Has the PS3 surpassed the 360's install base?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NubTub_of_Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NubTub_of_Win
Member since 2010 • 166 Posts
Put on your analyst caps and give me you honest projection. The PS3 is 3.6M units behind the 360 in total sales. This doesn't mean however that the 360 has a bigger install base because of hardware failures amongst other possible reasons, like banned console rebuys, out of warranty, multiple buys for whatever reason. They say the failures rates of each console are around 2% to 10% for the PS3 and 35% to 55% for the 360. Using this info and whatever else you find relevant would you say you believe the PS3 has surpassed the 360's installed base?
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Maybe. But they have a large install base that does not play games with the ps3. Otherwise the ps3 would be outselling the 360 in alot more multiplats.

coola426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 coola426
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

one could make the claim that there are more ps3 OWNERS than there are 360 owners. after all its only in the UK and USA that the 360 really sells everywhere else around the world the ps3 is the console of preference.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
You got any data for that 35 - 55% failure rate, and for the other systems? And who is 'they'? Also, your name reminds me of someone :)
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
No, it could by next year though.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

no.

the extended warranty means people who own 360s didnt have to buy a new console when it died. Im sure a few did... but the vast majority probably just waited the 2 weeks or however long it took. Out of warranty buys were probably significantly more for the ps3 since they have a much shorter warranty.

GrabTheYayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrabTheYayo
Member since 2010 • 1315 Posts

ya well, alot of ps3 buyers just wanted to buy a bluray player and couldnt care less about games.

NubTub_of_Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NubTub_of_Win
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]You got any data for that 35 - 55% failure rate, and for the other systems? And who is 'they'? Also, your name reminds me of someone :)

That's about what every poll and article I've ever seen say. Is the second part of your post your sig? If so that's an amusing twist on rick rolling lol.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

Well, Tehnubtuber, we have no way to know this, so we will just go with the fact that the Xbox sold 41 mil, and the PS3 sold 38 mil. Plus if PS3 was higher it would probably have a higher attach rate too.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"]You got any data for that 35 - 55% failure rate, and for the other systems? And who is 'they'? Also, your name reminds me of someone :)

That's about what every poll and article I've ever seen say. Is the second part of your post your sig? If so that's an amusing twist on rick rolling lol.

Well can you please post some examples? I doubt it's even possible at all to find out how many people in the world own a specific device. Thus we have to use sales and assume that 360 is higher.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

You got any data for that 35 - 55% failure rate, and for the other systems? And who is 'they'? Also, your name reminds me of someone :)Ravensmash

Say it's at 10%, which is super low compared to what people believe it's actually at. That still accounts for the 4 million gap between them.

That being said, 360 probably still has a bigger install base judging from software sales.

NubTub_of_Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NubTub_of_Win
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"]You got any data for that 35 - 55% failure rate, and for the other systems? And who is 'they'? Also, your name reminds me of someone :)

Well can you please post some examples? I doubt it's even possible at all to find out how many people in the world own a specific device. Thus we have to use sales and assume that 360 is higher.

Errr. That's what analysts do no? Make guesses based on limited info?
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

No, not yet. I think the difference is ~5 million (no hard facts, going off vgchartz and older numbers I have heard). That is about half of the margin that it was when the PS3 was released. (These numbers are extremely rough).

You have to take into account that a decent number of people have bought a second 360 after thier first RROD and that there were quite a few that bought a ps3 for blu-ray.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Does it matter? There is no coneivable way of determining what you want.

At the end of the day, we look at what MS/Sony release and go off of that.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
I'm sure they are many people like me that only use the PS3 for movies.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"] That's about what every poll and article I've ever seen say. Is the second part of your post your sig? If so that's an amusing twist on rick rolling lol.

