Graphics king 2010: Halo: Reach (56K? Seriously?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mr_poodles123
Member since 2009 • 1661 Posts

Here is a Beta screenshot, showing how much the game has improved.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

i can not understand why people find this game graphically impressive at all.

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
No it's not gfx king, is more or less around the level of a better looking multiplat, it's pretty colorful for a FPS though.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
It looks worse than average.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

It's sooooo pretty. I don't think it's technically the best though. It's not even better than Crysis.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

ferret-gamer

I agree... the textures are just really bad, the physics don't add much, the size isn't all that impressive, and the player count is very low. Halo games may have somewhat decent gameplay but their graphics have never been a standout quality.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

ferret-gamer

yeah, looks like an N64 game.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

It looks worse than average.gamebreakerz__
No it doesn't. As for topic it looks nice but not graphic king material IMO. If you want a game that loks worse than average check out Perfect Dark Zero, Vampire Reign Bullet Witch.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
Halo isnt about graphics but still reach is one of the best looking games cant wait
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts

Halo is known to have large areas with large amounts of people unlike many of the hallway shooters now so it will be interesting to see Reach considering Bungie has said they have doubled the amount of enemy AI and vehicles on screen at once. I think graphically what Reach is doing will be better then many of the so called graphic kings. It is MUCH harder to pull off what bungie is doing with 40 enemy AI and in a large area then 3-4 enemy AI in a small area.

I am glad Bungie did not feel pressure to buckle and make a hallway shooter to compete for the graphics king title and instead make the type of game that made them legands.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Looks nice...not amazing

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

Considering the beta honestly looked no better then Halo 3 and was also a jagfest I'm calling bullshots. Unless the campaign is sigificantly better looking then the Reach beta I've played then Halo Reach is no graphics king.

With that said I do believe Reach is a good looking game and I think the scale that bungie is going after is impressive... I think the texture work, geometry, and effects are good, they just need to add AA to make the game look great. However if the beta is any indication of Reach's graphics then it will remain a jagfest like the others before it and should not even be considered to be in the top 10 best looking console games.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 karasill
[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

I agree... the textures are just really bad, the physics don't add much, the size isn't all that impressive, and the player count is very low. Halo games may have somewhat decent gameplay but their graphics have never been a standout quality.

I'm pretty sure Halo CE and Halo 2 were considered one of the Xbox's best looking games. For their time they were very impressive. You may want to retract that last statement.
P-vs-P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 P-vs-P
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

karasill

I'm pretty sure Halo CE and Halo 2 were considered one of the Xbox's best looking games. For their time they were very impressive. You may want to retract that last statement.

Just shows how much XBOX sucked then

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"]

Halo is known to have large areas with large amounts of people unlike many of the hallway shooters now so it will be interesting to see Reach considering Bungie has said they have doubled the amount of enemy AI and vehicles on screen at once. I think graphically what Reach is doing will be better then many of the so called graphic kings. It is MUCH harder to pull off what bungie is doing with 40 enemy AI and in a large area then 3-4 enemy AI in a small area.

I am glad Bungie did not feel pressure to buckle and make a hallway shooter to compete for the graphics king title and instead make the type of game that made them legands.

Well said, i also find it ironic that even the best looking shooters dont have an impact community wise and sales wise as halo. I guess the consumers has spoken that better gameplay is more important than graphics
lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="arto1223"]

P-vs-P

yeah, it sucked so bad it had the best looking console games all gen. gg.

washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

its not bad just nothing impressive. if this was say 2005 or 06 you may have a case

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

you know i just realized something, halo and starcraft 2 share the same art style :O

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 linkin_guy109

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

best looking games for the original xbox im pretty sure were hitman blood money, conker, and riddick, there are probably others but those are the ones that come to mind off of the top of my head
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 karasill
[QUOTE="P-vs-P"]

Yeah :roll: The only problem with your statement is that the Xbox usually had the best looking games and beat out the PS2 and Gamecube 95% of the time when it came to grahpics.
ZarbonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZarbonX
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

dude that doesn't look better then MW2 graphically

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Not impressed at all.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 karasill

linkin_guy109

best looking games for the original xbox im pretty sure were hitman blood money, conker, and riddick, there are probably others but those are the ones that come to mind off of the top of my head

I said one of the best, not the best. Riddick was impressive but it was also a hallway shooter. Halo was just a small step down with a much bigger open environment.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

looks pretty good but not graphics king though.

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mr_poodles123

ZarbonX

Really?

