Has There Even Been A Developer That's Fallen Off As Much As RARE?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

remember their n64 run? goldeneye, perfect dark, jet force gemeni, banjo kazooie, donkey kong etc. how did they go from releasing timeless classics to making kinect games? remember how hyped microsoft's acquisition of them was? microsoft probably looks at these guys with disgust. biggest waste of money ever

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

Sonic Team comes to mind........

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Sonic Team, John Romero and iD springs to mind.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

microsoft probably looks at these guys with disgust.

black_chamber99

No not really.

Microsoft's influence and the split of the Rare team are the main reasons you have today's Rare, focusing on Kinect and casual titles.

However, poor results from the investment in the studio? Well compared to the N64 era that really is arguable.

sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

uhhhhhhhhhhh nope.... .wait nvm i found one but its more a publisherlucasarts. they have succeffully with the force unleashed game , cruddy prequels, bad cartoon(only one of the seaons was actually any good) , and making bad game decision. the last good game series they spawned has been the lego games . everything else has been crud. they r litterly sitting ontop of multi million dollar ips such as kotor,outcast/darkforces/jedi knight, tie fight, force commander/empire at war, rogue squadron,battlefront,republic commando, kotor single plasyer rpg, x-wing, those cool arcade machine games... i cant even list all of them

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Square?

Avatar image for psnisdoomedsoon
psnisdoomedsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psnisdoomedsoon
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The viva pinata games were amazingly "FUN" something I think most people forget when concerned about best gfx and 8 hour linear super graphiced up games. Nuts and Bolts was one of the most original and funnest games I have ever played. Man was that game good. Please dont talk crap unless you own the game and have played it dont ride the bandwagon theres a reason it scored an 8.5 What about square enix? Which was one of the biggest devs in teh entire world 5 years ago has turned to trash which hasnt released a single good game this gen.
Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wesrcks13
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

Sonic Team, easily.
It's a big bummer for me, Sonic used to be my favorite franchise. :(:cry:

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Rare has definitely had the greatest fall from glory, but I would say that other companies that have been a bit rocky at times recently are:

Square Enix (although not completely bad and I am excited for Vs XIII)

Retro (not bad at all, but nowhere near prime 1 and 2. Prime 3 and DKCR are not up to the quality level of prime 1 and 2)

Sonic team

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife

The viva pinata games were amazingly "FUN" something I think most people forget when concerned about best gfx and 8 hour linear super graphiced up games. Nuts and Bolts was one of the most original and funnest games I have ever played. Man was that game good. Please dont talk crap unless you own the game and have played it dont ride the bandwagon theres a reason it scored an 8.5 What about square enix? Which was one of the biggest devs in teh entire world 5 years ago has turned to trash which hasnt released a single good game this gen.psnisdoomedsoon

I played Viva Pinate for around an hour and it was so frikkin boring. If i had not payed only a dollar for it I would have been upset.

Nuts and Bolts was pretty and had a good idea going for it, but it was really shallow and boring after the first hour or so. Yes I used to own it (when I owned a 360).

psnisdoomedsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 psnisdoomedsoon

[QUOTE="psnisdoomedsoon"]The viva pinata games were amazingly "FUN" something I think most people forget when concerned about best gfx and 8 hour linear super graphiced up games. Nuts and Bolts was one of the most original and funnest games I have ever played. Man was that game good. Please dont talk crap unless you own the game and have played it dont ride the bandwagon theres a reason it scored an 8.5 What about square enix? Which was one of the biggest devs in teh entire world 5 years ago has turned to trash which hasnt released a single good game this gen.NaveedLife

I played Viva Pinate for around an hour and it was so frikkin boring. If i had not payed only a dollar for it I would have been upset.

