Have Ubisoft firmly established themselfs as worst publisher?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Have Ubisoft firmly established themselfs as worst publisher? (49 votes)

Yes: £49.99 for a pc game - gold, limited special edition cut out - season pass - microtransactions, our game doesn't work 80%
Other (i.e. EA/Activison) 20%

The top 3 suspects tend to show up when discussing the worst publishers around. EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Year after year; these are the culprits of the scummyest underhanded scam children out of money.

Did Ubisoft outdo themselves this year and cement themselfs as the worst publisher around?

• 
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Ubisoft barely surpassed Capcom's level of bullshit on my end (last I checked).

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Have just started playing AC Unity and its incredible, so no

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I don't see how Activision is in the top 3.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

**** yes... 100% every game they released so far this year and last year has its hand out like a leech.

I wish they would go Bankrupt. To tell you the truth.

They had an idiot marketing guy saying how he wanted to turn the 60 dollar gamer into the 200 dollar gamer.

They can go **** their selves and die in a fire.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Tough choice:

Activision flopped with Destiny and CoD

Ubisoft screwed up Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed Unity

EA LOL

Give them a 3-way tie for all I care. :P

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Requiring a mobile device to 100% a game (Unity) is the single dumbest thing Ubisoft has ever done, and that's saying a lot.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I find all this hate talk for AC Unity but nobody appears to have a lick of sense about the game. Not saying it's perfect, not saying it's a great game and everyone is wrong about it, but it's clear that most people who trash talk it don't have any idea about the true nature of the game. It'd be nice for a chance if those that did play it have something critical to say about what it does right, what it does wrong, but people who just run their mouth with no idea of what they're talking about are dominating any discussion about the issue. If you want good games, then let those with something constructive to say say something about it, so the devs and publishers take notice. Otherwise they're just going to see all you know-nothing-know-it-alls gabbing on like idiots and not doing anything constructive to make the games better, it's just "durr, DLC, blah blah.... durrrr, micro-transactions blah blah".

My first criticism about the game starts with previous AC games, and that's with the Astergo (Templar) and Assassin's in modern times, there was way too much story arc to make it accessible to newcomers. AC Black Flag did it right IMO, sure there were hidden tidbits talking about the previous games and Desmond and whatnot but for the most part that could be ignored. The modern time Astergo office and diving into the animus at your computer desk worked good. There wasn't too much backstory to worry about and the blend of this worked really well. In AC Unity on the other hand they just completely abandon this blend, you mostly just stay in the game. There's some hint about Astergo doing research under the guise of entertainment but it's not clear and wouldn't be accessible and understood for newcomers. Still, while I find this as a drawback at least it's not drowning in plot points that alienate newcomers completely like previous entries.

Another thing I've noticed is people claim the game is too easy. While certainly I agree that the combat was very easy to attack and counter I found that in Unity that's not the case. Combat is less forgiving, partially because they want the player to make more calculated moves, and to level up, but the combat is far less forgiving than other games. I don't mind this actually, not by itself, but it does present itself as a problem given that another blemish on AC Unity is the loadtimes. They're soooo damn long. So, the less forgiving combat, coupled with the longer load times, they're really two things that don't go hand in hand together. The long load times I assume come from the huge world and large crowds, the large crowds are a great feature for the game except when one must endure the long load times.

The biggest narrative problem IMO is how fragmented the story is. The game doesn't really focus on story and probably because they focused too much on the social aspect of the game, so if you're someone who completely disregards the co-op missions there's probably much less game here. I however once I realized how much fun the co-op missiosn were found a lot more value here. Now, honestly it's nowhere cool as looking as the pre-release demos let on, but they're still pretty fun nonetheless.

However, the social aspect feature probably lead to a lot of bad design choices, like locking out skills or assassin abilities in the SP into a multiplayer like leveling system which really frustrated me at first but became less frustrated with as I gained the abilities over time. In previous AC games my play style was much more used to syncing the high points, find collectibles on section at a time. In this game many collectibles are locked out by having to do certain things first, like unlocking the needed lockpicking skills, and in some solving the riddles which aren't always very intuitive. It's very different than other AC games in this regard and along with all the other major changes to the game left me feeling more lost than ever about what to do. But, I'm not that impatient of a gamer, it'll be baby steps for a 100% playthrough, which I plan on doing it.

One thing though I see people bitch about that's not been an issue though, and that's micro-transactions. I mean they're there, no denying that, but there's nothing about playing the game that makes me want to waste additional money on it. Everything you can unlock by buying hack points (what real currency becomes), you can just as easily earn by playing the game. Which is usually the case about anything people bitch about when it comes to micro-transactions.