It's good, but unfortunately MW2 sucks.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 linkin_guy109

[QUOTE="ZarbonX"]

mr_poodles123

Really?

now you see thats just not a fair comparison, your posting a really bad picture of modern warfare 2, mw2 may not look as good as reach but it doesnt look THAT bad

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts
Considering the beta honestly looked no better then Halo 3 and was also a jagfest I'm calling bullshots. Unless the campaign is sigificantly better looking then the Reach beta I've played then Halo Reach is no graphics king. With that said I do believe Reach is a good looking game and I think the scale that bungie is going after is impressive... I think the texture work, geometry, and effects are good, they just need to add AA to make the game look great. However if the beta is any indication of Reach's graphics then it will remain a jagfest like the others before it and should not even be considered to be in the top 10 best looking console games.karasill
they have MSAAx2. improvment from the beta are SSAO, better color contrast and better/ smoother AA (no more ghosting), The entire game recieved another layer of polish. and campaign always looks noticeably better than MP in halo. its funny people are bashing the textures. In halo 3 some textures are crystal clear even under the view of x4 sniper scope, if Reach has twice the texture resolution and higher native reasolution how could it look bad? then bungie has stated that Reach has 4 million more polygons on screen than Halo 3. Reach has a 3d sky box meaning those clouds and mountain in the back ground are 3D unlike UC2's 2D clouds, other than that, reach has 10 times more dynamic lights than Halo 3 does (40), each plasma bolt is its own light source and an enrgy sowrd casts light on everything around it, The character models have 30K polygons in them, meaning more than Kz2 and nearly every other game on the 360 and Ps3. Reach has a smooth LOD system that streams more detail on things closer to you while the farther things get an imposter to allow more detail on closer objects. I don't think it looks better than GOW3 though, and it defiently won't look better than GT5 but it is graphics king of the 360- Easy. It is very technically profecient however, 40 AI and 20 vehicles all doing thier thing, thousands of colliding particle effectsgorgeuous tesselated water effects and shadows. game looks very pretty, and is the best looking 360 game to date.
NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

[QUOTE="ZarbonX"]

mr_poodles123

Really?

Yes, really.

Try posting a proper picture next time.

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mr_poodles123
[QUOTE="karasill"]Considering the beta honestly looked no better then Halo 3 and was also a jagfest I'm calling bullshots. Unless the campaign is sigificantly better looking then the Reach beta I've played then Halo Reach is no graphics king. With that said I do believe Reach is a good looking game and I think the scale that bungie is going after is impressive... I think the texture work, geometry, and effects are good, they just need to add AA to make the game look great. However if the beta is any indication of Reach's graphics then it will remain a jagfest like the others before it and should not even be considered to be in the top 10 best looking console games.mayceV
they have MSAAx2. improvment from the beta are SSAO, better color contrast and better/ smoother AA (no more ghosting), The entire game recieved another layer of polish. and campaign always looks noticeably better than MP in halo. its funny people are bashing the textures. In halo 3 some textures are crystal clear even under the view of x4 sniper scope, if Reach has twice the texture resolution and higher native reasolution how could it look bad? then bungie has stated that Reach has 4 million more polygons on screen than Halo 3. Reach has a 3d sky box meaning those clouds and mountain in the back ground are 3D unlike UC2's 2D clouds, other than that, reach has 10 times more dynamic lights than Halo 3 does (40), each plasma bolt is its own light source and an enrgy sowrd casts light on everything around it, The character models have 30K polygons in them, meaning more than Kz2 and nearly every other game on the 360 and Ps3. Reach has a smooth LOD system that streams more detail on things closer to you while the farther things get an imposter to allow more detail on closer objects. I don't think it looks better than GOW3 though, and it defiently won't look better than GT5 but it is graphics king of the 360- Easy. It is very technically profecient however, 40 AI and 20 vehicles all doing thier thing, thousands of colliding particle effectsgorgeuous tesselated water effects and shadows. game looks very pretty, and is the best looking 360 game to date.

Basically, reach looks awesome.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mayceV
[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

[QUOTE="mr_poodles123"]

[QUOTE="ZarbonX"]

Really?

now you see thats just not a fair comparison, your posting a really bad picture of modern warfare 2, mw2 may not look as good as reach but it doesnt look THAT bad

it does up close, probably the worst textures this gen.
ZarbonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZarbonX
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

wow dude u used a screenshot from a one mission vehicle that prolly wasn't worked on much of course that snowspeeder doesn't look good MW2 wasn't snowspeeder realism game

and Its my opinion that i thing graphically the scenery and the character an guns look more realistic and graphically enhanced then halo reach an thats my opinion do whatever uw atnt with it just dont post snowspeeder screenshots

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mayceV
[QUOTE="NotTarts"]

[QUOTE="mr_poodles123"]

[QUOTE="ZarbonX"]

Really?

