing that you're personally offended this time.

Offended is a not what I'd call what I feel about that game..I'm saying that I can understand someone else that had the option to sell the game, deciding not to. It may not be a personal decision, but a "I don't feel like dealing with the backlash this stupid crap could generate" kind of decision.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MlauTheDaft

@heretrix said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@heretrix said:

That's honestly irrelevant and entirely a subjective. You're basically saing that you're personally offended this time.

Offended is a not what I'd call what I feel about that game..I'm saying that I can understand someone else that had the option to sell the game, deciding not to. It may not be a personal decision, but a "I don't feel like dealing with the backlash this stupid crap could generate" kind of decision.

I agree that Valve chose to do this because it did'nt want to deal with potential repercussions and that it's well within it's rights to do so. I just think that's it's also quite hyppocritical, habitually inconsistent and completely fucking weak. Weak as in lacking a spine.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 heretrix

@MlauTheDaft said:

@heretrix said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@heretrix said:

I agree that Valve chose to do this because it did'nt want to deal with potential repercussions and that it's well within it's rights to do so. I just think that's it's also quite hyppocritical, habitually inconsistent and completely fucking weak. Weak as in lacking a spine.

It all depends on how you feel about it. It you don't think it's worth defending then it really has nothing to do with having a spine or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

It's back up now

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356532461

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

I hated that game but Steam should have never banned it, no matter how many people wanted it banned. It destroys the whole open platform concept that made Steam so successful. That said, Steam's probably still more open than any platform out there by a wide margin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@melonfarmerz said:

I hated that game but Steam should have never banned it, no matter how many people wanted it banned. It destroys the whole open platform concept that made Steam so successful. That said, Steam's probably still more open than any platform out there by a wide margin

Steam didn't become successful by being open. For quite a while it was infamously closed and getting a game on Steam was considered a badge of honour.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@melonfarmerz said:

Steam didn't become successful by being open. For quite a while it was infamously closed and getting a game on Steam was considered a badge of honour.

Yeah steam greenlight has only been a thing for a few years now

Also, apparently it's back on greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356532461

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-15-controversial-mass-murdering-game-hatred-appears-on-steam-greenlight

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

You misunderstood. i was talking about the possibility of US congress passing something that would hinder game development, like censoring a certain type of game like Hatred. Steam's decision is obviously not censorship.

Not to disregard the POSSIBILITY of the US government passing laws to restrict this kind of content, but you are aware that that's not even remotely plausible at this point, right?

I'm not gonna speak for other countries, but here in the USA we've been through this shit constantly and free speech tends to prevail. Comic books came under fire, violent movies came under fire, violent and sexually explicit music came under fire, this isn't the first time that video games have been scrutinized, and we had a shitload of people bitching about fine art (Andres Serrano getting NEA funding, or Sally Mann making pictures that could possibly be considered child pornography). We've survived all that shit.

Yes, it is POSSIBLE that some people complaining about the Hatred game could help lead to the passing of laws that restrict free speech and artistic expression. But despite being POSSIBLE, do you realize how unlikely that is? No one is even proposing legislation at this point, it's just people complaining about the game and saying that they think it's sick (which falls under free speech). Can we at least wait until the Jack Thompsons and the Leland Yees start trying to sue game developers or pass legislation banning games before we throw a fit? Because at this point, all we're seeing is "I don't like the game, I think it's sick." That's not a freaking threat, that's just people saying that they don't like the shit that they're seeing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#72 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59070 Posts

Justice has prevailed.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#73 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@parkurtommo said:

Not to disregard the POSSIBILITY of the US government passing laws to restrict this kind of content, but you are aware that that's not even remotely plausible at this point, right?

I'm not gonna speak for other countries, but here in the USA we've been through this shit constantly and free speech tends to prevail. Comic books came under fire, violent movies came under fire, violent and sexually explicit music came under fire, this isn't the first time that video games have been scrutinized, and we had a shitload of people bitching about fine art (Andres Serrano getting NEA funding, or Sally Mann making pictures that could possibly be considered child pornography). We've survived all that shit.

Yes, it is POSSIBLE that some people complaining about the Hatred game could help lead to the passing of laws that restrict free speech and artistic expression. But despite being POSSIBLE, do you realize how unlikely that is? No one is even proposing legislation at this point, it's just people complaining about the game and saying that they think it's sick (which falls under free speech). Can we at least wait until the Jack Thompsons and the Leland Yees start trying to sue game developers or pass legislation banning games before we throw a fit? Because at this point, all we're seeing is "I don't like the game, I think it's sick." That's not a freaking threat, that's just people saying that they don't like the shit that they're seeing.

Yes I also said, above, that the US would not be capable of preventing this game from getting traction, and as such, there shouldn't be any fear of this game causing shit for this industry.

I'm just saying, the possibility of that is censorship´, steam taking it off greenlight is not. I'm just repeating myself here. :P

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

When are Gamespot gonna fix the polls?

And the game's was put back on Steam.

http://thegamersparadise.com/18-news/pc/780-gabe-newell-brings-back-hatred,-game-ends-up-on-1-within-7-hours

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I stopped caring about Valve the minute they stopped making games. With that being said, Hated is such a dumb game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#76 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@lawlessx: think of it instead of zombies, aliens or creatures, it's people

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

We can all thank Valve for giving this game free publicity, maybe that was the intention works for Rockstar.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@ten_pints said:

We can all thank Valve for giving this game free publicity, maybe that was the intention works for Rockstar.

Turned out to be a good thing after all...