Has the tide turned against Sony?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Friendlyfire53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Friendlyfire53

Poll Has the tide turned against Sony? (65 votes)

Never!!1111 6%
No 42%
Maybe 17%
Yes 29%
It was never in Sony's favor!!1111 6%

Sony has been taking a pounding lately. NPD numbers are not in their favor the past few months. Public reception of the Pro has been a total flop. They have had to delay games numerous times. Xbox One Slim has had a great reception and should carry the console. Scorpio is going to totally outmatch the Pro this time next year.

Is Sony going down the same path Microsoft did last gen where it had a great start, but finished poorly?

• 
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

The whole PS4 Pro thing certainly is a step backwards... that press conference was the Sony of old. It was awful.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

Nope, still firmly in the drivers seat of current generation 8,

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Too early to tell. a couple a month in a year is hardly a sign when there is a chance sales went down in await of the slim and Pro announcement.

The sales in the next couple of months will tell. Yes, Microsoft is doing better in attempt to grab people.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

While Xbone has gained some composure recently, its still far out from catching Sony. Xbone really needs some exclusives to kick it up a notch

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

I think its Sony's time to struggle in the gaming sector with some recent very stupid moves, which is a good thing as competition and pressure are always a good thing.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

It's been rough for them lately but Sony heads are so high up in their own clouds they don't care. They're not even trying anymore and since their fans don't care, there's no pressure on Sony's part to even offer more to their consumers. I mean they recently increased their subscription and didn't offer a 4K drive option without any worries.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

It most certainly has, they've been making mistake after mistake, pissing off their consumer base, losing hardware sales, charging more money for inferior online services that have shown no improvements or justification for its cost, they're releasing a "4K" console without a 4K Blu-Ray drive that will be rendered technologically inferior in a year, they're releasing a slim model PS4 that is just a PS4, no improvements, they're introducing half-assed 10-bit HDR, they're in a severe drought for games with little to no release date information on most games shown and they keep delaying everything.

They've shit the bed across the board, and it's even worse in comparison because Microsoft is excelling across the board.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 aigis
@dynamitecop said:

it's even worse in comparison because Microsoft is excelling across the board.

I wouldnt go that far

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I spit on my PS4 after they announced the Pro.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dynamitecop

@aigis said:
@dynamitecop said:

I wouldnt go that far

I would, they've been doing absolutely everything right for about a year, they're not faltering, they're not making poor decisions, they're focusing on all the right things and have remained extremely pro consumer.

Phil Spencer at the helm of Xbox has completely revamped everything.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Nope, not really. Still the best system of the gen with the most variety of titles.

These conversations will not happen once Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, God of War, Days Gone and other big games finally come out next year.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12393 Posts

Only time will tell but I really don't think public reception of the Pro has been a total flop.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dynamitecop

@jcrame10 said:

Nope, not really. Still the best system of the gen with the most variety of titles.

These conversations will not happen once Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, God of War, Days Gone and other big games finally come out next year.

There's nothing to suggest God of War or Days Gone will release next year, and with Sony's release and delay track record, 2018 is looking more realistic.

Friendlyfire53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Friendlyfire53
Member since 2003 • 1630 Posts

@jcrame10: It's not called the DelayStation for nothing. If you expect these killer games to come out next year, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Xbone pulling ahead in 2019. Calling it now.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aigis

@dynamitecop said:
@aigis said:
@dynamitecop said:

I wouldnt go that far

I would, they've been doing absolutely everything right for about a year, they're not faltering, they're not making poor decisions, they're focusing on all the right things and have remained extremely pro consumer.

Phil Spencer at the helm of Xbox has completely revamped everything.

Not really... they really havent done anything of note, they just havent been doing anything particularly bad. I dont particularly care about half gens and everyone seems to have latched on to scorpio as a win, but they really need more games. Their big games havent exactly been stellar titles

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

PS4 is the most powerful console and is becoming even more powerful in two months, then, for a year or more it will continue to be the most powerful console available. On top of that, it has more games, better resolution and frame rates.

The difference between PS4 Pro and Xbox One will be night and day this holiday season, and on in to next year with multiplats. Xbox One games keep flopping, and developers are working tighter with Sony than Microsoft these days and it shows in early/exclusive content.

Sony already won this gen. Sorry lems, there's always next gen to try again. lol :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70518 Posts

I don't see why the tide would change.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

Xbox has sold more in 2 months in just the US........not world wide, even with a new model. What do you think is going to happen when the slim and pro release? Last time I checked Amazon the Pro and the slim were ahead of the Xbox....even the regular ps4 because the price went down.

