'Hardcore' is broken? Details at 11...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts

Found this blog entry recently... It makes a lot of sense and reflects the true hardcore types...

http://one-ducks-opinion.blogspot.com/2007/06/goodbye-hardcore-dont-let-door-hit-you.html

It's a short read, but here's the general clasifications and my interpretation of the article...

Casual Hardcore - Name looks like a contradiction but if you read it makes perfect sense... ex. Wii sports and Geometry Wars fanatics

Mainstream Hardcore - Pretty much those people who post threads about games that are popular and how those games and those games alone are what make the system... ex. Halo, MGS, GTA. Zelda

Fanboy Hardcore - 90% of System Wars... No explanation necessary

True Hardcore - Rare, extremely rare. They'll play Everything that they like, regardless of how people view the games. People like me (and a few others here) who can easilly jump from Pokemon to HL2 to Wipeout to Time Crisis, to GTA to etc...

For System Wars Hillarity's sake, I won't quote the article even though I know that most of you won't read it...

*sidenote* Why does GS censor cla ss?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Interesting!!! I would consider myself Casual-Hardcore!!!

Edit: I read the article an he makes a very good point on what a hardcore gamer really is!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
How can you play Pokemon AND HL2? One is kiddy, and one is teh 1337357. *boggles*
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Its really not that hard. A casual gamer is someone who plays games.... casually.

cas·u·al
1. happening by chance; fortuitous: a casual meeting.
2. without definite or serious intention; careless or offhand; passing: a casual remark.
3. seeming or tending to be indifferent to what is happening; apathetic; unconcerned: a casual, nonchalant air.
4. appropriate for wear or use on informal occasions; not dressy: casual clothes; casual wear.
5. irregular; occasional: a casual visitor

A hardcore gamer is someone who plays games more than casually. Thats it. Theres no other definitions of it.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

True Hardcore - Rare, extremely rare. They'll play Everything that they like, regardless of how people view the games. People like me (and a few others here) who can easilly jump from Pokemon to HL2 to Wipeout to Time Crisis, to GTA to etc...

ssbfalco

Don't flatter yourself. Despite how people want to classify each other's gaming habits, I bet MOST of the population falls into this category. Why would you care how other people view the games you're playing? It's ridiculous. In general, I think people play whatever the hell games they like, but I wouldn't call everybody "true hardcore".

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

How can you play Pokemon AND HL2? One is kiddy, and one is teh 1337357. *boggles*Jandurin

There both fun games?

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
I don't think that "true hardcore" is rare. Reading that I classify myself under that. And I'm sure many others here would too.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Guess by definition then I am a true hardcore gamer.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

Well, I guess the definitions described make me a 'true hardcore' gamer. I love all sorts of games across varying genres, target audiences and platforms, and don't hate any of the consoles apart from undeniably awful ones like the CD-i and Jaguar.

Labels are still stupid though IMO. I just play games, because they're fun.

ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ssbfalco
[QUOTE="ssbfalco"]

MyopicCanadian

Don't flatter yourself. Despite how people want to classify each other's gaming habits, I bet MOST of the population falls into this category. Why would you care how other people view the games you're playing? It's ridiculous. In general, I think people play whatever the hell games they like, but I wouldn't call everybody "true hardcore".

This is SW, I just had to throw that bit in XD... I couldn't resist...

I will agree with your point for the most part. There is a certain age group however where it's like "OMG if anyone sees me even looking at this game I'm screwed" mentality... And then there are others who dismiss certain games because they weren't deemed "cool" enough...

And then you had the minority(which unfortuantly was way too large, even adults), those who ... *sigh* Watched G4 when all they did was bash the Cube, and any game that used the color red for anything other than blood or the surface of a car... And don't get them started about pink, neon yellow, and lime green... (although all those colors suck)

*sidenote* I give Sonic props for always using every color possible in those games...

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
hardcore is nothing to be proud of :P
jimbob9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimbob9999
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts

Its really not that hard. A casual gamer is someone who plays games.... casually.

cas·u·al
2. without definite or serious intention; careless or offhand; passing: a casual remark.
3. seeming or tending to be indifferent to what is happening; apathetic; unconcerned: a casual, nonchalant air.
4. appropriate for wear or use on informal occasions; not dressy: casual clothes; casual wear.

A hardcore gamer is someone who plays games more than casually. Thats it. Theres no other definitions of it.

XaosII

Some people like to overcomplicate / elaborate.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I am one of the few gamers I know who has within 20 minutes gone from playing Killzone online because I think it is fun to playing Halo 2 online.

