GT5: only some cars have damage and "soul" equals "realism"?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2313.html

While I sit here enjoying and strolling through Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Spanish game site MeriStation has recently conducted an interview with Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi. Kaz reiterates certain things he's mentioned before and states some new tidbits. First, Kaz makes it a point to mention that Prologue is not an indication of the final product and that it's simply to test the reaction of the hardcore Gran Turismo fans, and to perfect the online network.

He also states that, contrary to initial belief that the cars use some of Gran Turismo 4's architecture, they don't. The cars in Gran Turismo 5 are completely modeled from scratch - nothing has been recycled. Furthermore, they've modeled car interiors with faithful precision, including the texture of the steering wheel, to lining on the upholstery - and after playing GT5: Prologue, we can attest to this. As mentioned before, it'll take one man alone six months to model a car, and one man alone one year to model a track. Thankfully, there are 30 people working simultaneously on track detail, in addition to 90 others doing various other programming and modeling tasks.

When asked if and why GT5 is the best driving sim, Kaz states it's because the game has soul, which translates to realism. Everything about GT5 is realistically detailed, the sound, the environments, and especially the cars. With that realism in mind, he's stated that Sony has been great at providing the team total freedom, and that they only limitation is a targeted launch date. Ultimately, Kaz states that because he is a perfectionist, Kaz will delay the game if he has to. At the moment, Sony and Polyphony are pinning the game for a Christmas 2008 release.

Now, what about damage? Well, good news, there are a variety of damage models being tested internally at Polyphony Digital. The challenge is choosing one that isn't hyper-realistic to the point where a single, tiny error destroys your car and throws you out of a race when you've completed 90% of it. Additionally, because Gran Turismo 5 is dealing with hundreds of cars, covering virtually every manufacturer, some car brands still don't want to see their cars getting damaged, while others don't mind. And so the issue is out of Polyphony's hands, forcing them to prevent certain cars from being damaged. So while most should be damageable, there will be some that won't be.

Moreover, Gran Turismo Portable is still in the works, and it will arrive no longer as a game based on Gran Turismo 4, but a game to compliment Gran Turismo 5. Kaz states he will release the PSP's GT shortly after the release of GT5, so early 2009 looks like the time frame -- a one year wait, not bad. Oh, and get this, after they've released GT5, they're still going to spend another year on tweaking online to make sure it's as stable as possible for the users. You'd expect the guys to take a vacation, right? Well, in the 15 years of development behind the Gran Turismo series, there has never been one. But don't feel too bad, Kaz and the team are well rewarded...Kaz has two Ford GTs, a Porsche 911 GT3, a Nismo 350Z Spec-R (modded), Spoon S2000 (modded), and a host of others. The entire Polyphony parking lot is well decorate with beautiful vehicles.

Look for our hands-on coverage of Gran Turismo 5: Prologue to pop up soon

....looks like Forza 2 is already ahead of GT5 and GT5 is still a year away...

not looking good....

so much for the "gt5 will have realistic damage" theory...

FORZA 2 FTW... :D

Cubs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Cubs360
Member since 2006 • 3771 Posts
Thats just weird, Either do all cars with damage or none at all. Half Ass!
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tango90101

Thats just weird, Either do all cars with damage or none at all. Half Ass!Cubs360

agreed.

to win a race one only has to use a car w/o damage...more bumpercar racing...bleh...

this isn't going to end well...

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

If you read the whole thing you will understand that GT 5 will have A LOT of cars (the most a racing game has had actually (for consoles if not anywhere). It would take too long to do every car. Not to mention the detail and amount of car on screen and the smooth framerate. Don't forget about hte other features.

This is more than enough.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Bumper cars FTL.

Enjoy your Arcade racer cows because it sure is not as sim racer when there are games like Forza 2 out.

How lame though. So in a race there could be cars that do have damage and some that could bumper car their way to the finish line.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tango90101

If you read the whole thing you will understand that GT 5 will have A LOT of cars (the most a racing game has had actually (for consoles if not anywhere). It would take too long to do every car. Not to mention the detail and amount of car on screen and the smooth framerate. Don't forget about hte other features.

Cedmln

Yes...GT games have always had a lot of cars.. most of which are slight modifications on the same model.. like the 30+ Nissan Skylines normally found in GT games... which is really pointless if you have paint, customizing, and upgrade features like Forza...

quantity does NOT trump quality.. never has...

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eltroz
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

tango90101

Yes...GT games have always had a lot of cars.. most of which are slight modifications on the same model.. like the 30+ Nissan Skylines normally found in GT games... which is really pointless if you have paint, customizing, and upgrade features like Forza...

I agree. Instead of having 30 of the same car to pad the numbers for GT,Forza gives the ability to have thousands of versions of the same car with paint jobs and different choices in parts,engines,wheels, and so on.
mindz2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindz2004
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

ok... how is that gonna work online then?

somebody has acar that cant be damaged and the rest have cars that can be.