But the only limited info we have is sales. Failure rate would only be confirmed if an official source revealed it, polls online aren't any good - due to the fact that they're uncontrolled. Unless there's been a survey given to 360 owners (verified owners, not just "do you own an xbox") with a large enough sample size to judge potential rates.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 James161324

There really is no way to judge. But from what software sales have shown i would guess the 360 currently has around 1.5-2.0 x more people who buy games

Of course just by hardware sale numbers you can't judge. The wii doesn't have a 60 million install base. Like the hardware numbers say

NubTub_of_Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NubTub_of_Win
I'm sure they are many people like me that only use the PS3 for movies.Chiddaling
I don't doubt that at all. However, I'm sure there are tons of 360's as well as PS3's simply collecting dust in people's homes. The point was trying to guess which console has penetrated more homes. The 360 has the sales advantage, but is it nulified due to rebuys among other potential reasons?
Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tyrant156
Member since 2004 • 737 Posts

Maybe. But they have a large install base that does not play games with the ps3. Otherwise the ps3 would be outselling the 360 in alot more multiplats.

James161324
PS3 does, the games just happen to be Japanese developed games. Like RE5, FF13, Tekken and street fighter
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]I'm sure they are many people like me that only use the PS3 for movies.NubTub_of_Win
I don't doubt that at all. However, I'm sure there are tons of 360's as well as PS3's simply collecting dust in people's homes. The point was trying to guess which console has penetrated more homes. The 360 has the sales advantage, but is it nulified due to rebuys among other potential reasons?

But how do you plan on ever finding that information out? It's irrelevant to be honest. Whether it's rebuys due to broken hardware (on either side), second purchases to upgrade models (like I did to the Elite, and others did with the 360 S/PS3 Slim) etc. etc.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

No, not yet. I think the difference is ~5 million (no hard facts, going off vgchartz and older numbers I have heard). That is about half of the margin that it was when the PS3 was released. (These numbers are extremely rough).

You have to take into account that a decent number of people have bought a second 360 after thier first RROD and that there were quite a few that bought a ps3 for blu-ray.

Jacobistheman

i really doubt a decent number of people bought a new 360 due to RROD. Maybe early on before the extended warranty... but there was only a small window for launch 360 owners when they were out of warranty until MS announced the extended warranty as i recall.

NubTub_of_Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NubTub_of_Win
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Well can you please post some examples? I doubt it's even possible at all to find out how many people in the world own a specific device. Thus we have to use sales and assume that 360 is higher.

But the only limited info we have is sales. Failure rate would only be confirmed if an official source revealed it, polls online aren't any good - due to the fact that they're uncontrolled. Unless there's been a survey given to 360 owners (verified owners, not just "do you own an xbox") with a large enough sample size to judge potential rates.

Noone is asking to undeniable proof dude. NPD for example supposeldy has like a 30% error margin which is pretty big and it's used a lot. Just the opinions of the hardcore gaming community, the one that read those hardware failure articles, follows sales, knows of the bans etc etc.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 James161324

[QUOTE="James161324"]

Tyrant156

PS3 does, the games just happen to be Japanese developed games. Like RE5, FF13, Tekken and street fighter

but thats about it. And i really can't draw anything from 5 games.

the 360 has around 10 million core gamers accourding to the the numbers that micrsoft gives for xbl gold

NubTub_of_Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NubTub_of_Win
[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Chiddaling"]I'm sure they are many people like me that only use the PS3 for movies.Ravensmash

But how do you plan on ever finding that information out? It's irrelevant to be honest. Whether it's rebuys due to broken hardware (on either side), second purchases to upgrade models (like I did to the Elite, and others did with the 360 S/PS3 Slim) etc. etc.

Imagine you work for a game studio, I'm your boss, and I ask you to try to do some research and find which console has the bigger install base. I know it'll never be bulletproof, just asking for educated guesses. And if you don't want to try that's fine. I'm just curious what most people think. I'd like to see if they're on the same page as me.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"] I don't doubt that at all. However, I'm sure there are tons of 360's as well as PS3's simply collecting dust in people's homes. The point was trying to guess which console has penetrated more homes. The 360 has the sales advantage, but is it nulified due to rebuys among other potential reasons?

Imagine you work for a game studio, I'm your boss, and I ask you to try to do some research and find which console has the bigger install base. I know it'll never be bulletproof, just asking for educated guesses. And if you don't want to try that's fine. I'm just curious what most people think. I'd like to see if they're on the same page as me.

