Gran Turismo 5 will run at 4 times 1080p, 240 FPS!

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts

http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD

Polyphony Digital also presented two technological trials for the next generation at this event. Both of the presentations, were founded on the philosophy of "achieving the highest possible quality" held over the years by Gran Turismo.

One of these, was a time trial competition using Sony's newest digital cinema projector, the "SRX-S110". Gran Turismo 5 prologue is already in Full HD resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels, providing the highest resolution possible in today's TV content. However in this time trial, the Full HD image was increased to twice the resolution both vertically and horizontally (4x the surface area), enabling game play at an ultra high resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. This was performed by connecting and synchronizing four Playstation 3's outputting a quarter of the image each at 1920x1080 pixels, but you must remember this demands an extremely high quality image from the source that can withstand the ultra high resolution. It can be said that this demonstration was only made possible, because the source image was Gran Turismo.

What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This "4K"SXRD"(*1) projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of breathtaking image expression introduced here.

The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.

*1: Abbreviation for Silicon X-tal Reflective Display. A reflective LCD display device using monocrystalline silicon with aluminum mirrors as the drive element.

The "SRX-S110" digital cinema projector set above the time trial seat. With its high precision LCD display device "4K SXRD", it is able to display 8.85 million pixels, which is over 4 times the resolution of full HD. The massive 220 inch screen where the ultra high resolution image of the SRX-110 was projected. The overwhelming resolution and high contrast completely leaves the limits of previous existing projectors in the dust. The Ultra-Real, 240fps Demonstration

The other display was a playable demonstration on a Nano-Spindt FED / Field Emissions Display developed by Sony, with a frame rate of 240fps (240 frames per second).

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has already achieved a frame rate of 60p (progressive), but in this demo, Gran Turismo was made playable at four times this frame rate at 240fps.

The SXRD demonstration described above used four PS3's to improve image quality, but this used the same to increase the frame rate.

The display used in this demonstration was the 19 inch nano-Spindt FED screen produced by FE Technologies, who is a company that has taken over the development of the FED technology that was being developed at Sony. This display contains over 10,000 electron sources called the nano-spindt emitter, per pixcel. A fluorescent substance is exposed to the electrons from the emitters to produce light, and this format is very close to a cathode-ray tube in principle. The resulting view angle is wider in comparison to a LCD panel, and it shows superior performance when displaying moving images, with no blurring of the outline.

Structure of the nano-Spindt FED. With over 10,000 nano-Spindt emitters per pixel emitting electrons to a fluorescent substance to produce images, the principle is very close to a cathode-ray tube type display. It has many high image quality performance characteristics, with a wider view angle, superior ability to produce black color, rich tone expression, motion pictures with no blurring of the outline, etc. Expanded view of a single pixel. The diameter of one nano-Spindt emitter is approximately 120 nanometers (left). Over 10,000 of these comprise one pixel (middle). A fluorescent substance is exposed to the electron emitted from these emitters, to produce an image (right) Comparison of the nano-Spindt FED and LCD panel structures. The nano-Spindt FED does not have a backlight, polarized plate nor light guide plate, making the parts structure very simple.

Four PS3's were also used in this demonstration. The frame rate of a single PS3 is 60fps, or 1/60 of a second, but by having four PS3's draw an image four times within this 1/60 of a second, a frame rate of 1/240 of a second is made possible.

You can see the shocking difference of this high frame rate Gran Turismo immediately when you see the screen. It is as though you are following a real world event happening right in front of your face with your own eyes. Any and all flickering in the movement of the vehicle, in the smoke from the tires, etc. are completely gone, and you are almost tricked into believing you are watching something in real life. The guests at the event were baffled by the quality of the image, and stared in amazement at the screen.

The event merging cars, art, design and music, reached its finale with great success, and through two revolutionary demonstrations, Gran Turismo has also succeeded in producing a clear image of the future, and the road to get there.

※2: Abbreviation for Field Emission Display

The 19 inch nano-Spindt FED (Prototype) was placed on display especially for this event. The monitor is able to display 240 frames per second, providing an experience very close to real life.