Nuts and Bolts was pretty and had a good idea going for it, but it was really shallow and boring after the first hour or so. Yes I used to own it (when I owned a 360).

idk about you but original games are the best games for me and those 2 top the list on the 360 along with tf2
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44646 Posts
they've had some good games in the past like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Conquers Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct, those were different days, sometimes wonder if they even have the resources anymore to make cutting edge next gen games though it'd be nice if they put some effort into reviving the Conkers franchise
bushidotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bushidotu
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts

Square Enix.... JUST SAYING... lets admit it they were a lot better when they where Square Soft.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

AM2

Core

Activision

Atari

Namco

Psygnosis

Gremlin

team 17

On and on...

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="psnisdoomedsoon"]The viva pinata games were amazingly "FUN" something I think most people forget when concerned about best gfx and 8 hour linear super graphiced up games. Nuts and Bolts was one of the most original and funnest games I have ever played. Man was that game good. Please dont talk crap unless you own the game and have played it dont ride the bandwagon theres a reason it scored an 8.5 What about square enix? Which was one of the biggest devs in teh entire world 5 years ago has turned to trash which hasnt released a single good game this gen.psnisdoomedsoon

idk about you but original games are the best games for me and those 2 top the list on the 360 along with tf2

I think they both were good ideas, but utlimately lacked in the execution. They are original, but IMO originality doesnt mean much if not executed with quality. Also sometimes its games that take what has been done and master it to a point that it feels fresh and amazing. Anyway, Banjo Kazooie was far better than the bit of Viva Pinata I played, I just feel it really lacked. It could have been so much more and one of my favorite titles ever, but instead dissapointed me with its boring gameplay.

PS - TF2 is good but I am more of a CS kind of guy :P.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Sega does what Nintendon't... Failing.

I loved Banjo and Conker. :cry:

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife

they've had some good games in the past like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Conquers Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct, those were different days, sometimes wonder if they even have the resources anymore to make cutting edge next gen games though it'd be nice if they put some effort into reviving the Conkers franchiselamprey263

Donkey Kong Country, Banjo kazooie, and Star Fox Adventures as well.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
there have been heaps of devs who have lost their touch...but rare takes the cake from god tier devs to crap u find under ur shoe.. i think these guys have lost their touch from what i have seen and played Zipper Interactive - there last good game was socom 2 in 2003 , i hope socom 4 is awesome like the 1st 2 and not horrible like the 3rd Raven software - hexen , soldier of fortune...jedi knight, now we get singularity , wolfenstein , marvel ultimate alliance . They didnt even make the newest soldier of fortune except some other activision dev did... what the hell.. Lucas Art - this gen has been meh from them...at least on consoles anyways..
psnisdoomedsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 psnisdoomedsoon

[QUOTE="psnisdoomedsoon"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

I think they both were good ideas, but utlimately lacked in the execution. They are original, but IMO originality doesnt mean much if not executed with quality. Also sometimes its games that take what has been done and master it to a point that it feels fresh and amazing. Anyway, Banjo Kazooie was far better than the bit of Viva Pinata I played, I just feel it really lacked. It could have been so much more and one of my favorite titles ever, but instead dissapointed me with its boring gameplay.

The LAST thing I want is a banjo 3 in HD. The only downside I saw to nuts and bolts was the multiplayer just flat out sucked. I think no one was ever online thats why lol but man that would have been one of the funnest games online **** it pisses me off the online never took off.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="psnisdoomedsoon"] idk about you but original games are the best games for me and those 2 top the list on the 360 along with tf2psnisdoomedsoon

The LAST thing I want is a banjo 3 in HD. The only downside I saw to nuts and bolts was the multiplayer just flat out sucked. I think no one was ever online thats why lol but man that would have been one of the funnest games online **** it pisses me off the online never took off.

