Happy Holidays: Gran Turismo 5 "milkage" and damage

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts

GT5 Online mode is alot more robust that what GT: P is offering so stop complaining about that.

now to the matter at hand....Kazunori Yamauchi

"Why are you releasing 'Prologue'? Many people don't want to spend their money in what they consider a demo (Note: like there has ever been such a demo with that amount of amazing, amazing content and features.)

Yamauchi: We believe that at our current pace, GT5 will be ready by December 2008. 4 years will have passed since GT4. It's too much time, mostly for the series fan. There are plenty of things left to do. We also have the online features. It's a completely different product compared to GT4. It's way superior in all aspects. We need to test it fully so that it becomes a perfect product. I consider it dangerous, to say the least, to release a game like this one without having subdued it to the toughest quality assurance tests. Also, since it's something so important, I fear of online features failing. That would be a fatal blow. I intend to introduce online features bit by bit. Another reason to release Prologue is the simple fact that it's been too long since GT4. I want to get the user feedback ASAP. And Prologue is a good way to obtain so.

Regarding the vehicles, have they been redesigned completely?

Yamauchi: Completely, from scratch. We have reused absolutely nothing (*emphasis on this*) from previous versions. Everything is new.

Regarding realism, when will we see car damage?

Yamauchi: Right now we're testing this. We will see car damage in GT5. There are three problems to solve though. Firstly, some car manufacturers don't care to see damage in their cars but others would never allow that. Some cars will be damaged and others won't, depending on the manufacturer. Secondly, the simulation. In Daytona Speedway, for instance, going slightly sideways when getting out of the banked curve and entering the straight section and hitting slightly the rear part of our car against the sides of the track will make our car become utter junk. Game over. It's a small mistake, but physics calculations tell us we'd undergo a 150 G force. That equals death. The car is literally disintegrated. We do not want that. We do not want to destroy the cars. I don't like that. That's ultrarealistic simulation, but if it happens, the game is over, you lose your car. I'm resisting to accept that kind of effect. Right now we're looking into how to make pure simulation and these kind of situations be compatible with each other. And the third problem, the fact that many driving games out there feature this kind of accidents, but I've never seen one which actually provide something positive or are perfect from a technical standpoint. I've got to think a lot about it yet, but I understand the series supporters do want damage and accidents because, for the better or worse, they're an integral part of reality.

Excuse me, but are you telling me Gran Turismo 5 is only possible on PS3 at the moment?

Yamauchi: Yes, exactly. On the other hand, Xbox 360 is not a system designed to support Full HD since the beginning. There are very few 1080p60 games on Xbox 360. It seems like a system designed for the inferior 720p. We're talking about significant differences in this very generation of home consoles. Soon enough people will give credit to the strong attractive of Full HD, of the true high resolution. I want to do videogames that take full advantage of each generation's technical abilities.

[Yamauchi says it would be totally frustrating to develop for Wii because of its lack of processing power and that while people, the industry and media say PS3, Wii and 360 are "Next Gen", the only true Next Gen is provided by PS3].

Credit below
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8972923&postcount=2121

Gran Turismo 5 is a real ambitious game, hopefully it doesn't get delayed again.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I like his comments on the Wii. :lol:
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
He sounds like some sort of tech-religion zealot. The "true high resolution" :)
-PS360FTW-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -PS360FTW-
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
very cool
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
His comments were ok, untill he came to the PS3 next gen part, and begun "bashing" the X360 and the Wii... it's there you see the influence of the Sony Money
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

1. so not all cars in GT5 will have damage leaving a very uneven playing field

2. GT5 prologue can't even get their online racing right... so after 4 years they STILL struggle to get a GT game online? pathetic.

3. selling the exact same game with more cars in less than a year is milking...

4. they need to fix the voicecom in GT games....then again, not every ps3 owner has voicecom so it may be moot...

5.i noticed no mention of an increase in physics parameters meaning they're still at 300 while forza games are at 9,000 (yes, thousand)

6. he lost all cred when he claimed 720p wasn't true hidef... :roll:

very insightful post, tc... :)

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
His comments on the Xbox360 and Wii make him sound like a highly paid by Sony fanboy.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Nice find TC
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Halfbaked car damage FTW!:? It'll be so darn awesome to slam into another car and one car gets damaged, but the other doesn't. If you can't do it to all cars, then don't do it all. Or remove the cars manufacturers vehicles that won't let you use damage modeling.

