Handheld gaming is on its last legs in the West

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Looking at the January NPD, the future for handheld doesn't look too bright.

Nintendo was too embarassed to even release sales information on the 3DS. Mario Kart 7 was at a distant #7 on the software sales charts despite no new releases, and it is pretty much to only game worth buying on the system. #7 is a pretty low spot. Usually games in that position sell less than 100k. The only other game worth buying, Super Mario 3D Land, has disappeared off the top 10.

We can only take a guess at 3DS hardware sales for January, but looking at the pitiful software sales, it doesn't sound like it went over too well.

Now let's analyze the Vita. This platform has ZERO media hype. None. Nada. Type "Vita" into Google News and half the stuff is not even related to Vita, or it talks about its pathetic Japan sales (which, I might add, are lower than even the PS3's when it launched). Why do cows believe this overpriced, massive, and feature-less system will do so well in the West is beyond me. Uncharted 3 didn't even sell 2 million in the US. Hot Shots Golf is practically a niche game despite its target audience. All the other games are ports that have a superior version on a console you already own (PS3 or Xbox 360). Talk about an exciting launch.

The truth is all around us, but we're all choosing to deny it. Smartphones are selling faster than ever: almost everyone has one. These devices can play games, and they do it better. The games are cheaper, more suited to handheld play, have better graphics and appeal to all demographics. The most wanted Christmas present from children (the biggest demographic for handheld systems) was unsurprisingly NOT the 3DS. The 3DS wasn't even on the map. Kids nowadays want iPod Touches, iPads and iPhones.

For one, they are socially acceptable, which is pretty important for most young people. Second of all, they have the games people want. What are the best series on handhelds? Ace Attorney, Final Fantasy, Ghost Trick, and a bunch of other RPGs. ALL these games are being ported to iOS. You buy Resident Evil Revelations for $50 right now, but don't complain when it's available on iOS for $15, 6 months later. Third, you can truly play them anywhere. The 3DS is huge, and if you're taking it out, you better confirm to yourself that you are at least going to playing it for 10 minutes. If you're waiting in line at the bank, you wouldn't get a 3DS out. The scene would be comical. Smartphone games are the true definition of quick pick up and play. There are games you can play for as quick as 2 minutes a go, and there are deep RPGs and niche SHMUPs that can last you for hours. There's something for everyone, and almost every situation.

TL;DR Handheld system sales are very poor. Handheld gaming is outdated. New technology will replace old.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Does not bode well for Vita, especially considering how it launches in about a week and almost no one knows what it even is.

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Yes handheld gaming just isn't cool, its only popular in japan

I have never seen adult playing handheld at public in my country

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Off to playing on cellphones then.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Zurrur

Try going out.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Zurrur
You must live in a small and poor country
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Ok, TC you need to do research. Found this on GAF explaining 3DS sales [QUOTE="NeoGAF"] "If we suppose Nintendo is talking about NPD datas, and not internal datas... At October, they were at over 1.65 millions. From now on, let's just pick the number, without the "over". At November, they did "over" 795k. NPD Datas. So, 1.650.000 + 795.000 = 2.445.000 Then, for December, we hadn't the official Nintendo PR with NPD datas, but one much earlier, with the 4 millions figure. Then, with the investor meeting, we had finally the concrete NPD datas for December, since Nintendo uses them for the quarterly investor meetings Dec, 2011: 360 - 1.73m 3DS - 1.60m Wii - 1.06m PS3 - 0.95m DS - 0.63m PSP - 0.26m So, 2.445.000 + 1.600.000 = 4.045.000 Considering the 4.250.000 figure without the "over", we have a base of 205k. So, 3DS should have done at least 205k for the month, if the report in the IGN article is based on NPD datas."

205K isn't bad at all considering how bad the industry did for the month. You've got to realize how silly it is to say the 3DS, handheld gaming could be on its last legs when the 3DS sold 1.6 million last month in America, and 15 million worldwide in 11 months. Also, next month the NPD adds Wal-Mart, so sales will be up a good amount /thread
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Did you forget to login to your alt?