I'm glad the Xbox is doing better, it keeps Sony competitive, but Xbox lost this gen in terms of sales.....it's just not possible to overtake PS4 now, the gap is way too wide.

Now the Scorpio could outsell the Pro maybe, but if it's $100 or more expensive then no way.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

it'll turn when nvidia or microsoft can make a 400 dollar system = to the ps4 pros power

consumers want price/performance all in one little bundle

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

No. The masses buy what they buy. Like Justin Bieber music. Will he ever have the impact or staying power of the Stones, Beatles, Doors, The Who, Metallica, Slayer, Pearl Jam, Nirvana? Hell no. He whines and shit. And we are in an era where sampling noises is considered music rather than being able to play an instrument and create music from silence.

PlayStation is great fun. They make great games and consoles. But they did nothing for me and mine above being a pay for business. It's too easy to root for them. Its bitch shit, band wagon, "I never competed in my life, who is winning, I am with them now" shit.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

Regardless of numbers, I like their direction as of late. To me, that's much more important. I don't see them closing the gap, but I also don't think they need to. Both consoles are selling well.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

No, the lemmings are still getting owned left and right with each passing day which is how things should be for everyone is happier if we can laugh at the lemmings.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Slim consoles always see a boost in sales, so don't look too much into this. Now, if the Xbox One continues to outsell the PS4 for the rest of this year then sure Sony should be on high alert.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

they're introducing half-assed 10-bit HDR

I didn't realize the X1S has better HDR10 than the PS4 does :-P

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

lol no. The gen has already been won, give up lems.

Even if Scorpio ends up being 10TF it won't catch up with PS4, it's too late. Better luck next gen.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dynamitecop

@xantufrog said:
@dynamitecop said:

they're introducing half-assed 10-bit HDR

I didn't realize the X1S has better HDR10 than the PS4 does :-P

You should actually look into it, it's not going to be proper 10-bit HDR, it's a Frankenstein'd attempt at it because the PlayStation 4 doesn't have HDMI 2.0a.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@dynamitecop: is there a source you can link me to? The only thing I've seen anywhere is speculation that the hardware is in fact HDMI 2.0a capable but needs a firmware flash to do this - this being the case because the PS4 was released before 2.0 was finalized, so it was rated at 1.4. Given that the PS3's HDMI was upgradable in this way it's not exactly crazy to hear. But I'm not an AV guru, and a cursory search just now turns up nothing to either support or refute your claim. So share some love man, lemme see the details

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Has it ever once occurred to people that the PS4 isn't selling so hot anymore because everyone that wanted one has gotten one now?

Of course the Xbox One is probably gonna sell more than the PS4 now. It's cheaper than it was at launch and has some games that you can't experience on PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Yes definitely! Lol

2 dead conferences. A lazy complacent company where sales has only become its last life line. A shitty overprice fake 4K upgrade coming out. No exclusives coming out. Communist theme indie game just flopped. A mutant flying ugly dog game that's been vaporware for over 7 years gets another delayed. A has been PS3 graphics sim racer that's been obliterated by another competing sim gets another delayed...

Next thing you know, Scorpio's mere notion has scared the living hell out both its sad rabid fans and their precious holy grail venerable company, Sony themselves.

Things aren't boding well for both parties at all.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@VERTIGO47: You sound incredibly butthurt. Just sayin'.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Friendlyfire53: lol 2019? Ps4 and xbox one will be on the way out by then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

A lem can wish.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@xantufrog said:

@dynamitecop: is there a source you can link me to? The only thing I've seen anywhere is speculation that the hardware is in fact HDMI 2.0a capable but needs a firmware flash to do this - this being the case because the PS4 was released before 2.0 was finalized, so it was rated at 1.4. Given that the PS3's HDMI was upgradable in this way it's not exactly crazy to hear. But I'm not an AV guru, and a cursory search just now turns up nothing to either support or refute your claim. So share some love man, lemme see the details

I guess you didn't get the memo. Nya doesn't need links. He's omniscient.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dynamitecop

@xantufrog said:

It's HDMI 1.4 and was spec'd at that at launch, both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 were, 2.0 wasn't even finalized when the PlayStation 4 was being manufactured and HDR requires at least 2.0a spec so they're jimmy rigging some type of color gamut conversion.

All I know is unless the hardware itself in the PS4 is 2.0, it's going to be some type of faux HDR simulation. Sony hasn't given any type of technical details on it (huge surprise there), which to me basically says that it's some type of smoke and mirrors HDR hype train they're creating.