Anyways, the online is shallow and seems to be behind the times, but it's still fun.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
All the things he said about Gran Turismo 5 Prologue could be accomplished just as easily if the game were free, or even $5-$10. It's a beta test. A beta test shouldn't cost $40.
aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
I'm still counting on the brake, tire, and suspension damage....
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Adrian_Cloud

Halfbaked car damage FTW!:? It'll be so darn awesome to slam into another car and one car gets damaged, but the other doesn't. If you can't do it to all cars, then don't do it all. Or remove the cars manufacturers vehicles that won't let you use damage modeling.

Anyways, the online is shallow and seems to be behind the times, but it's still fun.

BioShockOwnz

Kaz is trying to please everyone, and in the end no one will be satsified. I think it was a good interview(question wise) he also is real dedictated so nothing will be halfbaked by GT5's release.

DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts

As anyone ever tought that non-damage cars maybe be in a diferrent class than damage cars, thus making impossible to have un-even races?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

2. GT5 prologue can't even get their online racing right... so after 4 years they STILL struggle to get a GT game online? pathetic.

4. they need to fix the voicecom in GT games....then again, not every ps3 owner has voicecom so it may be moot...

5.i noticed no mention of an increase in physics parameters meaning they're still at 300 while forza games are at 9,000 (yes, thousand)

tango90101

Stop trying man. You are trying with all of your energy to bash anything Ps3 related especially GT5P. Take a brether, let people who actually care talk ok? All you do is post complete BS everytime, making things up as you go.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Adrian_Cloud

As anyone ever tought that non-damage cars maybe be in a diferrent class than damage cars, thus making impossible to have un-even races?

DarkCloud79

Sounds logical..with over 500 cars i couldn't see this being a problem.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Nice find, but I have the demo so I'm going to wait for full release and skip Prologue.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

Chutebox

Stop trying man. You are trying with all of your energy to bash anything Ps3 related especially GT5P. Take a brether, let people who actually care talk ok? All you do is post complete BS everytime, making things up as you go.

Don't blame me.. blame kaz for releasing a gimped version of gt5...

if you consider facts as "bs" maybe you need to read more...;)

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidSnake35
if you consider facts as "bs" maybe you need to read more...;)tango90101
You think you can speak facts regarding a game not yet released? How sweet.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

tango90101

Don't worry, you're right. Some people can't handle constructive criticism.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tango90101

[QUOTE="tango90101"]if you consider facts as "bs" maybe you need to read more...;)SolidSnake35

Tell it to the tc who used an interview of things to be as "facts"...

even after kaz lied about Gt4's online and can't even get the demo running right...

what kaz promises and what he delivers are mostly two very different things...

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

tango90101

I think hes right.. you kinda twisted what Kaz said in the interview. Or ignored what he directly stated. like #5, there wasn't even a question related to that so why would he bring it up? Not only that but the physics calculations still have work to do if you read his quote about damage.
He never said that 720p wasn't high def, but just that it wasn't the true rendering of what games are capable.

" Soon enough people will give credit to the strong attractive of Full HD, of the true high resolution. I want to do videogames that take full advantage of each generation's technical abilities."

1080p is clearly the highest resolution available for this gen tech and t.vs. Pcs on the other hand is a total different story.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="tango90101"]if you consider facts as "bs" maybe you need to read more...;)tango90101

even after kaz lied about Gt4's online and can't even get the demo running right...

He delivered with GT4. He'll most likely do the same with GT5.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="tango90101"]if you consider facts as "bs" maybe you need to read more...;)SolidSnake35

- online multiplayer, of course...

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="tango90101"]if you consider facts as "bs" maybe you need to read more...;)BioShockOwnz

- online multiplayer, of course...

It didn't stop it from being amazing. Going by that logic, no game has ever or will ever deliver because there will always be something that's not there.
BovinesOnPaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BovinesOnPaska
Member since 2007 • 540 Posts
Another Sony dev full of BS :lol:
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BioShockOwnz

It didn't stop it from being amazing. Going by that logic, no game has ever or will ever deliver because there will always be something that's not there.SolidSnake35

Polyphony did originally state that GT4 would have online multiplayer, then it was delayed for a long time and multiplayer was removed. Pretty damn big disappointment at the time.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
i like the car blowing to smithereens when you hit an angle... BOOM. and then you get a message *U R DED, BUY ANOTHER COPY*.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sonicmj1

BioShockOwnz

Maybe they won't model the damage cosmetically on those cars where they aren't allowed to, but still have damage effects on the cars when they race.