Ok, well personally I have no idea - so I'm going to say 360. There wouldn't be that many people who rebrought a console (due to the warranty which is quick) and even if it's out of warranty, it'd be cheaper to get it repaired through MS.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
No since 38M =/= 42M. Also, it doesn't matter if people re-bought 360's for RRoD, banned since people also bought PS3's just for blu-rays and no gaming. Besides, why are you using an alt account, come here with you're real account
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44689 Posts
possible, but then again if it were you'd expect more PS3 multiplatforms sales to beat the Xbox 360 ones, which happens occasionally but most often in Microsoft's favor, but it's close
VladJasonDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VladJasonDrac
Member since 2010 • 601 Posts
[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"]Put on your analyst caps and give me you honest projection. The PS3 is 3.6M units behind the 360 in total sales. This doesn't mean however that the 360 has a bigger install base because of hardware failures amongst other possible reasons, like banned console rebuys, out of warranty, multiple buys for whatever reason. They say the failures rates of each console are around 2% to 10% for the PS3 and 35% to 55% for the 360. Using this info and whatever else you find relevant would you say you believe the PS3 has surpassed the 360's installed base?

and some places say the PS3 failure rate is 15-20% and they charge twice as much to fix an out of warranty console than microsoft.. the 360 failure rate hasnt been that high since the Jasper chip models came out a few years ago. now to answer your question based on the info at hand. I dont care who sells more systems. i have both. i play both. i win.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"]Put on your analyst caps and give me you honest projection. The PS3 is 3.6M units behind the 360 in total sales. This doesn't mean however that the 360 has a bigger install base because of hardware failures amongst other possible reasons, like banned console rebuys, out of warranty, multiple buys for whatever reason. They say the failures rates of each console are around 2% to 10% for the PS3 and 35% to 55% for the 360. Using this info and whatever else you find relevant would you say you believe the PS3 has surpassed the 360's installed base?

yh...no. Also, links to these details. 3.6 million, failure rates, etc.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
I stopped reading when you gave the "hardware failure" line :roll:
Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
Put on your analyst caps and give me you honest projection. The PS3 is 3.6M units behind the 360 in total sales. This doesn't mean however that the 360 has a bigger install base because of hardware failures amongst other possible reasons, like banned console rebuys, out of warranty, multiple buys for whatever reason. They say the failures rates of each console are around 2% to 10% for the PS3 and 35% to 55% for the 360. Using this info and whatever else you find relevant would you say you believe the PS3 has surpassed the 360's installed base? NubTub_of_Win
its gonna be tomorrow or never.
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

Probably, I had to buy another Xbox 360.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

The username of OP is very similar to TehNubTuber...

On-topic: Wansnt there a study conducted that showed PS3 users bought the PS3 mainly for blu ray? So install base would be invalid.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Your whole argument is nothing but speculation that cant be proved.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts
[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]I'm sure they are many people like me that only use the PS3 for movies.NubTub_of_Win

MS replaces for free, there are no rebuys
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The most recent numbers show PS3 at 38.1 and the 360 at 41.8 so it is fairly close.
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Argh, stop it with these dumb threads already. 3.6 million units is a lot, okay? And it isn't as if the PS3 hasn't had any hardware failures. Can't the cows accept once and for all that the PS3 IS BEHIND THE XBOX 360? Okay, it's a great console, it has the best library, it has great exclusives blah blah blah.... BUT IT'S COMING LAST! Simple as that! Stop whining over tha PlayStation family's former glory. The PS3 is the least successful console of the three this generation, accept the facts.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Jacobistheman

Why are you going off of older numbers from vgchartz, which isn't accurate anyway, when official numbers have been released, thus telling you exactly how many sales there have been?

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="NubTub_of_Win"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"] But how do you plan on ever finding that information out? It's irrelevant to be honest. Whether it's rebuys due to broken hardware (on either side), second purchases to upgrade models (like I did to the Elite, and others did with the 360 S/PS3 Slim) etc. etc.Ravensmash

Ok, well personally I have no idea - so I'm going to say 360. There wouldn't be that many people who rebrought a console (due to the warranty which is quick) and even if it's out of warranty, it'd be cheaper to get it repaired through MS.