Forza has full damage on all cars how can they pull that off if some of the manufacturers dont like it?

mehhhh

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tango90101

somebody has a guy that cant be damaged and the rest have cars that can be.

mindz2004

chances are the guy w/o damage will win...

online racingis going to be a mess... lots of bent feelings...

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Eltroz

I agree. Instead of having 30 of the same car to pad the numbers for GT,Forza gives the ability to have thousands of versions of the same car with paint jobs and different choices in parts,engines,wheels, and so on.

Riiiiight. Thats why GT is just so successful and popular, because of those 30 slightly different Skylines... :roll:

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tango90101
[QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Cedmln

Riiiiight. Thats why GT is just so successful and popular, because of those 30 slightly different Skylines... :roll:

it was so successful and popular:

1. because it was the only driving sim on console for YEARS.

2. it was on a console that had "100 million users"...

is popularity now a sign of quality? if so, Halo 3 is one of the best games on the planet... :D

..gotta get to work..i'll check in later....

FORZA FTW!!!

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eltroz
[QUOTE="mindz2004"]

somebody has a guy that cant be damaged and the rest have cars that can be.

tango90101

chances are the guy w/o damage will win...

online racingis going to be a mess... lots of bent feelings...

Not even a matter of chance they will. It will take 2 weeks most and a car that can not have any damage will never loose the race. Online will only be cars that do not receive damage. Why play a car that has a chance of breaking down when a player could just pick a car that will bumper car his way safely to the finish line.
RevenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RevenMan
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

Thats kind of dumb and would make the game feel less realistic than no damage at all. Either make all cars have damage or take out damage from all the cars.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

as lomg as they do something about that horrible squeeking braking tire sound that you hear the ENTIRE TIME, i'll be fine.

that's the most unrealistic un-immersive sound ever in a car sim

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

What a joke. If I cared at all about racing games, I'd be pretty PO'ed.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

The game does have soul and personality.

I cant disagree with that.

BiOZiGzAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 BiOZiGzAg
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

Thats completely stupid

Poly. Pays alot to get the cars into the game, they should have full right to damage their cars, it is therefore a car..

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tango90101

Thats completely stupid

Poly. Pays alot to get the cars into the game, they should have full right to damage their cars, it is therefore a car..

BiOZiGzAg

i think kaz isn't being truthful...

if a porsche can be damaged in Forza and not in GT games, there's the proof...

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eltroz
What it boils down to is Poly cares more about graphics then being a true race sim. Has any GT had damage before even though most games with cars have it? I mean heck Crackdown and Saints Row for example have damage to their cars and they are FAR from a racing sim. Poly could do it but it would take away from the graphics because a developer would also have to put in more modeling and such. Lets face it GT in todays racing is nothing more then a arcade racer and not a SIMulation racer.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
That's understandable. And I can't wait for this game to come out :D.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

First, Kaz makes it a point to mention that Prologue is not an indication of the final product and that it's simply to test the reaction of the hardcore Gran Turismo fans, and to perfect the online network.

tango90101

What a bunch of crock. The only reason Prologue exists is to make some quick cash. Or are you telling me GTC, GT4:P etc. were also supposed to "test the reaction of the hardcore GT fans"? And you'd think after four games he'd know what the fans want, but considering the first four games are basically alike I doubt he gives a crap. He wants to perfect his vision, not the fans'. Otherwise damage would've been in GT3 already, multiplayer in GT4 and there wouldn't be an abundance of ****ty Japanese cars.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TREAL_Since

skrat_01

Oh hell yeah. And some of the best presentation and music in any series.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

Cedmln

you shouldn't modle the dammage, they could theorectily just transform the mesh using code when the player crashes. However in practise and collison detection it would use up more resorces than needed.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

First, Kaz makes it a point to mention that Prologue is not an indication of the final product and that it's simply to test the reaction of the hardcore Gran Turismo fans, and to perfect the online network.

InsaneBasura

What a bunch of crock. The only reason Prologue exists is to make some quick cash. Or are you telling me GTC, GT4:P etc. were also supposed to "test the reaction of the hardcore GT fans"? And you'd think after four games he'd know what the fans want, but considering the first four games are basically alike I doubt he gives a crap. He wants to perfect his vision, not the fans'. Otherwise damage would've been in GT3 already, multiplayer in GT4 and there wouldn't be an abundance of ****ty Japanese cars.