Gamersince81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gamersince81
Member since 2007 • 1787 Posts
Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Adrian_Cloud

i like the car blowing to smithereens when you hit an angle... BOOM. and then you get a message *U R DED, BUY ANOTHER COPY*.crunchUK

lol..That would be "realistic".
on a side note, man people here are never satisfied.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sonicmj1

Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!Gamersince81

It's not about wanting to crash a car.

It's about, when you hit a wall or another vehicle by accident, having appropriate things happen. It's about realism.

Arsenal325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Arsenal325
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts

some cars will have damage? so some probably means in the hundreds range.. hahaha.. im fine with that...

cant wait for the god of sim racers to come out.. BAHHH!!!!

BovinesOnPaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BovinesOnPaska
Member since 2007 • 540 Posts

some cars will have damage? so some probably means in the hundreds range.. hahaha.. im fine with that...

cant wait for the god of sim racers to come out.. BAHHH!!!!

Arsenal325

Too bad there is a sim racer god out already and is forza 2.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="Gamersince81"]Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!sonicmj1

It's not about wanting to crash a car.

It's about, when you hit a wall or another vehicle by accident, having appropriate things happen. It's about realism.

Bingo! I'm glad some people understand.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
I really liked him until he started brown-nosing sony right at the end. I hate developers who are puppets of the big publishing companies.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Wow. the ultimate car simulator. I didn't know in real life some cars are invulnerable and others aren't.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix
I really liked him until he started brown-nosing sony right at the end. I hate developers who are puppets of the big publishing companies.Ninja-Vox
Hey, I'd kiss Sony's ass too if they let me take years and years to produce my games. I'm still waiting for GT mobile..:| I bought a PSP at launch just for that game. Suffice to say, I take anything Polyphony says with a grain of salt.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

wow, at the ending comments............nice job making yourself look like a fool.

Anyway, proof right there that GT is not a true simulater. GTR2 and Race 07 are.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
The game features voice chat, a lobby and friends list. It wins.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Adrian_Cloud

Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!Gamersince81

Exactly thats the situation there in, the manufacturers definately don't and if your trying to win the race neither should you. I thought this interview would clear things up but people are still foggy around the whole damage situation.

1.firstly, some car manufacturers don't care to see damage in their cars but others would never allow that. Some cars will be damaged and others won't, depending on the manufacturer.

2.Secondly, the simulation. In Daytona Speedway, for instance, going slightly sideways when getting out of the banked curve and entering the straight section and hitting slightly the rear part of our car against the sides of the track will make our car become utter junk. Game over. It's a small mistake, but physics calculations tell us we'd undergo a 150 G force. That equals death.

That kinda realism...is not fun. "That's ultrarealistic simulation, but if it happens, the game is over, you lose your car."
Sorry Forza wasn't even as ambitious to encounter these problems.

3."the fact that many driving games out there feature this kind of accidents, but I've never seen one which actually provide something positive or are perfect from a technical standpoint."

This should stop people from complaining..'nuff said.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heretrix

[QUOTE="Gamersince81"]Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!Adrian_Cloud

Exactly thats the situation there in, the manufacturers definately don't and if your trying to win the race neither should you. I thought this interview would clear things up but people are still foggy around the whole damage situation.

1.firstly, some car manufacturers don't care to see damage in their cars but others would never allow that. Some cars will be damaged and others won't, depending on the manufacturer.

2.Secondly, the simulation. In Daytona Speedway, for instance, going slightly sideways when getting out of the banked curve and entering the straight section and hitting slightly the rear part of our car against the sides of the track will make our car become utter junk. Game over. It's a small mistake, but physics calculations tell us we'd undergo a 150 G force. That equals death.

That kinda realism...is not fun. "That's ultrarealistic simulation, but if it happens, the game is over, you lose your car."

3."the fact that many driving games out there feature this kind of accidents, but I've never seen one which actually provide something positive or are perfect from a technical standpoint."

You believe that gallon of BS if you want to. I don't think anyone is asking for total realism here, but to have cars bouncing off of each other is completely lame. It's just an excuse. If Forza is able to do it then GT should be able to find a way to do it better. That's what this should be about. Not stating "we can't do it, so it not fun" THAT'S CRAP.