It's not irrelevant. A sale is a sale, true, but in this industry it's software sales that are the profit driver, and the install base is what drives the software sales.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
No...
NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

Welcome back, TehNubTuber.

The failure rates from 35-55% (though still unconfirmed) only existed for Xbox 360's purchased before 2009. Any consoles produced after that (with the Jasper chip), probably have a failure rate closer to the PS3, about 10-15% if I could take a guess. Who knows what it's at with the 360 S, though.

Also, all of your other points are invalid and could be applied to the PS3 as well.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
Surpass 360 or not , Ps3/Sony shouldnt be happy imho , when is dead thrid for near 5 years now , and MIGHT catch 360 this year or next ( official sales ). This imho is EPIC FAIL... If we add that in the end of generation , Sony will got a big minus number as a total loss of this console gen... ( where billions of losses the past 4 years clearly shows that except if PS3 start selling like crazy the next 5-6 years to fill the gap of loses that i really doubt it ) ... We talking about the epic fail imho... Its a shame really ... To rival X360 , when in reality IS NOT x360 doin good , is PS3 doin BAD vs 2 previous gens ... PERIOD... So stop with all these TOPICS about PS3 catching X360 after 4-5 years or whatever.... In reality you admitting pownage with such posts...( hardware sales not software btw ) Struggle to catch up second when First is x2 above... And be happy about it with 1.2billion losses every year the last 4 years? Come on... Wake up sony fans and admit/see reality at least.
lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

Surpass 360 or not , Ps3/Sony shouldnt be happy imho , when is dead thrid for near 5 years now , and MIGHT catch 360 this year or next ( official sales ). This imho is EPIC FAIL... If we add that in the end of generation , Sony will got a big minus number as a total loss of this console gen... ( where billions of losses the past 4 years clearly shows that except if PS3 start selling like crazy the next 5-6 years to fill the gap of loses that i really doubt it ) ... We talking about the epic fail imho... Its a shame really ... To rival X360 , when in reality IS NOT x360 doin good , is PS3 doin BAD vs 2 previous gens ... PERIOD... So stop with all these TOPICS about PS3 catching X360 after 4-5 years or whatever.... In reality you admitting pownage with such posts...( hardware sales not software btw ) Struggle to catch up second when First is x2 above... And be happy about it with 1.2billion losses every year the last 4 years? Come on... Wake up sony fans and admit/see reality at least. AzatiS

Great post!

How is it "dead" third if its outselling the main competitor every year? The 1 year headstart is almost gone.

The ps3 might not be as big of a success as the ps1 or the ps2, but its doing very good.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Surpass 360 or not , Ps3/Sony shouldnt be happy imho , when is dead thrid for near 5 years now , and MIGHT catch 360 this year or next ( official sales ). This imho is EPIC FAIL... If we add that in the end of generation , Sony will got a big minus number as a total loss of this console gen... ( where billions of losses the past 4 years clearly shows that except if PS3 start selling like crazy the next 5-6 years to fill the gap of loses that i really doubt it ) ... We talking about the epic fail imho... Its a shame really ... To rival X360 , when in reality IS NOT x360 doin good , is PS3 doin BAD vs 2 previous gens ... PERIOD... So stop with all these TOPICS about PS3 catching X360 after 4-5 years or whatever.... In reality you admitting pownage with such posts...( hardware sales not software btw ) Struggle to catch up second when First is x2 above... And be happy about it with 1.2billion losses every year the last 4 years? Come on... Wake up sony fans and admit/see reality at least. lucky_star

Great post!

How is it "dead" third if its outselling the main competitor every year? The 1 year headstart is almost gone.

The ps3 might not be as big of a success as the ps1 or the ps2, but its doing very good.

The PS3 isnt outselling the Wii every year.

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

Lets see, 360 launch was november 2005. So almost all of the 360's sold in the first 2 years since release are outside of warranty now. Its widely assumed that those first batch of consoles had 30% failure rates, though MS will NEVER release that info. But them extending warranty to 3 years says enough. That was not being nice, they would get sued badly if they didn't take action.