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I'm sure the 3DS will pick up more steam, especially with Nintendo's new 3DS tv commercials that will be airing, and Nintendo isn't one to not promote their products. The only thing the 3DS really needs though, is some Touch Generation titles that sold the DS to the masses. It doesn't need to be a new Brain Age or thing of that sort, but Nintendo's 3DS right now seems to be a little too "hardcore" with only Mario Kart and SM3DL really being the kind of games for "anyone."
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Good job.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Eponique
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] You must live in a small and poor country

I live in Canada and take public transport pretty much every day. Haven't seen a handheld system since 3DS launch, and even before that I hadn't seen an adult carry one since 2007-2008. [QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]Ok, TC you need to do research. Nintendo has said repeatedly that when something sells "More than X number" that they can actually be even higher, like 100,000 units higher Nintendo said they broke "just over" 4 million units in the USA for 2011, and guess what? It ended up being 4.1 million, so they didn't even tell us about the extra 100k units Also, the 3DS sold 4 million in 2011 the last time Nintendo told us, and it ended up really being 4.1, so if it "passed" 4.25 in January. If the 3DS is doing that bad than the PS3, Wii and even the 360 are in huge trouble, because the 3DS finished second to the 360 last month. Besides, the whole industry is down. Don't forget Nintendo sold 15 million 3DS units worldwide already. That isn't DS/Wii levels, but that is far from "last legs"

If it sold only 150k in January that would be pretty low. That's less than 50k a week. The original DS used to sell 500k+ a month. That looks like almost an 80% reduction in sales. Also, the DS sold 50 million in the US. The DS sold 30 million in Japan. But look at the contrast now; 5 million 3DSs in Japan and only 4 million in the US. I doubt the Japanese market has expanded, so that doesn't reflect too well on handheld gaming's appeal in the West. Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 are on their way out. It doesn't matter if they're in "big trouble". Their time has come and gone. If the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox 720 were all selling poorly, THEN we should hit the panic button.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] You must live in a small and poor country

I live in Canada and take public transport pretty much every day. Haven't seen a handheld system since 3DS launch, and even before that I hadn't seen an adult carry one since 2007-2008. [QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]Ok, TC you need to do research. Nintendo has said repeatedly that when something sells "More than X number" that they can actually be even higher, like 100,000 units higher Nintendo said they broke "just over" 4 million units in the USA for 2011, and guess what? It ended up being 4.1 million, so they didn't even tell us about the extra 100k units Also, the 3DS sold 4 million in 2011 the last time Nintendo told us, and it ended up really being 4.1, so if it "passed" 4.25 in January. If the 3DS is doing that bad than the PS3, Wii and even the 360 are in huge trouble, because the 3DS finished second to the 360 last month. Besides, the whole industry is down. Don't forget Nintendo sold 15 million 3DS units worldwide already. That isn't DS/Wii levels, but that is far from "last legs"

If it sold only 150k in January that would be pretty low. That's less than 50k a week. The original DS used to sell 500k+ a month. That looks like almost an 80% reduction in sales. Also, the DS sold 50 million in the US. The DS sold 30 million in Japan. But look at the contrast now; 5 million 3DSs in Japan and only 4 million in the US. I doubt the Japanese market has expanded, so that doesn't reflect too well on handheld gaming's appeal in the West. Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 are on their way out. It doesn't matter if they're in "big trouble". Their time has come and gone. If the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox 720 were all selling poorly, THEN we should hit the panic button.

Did you really just compare 7 years of DS sales data to 11 months of 3DS sales data? Are you friggin' kidding me? I can't take you seriously anymore. And you may think the PS3/360 are on their way out, but there is a good chance they don't have new consoles pushing them out the door until Fall 2013 Wow, I can't believe you compared that sales data lol. Also, I edited my post with more information, based on, math.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
While I agree that the IOS and Android phones are taking over the mobile gaming market, they will not completely dominate it until full fledged, legitimate games like a Mario Kart, Resident Evil or something of that nature comes out! Plants Vs. Zombies, Infinity Blade 2 and Angry Birds only get you so far!!
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

Dedicated handhelds are dead men walking.

But I am sure they'll limp along for a few more years before they morph/merge.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eponique
[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]Ok, TC you need to do research. Found this on GAF explaining 3DS sales [QUOTE="NeoGAF"] "If we suppose Nintendo is talking about NPD datas, and not internal datas... At October, they were at over 1.65 millions. From now on, let's just pick the number, without the "over". At November, they did "over" 795k. NPD Datas. So, 1.650.000 + 795.000 = 2.445.000 Then, for December, we hadn't the official Nintendo PR with NPD datas, but one much earlier, with the 4 millions figure. Then, with the investor meeting, we had finally the concrete NPD datas for December, since Nintendo uses them for the quarterly investor meetings Dec, 2011: 360 - 1.73m 3DS - 1.60m Wii - 1.06m PS3 - 0.95m DS - 0.63m PSP - 0.26m So, 2.445.000 + 1.600.000 = 4.045.000 Considering the 4.250.000 figure without the "over", we have a base of 205k. So, 3DS should have done at least 205k for the month, if the report in the IGN article is based on NPD datas."