Text by the Gran Turismo.com Operations Team.

My god! Madness simply....Madness

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
A bit of breaking news: 4 Playstation 3 Consoles > 1 Xbox 360 Console!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Wow really technical...

Where can I find a 1080p x 4 HDTV :P

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
You couldn't do that with 360s. That many units together would burn the meeting room down if they didn't all RRoD first! :D
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Unforgiven2870
11-19-2008
You couldn't do that with 360s. That many units together would burn the meeting room down if they didn't all RRoD first! :DSpruceCaboose
I'm sure it would but still 240 FPS!? still insane lol.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wasdie  Moderator

You couldn't do that with 360s. That many units together would burn the meeting room down if they didn't all RRoD first! :DSpruceCaboose

Remind me to never have a 360 lan party...

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]You couldn't do that with 360s. That many units together would burn the meeting room down if they didn't all RRoD first! :DWasdie

At least not without fire extinguishers and some fire departments on standby! :lol:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]You couldn't do that with 360s. That many units together would burn the meeting room down if they didn't all RRoD first! :DSpruceCaboose

At least not without fire extinguishers and some fire departments on standby! :lol:

I am afraid that if I have a PS3 lan party I would short out the electrical circuts in the building from all of the power it will suck up...

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Unforgiven2870
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]You couldn't do that with 360s. That many units together would burn the meeting room down if they didn't all RRoD first! :DSpruceCaboose

Yea make sure no bonfires anyway,The chart is pretty slef explanitory.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
Good to know they are busy making their game.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

The high resolution image was a SEPARATE DISPLAY from the 240 fps version. They used four PS3's to achieve that huge image, and then another four to achieve 240 fps on a 19" screen.

Now I'm totally unimpressed. (j/k)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

how exactly did they make it 240fps? you cant just say 60+60+60+60 it doesn't work that way, if they artificially uped the frame rate the game was playing at then maybe but otherwise it was still just 60fps.

Edit: canadian explained it the huge image wasn't running at 240fps just the 19 inch one which is sort of funny.

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts

meh it took four ps3's to do that??? :lol:

one ps3 is capable of 120fps and 4d!!!!! who needs four!!!!

sarcasm\

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpruceCaboose

how exactly did they make it 240fps? you cant just say 60+60+60+60 it doesn't work that way, if they artificially uped the frame rate the game was playing at then maybe but otherwise it was still just 60fps.

Edit: canadian explained it the huge image wasn't running at 240fps just the 19 inch one which is sort of funny.

WilliamRLBaker

Still awesome. I don't see any 360 cluster doing that.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
Interesting read. I love stuff like this, but I'm a geek. I just hope that I'm still around when the day comes and I can look back at say remember when :)
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

4 PS3 >>>> 1 Xbox360???

NOOOO

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WilliamRLBaker

How can you say you've never seen an 360 cluster doing that when they haven't done it? its 2 different things to say that it cant do it and it hasn't done it, Who knows what can be done when Sony throws probably a couple million dollars alone in R&D just for an demo type thing like this article describes cause atleast that much must have been thrown around just to get the tech, and companies together and the programming wrote to get this pulled off.

P.S: i never made any claim againest the articles awesomeness simply asked a question of how they came up with 240fps if they artificially increased the frame rate or like the diagram showed like some computer programmer d student believe 60+60+60+60=240fps.

P.P.S: as for that its not awesome they spent millions to put together what amounts to LOOK what i can do! they could have put that into R&D for many other things, or donated it to a charity or something.

P.P.P.S: yes microsoft is guilty of this as well.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
is it true that the human eye cant tell if its really 240fps since 60 is enough?
speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 prologue is already in Full HD resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels

Unforgiven2870

Wrong.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpruceCaboose
How can you say you've never seen an 360 cluster doing that when they haven't done it? its 2 different things to say that it cant do it and it hasn't done it, Who knows what can be done when Sony throws probably a couple million dollars alone in R&D just for an demo type thing like this article describes cause atleast that much must have been thrown around just to get the tech, and companies together and the programming wrote to get this pulled off.