I am not saying make it a platformer, I am saying they didnt really utilize the vehicle creation system as well as they should have in the levels. Meaning they had an extroadinary idea but the goals and missions that you needed to do were bland and could have been awesome and extremely varied due to the vehicle creation system. In my mind they need to make a sequel (not that i will be able to play it lol) and do this, as it could be amazing.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#22 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts

bez2083
This. How Sega created a mascot that rivaled Mario at one time and is now reduced to laughably pathetic games will forever be a burning question in my mind.
psnisdoomedsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psnisdoomedsoon

NaveedLife

I am not saying make it a platformer, I am saying they didnt really utilize the vehicle creation system as well as they should have in the levels. Meaning they had an extroadinary idea but the goals and missions that you needed to do were bland and could have been awesome and extremely varied due to the vehicle creation system. In my mind they need to make a sequel (not that i will be able to play it lol) and do this, as it could be amazing.

I can see where your going, I did spend the majority of my time just creating fun ass vehicles to make which served no purpose. But when the online worked there was this one map called lap happy I think where you had to go around this tiny tiny tiny map like 20 laps so I created a vehicle purposly to cause mayhem and jam the race LOL The DLC was a lot better in the aspect you mentioned.
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ktseymour

there have been heaps of devs who have lost their touch...but rare takes the cake from god tier devs to crap u find under ur shoe.. i think these guys have lost their touch from what i have seen and played Zipper Interactive - there last good game was socom 2 in 2003 , i hope socom 4 is awesome like the 1st 2 and not horrible like the 3rd Raven software - hexen , soldier of fortune...jedi knight, now we get singularity , wolfenstein , marvel ultimate alliance . They didnt even make the newest soldier of fortune except some other activision dev did... what the hell.. Lucas Art - this gen has been meh from them...at least on consoles anyways..campzor

Raven, mah.

Have to agree about Lucas though, but their Idiotic policy of firing people after they publish the game they worked on does not help.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

NaveedLife

nuts and bolts shallow.. oh god no, its easily one of the funnest games i've played this gen, especially once you get up their with the amount of pieces, you are given a problem and you build a solution. you could even watch other people's replays and watched what they did, truth be told, if you really thought it was shallow its your fault for playing it in a completely uninspired way.
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ktseymour

[QUOTE="bez2083"]

DethSkematik

This. How Sega created a mascot that rivaled Mario at one time and is now reduced to laughably pathetic games will forever be a burning question in my mind.

AM2 was actually Sega's premiere software house for many years, Sonic Team was only a foot note, albiet a big one. AM2 history

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts
Infinity Ward :lol: Haze developers Bizarre Creations Polypony Digital To name a few
BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BodyElite
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="psnisdoomedsoon"] idk about you but original games are the best games for me and those 2 top the list on the 360 along with tf2savagetwinkie

nuts and bolts shallow.. oh god no, its easily one of the funnest games i've played this gen, especially once you get up their with the amount of pieces, you are given a problem and you build a solution. you could even watch other people's replays and watched what they did, truth be told, if you really thought it was shallow its your fault for playing it in a completely uninspired way.

I downloaded n&b from Games on Demand and it is by far the biggest mistake I've ever made game purchase related. From the stupid sound effects that make me cringe to the kiddy menus that explain everything as if you were 2 years old.
FatCatPatRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FatCatPatRat
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

Rare may be turrible now, but I will always have some respect and love for them solely due to the epic games they made generations ago. Banjo Tooie is my favourite platformer of all time, and my 2nd favourite game of all time.

I voted'Microsoft ruined them' as it is the only logical choice.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BodyElite

Rare may be turrible now, but I will always have some respect and love for them solely due to the epic games they made generations ago. Banjo Tooie is my favourite platformer of all time, and my 2nd favourite game of all time.

I voted'Microsoft ruined them' as it is the only logical choice.