205K isn't bad at all considering how bad the industry did for the month. You've got to realize how silly it is to say the 3DS, handheld gaming could be on its last legs when the 3DS sold 1.6 million last month in America, and 15 million worldwide in 11 months. Also, next month the NPD adds Wal-Mart, so sales will be up a good amount /thread

205k is what the DS and GBA did on their slow months. Not to mention 205k is a far cry from the "dying" 270k of the Xbox 360 :lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales DS sales were 4.6 million in the US a year after launch. That was WITH the competition from PSP and GBA. And "adding" Wal-mart won't change the sales. They already included Walmart in their extrapolated sales. The only difference is that the sales will be more accurate, not higher.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eponique
[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Did you really just compare 7 years of DS sales data to 11 months of 3DS sales data? Are you friggin' kidding me? I can't take you seriously anymore. And you may think the PS3/360 are on their way out, but there is a good chance they don't have new consoles pushing them out the door until Fall 2013 Wow, I can't believe you compared that sales data lol. Also, I edited my post with more information, based on, math.

The 3DS is selling slower than the DS even if you put them launch-aligned.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think they'll be fine. for a good while at least.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eponique
I'm sure the 3DS will pick up more steam, especially with Nintendo's new 3DS tv commercials that will be airing, and Nintendo isn't one to not promote their products. The only thing the 3DS really needs though, is some Touch Generation titles that sold the DS to the masses. It doesn't need to be a new Brain Age or thing of that sort, but Nintendo's 3DS right now seems to be a little too "hardcore" with only Mario Kart and SM3DL really being the kind of games for "anyone." yoshi_64
There's no such game on the horizon. Even then, chances are it will be priced $40, which is too expensive for a market that now has $1~$10 as their average.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] You must live in a small and poor country

Also, you don't take into account that in the months following the 3DS price drop in America it sold 3 million of that 4 million in 4 months And you compare 7 years of DS data, but you didn't even take the time to do the math that if the 3DS sells 5 million a year in Japan, that it would reach the 30 million unit sales of the DS in Japan in 4 years instead of 7. All you had to do was a little math to see that the 3DS is selling faster than the DS. Furthermore, despite 3DS sales not being consistently near the 500k levels of DS in the past, it sold much faster than the DS ever did in the months following the price drop Between 8/11 thru 12/12 the 3DS sold 3 million units + in USA, while the DS did have some strong 4 month quarters throughout its 7 years in the USA, but the DS usually averaged 2.3 million units over each 4 month period in the USA for its 50 million + over 7 years in the region. (Math is the DS sells 50 million divided by 7 years, that is above 7.1 million per year taking into account good years and bad years in sales, than divide 7.1 million per year by the three 4 month periods in a year, and the DS would come out at 2.3 million per four month period)
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waltefmoney

Also handheld gaming needs to get on its knees if it wants to survive. Amirite or amirite?

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Did you really just compare 7 years of DS sales data to 11 months of 3DS sales data? Are you friggin' kidding me? I can't take you seriously anymore. And you may think the PS3/360 are on their way out, but there is a good chance they don't have new consoles pushing them out the door until Fall 2013 Wow, I can't believe you compared that sales data lol. Also, I edited my post with more information, based on, math.

The 3DS is selling slower than the DS even if you put them launch-aligned.

Then why it take the 3DS nearly half the time to reach 30 million units in Japan if it keeps selling at its current pace, you know the 30 million units the DS sold in Japan over 7 years, not the 4 it would take the 3DS currently
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eponique
While I agree that the IOS and Android phones are taking over the mobile gaming market, they will not completely dominate it until full fledged, legitimate games like a Mario Kart, Resident Evil or something of that nature comes out! Plants Vs. Zombies, Infinity Blade 2 and Angry Birds only get you so far!!ShoTTyMcNaDeS
All the Ace Attorney games are available on iOS. Ghost Trick recently came out as well. There's also Final Fantasy I-IV and Tactics Ogre. Let's not forget the hardcore Cave SHMUPs such as DeathSmiles and Espgaluda, and there's more to come. iOS and Android appeal to all different play styles.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]I'm sure the 3DS will pick up more steam, especially with Nintendo's new 3DS tv commercials that will be airing, and Nintendo isn't one to not promote their products. The only thing the 3DS really needs though, is some Touch Generation titles that sold the DS to the masses. It doesn't need to be a new Brain Age or thing of that sort, but Nintendo's 3DS right now seems to be a little too "hardcore" with only Mario Kart and SM3DL really being the kind of games for "anyone." Eponique
There's no such game on the horizon. Even then, chances are it will be priced $40, which is too expensive for a market that now has $1~$10 as their average.

