Halo 3 WILL NOT be just a run-and-gun shooter

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Liquid_47
Member since 2003 • 4905 Posts
Many hermits (and other Halo-haters) have stated that FPS GOTY 2007 will go to Crysis indefinitely, because it's more of a tactical shooter than a run-and-gun shooter, which Halo 3 will be. Once again, they have failed miserably. I have a nice little quote here from the recent Bungie Weekly Update:

In that same location, there was a Covenant grav-sniper platform, which I instinctively chucked all my grenades at to clear it of Jackal snipers (it was below my clifftop perch at the time) – so imagine my surprise when it exploded, and broke into sparking debris, which rained down on the ground below at speeds dictated by the still functioning grav lift beneath it. The temptation is to blow the things up immediately now, but you never know when you’re going to need to use those platforms yourself. I found this out to my cost when another, better hidden jackal sniper took me out, and I had already assploded my best tactical platform. Doh.

Hermits have given me similar examples from Crysis (although they were hypothetical to my knowledge). So now that Halo 3 isn't a full blooded run-and-gun, instead a FPS where you also have to think before you shoot, what do you Halo-haters have to say?
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
oh for the love of God...
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 bloodychimp
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
Halo is probably the best FPS on consoles. It has cool weapons, fun vehicles, fun gameplay, and is a blast to play with your friends. That being said, their are much better shooters on the PC (though Halo PC is still an excellent game. I think of it is Tribes without jetpacks).
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Liquid_47
oh for the love of God...killtactics
Truth hurts, don't it mate? If it makes you sleep better at night, I'm getting a beast of a PC instead of a 360 anyway.
Halo is probably the best FPS on consoles. That being said, their are much better shooters on the PC (though Halo PC is still an excellent game. I think of it is Tribes without jetpacks).bloodychimp
Such as? The Half Life series?
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
This post hints at a certain capacity for environmental destruction. I wonder how much.
-Xplode-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Xplode-
Member since 2006 • 576 Posts
halo is just a race to get the sword or sniper.
kuza_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kuza_9999
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"]Many hermits (and other Halo-haters) have stated that FPS GOTY 2007 will go to Crysis indefinitely, because it's more of a tactical shooter than a run-and-gun shooter, which Halo 3 will be. Once again, they have failed miserably. I have a nice little quote here from the recent Bungie Weekly Update:

In that same location, there was a Covenant grav-sniper platform, which I instinctively chucked all my grenades at to clear it of Jackal snipers (it was below my clifftop perch at the time) – so imagine my surprise when it exploded, and broke into sparking debris, which rained down on the ground below at speeds dictated by the still functioning grav lift beneath it. The temptation is to blow the things up immediately now, but you never know when you’re going to need to use those platforms yourself. I found this out to my cost when another, better hidden jackal sniper took me out, and I had already assploded my best tactical platform. Doh.

Hermits have given me similar examples from Crysis (although they were hypothetical to my knowledge). So now that Halo 3 isn't a full blooded run-and-gun, instead a FPS where you also have to think before you shoot, what do you Halo-haters have to say?

why would hermits hate Halo, they know Halo 3 will come to their "system" eventully
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Liquid_47
halo is just a race to get the sword or sniper.-Xplode-
Lucky they've already taken that into account, huh?
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bloodychimp
[QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...Liquid_47
Truth hurts, don't it mate? If it makes you sleep better at night, I'm getting a beast of a PC instead of a 360 anyway.
Halo is probably the best FPS on consoles. That being said, their are much better shooters on the PC (though Halo PC is still an excellent game. I think of it is Tribes without jetpacks).bloodychimp