Oh of course they want to make some money...but you can't prove his other reasons to be invalid. This is the first GT to be online. Why wouldn't they want to test it out before the real game hits?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts
Thats just weird, Either do all cars with damage or none at all. Half Ass!Cubs360
nothing is more real than bashing into a car and having your car be damaged and the other car be pristine
penguino726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 penguino726
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts
thats quite interesting... I see that alot of people are angry, but it doesn't bother me too much.... Its not THAT big a deal, I mean it feels good to break other peoples cars but it has always annoyed me how fast my car gets to be unrecognizable from little bumps (okay maybe I'm a horrible driver:oops:... ) but I trust poly to do a great job I mean they are perfectionists and they've never really let us down, so we'll have to see. Forza is great fun i'd have to agree, but just doesnt have the same feel as GT has in my opinion :)
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts

Alot of people here doesnt realize the true reason why it is so hard to include damage system on Gan Turismo games. Now GT critics, read this; BECAUSE GT USES ACCURATE BUILD OF REAL LIFE BRANDED CARS & MOST CAR CORPORATIONS DOESNT WANT THEIR PRODUCT TO LOOK DEFECTED IN PUBLIC VIEWING! Polyphony would either pay these companies or persuade them. GT5 will have around a thousand branded cars in its library now thats alot of work just to include all damage engine to the cars in the game.

I would rather play a driving simulator with 1000 real life based cars with no damage than 1000 fictional brand and copied cars from real life with damage system. :roll:

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

TREAL_Since

Oh hell yeah. And some of the best presentation and music in any series.

Its music is ok, a mixed bag - I honestly prefer Forza's, but its presentation is top notch - the best - no doubt.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 InsaneBasura

I have no idea how this is supposed to work in practice. Unless the invincible cars are in a specific class that can only race against each other I don't know how they're supposed to work around the inevitable mess it'd become. Either way it sucks.

They should just dump the silly manufacturers who refuse to comply.

somebody has acar that cant be damaged and the rest have cars that can be.

Forza has full damage on all cars how can they pull that off if some of the manufacturers dont like it?

mehhhh

mindz2004

Polyphony has licenses Turn 10 don't? Forza 2 doesn't contain every single manufacturer in the world you know.

And you don't know what a pain in the ass it is to deal with them. They all have different policies, some more ridiculous than others. For instance, IIRC Microsoft/Turn 10 couldn't release screenshots of a certain car unless it was in the lead. That's the level of ridiculousness we're talking about. No offense to hd28guy, but GT is the more respected series. To such a degree that a car model was unveiled in GT at the same time as the real thing at some convention wherever it was. That they're having such difficulties convincing manufacturers is not a good thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

If they did none with damage, people like you (and the others here) would cry about it. But as the article clearly states, some car makers wouldn't allow their cars to be damaged in the game. Most of the cars will be damageable.

For all any of us know, the car damage is set up in such a way that it is minimal, or only a graphical feature. Or, perhaps the non-damage cars can only race against other non-damage cars, like a new class.

Who knows. This is just another excuse for the Sony haters to cry about something.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

TREAL_Since

Oh of course they want to make some money...but you can't prove his other reasons to be invalid. This is the first GT to be online. Why wouldn't they want to test it out before the real game hits?

...that's not the part I was trying to rebuke. Because that's actually a bit logical. However, it's hardly the true reason why they're wasting time and money on this elaborate demo. They could easily test that sort of stuff internally. And if they wanted to try an open beta they'd release an open beta, not release and charge for this pseudogame.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eltroz

I never thought I would say this but I am really starting to feel bad for the PS3 users. I mean they keep believing the things Sony says and then they keep turning into lies. I do not blame the fans because it is Sony's fault. To say though that there will be damage to the cars in GT which is a must in a driving sim in todays gamming and then it turns out only select cars will have it is pretty crappy thing.

Sad thing is it seems their excuse is to say the game has soul :lol:

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eltroz

Alot of people here doesnt realize the true reason why it is so hard to include damage system on Gan Turismo games. Now GT critics, read this; BECAUSE GT USES ACCURATE BUILD OF REAL LIFE BRANDED CARS & MOST CAR CORPORATIONS DOESNT WANT THEIR PRODUCT TO LOOK DEFECTED IN PUBLIC VIEWING! Polyphony would either pay these companies or persuade them. GT5 will have around a thousand branded cars in its library now thats alot of work just to include all damage engine to the cars in the game.

I would rather play a driving simulator with 1000 real life based cars with no damage than 1000 fictional brand and copied cars from real life with damage system. :roll:

JCblueside
Forza 2 has real cars also and is able to have damage also so you post fails.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Thats just weird.

Forza had cars from every major manufacture like Ferrari,Toyota,Honda,Mclaren and they all had damage.There's no reason Polphony shouldn't have it on all cars.

rocklegacy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 rocklegacy2
Member since 2005 • 8428 Posts

Well GT definitely has more of a style than the Forza series. S'pose that's the 'soul' he was talking about?