Mario Kart 7 will still go pretty good, it was number 4 in December, number 7 last month. You've got RE: R that will move some units in Feb, but expect Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario in April-May, and its shaping up to have Animal Crossing in the summer. Also, you're forgetting Nintendo announced a New Super Mario Bros for the 3DS for this next fiscal year, which anyone who isn't stupid knows that means it will release in Fall 2012. Lol, $1-$10 the average. I could go on for days about how I disagree with that but it would be a never ending conversation. All the $1 gamers on app stores can enjoy the race to the bottom and lack of production values in their games as far as I'm concerned, with rare exceptions of course but that's just my opinion and it means nothing else so don't take it like I think it means much more than that. All I can say is both Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land have sold well over 5-6 million copies worldwide in 60 days or less. (meaning 30% of 3DS base has them)
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Phones/tablets have gotten popular but not 1 system appeals to all demographics which is why we have so many ways to game
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
Handheld gaming is more fun than most of the boring stuff you get on consoles anyway. Popular or not, the number of fun games released doesn't seem to be dwindling, so don't care. iPod Touch, meh.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]While I agree that the IOS and Android phones are taking over the mobile gaming market, they will not completely dominate it until full fledged, legitimate games like a Mario Kart, Resident Evil or something of that nature comes out! Plants Vs. Zombies, Infinity Blade 2 and Angry Birds only get you so far!!Eponique
All the Ace Attorney games are available on iOS. Ghost Trick recently came out as well. There's also Final Fantasy I-IV and Tactics Ogre. Let's not forget the hardcore Cave SHMUPs such as DeathSmiles and Espgaluda, and there's more to come. iOS and Android appeal to all different play styles.

And which platform are Professor Layton games, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney coming out on? Also, what do you do if (and it could go to iOS too) Ace Attorney 5 is announced not for iOS but for DS or 3DS? Not all Ace Attorney games are on iOS btw. Why doesn't everyone realize that just like flash gaming killing console/pc gaming, handheld gaming killing console gaming, console gaming killing pc gaming, pc gaming killing console gaming, all these scenarios where people thought one type of gaming was going to kill off another it turned out each got stronger on their own and all of them co-exist.
zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

PS Vita is certainly almost dead and yes smart phones are replacing portables more or less and Sonys latest device is dieing a disgraceful death because of its rubbish first and third party content.

However the 3DS is an exception.It is on its way to outsell the life time sales of the PS3 in just one year in Japan.3DS might not do as well as the DS but it will probably still outsell Wii and Wii U,Xbox 360 and 720 and PS3 and PS4.Your argument could be used to say that consoles are dieing as well and being replace by PC.3DS has already sold 15 million units and is not even out for 1 year on market.It is doing better than PS3 and Xbox 360 and also better than the original DS.PS Vita deseves to be ignored by consumers as it is another shameful device by Sony and the Vita is dieing because third party have deserted Sony to go to Nintendo with Monster Hunter 3,4,Dragon Quest,Metal Gear,Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts.

PS Vitas failure,as it is flopping much much harder than the Dreamcast,indicates that the PS4 will be Sonys last consoles if they lose third party support to Nintendo,just like it is happening with the 3DS.Fanboys dont like to admit it but no one cares about Sonys first party,people buy their consoles to play third party games like COD,FiFa,Madden,NFS,GTA,ReD Ded,Final Fantasy etc.If Sony has to rely on their first party then PS4 will be dead on arrival just like the PS Vita.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Handheld gaming is only good for JRPGs, that's why.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eponique

Also, you don't take into account that in the months following the 3DS price drop in America it sold 3 million of that 4 million in 4 months And you compare 7 years of DS data, but you didn't even take the time to do the math that if the 3DS sells 5 million a year in Japan, that it would reach the 30 million unit sales of the DS in Japan in 4 years instead of 7. All you had to do was a little math to see that the 3DS is selling faster than the DS. Furthermore, despite 3DS sales not being consistently near the 500k levels of DS in the past, it sold much faster than the DS ever did in the months following the price drop Between 8/11 thru 12/12 the 3DS sold 3 million units + in USA, while the DS did have some strong 4 month quarters throughout its 7 years in the USA, but the DS usually averaged 2.3 million units over each 4 month period in the USA for its 50 million + over 7 years in the region. (Math is the DS sells 50 million divided by 7 years, that is above 7.1 million per year taking into account good years and bad years in sales, than divide 7.1 million per year by the three 4 month periods in a year, and the DS would come out at 2.3 million per four month period)bonesawisready5
5 million a year takes 6 years to get to 30 million by my calculations. That's also assuming it won't have a massive slow down after it hits 20 million like the DS had, because by then the market would be oversaturated. No way is the 3DS going to sell ~200k a week the DS did.

And no, the 3DS price drop sales are only 200-300k if you ignore any holiday bumps. The DS sold 500k+ OUTSIDE of the holiday season without price drops. Even in the holiday season, it would sell 3 million+, not 1.6 million the 3DS did. 3DS sales are nowhere near DS sales.