Actually, I hate Half Life. I buy the games for the mods (CS is fun and TFC is god incarnate). The single player with all those blasted physics puzzles just doesn't do it for me. IMO the best shooters on the PC are:
Team Fortress forbidden>
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Liquid_47
[QUOTE="kuza_9999"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"]Many hermits (and other Halo-haters) have stated that FPS GOTY 2007 will go to Crysis indefinitely, because it's more of a tactical shooter than a run-and-gun shooter, which Halo 3 will be. Once again, they have failed miserably. I have a nice little quote here from the recent Bungie Weekly Update:

why would hermits hate Halo, they know Halo 3 will come to their "system" eventully

Because they hate Halo being compared to PC games. They usually just say "Oh, PC shooters are > Halo" to brush it off and pretend its nothing. And Halo 3 will come in about 3 years, which is competitively pointless.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts
how does that make Halo tactical? Please explain how, Liquid. Crytek is offering: "A unique three-act structure that forces the player to use real-time armor and weapons customization to adapt to an ever changing dynamic world." "Enemy and ally AI utilize real-world military tactics." "Explore a living, dynamic world where earthquakes, breaking ice, landslides, and tornados which pose a real and an ever-present danger." Crytek has been showing this -- while Bungie is just hyping stuff that doesn't even sound as good as this. The fact that Crysis already does this and much more only proves the point that Crysis will be shooter GOTY.
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bloodychimp

Halo 2 is like that. Which is the main reason I dont like Halo 2. Halo CE didnt really have this flaw, as there was no sword and you could be competitive with the pistol.
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Liquid_47
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...bloodychimp

Actually, I hate Half Life. I buy the games for the mods (CS is fun and TFC is god incarnate). The single player with all those blasted physics puzzles just doesn't do it for me. IMO the best shooters on the PC are:
Team Fortress forbidden>

Team Fortress Forbidden? Never heard of it. I like Team Fortress though. Brilliant game. Just brilliant.
Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts
What's wrong with "Run-and-Gun" games?
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bloodychimp
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...bloodychimp

Team Fortress forbidden>

for some reason it cut off the rest of my post
it follows
TFC
Tribes (all 3)
Unreal Tournament (and 2004)
CS
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bloodychimp
[QUOTE="bloodychimp"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...Liquid_47

Team Fortress forbidden>

Team Fortress Forbidden? Never heard of it. I like Team Fortress though. Brilliant game. Just brilliant.

yeah sorry killed my post for some reason
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Liquid_47
[QUOTE="baddog121390"]how does that make Halo tactical? Please explain how, Liquid. Crytek is offering:

"A unique three-act structure that forces the player to use real-time armor and weapons customization to adapt to an ever changing dynamic world."

"Enemy and ally AI utilize real-world military tactics."

"Explore a living, dynamic world where earthquakes, breaking ice, landslides, and tornados which pose a real and an ever-present danger."

Crytek has been showing this -- while Bungie is just hyping stuff that doesn't even sound as good as this. The fact that Crysis already does this and much more only proves the point that Crysis will be shooter GOTY.

Crysis has been showing AI with real world military tactics? I'm sorry, point me to that video please? I haven't seen much of the AI in Crysis, and I know many people feel that way too (which is why Bioshock steals some of Crysis's thunder). I'm talking about the tactical stuff. I didn't want to say it baddog, but it was you that said Halo 3 would be nothing but a run and gun shooter, with no tactical thinking whatsoever. This isn't an attack on Crysis, this is a defense on Halo.
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Liquid_47
What's wrong with "Run-and-Gun" games? Kev_Unreal
Run and Gun games are like Serious Sam - great once but after that, it gets dull.
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Liquid_47
[QUOTE="bloodychimp"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...bloodychimp

Team Fortress forbidden>

it follows
TFC
Tribes (all 3)
CS

Great list. I enjoy them too (but Tribes to a lesser extent). CS 1.6 though, not Source right?
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
[QUOTE="-Xplode-"]halo is just a race to get the sword or sniper.bloodychimp

Halo 2 is like that. Which is the main reason I dont like Halo 2. Halo CE didnt really have this flaw, as there was no sword and you could be competitive with the pistol.