Anyhow, it's not a perfect game, it's not a horrible on by any stretch. It's okay for what it is, and what it is attempting is to drastically alter the AC formula to incorporate a greater social multiplayer experience. Sure they made mistakes in its design but it's hardly something to condemn the developers for attempting, and sure you can clearly point out that certain design choices didn't wok it's by no means worth treating the developer and publisher like a super-villain over.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I think Capcom is the worst as far as consumers go.

The level of milkage and stupid decisions are far beyond what Ubi has done recently

At least Ubi has a great track record of quality products prior to WatchDogsgate and AC Unity being broken.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes... Other companies release games yearly. Ubisoft have taken that to a whole new level. How many Assassin's Creed games on various platforms (PC, old gen, current gen, handhelds etc) were released this year again? And almost none of them were polished. "But but but it's AMD's fault"

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nah. Ubisoft dodged a bullet in my case. The only Ubisoft games I have are Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4. I also have Watch Dogs which was free with my video card.

All three ran okay on my PC and I'm having a blast with Far Cry 4 just roaming around or resetting outposts.

I don't have AC: U since I'm not a big fan of the series. I think AC: U raised the biggest stink. Good thing I'm not into preordering.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Welp... This gen:

Ubisoft, then EA, then Activision.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@papatrop said:

Destiny

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

They are the EA of adventure games, but madden and fifa are WAY better than ass creed and whatever else garbage they spew out.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

"AAA" indeed. They are not an honest company, I no longer buy their games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I find the Watch Dogs issue to be an interesting one because there doesn't seem to be a successful strategy they could have followed that didn't including time traveling and not releasing their early vertical slice demo of the game. That IMO was the catalyst to disappointment. I think one critic said it well (can't remember who) that they (Ubisoft) anticipated too much capability from next gen consoles when they made the original Watch Dogs demo. When they released the demo nobody really had any idea of what we were expecting from either Sony or MS with regards to our next gen systems. So, I mean other than gimping the PC version to create parity with consoles, so console owners didn't feel like they were getting the shit end of the stick, they pissed off PC gamers when they discovered the obvious, that the game was gimped in order to create parity. Would people have not flipped out though if they let the reigns off the PC version while consumers totally ignore the console ports for looking like junk by contrast? Yeah, people probably would have ignored the console ports if that happened. Ubisoft made a decision that probably best protected the bottom line, and one that probably succeeded in getting more people to buy the game in the long run. It's not a pretty picture, but let's not pretend not doing so was all rainbows and puppies either.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Suckers can't complain if they keep buying it.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yes... Other companies release games yearly. Ubisoft have taken that to a whole new level. How many Assassin's Creed games on various platforms (PC, old gen, current gen, handhelds etc) were released this year again? And almost none of them were polished. "But but but it's AMD's fault"

LOL this is so true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Worst publisher is still Konami. Ubisoft does a lot of dumb shit but at least they still make games.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I have not played every AC game but i am still sick tired of the Ubisoft formula they use in every AC/Farcry game and now their new IP Watch Dogs.

• Climb up on a high building whatever and scan/open up near area on map for useless collectibles and repetitive activities
  • Copy/paste collectibles and miniquests all over the map

While their games have good graphic but their story not interesting/fun, all is yadda yadda whatever in between you doing point one above

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Yep. They have outdone ea so far lets see if they can keep it up

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Wow, that low standard lemmingtry.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#22 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Not yet due to their "indie" titles, namely Child of Light and Valiant Hearts, but they are getting pretty close to the bottom right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@RR360DD said:

This. To be fair, I haven't played it at launch, I bought it a week ago for 20 euro so the patches may have fixed the game, but still the game now is amazing. Level of detail, number of NPC's, a very dynamic world, top notch.

Also haven't played AC since Brotherhood, so I can't comment on the changes compared to Black Flag

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#24  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

All three of the likes of Activision, EA, and Ubisoft are my least favorite publishers and I go out of my way to avoid getting their games.

Ubisoft especially has been shit lately. Cause you know, releasing half finished games is totally not going to make you look stupid.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@papatrop said:

I'd probably put Activision 3rd, but it's a very distant 3rd. I guess Capcom might be worse.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Nope, Unity is actually great and I'm about ready to platinum it. Then I'm off to FarCry 4.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Worst, No. Disappointing absolutely. They have some decent concepts but they constantly screw up the execution.