As for Japan sales.

Good luck trying to conquer that DS holiday bump. Anyway, this thread is not about Japan. It's about the West, as you can see in the title.

The reason the DS is selling slowly in your math is because you are comparing 3DS holiday season to DS's normal season. The DS sold almost ~5 million each holiday season, as you can see in the above Wiki link I gave. So no, 3DS are nothing like the DS sales. You can't ignore all the 500k+ months the DS had, and then look at the sub-200k the 3DS is pulling in a positive light.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bonesawisready5

PS Vita is certainly almost dead and yes smart phones are replacing portables more or less and Sonys latest device is dieing a disgraceful death because of its rubbish first and third party content.

However the 3DS is an exception.It is on its way to outsell the life time sales of the PS3 in just one year in Japan.3DS might not do as well as the DS but it will probably still outsell Wii and Wii U,Xbox 360 and 720 and PS3 and PS4.Your argument could be used to say that consoles are dieing as well and being replace by PC.3DS has already sold 15 million units and is not even out for 1 year on market.It is doing better than PS3 and Xbox 360 and also better than the original DS.PS Vita deseves to be ignored by consumers as it is another shameful device by Sony and the Vita is dieing because third party have deserted Sony to go to Nintendo with Monster Hunter 3,4,Dragon Quest,Metal Gear,Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts.

PS Vitas failure,as it is flopping much much harder than the Dreamcast,indicates that the PS4 will be Sonys last consoles if they lose third party support to Nintendo,just like it is happening with the 3DS.Fanboys dont like to admit it but no one cares about Sonys first party,people buy their consoles to play third party games like COD,FiFa,Madden,NFS,GTA,ReD Ded,Final Fantasy etc.If Sony has to rely on their first party then PS4 will be dead on arrival just like the PS Vita.

zeldisco2009
Yea, everyone keeps saying the 3DS won't sell as much as the DS, but that means the Vita will do even worse than the PSP My guess is after 4 years, the 3DS will be at 65 million units, and the PSV at 30 million +
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

'Tis a sad day for the nomadic gamer.

Alas, times change. Should handheld gaming die with the 3DS and Vita, I'll finally back out of gaming altogether.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Also, you don't take into account that in the months following the 3DS price drop in America it sold 3 million of that 4 million in 4 months And you compare 7 years of DS data, but you didn't even take the time to do the math that if the 3DS sells 5 million a year in Japan, that it would reach the 30 million unit sales of the DS in Japan in 4 years instead of 7. All you had to do was a little math to see that the 3DS is selling faster than the DS. Furthermore, despite 3DS sales not being consistently near the 500k levels of DS in the past, it sold much faster than the DS ever did in the months following the price drop Between 8/11 thru 12/12 the 3DS sold 3 million units + in USA, while the DS did have some strong 4 month quarters throughout its 7 years in the USA, but the DS usually averaged 2.3 million units over each 4 month period in the USA for its 50 million + over 7 years in the region. (Math is the DS sells 50 million divided by 7 years, that is above 7.1 million per year taking into account good years and bad years in sales, than divide 7.1 million per year by the three 4 month periods in a year, and the DS would come out at 2.3 million per four month period)Eponique

5 million a year takes 6 years to get to 30 million by my calculations. That's also assuming it won't have a massive slow down after it hits 20 million like the DS had, because by then the market would be oversaturated. No way is the 3DS going to sell ~200k a week the DS did.

And no, the 3DS price drop sales are only 200-300k if you ignore any holiday bumps. The DS sold 500k+ OUTSIDE of the holiday season without price drops. Even in the holiday season, it would sell 3 million+, not 1.6 million the 3DS did. 3DS sales are nowhere near DS sales.

As for Japan sales.

Good luck trying to conquer that DS holiday bump. Anyway, this thread is not about Japan. It's about the West, as you can see in the title.

The reason the DS is selling slowly in your math is because you are comparing 3DS holiday season to DS's normal season. The DS sold almost ~5 million each holiday season, as you can see in the above Wiki link I gave. So no, 3DS are nothing like the DS sales. You can't ignore all the 500k+ months the DS had, and then look at the sub-200k the 3DS is pulling in a positive light.