I would consider myself hardcore. I only play what I like. Hell I still buy Dynasty Warriors games because I find them fun.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
This is what I say... you're just a gamer or not. The whole subgenre status is ludicrous, and if you wanna consider yourself some "elite" status, that's fine, it doesn't make you any better a person or gamer still.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I am one of the few gamers I know who has within 20 minutes gone from playing Killzone online because I think it is fun to playing Halo 2 online.

I would consider myself hardcore. I only play what I like. Hell I still buy Dynasty Warriors games because I find them fun.

Wasdie

I think I am one of the only gamers who has gone from playing Gears of War to Mario Party 8... multiple times... >_>

EDIT: And enjoying both quite thoroughly.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

cas·u·al

XaosII

There are also genre preferences that come into play. I know that the vast majority of people who come to SW wouldn't call someone who plays Geometry Wars and Tetris everyday as a hardcore gamer, even though in total, those kinds of people play twice as many hours as most gamers here.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
This thread turned into "post to brag about how pretentiously l337 you are" very quickly.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

*sidenote* Why does GS censor cla ss?

ssbfalco
The word can be used in a web exploit.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"][QUOTE="ssbfalco"]

ssbfalco

This is SW, I just had to throw that bit in XD... I couldn't resist...

I will agree with your point for the most part. There is a certain age group however where it's like "OMG if anyone sees me even looking at this game I'm screwed" mentality... And then there are others who dismiss certain games because they weren't deemed "cool" enough...

And then you had the minority(which unfortuantly was way too large, even adults), those who ... *sigh* Watched G4 when all they did was bash the Cube, and any game that used the color red for anything other than blood or the surface of a car... And don't get them started about pink, neon yellow, and lime green... (although all those colors suck)

*sidenote* I give Sonic props for always using every color possible in those games...

Well perhaps those problems are more prominent than I believe... I haven't really experienced it, but then I don't personally know a lot of gamers. If that does happen, it's really sad ;)

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

I would be considered a true hardcore :)

If I had morecash to spend on games :(

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

There are also genre preferences that come into play. I know that the vast majority of people who come to SW wouldn't call someone who plays Geometry Wars and Tetris everyday as a hardcore gamer, even though in total, those kinds of people play twice as many hours as most gamers here.mjarantilla

Genre preference has nothing to do with it. Someone capable of playing Halo at the pro-tournament level and pretty much only plays Halo is not a casual gamer. Change Halo with Hello Kitty Adventure Island with that same kind of dedication, and you've still got a hardcore gamer. Sure, it may not be the same stuff you are interested in, but that doesnt diminish the dude's dedication to playing the game.

And i should rephrase that it to the amount of time spent doing gaming related things. Soemone could play, say, Unreal Tournament for only 2 or 3 hours a week, but be in a mod making team spending 20+ hours working on his mod (just making textures or models without actually playing). Thats still hardcore.

ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ssbfalco

[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]There are also genre preferences that come into play. I know that the vast majority of people who come to SW wouldn't call someone who plays Geometry Wars and Tetris everyday as a hardcore gamer, even though in total, those kinds of people play twice as many hours as most gamers here.XaosII

Genre preference has nothing to do with it. Someone capable of playing Halo at the pro-tournament level and pretty much only plays Halo is not a casual gamer. Change Halo with Hello Kitty Adventure Island with that same kind of dedication, and you've still got a hardcore gamer. Sure, it may not be the same stuff you are interested in, but that doesnt diminish the dude's dedication to playing the game.

And i should rephrase that it to the amount of time spent doing gaming related things. Soemone could play, say, Unreal Tournament for only 2 or 3 hours a week, but be in a mod making team spending 20+ hours working on his mod (just making textures or models without actually playing). Thats still hardcore.

Which is probably part of what the writer was trying to get at, but failed (kinda). There's hardcore Halo players, hardcore Hello Kitty Island Adventure players (I swear, if someone were to make that game I woudl get it... Butters Owns! (southpark for the uninformed)) Hardcore Sonic players...

And Systemwars favorite, Hardcore fanboys, who basically bash every game that's not the ones they like for one reason or another...

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
I'm casual hardcore I guess.  
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]There are also genre preferences that come into play. I know that the vast majority of people who come to SW wouldn't call someone who plays Geometry Wars and Tetris everyday as a hardcore gamer, even though in total, those kinds of people play twice as many hours as most gamers here.XaosII

Then you're simply defining a person's commitment to a single activity and nothing else. Thanks, but no thanks. That's useless in any practical application, especially here where people arbitrarily associate those labels to others based on genre preference INSTEAD OF activity.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

Guess by definition then I am a true hardcore gamer.foxhound_fox

yep, you are one of the few