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Yeah, we'll see about that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

It's HDMI 1.4 and was spec'd at that at launch, both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 were, 2.0 wasn't even finalized when the PlayStation 4 was being manufactured and HDR requires at least 2.0a spec so they're jimmy rigging some type of color gamut conversion.

All I know is unless the hardware itself in the PS4 is 2.0, it's going to be some type of faux HDR simulation. Sony hasn't given any type of technical details on it (huge surprise there), which to me basically says that it's some type of smoke and mirrors HDR hype train they're creating.

"Free HDR for everyone!"

So, in other words, no link.

Gotcha.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

He never has links or anything to back up the tales from his ass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

@Zen_Light:

Not really, lol. But You sound defensive and butthurt all at the same time. I know I speak the brutal truth. But let's be real here. PS4 owners have way too many games to choose from. They're called 3rd Party Games.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zen_Light

@VERTIGO47 said:

@Zen_Light:

Not really, lol. But You sound defensive and butthurt all at the same time. I know I speak the brutal truth. But let's be real here. PS4 owners have way too many games to choose from. They're called 3rd Party Games.

Nu uh, you sound shaken and rocked to your core. PS4P destroying lives n causin' dat anus pain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@quadknight said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

He never has links or anything to back up the tales from his ass.

So I've noticed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

@Zen_Light:

You still sound butthurt. Lol. But you have games already and I forgot to mention SALES!!

Let's see, my truth seem to rattle your spine, and...oh I forgot, it's the more powerful Scorpio that'll soon obliterate the underpowered overprice fake 4KPoS4 Pro that has you cowering. Fear not Cow, like I said, you've got 3rd party games and delayed half arse mediocre exclusives coming soon.

You've got Horizon so that kinda narrows down the vast mediocrity.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zen_Light

@VERTIGO47: Damn, you saw right through me! Scorpio got me so scurred. Microsoft makes real games for real gamers. For real.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

He always has diarrhea of the mouth.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Where is my option for "who gives a shit". Has it ever occurred to any of you to not actually be a fanboy? Games are exciting but video game systems are merely a means to an end. Good and bad games alike can come out on any system. The system is besides the point. Clearly this isn't as hard to understand as you guys make it out to be. Lets worry about which developers are winning. wouldn't that make more sense? Anyway, all console manufacturers are making a ton of money and therefore all are winning and riding the tide. The tide goes not against Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. The tide goes against Atari, Enron and Betamax.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

What would I need a link for? The console's HDMI port hardware is HDMI 1.4, are you really that clueless? When 2.0a is the requirement for HDR, how do you figure they can achieve that with 1.4's much more limited bandwidth?

It has to be some kind of a trick, the same as the trick used with PSVR on the PlayStation 4, interpolating frames to replicate a higher framerate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

What would I need a link for?The console's HDMI port hardware is HDMI 1.4, are you really that clueless? When 2.0a is the requirement for HDR, how do you figure they can achieve that with 1.4's much more limited bandwidth?

It has to be some kind of a trick, the same as the trick used with PSVR on the PlayStation 4, interpolating frames to replicate a higher framerate.

That first part nicely sums up you and all of your arguments in a nutshell. No need for the rest of the reply.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

What would I need a link for? The console's HDMI port hardware is HDMI 1.4, are you really that clueless? When 2.0a is the requirement for HDR, how do you figure they can achieve that with 1.4's much more limited bandwidth?

That nicely sums up you and all of your arguments in a nutshell.

So you're just going to shit post and ignore the fact that the PlayStation 4 has HDMI 1.4 and the requirement for HDR is 2.0a.

Nice life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:

"Free HDR for everyone!"

Gotcha.

So you're just going to shit post and ignore the fact that the PlayStation 4 has HDMI 1.4 and the requirement for HDR is 2.0a.

Nice life.

No, I am simply pointing out **again** your basic behavior, which is to first be enraged by Sony's success, and then to make up all kinds of 'truths' to support your fictitious claims. It never ends with you. I guess that's the point, huh?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Gotcha.

Nice life.

No, I am simply pointing out **again** your basic behavior, which is to first be enraged by Sony's success, and then to make up all kinds of 'truths' to support your fictitious claims. It never ends with you. I guess that's the point, huh?

This is still shit posting, you're ignoring what is being said and going off on some diatribe about me.

Answer a question, if the output hardware only supports HDMI 1.4 spec, how can it perform HDR if the spec requirement for it is HDMI 2.0a?

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#50 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@quadknight: "even if..."

Now you're just making excuses.

If it was released it would be objectively better. You guys lost that one, own up to it.