Yea my bad my math was off lol I don't know why you want to say its all bad. 15 million units in one year, no matter how that may stack up against the DS, isn't bad or on its "last legs" at all. This is without Pokemon or Smash Bros too. But let's say the 3DS is replaced after 7 years like the DS, and it sells 15 million units each year like it did this year (which you have to admit, the 3DS sold like crap between April and August last year, so having 8 more months at a lower price point in 2012 than it did in 2011 will only help it) than the 3DS would nail 105 million units in 7 years. I wouldn't call that bad at all. It's really too early to tell if handheld gaming is doing bad, or if handheld gaming other than Nintendo will be doing bad. Oh god, I thought about how terrible it would be to play Revelations on an iPhone just now (after playing the horrendus Degeneration) and I just threw up in my mouth a little
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eponique

Also handheld gaming needs to get on its knees if it wants to survive. Amirite or amirite?

waltefmoney
You are right. [QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Mario Kart 7 will still go pretty good, it was number 4 in December, number 7 last month. You've got RE: R that will move some units in Feb, but expect Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario in April-May, and its shaping up to have Animal Crossing in the summer. Also, you're forgetting Nintendo announced a New Super Mario Bros for the 3DS for this next fiscal year, which anyone who isn't stupid knows that means it will release in Fall 2012. Lol, $1-$10 the average. I could go on for days about how I disagree with that but it would be a never ending conversation. All the $1 gamers on app stores can enjoy the race to the bottom and lack of production values in their games as far as I'm concerned, with rare exceptions of course but that's just my opinion and it means nothing else so don't take it like I think it means much more than that. All I can say is both Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land have sold well over 5-6 million copies worldwide in 60 days or less. (meaning 30% of 3DS base has them)

Mario Kart 7 had a good start (probably 1 million+), but a #7 position in January is not much to brag about. That's probably less than 100k. RE:R is niche - it's not made to sell well. It won't do anything that MK7 or SM3DL did. It had very little marketing and was probably made to appease to the fans rather than sell systems. 2D Mario is still some time away. There's nothing that's going to sell the 3DS in the next couple of months other than the two games. $10 is the most I'd pay for Brain Training in 2012. Also, there are games that are higher than $10. Tactics Ogre was $16 for example. I hope you're not denying that Brain Training is comparable to the $1~$10 apps.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

Mario Kart 7 will still go pretty good, it was number 4 in December, number 7 last month. You've got RE: R that will move some units in Feb, but expect Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario in April-May, and its shaping up to have Animal Crossing in the summer. Also, you're forgetting Nintendo announced a New Super Mario Bros for the 3DS for this next fiscal year, which anyone who isn't stupid knows that means it will release in Fall 2012. Lol, $1-$10 the average. I could go on for days about how I disagree with that but it would be a never ending conversation. All the $1 gamers on app stores can enjoy the race to the bottom and lack of production values in their games as far as I'm concerned, with rare exceptions of course but that's just my opinion and it means nothing else so don't take it like I think it means much more than that. All I can say is both Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land have sold well over 5-6 million copies worldwide in 60 days or less. (meaning 30% of 3DS base has them)bonesawisready5

My own opinion is that you are missing the big picture.

The number of companies making smartphones, the amount of money being plowed into them, and the number that are being sold are all massive orders of magnitude above the two dedicated handheld makers.

Smartphones have only existed for a few years. Tablets even less. Thepace of development of technology in this space means that a fixed hardware platform for a dedicated handheld will get eclipsed rapidly in the near future, probably more rapidly than PCs outpace consoles. It doesn't matter how powerful Vita is today when in two years it will be easily surpassed. And it will be surpassed by things selling hundreds of millions of units per year, not ten million.

It isn't hard to see that developers are going to proliferate on new platforms. It isn't hard to see that hardware accessories are going to be added to multipurpose smartphones and tablets to allow plug in controllers with buttons and all. And when that happens you will be able to make any kind of game playable on a multipurpose portable device.

It isn't that handhelds and the ability to play more complicated games with more complicated control schemes is going to disappear. What will happen is that these things are going to merge/morph. Indeed, it is highly likely that the portable device will merge/dock with base station and you will be able to seamlessly move from your livingroom to mobile.

The problem is going to be for the closed system dedicated handheld (and then console) manufacturers. It doesn't mean that the style of gaming associated with dedicated handhelds will disappear, just that the business model for the hardware is going to be shaken up.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Eponique

And which platform are Professor Layton games, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney coming out on? Also, what do you do if (and it could go to iOS too) Ace Attorney 5 is announced not for iOS but for DS or 3DS? Not all Ace Attorney games are on iOS btw. Why doesn't everyone realize that just like flash gaming killing console/pc gaming, handheld gaming killing console gaming, console gaming killing pc gaming, pc gaming killing console gaming, all these scenarios where people thought one type of gaming was going to kill off another it turned out each got stronger on their own and all of them co-exist.bonesawisready5
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is a fighter. You also can't prove that it won't be ported later. Ace Attorney is just as likely to get announced as an iOS exclusive as it 3DS exclusive. Heck, it might even be multiplatform with Vita now that has touchscreen controls. Poor example to show off a 3DS exclusive.