That said, Far Cry 4 is probably their best game this year. But screw dem Hunters. Seriously, they are a major pain in the ass.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@papatrop said:

I'd probably put Activision 3rd, but it's a very distant 3rd. I guess Capcom might be worse.

Activision's biggest "crime" is that they remake the same game once a year, and release DLC map packs.

I don't think that constitutes as evil. Not in the same vein of companies like Ubisoft, EA, and Capcom (which I only list as they're BIG publishers). Companies who lie about games they make, release absolutely broken products, berate their consumers, strip features from their games to be resold, overcharge for DLC, lock content on the disks, or have a history of bad DRM practices.

Activision is a saint in comparison to some companies out there.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@papatrop said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@papatrop said:

Activision's biggest "crime" is that they remake the same game once a year, and release DLC map packs.

I don't think that constitutes as evil. Not in the same vein of companies like Ubisoft, EA, and Capcom (which I only list as they're BIG publishers). Companies who lie about games they make, release absolutely broken products, berate their consumers, strip features from their games to be resold, overcharge for DLC, lock content on the disks, or have a history of bad DRM practices.

Activision is a saint in comparison to some companies out there.

I think Activision overcharges for DLC, and I don't like how they treat their franchises and developers. I agree with you that they aren't even close to as bad as EA or Ubisoft, though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@heretrix said:

Cry 4 is probably their best game this year. But screw dem Hunters. Seriously, they are a major pain in the ass.

Them hunters are fun to stalk and kill.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

I think we need to distinguish marketers from developers.

Marketers are the reason for preorder DLC, rushed games. Overpriced (£49.99 for a pc game, fuckoff) games; as well as microtransactions. They also directly effect game design. Not allowing idea's or risks to pass through the net.

People can say "oh well they are just doing there job". The fucking Nazi's said the same thing when they built death camps.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

Yes.

They are the only publisher that I will see a trailer for and think oh cool, oh wait Ubisoft, nevermind. **** that game. I don't care how appealing or convincing their marketing is for a game, I simply won't play a Ubisoft game in the next few years. Every single one of their releases in recent memory has been a huge letdown and a big waste of time. **** Ubisoft.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#33 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@DefconRave said:

Not yet due to their "indie" titles, namely Child of Light and Valiant Hearts, but they are getting pretty close to the bottom right now.

yes, the only games they didnt destroy are the games they interfered the least, only using their money to distribute and gain profit, once any of those became sucessfull they will manage to ruin it like EA with plants vs zombies

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#34 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@rabakill said:

Yes.

They are the only publisher that I will see a trailer for and think oh cool, oh wait Ubisoft, nevermind. **** that game. I don't care how appealing or convincing their marketing is for a game, I simply won't play a Ubisoft game in the next few years. Every single one of their releases in recent memory has been a huge letdown and a big waste of time. **** Ubisoft.

and they are also on a crusade to destroy PC gaming with stupid lies about 95% of pirated games, and making a GTX780 performe worse than a PS4

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They really are but i have to give this title to Bungiectivision for f*cking up what i was so damn hyped for. Instead of fixing the problems, they release a shitty dlc and force your hand to purchase this pos. I'm so mad at them......

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don´t know if they have established themselves as the worst, all I can say is that it looks like they are trying really hard to achieve it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@b4x said:

**** yes... 100% every game they released so far this year and last year has its hand out like a leech.

I wish they would go Bankrupt. To tell you the truth.

They had an idiot marketing guy saying how he wanted to turn the 60 dollar gamer into the 200 dollar gamer.

They can go **** their selves and die in a fire.

Doesn't Unity have over $200 worth of microtransactions?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I got AC: Unity for £28 pre-order (now £20 from the same site) and Farcry 4 for £23 a couple of weeks ago.

Learn to internet shop.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

I have not played every AC game but i am still sick tired of the Ubisoft formula they use in every AC/Farcry game and now their new IP Watch Dogs.

• Climb up on a high building whatever and scan/open up near area on map for useless collectibles and repetitive activities
  • Copy/paste collectibles and miniquests all over the map

While their games have good graphic but their story not interesting/fun, all is yadda yadda whatever in between you doing point one above

This is my beef with Ubisoft. It's exactly the same game-play across a multitude of titles. Just change the story slightly to make a whole new IP. I have liked some of their games, rainbow 6, splinter cell and especially Rayman. However they change nothing and re-release the same game. Watch Dogs was the last Ubisoft game I plan on buying. The hacking aspect of a sandbox game had so much potential, yet they somehow made it an average game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Assassin's creed unity plays fine and I may buy far cry next. This is my first assassin's creed game I ever bought and I'm not disappointed at all