Yes, really.

yeah I played that level on the 360 and it doesn't look that good, that is obviously PC- even then it doesn't look as good as reach. walk up to any texture and you can count pixels.
NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

[QUOTE="NotTarts"]

[QUOTE="mr_poodles123"]

Really?

mayceV

Yes, really.

yeah I played that level on the 360 and it doesn't look that good, that is obviously PC- even then it doesn't look as good as reach. walk up to any texture and you can count pixels.

I know MW2 doesn't look as good as Reach (especially in motion), but the screenshot he posted was just ridiculous.

konzen29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 konzen29
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

i just like the art style of halo

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mr_poodles123

[QUOTE="mayceV"][QUOTE="NotTarts"]

Yes, really.

NotTarts

I know MW2 doesn't look as good as Reach (especially in motion), but the screenshot he posted was just ridiculous.

I posted a picture of when the game is trying it's hardest. Here is when reach is trying it's hardest.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
doesn't look good at all. not impressed.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mayceV
[QUOTE="NotTarts"]

[QUOTE="mayceV"][QUOTE="NotTarts"]

Yes, really.

yeah, it was pretty attrocious, just a tip though, try posting 720p shots because the pic you posted is considered a bullshot because downsizing a pic gives it FSAA because the pixels are shrunk, it also hides visual blemishes.
IAMSERIAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IAMSERIAL
Member since 2010 • 261 Posts
It's disappointing how Bungie lied again. The game is not done on a new engine and it just doesn't look like much of an improvement. I know Halo isn't about graphics, but that certainly wasn't the case LAST GEN. Halo 2 was one of the top looking games on consoles. Halo 3 and now Reach is looking mediocre. I'm sure the game will be great though.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Nothing in game does not really help your case. With FF13, GoW3, GT5, Alan Wake, and even Bioshock 2 should more than give it a run for its money.
teun3sixty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 teun3sixty
Member since 2010 • 136 Posts
Lol at people who even say a halo game has bad textures. Halo 2, halo 3, halo odst and reach's engine use multiple texture layer technology. if you zoom in with a sniper on a rock in halo reach, you still see amazing new detail you wouldnt see by just looking at it normally. Further more, halo reach is going to be the best looking fps game of consoles to date. Modern warfare 2 uses bitmap technology, bitmap images alover, it aims for an realistic look with this style. Halo reach has volemetric clouds, an insane draw distance, for example grass has a draw distance that destroys any game i've seen out there, no more 15meter radius pop up on that. Simulated particle systems, high textured models all around, a scale and things going on that is amazing. There is no game that does what halo reach does technology wise on consoles. graphics are not only a simple given screen. Any game can be made ugly via a screenshot that's a straight fact. Halo reach amazingly fluid animation, just look at the assassinations that go on, or the amazing explosions. On top of that, the artistic direction is top notch, and is arguably in the top. Maybe most of you appreciate graphics via a screenshot or a moment capture screen. I appreciate a game's graphics by its technological achievements and artstyle. Halo reach beats all fps console games in that department, in my opinion. Btw dont post screens of crysis and comparing it to reach. Or Call of pripyat, wich is probably the most realistic looking game on the planet with reloaded 0.6. Screen wars are always biased.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
The artwork is beautiful but the graphics are lower than average imo.
chronocross668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chronocross668
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts

Looks like Halo Ce pc version. Only halo can get aways with xbox 1 level graphic, in 2010 and stil score 9.5 lol sad.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mayceV
[QUOTE="wooooode"]Nothing in game does not really help your case. With FF13, GoW3, GT5, Alan Wake, and even Bioshock 2 should more than give it a run for its money.[/QOTE] GOW3 and GT5 is the only ones giving it a run for its money, other games are beat by Reach, (actually I think GT5 and GOW3 trumph HR) still though FF13 no, AW no, adn Bioshock 2 no. its by no means graphics king, but it is on 360. seriously though the game does so much and still has split screen and plenty of other things, it is very technically profecient, and beats eveything currently on 360. atleast until Crysis 2 comes around.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
It looks solid, but no way is it anywhere close to being a "graphics king."
PAL360

Forum Posts