Types of gaming have died before. What happened to Arcade gaming btw? Remember when console gaming crashed and disappeared for almost a decade? It's not impossible. Mobile gaming and handheld gaming are also pretty much the same thing. We only differentiate it because of the way games are played (touchscreen, short 5 minute bursts vs. buttons, more suited for 15~30 minute bursts). Ultimately, they serve the same function.

--I'll be back in an hour. I have to do some other stuff.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]I'm sure the 3DS will pick up more steam, especially with Nintendo's new 3DS tv commercials that will be airing, and Nintendo isn't one to not promote their products. The only thing the 3DS really needs though, is some Touch Generation titles that sold the DS to the masses. It doesn't need to be a new Brain Age or thing of that sort, but Nintendo's 3DS right now seems to be a little too "hardcore" with only Mario Kart and SM3DL really being the kind of games for "anyone." Eponique

There may not be one yet, doesn't mean there isn't one probably in the works or anything. I would wager we'll probably hear something soon, if not by E3. Nintendo knows they need that market still, plus it could be sold over eShop and be one way for Nintendo to gain new audiences on their shop, or it could be discounted. Wasn't Brain Age like $20 instead of the $30?
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Eponique
You are right. [QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Mario Kart 7 will still go pretty good, it was number 4 in December, number 7 last month. You've got RE: R that will move some units in Feb, but expect Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario in April-May, and its shaping up to have Animal Crossing in the summer. Also, you're forgetting Nintendo announced a New Super Mario Bros for the 3DS for this next fiscal year, which anyone who isn't stupid knows that means it will release in Fall 2012. Lol, $1-$10 the average. I could go on for days about how I disagree with that but it would be a never ending conversation. All the $1 gamers on app stores can enjoy the race to the bottom and lack of production values in their games as far as I'm concerned, with rare exceptions of course but that's just my opinion and it means nothing else so don't take it like I think it means much more than that. All I can say is both Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land have sold well over 5-6 million copies worldwide in 60 days or less. (meaning 30% of 3DS base has them)

Mario Kart 7 had a good start (probably 1 million+), but a #7 position in January is not much to brag about. That's probably less than 100k. RE:R is niche - it's not made to sell well. It won't do anything that MK7 or SM3DL did. It had very little marketing and was probably made to appease to the fans rather than sell systems. 2D Mario is still some time away. There's nothing that's going to sell the 3DS in the next couple of months other than the two games. $10 is the most I'd pay for Brain Training in 2012. Also, there are games that are higher than $10. Tactics Ogre was $16 for example. I hope you're not denying that Brain Training is comparable to the $1~$10 apps.

Well, Brain Training isn't on the 3DS, so comparing it is useless. You have no idea that Nintendo can't introduce a new Brain Training that stands above the rest for $20. And also, you've got to remember that smartphone gaming will never work for families who have kids who want to play more than one or two games a year. Why? Because those smartphones require the parent's credit card to be at the disposal of the child on their smart device. Parents run the risk of having every little Jimmy (Wrestling reference there for all you wrestling fans) accidentally buying all those apps. With a 3DS/Vita, you can control that much better, even if it is more expensive. I think Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, like Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros will sell the 3DS in the coming months while Nintendo releases Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario even if those aren't as huge sellers like the first two games. I still don't know why you think 15 million units in 11 months is bad. Once again, it isn't setting the world on fire per say, but it is not a market anyone should ignore considering it will be a 60-100 million user base after some years.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
I think... we all just got trolled.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] And which platform are Professor Layton games, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney coming out on? Also, what do you do if (and it could go to iOS too) Ace Attorney 5 is announced not for iOS but for DS or 3DS? Not all Ace Attorney games are on iOS btw. Why doesn't everyone realize that just like flash gaming killing console/pc gaming, handheld gaming killing console gaming, console gaming killing pc gaming, pc gaming killing console gaming, all these scenarios where people thought one type of gaming was going to kill off another it turned out each got stronger on their own and all of them co-exist.Eponique

Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is a fighter. You also can't prove that it won't be ported later. Ace Attorney is just as likely to get announced as an iOS exclusive as it 3DS exclusive. Heck, it might even be multiplatform with Vita now that has touchscreen controls. Poor example to show off a 3DS exclusive.

Types of gaming have died before. What happened to Arcade gaming btw? Remember when console gaming crashed and disappeared for almost a decade? It's not impossible. Mobile gaming and handheld gaming are also pretty much the same thing. We only differentiate it because of the way games are played (touchscreen, short 5 minute bursts vs. buttons, more suited for 15~30 minute bursts). Ultimately, they serve the same function.

--I'll be back in an hour. I have to do some other stuff.