FatCatPatRat
MS didn't create the crappness that is N&B or Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Rare did
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
This generation, Square-Enix has had a pretty bad fall from grace. The only place where they've been up to their standards has been with handheld games, and very few of their handheld titles have been new.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

Rare has definitely had the greatest fall from glory, but I would say that other companies that have been a bit rocky at times recently are:

Square Enix (although not completely bad and I am excited for Vs XIII)

Retro (not bad at all, but nowhere near prime 1 and 2. Prime 3 and DKCR are not up to the quality level of prime 1 and 2)

Sonic team

NaveedLife

wtf lol

You simply took the higest rated game of the last generation (metroid prime) and compared it to their new titles :p

i disagree with everything you said, and just for the record

Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 3 > DKCR > Metroid Prime 2 ;)

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Lucas arts

Sonic team

infinity ward

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

If I put on my nostalgia glasses my answer is yes.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

I think rare in MS are binding their time.

HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HailCaesarHail
Member since 2010 • 814 Posts
lol @ people voting that they are still great. thats just sad.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
lol @ people voting that they are still great. thats just sad.HailCaesarHail
Kameo and viva pinata are still great games imo
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

I think rare in MS are binding their time.

xscrapzx
To what end?
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

lol @ people voting that they are still great. thats just sad.HailCaesarHail

Rare is still a great developer. Not as great as they once were, not even close, but still great.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Square Enix, Capcom, Sonic Team?
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Vesica_Prime

Why ID? :?

also tc, the answer is no.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Every notable developer left Rare. It's like Infinity Ward now. It is silly to wait for a good Killer Instinct of Perfect Dark game now.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

Hmm, lets see, Rare's creative, quality games this gen., 1 AAA & 5 AA games... 99 out of a 100 devs would give their left arm for that kind of quality and production and this gens not even over. 8)

Next up for Rare...

:P

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

Didn't think much of PDZ but I liked Kameo, Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theuncharted34

Hmm, lets see, Rare's creative, quality games this gen., 1 AAA & 5 AA games... 99 out of a 100 devs would give their left arm for that kind of quality and production and this gens not even over. 8)

Next up for Rare...

SecretPolice

what game was AAAe on metacritic?

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

for me it was Craetive Assembly. Compare Rome Total War to Medieval 2. Medieval had better graphics anda hard coded faction limit of 31, while Rome had 21, yet Rome had more little things that combined together. A wall collapsing in Rome would kill any men the debris fell on, while in medieval 2 it wouldn't. And it had more interesting graphics, buy this i mean i could actually fight at the base of the Pyramids, or when I fight infront of a river I see the bridge out side of the battle area while seeing the settlement on the other side. Or even just seeing the snow atop of mountains while fight in the mountainous regions of Bactria (Modern day Afghanistan) in a mod a cannot recall. But it was all of the little things that made Rome great.

Now we are stuck with Shogun 2 where every faction has the exact same units (okay, i can live with that), with only 12 factions (Um..........okay), no mod tools (what?!). But another blow is i don't care for Feudal Japan, if they wanted to go east oriented, a China, Japan, South East Asia setting would have been better.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Next up for Rare...

theuncharted34

GS scoring is what we go by here so.. :P

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

theuncharted34

Why ID? :?

also tc, the answer is no.

They don't really release any games anymore, and all their recent games are just disappointments compared to the predecessors. And that the iD Tech 5 engine doesn't look as groundbreaking as say the Doom, Quake, Id Tech 2, Id Tech 3, Id Tech 4 engines.

Compared to the classics such as Doom 1-2 and Quake 1-3. I think they're a shadow of their former selves.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Next up for Rare...

SecretPolice

This is what they need to make

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Next up for Rare...

SecretPolice

GS scoring is what we go by here so.. :P

tbh, RARE has had 2 great games this gen, and that would be banjo kazooie nuts n bolts, and kameo.

But those games are just AAe quality. I haven't playedperfect dark zero, but looking at all the reviews I have, and footage, leads me to believe it's Around AAe as well. Gamespot was just one of the very few that gave it a 9.

Viva pinata was pretty horrible in my opinion :P

so you comapare that line up with their donkey kong country games, and the games they made in the 5th generation, and really they have fell from grace pretty hard.

I still think they have potential though, they just need to be pushed in the right direction. But... that's probably never going to happen.