Well in Halo the pistol is basicly the strongest weapon 2-3 good shots in the head and thats it.
ginazswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ginazswordsman
Member since 2005 • 166 Posts
Halo Single player was never just run and gun. The gameplay was always diverse.

Why is anyone under the impression that Halo 3 would be a run and gun shooter? Halo 1 and 2 were not so I don't get where this idea is coming from.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 baddog121390
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]how does that make Halo tactical? Please explain how, Liquid. Crytek is offering:

"A unique three-act structure that forces the player to use real-time armor and weapons customization to adapt to an ever changing dynamic world."

"Explore a living, dynamic world where earthquakes, breaking ice, landslides, and tornados which pose a real and an ever-present danger."

Crytek has been showing this -- while Bungie is just hyping stuff that doesn't even sound as good as this. The fact that Crysis already does this and much more only proves the point that Crysis will be shooter GOTY.

Crysis has been showing AI with real world military tactics? I'm sorry, point me to that video please? I haven't seen much of the AI in Crysis, and I know many people feel that way too (which is why Bioshock steals some of Crysis's thunder). I'm talking about the tactical stuff. I didn't want to say it baddog, but it was you that said Halo 3 would be nothing but a run and gun shooter, with no tactical thinking whatsoever. This isn't an attack on Crysis, this is a defense on Halo.

None whatsoever? No. I said it would be based on run-n-gun. And it still is.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
What's so bad about bieng a run and gun game? Halo 1 was a run and gun and i liked more than tactical FPS's like farcry.
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Liquid_47
[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]how does that make Halo tactical? Please explain how, Liquid. Crytek is offering:

None whatsoever? No. I said it would be based on run-n-gun. And it still is.

Good. Which is why it is still in the runnings for FPS GOTY 2007.
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bloodychimp
[QUOTE="bloodychimp"][QUOTE="bloodychimp"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...Liquid_47

Team Fortress forbidden>

it follows
TFC
Tribes (all 3)
CS

Great list. I enjoy them too (but Tribes to a lesser extent). CS 1.6 though, not Source right?

I play whatever my friends do. I play Source at college, cuz my friends there play it, but I play 1.6 when I'm at home. The game is at its best when you are in close proximety with the people you are playing against (lan party forbidden>
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bloodychimp
crap killed my post again. I like 1.6 better between the two, but I enjoy them both. And Tribes was amazing if you hade a tribe with your rl friends.
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
Okay, Halo 3 will not be just a run and gun, it will be a great game, but Crysis IMO, is going to be better than halo 3 even if it doesnt take GOTY 2007, it will probably be stolen by bioshock if not crysis or halo 3
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
The fact that Crysis already does this and much more only proves the point that Crysis will be shooter GOTY. baddog121390
Just like Company of Heroes was gonna be GOTY last year, right ?
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts
Very few games are "just" run-and-gun outside titles like Serious Sam and Painkiller.
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Liquid_47
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="bloodychimp"][QUOTE="bloodychimp"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"][QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...bloodychimp

Team Fortress forbidden>

it follows
TFC
Tribes (all 3)
CS

I play whatever my friends do. I play Source at college, cuz my friends there play it, but I play 1.6 when I'm at home. The game is at its best when you are in close proximety with the people you are playing against (lan party forbidden>

crap killed my post again. I like 1.6 better between the two, but I enjoy them both. And Tribes was amazing if you hade a tribe with your rl friends.bloodychimp
Ah okay. What other PC FPS you looking forward to?
Okay, Halo 3 will not be just a run and gun, it will be a great game, but Crysis IMO, is going to be better than halo 3 even if it doesnt take GOTY 2007, it will probably be stolen by bioshock if not crysis or halo 3StephenHu
WTF?
[QUOTE="baddog121390"]The fact that Crysis already does this and much more only proves the point that Crysis will be shooter GOTY. Felous1
Just like Company of Heroes was gonna be GOTY last year, right ?