Layton vs Ace Attorney is a fighter? Wow.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

waltefmoney

oh the irony.....

but yea handheld isnt what it used to be 2 decades ago

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Whatever you want to believe it or not, I agree with posters like SUD & Eponique here. Dedicated gaming handhelds are dying, & are starting to be on their way out.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

almasdeathchild

oh the irony.....

What irony?

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

oh the irony.....

What irony?

your avy..ive seen it somewhere.....

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 waltefmoney

almasdeathchild

We've all seen it somewhere.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

waltefmoney

We've all seen it somewhere.

indeed.....

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

I don't dispute that "handhelds" (which I consider primarily as 3DS, Vita, DS, PSP, etc.) are definitely not trending well, but mobile gaming is as big now as ever. Simply, there is a new format in which to enjoy them (smartphones/tablets) and people expect their game devices to do more than just play games.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I agree as far as western developers not supporting handhelds much. It's frustrating seeing a game in Japan and wondering if they'll have an English release.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Mario Kart 7 will still go pretty good, it was number 4 in December, number 7 last month. You've got RE: R that will move some units in Feb, but expect Luigi's Mansion 2 or Paper Mario in April-May, and its shaping up to have Animal Crossing in the summer. Also, you're forgetting Nintendo announced a New Super Mario Bros for the 3DS for this next fiscal year, which anyone who isn't stupid knows that means it will release in Fall 2012. Lol, $1-$10 the average. I could go on for days about how I disagree with that but it would be a never ending conversation. All the $1 gamers on app stores can enjoy the race to the bottom and lack of production values in their games as far as I'm concerned, with rare exceptions of course but that's just my opinion and it means nothing else so don't take it like I think it means much more than that. All I can say is both Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land have sold well over 5-6 million copies worldwide in 60 days or less. (meaning 30% of 3DS base has them)SUD123456

My own opinion is that you are missing the big picture.

The number of companies making smartphones, the amount of money being plowed into them, and the number that are being sold are all massive orders of magnitude above the two dedicated handheld makers.

Smartphones have only existed for a few years. Tablets even less. Thepace of development of technology in this space means that a fixed hardware platform for a dedicated handheld will get eclipsed rapidly in the near future, probably more rapidly than PCs outpace consoles. It doesn't matter how powerful Vita is today when in two years it will be easily surpassed. And it will be surpassed by things selling hundreds of millions of units per year, not ten million.

It isn't hard to see that developers are going to proliferate on new platforms. It isn't hard to see that hardware accessories are going to be added to multipurpose smartphones and tablets to allow plug in controllers with buttons and all. And when that happens you will be able to make any kind of game playable on a multipurpose portable device.

It isn't that handhelds and the ability to play more complicated games with more complicated control schemes is going to disappear. What will happen is that these things are going to merge/morph. Indeed, it is highly likely that the portable device will merge/dock with base station and you will be able to seamlessly move from your livingroom to mobile.

The problem is going to be for the closed system dedicated handheld (and then console) manufacturers. It doesn't mean that the style of gaming associated with dedicated handhelds will disappear, just that the business model for the hardware is going to be shaken up.

I really think all of these are going to co-exist peacefully just like flash games, consoles, handhelds, PCs have for nearly two decades despite claims from various people that one will destroy the others. I'm sure the traditional handheld gaming market will take a hit from smartphones, but I think selling 15 million units a year is pretty good for any handheld maker You've also got to realize that using accessories like controller extensions for Android and iOS will fragment the user bases of those platforms ( I mean millions of people should buy simply accessories like blu tooth headsets so they don't pay attention to their phone while driving but do they?) , not to mention the fact that most Android phones bought are budget versions that won't run the top of line Android games, and you're guaranteed by Apple that if your iPhone is 2 years old that you will start missing out on apps, features and games and a lot of your games will start to run poorly on hardware that is 2 years old. If I'm going to be gaming on the go, I'd rather have a platform that will play all games for that platform for 5 years than have to upgrade my contract on an expensive bill for something that will begin to be out dated within months. Infact, doesn't this situation bare a lot of similarities to PC/Console gaming? One is the simpler platform to game on, the other has more deep customization, each with pro's and con's co-existing with one another? You don't have this problem with traditional handhelds that can last 4-7 years, just a pro in my book nothing else.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Honestly handheld games are dying...

While there are many that are ignorant and will dismiss ios/android type games many of them are fun and only cost 99 cents and reguarly apps go on sale or are free.

I like my 3ds but man 40-50 dollar games on a handheld are a joke.

Not to mention the games on the 3ds virtual store are over priced.... Zenonia 1 ONE ONE for 7 dollars.... zenonia 1-4 cost 3 dollars on the ios/android..

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Yup. Smartphones are to blame.