Also the people who bought one in the first 2 years are to be considered hardcore gamers who buy alot of games and are not going to throw those away once their xbox breaks outside of warranty. I think they would buy an updated version like the elite or slim (like I did) instead of having it repaired for $80. It was my 3rd rrod so I kinda lost faith that MS can repair it for good.

So yeah, I think its more than reasonable to assume there are 5 million owners with 2 or more 360's.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
the software attach rate (which is more important than hardware sales) on the 360 would suggest that the 360 still has the largest install base,unless a rediculous amount of people bought the Ps3 purely as a blu-ray player,but i can't see it as stand alone BR players have been cheaper than the Ps3 for some time, and the 360 has the highest sales in the two largest gaming region on the planet (US and UK), there have bben so many different figures thrown out about the 360's failure rate that none of them can be trusted, and most people are not as stupid as you think, they would have used there 3 year warranty,and replacements are not classed as sales by MS, plus you would have to factor in YLOD and blu-ray drive failure rebuys for the Ps3 ,although the Ps3 has a lower failure rate, you are more likely to have to re-buy a Ps3 as it is only covered for 1 year, there are far too many factors and variables in play for anybody to accurately come to a conclusion on this matter, so it's a moot point and not worth even debating really. as far as SW is concerned, the 360 still has the higher install base.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

the 360 has more sold they have a larger install base thats the way i see it

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

the software attach rate (which is more important than hardware sales) on the 360 would suggest that the 360 still has the largest install base,unless a rediculous amount of people bought the Ps3 purely as a blu-ray player,but i can't see it as stand alone BR players have been cheaper than the Ps3 for some time, and the 360 has the highest sales in the two largest gaming region on the planet (US and UK), there have bben so many different figures thrown out about the 360's failure rate that none of them can be trusted, and most people are not as stupid as you think, they would have used there 3 year warranty,and replacements are not classed as sales by MS, plus you would have to factor in YLOD and blu-ray drive failure rebuys for the Ps3 ,although the Ps3 has a lower failure rate, you are more likely to have to re-buy a Ps3 as it is only covered for 1 year, there are far too many factors and variables in play for anybody to accurately come to a conclusion on this matter, so it's a moot point and not worth even debating really. as far as SW is concerned, the 360 still has the higher install base.delta3074

Take another look at the software attach ratres. you will see they're not that far appart. read this. http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-software-sales-outstrip-xbox-360s-ps3-attach-rate-up-to-8-1-3807/. Ms has a little higher attach rate but its less than 1 game a person now, even with a years head start. And according to that site sony sold more software in FY 2009.

And the UK is far from one of the largest gaming regions. Japan is way bigger (more than twice the population and way more gamers there), as is the rest of europe, where sony is winning. They didn't close the gap by 4 million in a year by nothing. Just face reality that they're catching up fast.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

the software attach rate (which is more important than hardware sales) on the 360 would suggest that the 360 still has the largest install base,unless a rediculous amount of people bought the Ps3 purely as a blu-ray player,but i can't see it as stand alone BR players have been cheaper than the Ps3 for some time, and the 360 has the highest sales in the two largest gaming region on the planet (US and UK), there have bben so many different figures thrown out about the 360's failure rate that none of them can be trusted, and most people are not as stupid as you think, they would have used there 3 year warranty,and replacements are not classed as sales by MS, plus you would have to factor in YLOD and blu-ray drive failure rebuys for the Ps3 ,although the Ps3 has a lower failure rate, you are more likely to have to re-buy a Ps3 as it is only covered for 1 year, there are far too many factors and variables in play for anybody to accurately come to a conclusion on this matter, so it's a moot point and not worth even debating really. as far as SW is concerned, the 360 still has the higher install base.delta3074
DOesn't the latest financial reports from Sony and MS (the ones putting the worldwide sales a 41 and 38 mil) also indicate that the ps3 had greater total software sales, worldwide? Sure, NPD sales of some multiplats are higher on 360, but that's only NA, where 360 has the largest lead, not worldwide, and even just using NPD, some are higher on PS3 as well.