Is that what baddog predicted? It was a great game actually.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Felous1
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"] Is that what baddog predicted?

Of course he did.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Velocitas8
[QUOTE="Liquid_47"]Is that what baddog predicted? It was a great game actually.

I wouldn't be surprised. Company of Heroes deserved GOTY in my opinion, but I knew Gears was going to win it.
spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spikegriffin
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

Many hermits (and other Halo-haters) have stated that FPS GOTY 2007 will go to Crysis indefinitely, because it's more of a tactical shooter than a run-and-gun shooter, which Halo 3 will be. Once again, they have failed miserably. I have a nice little quote here from the recent Bungie Weekly Update:

In that same location, there was a Covenant grav-sniper platform, which I instinctively chucked all my grenades at to clear it of Jackal snipers (it was below my clifftop perch at the time) – so imagine my surprise when it exploded, and broke into sparking debris, which rained down on the ground below at speeds dictated by the still functioning grav lift beneath it. The temptation is to blow the things up immediately now, but you never know when you’re going to need to use those platforms yourself. I found this out to my cost when another, better hidden jackal sniper took me out, and I had already assploded my best tactical platform. Doh.Liquid_47

That quote dosn't imply tatics at all.  Like the change from invincible vechicals to destructable ones from Halo 1 to 2 its just a new layer they added.  Yes, the player screwed himself over, but the fact that he destroyed a set piece that was intended to be HIS platform only shows how limited his options are.  Of coarse, if this Halo is anything like the other two (and there's no reason to not think so) then with sufficient aim, the Jackels wouldn't be an issue, or simply a few dodges and he  blows them away.

Its now somewhat cliche, but I point to the tank video of Crysis.  In  just about any shooter we have now, running into a building and away from windows/doors (Halo included) shields you from heavy artillary or fire.  The fact that the building can be run down or torn apart from massed fire in Crysis makes that mainstay of FPS somewhat moot.

I think Halo 3 stands a good chance of being improved, I think Bungie is good enough to fix 'mistakes' made from Halo 2, but it simply won't hit the same level as Crysis unless it is udderly like the rest of the series.

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Felous1
I wouldn't be surprised. Company of Heroes deserved GOTY in my opinion, but I knew Gears was going to win it.Velocitas8
I don't even think it even won GOTY anywhere else. But it most likely won RTS GOTY in most places.
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bloodychimp
[QUOTE="bloodychimp"]
I play whatever my friends do. I play Source at college, cuz my friends there play it, but I play 1.6 when I'm at home. The game is at its best when you are in close proximety with the people you are playing against (lan party forbidden>Liquid_47
crap killed my post again. I like 1.6 better between the two, but I enjoy them both. And Tribes was amazing if you hade a tribe with your rl friends.bloodychimp
Ah okay. What other PC FPS you looking forward to?

Right now, TF2 and UT3. There are also a couple of mod teams working on promising looking Tribes clones and I'm kind of retroactively looking forward to Rainbow 6: Vegas, since I'm kind of to broke to buy it right now. Crysis could also be good, depending on what they do with the multiplayer (I saw somewhere that it was going to be forbidden>
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bloodychimp
bah crap. I'm not sure if the site was legit but I saw somewhere that Crysis was going to have class based multiplayer.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Velocitas8
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]I wouldn't be surprised. Company of Heroes deserved GOTY in my opinion, but I knew Gears was going to win it.Felous1
I don't even think it even won GOTY anywhere else. But it most likely won RTS GOTY in most places.

And you'd be wrong. According to Relic's site, it got 6 Game of The Year awards in total, and 11 Strategy Game of The Year awards.

It got the #2 spot over at GameSpy, with Twilight Princess taking #1 and Gears taking #4. It was a front runner for Game of The Year at pretty much every major gaming website.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 baddog121390
[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="Liquid_47"] Is that what baddog predicted?