As for the damage. I suppose that's good news for people who really want it.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts
[QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Eltroz

Wrong. GT5 Has the most accurate builds of cars of any racing sim out there. I would also play a game that has real life based cars rathere than copied cars with damage.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tango90101

[QUOTE="Cubs360"]Thats just weird, Either do all cars with damage or none at all. Half Ass!ZIMdoom

If they did none with damage, people like you (and the others here) would cry about it. But as the article clearly states, some car makers wouldn't allow their cars to be damaged in the game. Most of the cars will be damageable.

For all any of us know, the car damage is set up in such a way that it is minimal, or only a graphical feature. Or, perhaps the non-damage cars can only race against other non-damage cars, like a new class.

Who knows. This is just another excuse for the Sony haters to cry about something.

kaz used the same excuse with the GT4 only to have Forza include damage in EVERY car from EVERY maker... meaning kaz is full of b.s...

actually, i'm laughing...not crying...

Forza 2 ALREADY has GT5 trumped.. now that's just sad....:(

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tango90101
[QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Rikusaki

Wrong. GT5 Has the most accurate builds of cars of any racing sim out there. I would also play a game that has real life based cars rathere than copied cars with damage.

not true... stop believing the hype...

unless you can point out EXACTLY what GT5 models have that Forza/Forza 2 models don't have...

i haven't seen anything....

Avatar image for gundamdragonque
gundamdragonque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gundamdragonque
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
GT will outsell Forza
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rikusaki

Thats just weird.

Forza had cars from every major manufacture like Ferrari,Toyota,Honda,Mclaren and they all had damage.There's no reason Polphony shouldn't have it on all cars.

whocares4peace

Its harder for Polyphony to do damage because:

1. They have never done it before.

2. The cars are too complex (200,000+ POLYGONS PER CAR)

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tango90101

Well GT definitely has more of a style than the Forza series. S'pose that's the 'soul' he was talking about?

As for the damage. I suppose that's good news for people who really want it.

rocklegacy2

using "style" is almost as pointless as using the word "soul" in a simulator...

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="Rikusaki"][QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="JCblueside"]

tango90101

unless you can point out EXACTLY what GT5 models have that Forza/Forza 2 models don't have...

Compare a Forza car model compare it to GT's model then compare it to real life.

"GT5 should only be compared to real-life, not other games."

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Eltroz
[QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Rikusaki

Stop believing everything Sony says like it is the word of God. I mean really, Sony also said there would be damage then look what happened only a few cars will have it. Just because Sony says something does not make it true.I swear the way Sony fans go by everything Sony says like it is law just amazes me everytime. Gt is not the only game to use real cars with accurate builds. Forza 2 has real cars also and is the best exclusive sim at this time.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"][QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Rikusaki

Compare a Forza car model compare it to GT's model then compare it to real life.

"GT5 should only be compared to real-life, not other games."

i have compared.. and i'm still waiting for you to point out what makes GT models more accurate...

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Eltroz
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Thats just weird.

Rikusaki

OMG Who cars if they have never done it. IS that really a excuse for you? I am sorry but it is time for them to advance some and learn to catch up to the times or at least the Sony fans could admit it is not a SIM racer.
Arsenal325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Arsenal325
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts
niiiiice.. oh well lemmings.. there is always forza 3 for you.... ill be playing GT5 ( the real simulation game) until the end of this gen or until gt6 comes out. :) and each time i pop in that disk ill still be amazed at the graphics unlike the cartoony sight forza2 has.. looks horrible.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Thats just weird.

Rikusaki

How does that matter to the end user?
And how the hell does it matter that they have not done it before, it's no one's fault but their one.

Turn 10 hadn't done damage modelling before Forza 1, yet they applied damage modelling on the cars and the cars looked better than in GT4. There's a very simple reason why Polyphony is doing this, they want to rush the game out to increase the ps3 install base, not because its "too hard"

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="Rikusaki"][QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="JCblueside"]

Eltroz

Stop believing everything Sony says like it is the word of God. I mean really, Sony also said there would be damage then look what happened only a few cars will have it. Just because Sony says something does not make it true.I swear the way Sony fans go by everything Sony says like it is law just amazes me everytime. Gt is not the only game to use real cars with accurate builds. Forza 2 has real cars also and is the best exclusive sim at this time.

The Gran Turismo Series is still the best selling racing sim.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts
What!?!?! Some cars will have damage and some won't? That's not realism. I crash my Porsche 911 into a Ferrari Enzo doing 180mph and only the Porsche is damaged and there's not a scratch on the Enzo. lol!! That's a realist simulation, right?!? :lol: Dumb. This game isn't even worth getting unless the online is absolutely perfect. If the game is just like GT3 & GT4 with the same licenses, modes, events, etc... then it will bore me to death. If it plays online against 20 other players, then it's worth a look.