You know what's not fun? Having to earn a license to drive in career mode.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

So basically. Not every car will have damage?

Hmm, I'm fine with that. It just depends which ones.

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts

The game features voice chat, a lobby and friends list. It wins.LTomlinson21

Wow Sony really understand what gamerswant, man that are so innovative where do they come up with this stuff?

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

[QUOTE="Gamersince81"]Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!heretrix

You believe that gallon of BS if you want to. I don't think anyone is asking for total realism here, but to have cars bouncing off of each other is completely lame. It's just an excuse. If Forza is able to do it then GT should be able to find a way to do it better. That's what this should be about. Not stating "we can't do it, so it not fun" THAT'S CRAP.

"I've got to think a lot about it yet, but I understand the series supporters do want damage and accidents because, for the better or worse, they're an integral part of reality. "

There are you now satisfied? Straight out of Kaz's mouth and beleive it or not you can use other cars to propel you Forza and even keep you on the course if your late in breaking like in any other racing game. This amazing "damage" that you've been talking about does not exist. The only thing that makes forza's damage great is because its not only cosmetic but the car parts gets damaged as well. CARS BOUNCE OF EACH OTHER IN EVERY RACER IN EXISTENCE! / lame argument.

2. "gallon of bs", now how can you honestly judge and say that is a gallon of BS? Not only do you nor understand the legal process that has undergone to get the cars in the game. You can't call someones personal experience with the game he is making BS.

3. Tell me on racing game you can't bounce of another car, this is starting to bug me. (probably the worst argument ever).

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

[QUOTE="Gamersince81"]Who wants to crash a $400,000 car on a videogame???? Go play Burnout or somthin. Say what you want but i know ten,yes ten people that are buying a PS3 bye the time GT5 hits the shelves.. the game is GOD among racing games so you fanboys get over it.. Thank you and have a nice day!Adrian_Cloud

"I've got to think a lot about it yet, but I understand the series supporters do want damage and accidents because, for the better or worse, they're an integral part of reality. "

There are you now satisfied? Straight out of Kaz's mouth and beleive it or not you can use other cars to propel you Forza and even keep you on the course if your late in breaking like in any other racing game. This amazing "damage" that you've been talking about does not exist. The only thing that makes forza's damage great is because its not only cosmetic but the car parts gets damaged as well. CARS BOUNCE OF EACH OTHER IN EVERY RACER IN EXISTENCE! / lame argument.

2. "gallon of bs", now how can you honestly judge and say that is a gallon of BS? Not only do you nor understand the legal process that has undergone to get the cars in the game. You can't call someones personal experience with the game he is making BS.

3. Tell me on racing game you can't bounce of another car, this is starting to bug me. (probably the worst argument ever).

If every car in Forza 2, their direct competition can be damaged, why can't they do it? It's quite obvious that the Forza developers were able to get past this, why can't Polyphony?

You can skate around the subject all you want, but in the version of Forza 2 I played, if you crashed into somebody, the damage affected your car, cosmetically and physically.. Is it completely realistic? No. And I don't expect it to be. But what I do expect is a game calling it the ultimate in any respect, be the ULTIMATE.

All I'm saying is Forza was able to do it and they can't. what's the problem?

Avatar image for speedjunkie1992
speedjunkie1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 speedjunkie1992
Member since 2006 • 1395 Posts

tango90101

Whoa whoa.... where did it say they're still using 300 parameters then? Also, this is the first GT game to truely use online functionality so don't whine that they haven't exactly got it right. You've got a right to an opinion but it kinda sucks so twas pointless :)

Guitartod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Guitartod
Member since 2007 • 830 Posts
All My 360 games run at 1080p just fine.........
snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts
As soon as he said Full HD, I tuned out the rest. It is all sony marketing propaganda.
adfaadfa2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 adfaadfa2003
Member since 2003 • 718 Posts

BioShockOwnz

I would have assumed that when playing online you could either have damage on or off, and if on then you can only use certain cars. That would seem the sensible way to do it :P. As for offline maybe they will do something similar...

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts

As soon as he said Full HD, I tuned out the rest. It is all sony marketing propaganda.snyper1982

Yes exactly more Sony propaganda from another sony only developer where nothing can be done outside the "power of the PS3" how many times have we heard that before???? I can't see how anyone can even take them seriously anymore but the Sony fanboys just love to chew on that cud