Of course he did.

I did, so what? It still beat Oblivion. Hype and the overwhelming UE3 got GeoW GOTY.

GeoW will die off as Company of Heroes will stay fresh like every great PC game. GeoW is short, and the multiplayer gets way too repetitive.
spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 spikegriffin
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

bah crap. I'm not sure if the site was legit but I saw somewhere that Crysis was going to have class based multiplayer.bloodychimp

Havn't seen that anywhere myself.

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Felous1
Hype and the overwhelming UE3 got GeoW GOTY.

GeoW will die off as Company of Heroes will stay fresh like every great PC game.baddog121390

Yeah of course... it only won GOTY because of the hype !

By the way, Gears will die off when Epic is still (and will continue to do so) making new content for it ? :lol:

bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bloodychimp

[QUOTE="bloodychimp"]bah crap. I'm not sure if the site was legit but I saw somewhere that Crysis was going to have class based multiplayer.spikegriffin

Havn't seen that anywhere myself.

May have been a bogus site then, but I can always dream.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 baddog121390
[QUOTE="baddog121390"]Hype and the overwhelming UE3 got GeoW GOTY.

GeoW will die off as Company of Heroes will stay fresh like every great PC game.Felous1

By the way, Gears will die off when Epic is still (and will continue to do so) making new content for it ? :lol:

Yes (that or the reviewer is an idiot -- oh wait *sees TPS3 at 10.0*) and yes.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
Halo Single player was never just run and gun. The gameplay was always diverse.

Why is anyone under the impression that Halo 3 would be a run and gun shooter? Halo 1 and 2 were not so I don't get where this idea is coming from.
ginazswordsman

I agree you can get by w/ run n' gun at the newb levels (and sometimes in FFA), but if you're playing on legendary, or against a decent team you better get some cover and a plan.

As for sword It's pretty useless unless you're in FFA w/ a bunch of newbs, or camp for cheap kills.  I'd much rather have the shotgun (especially on lan).

The weapons I don't like are the BR for H2, and the Pistol from H1 because they are too powerful for general purpose weapons which in skilled hands work in every situation.

My only hope for Halo 3 is a decent needler, but I doubt that'll happen.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Felous1
baddog121390
One reviewer alone doesn't decide GOTY. Your excuses are getting weaker and weaker.
Goku004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Goku004
Member since 2006 • 754 Posts
OMG, so true dude. There's no strategic in it at all.
okthenbye1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 okthenbye1
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
Yes it will be run and gun with bits of strategy slapped on. Metroid Prime 3 > this garbage.
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]Hype and the overwhelming UE3 got GeoW GOTY.

GeoW will die off as Company of Heroes will stay fresh like every great PC game.baddog121390

I've been playing Gears online since December and it still hasn't gotten old for me.

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
Sorry OP, but Halo will be another RUN AND GUN game. i mean why stop now with halo 3, if halo 1 and 2 was a run in gun type of game.
muscrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 muscrat_01
Member since 2005 • 3592 Posts
Halo 3 will follow the same sucessful formula of Halo CE and 2 - which were identical gameplay wise.
Run and Gun A to B.

Thats Halo. Like it or not Halo isnt a tactical shooter.

Crysis will be morso - and if you watched the gameplay videos you would agree.
The modifiable - on the fly - nano suit, lon linear levels, A.i - and things like Enviromental effects (destroying enimies cover - whole buildings),  proper vehivle damage (target choppers rotors, cars wheels), modifiable weapons ect. make it a much more tactical game - it dosent restrict you, and allows you to experiment.

Now the same formula for Halo has been sucessful twice - and that dosent mean Halo 3 will be a bad game because its run and gun, but its not as tactical as Crysis.

This dosent jepordise its chances of scoring better though so dont get your knickers in a twist TC.
jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="killtactics"]oh for the love of God...Liquid_47

System shock....