WilliamRLBaker

If they could, they would have.
superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superjim42

WilliamRLBaker

a cluster of xbox360's = run for your life because the building is burning down....or oh snap!!! four rrods

bucckevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bucckevin
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts

WOW! If I find 10 other xbox 360 and run the same game at 30fps, I'll get 300FPS!

300 FRAMES PER SECOND GUYS! 300 ..........

If I drive to work at 60mph and have my wife drive her car to my work place at 60mph at the same time, I'll be going 120MPH!!!!! THAT'S INSANELY ILLEGAL!

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 superjim42
[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"]

speedsix

Wrong.

link to say its not?

cos i have a link showing its rendered at 1080p at 60fps http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/Gran_Turismo_5_Prologue

dont post without doing research. only end up owning yourself in the end

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Unforgiven2870
[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"]

speedsix

Wrong.

ummm i think you quoted the wrong person there.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
This is obviousaly due to the hidden power of the cell......Great engineering by Ken Kutaragi led to this amazing achievement..

This is what 4-D really is...Lemmings OWNED
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]How can you say you've never seen an 360 cluster doing that when they haven't done it? its 2 different things to say that it cant do it and it hasn't done it, Who knows what can be done when Sony throws probably a couple million dollars alone in R&D just for an demo type thing like this article describes cause atleast that much must have been thrown around just to get the tech, and companies together and the programming wrote to get this pulled off.

SpruceCaboose

*read the edit of my reply to you and atleast come up with something better then they would if they could have* Cause surfice to say just because a person can doesn't mean they should or would do it.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpruceCaboose

WOW! If I find 10 other xbox 360 and run the same game at 30fps, I'll get 300FPS!

300 FRAMES PER SECOND GUYS! 300 ..........

If I drive to work at 60mph and have my wife drive her car to my work place at 60mph at the same time, I'll be going 120MPH!!!!! THAT'S INSANELY ILLEGAL!

bucckevin

That is not what they did, really. Each box renders every 4th frame, so that does make it 240 FPS.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]How can you say you've never seen an 360 cluster doing that when they haven't done it? its 2 different things to say that it cant do it and it hasn't done it, Who knows what can be done when Sony throws probably a couple million dollars alone in R&D just for an demo type thing like this article describes cause atleast that much must have been thrown around just to get the tech, and companies together and the programming wrote to get this pulled off.

WilliamRLBaker

*read the edit of my reply to you and atleast come up with something better then they would if they could have* Cause surfice to say just because a person can doesn't mean they should or would do it.

They would have. MS loves this kinda faux chest pounding. Look at Project Mojave.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

No one has that many monitors. :(

Kewl though. :)

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
Breaking news: Four out of something produces four times as good results!
bucckevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bucckevin
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts

That is not what they did, really. Each box renders every 4th frame, so that does make it 240 FPS.

SpruceCaboose

Actually, it would be more like Intel calling their 2ghz quad core, a 8ghz cpu.....

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

You guys do know that GT5 DOES NOT run in full 1080p, right? Its 1280x1080 upscaled.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpruceCaboose

Breaking news: Four out of something produces four times as good results!InsaneBasura

If only that were always true... :O

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 superjim42

Breaking news: Four out of something produces four times as good results!InsaneBasura

that must mean four cows together farting causes four times the methane. which is great for the environment :roll:

flawed logic FTW!!!

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SpruceCaboose

Actually, it would be more like Intel calling their 2ghz quad core, a 8ghz cpu.....

bucckevin

Its not the same, since this actually output 240 unique frames per second, which is exactly what 240 FPS is supposed to be. How they achieved it is the only difference, not the outcome.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts

This is obviousaly due to the hidden power of the cell......Great engineering by Ken Kutaragi led to this amazing achievement..

This is what 4-D really is...Lemmings OWNED jg4xchamp

The fourth dimension is time. Please tell me how Gran Turismo 5 plans to manipulate time before you start "claiming ownage" as they say around here.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

SpruceCaboose

Can't three 360's playing 3 Tv's do that with Forza 2? Instead of getting a larger view you get a better angles or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJptW8xFivQ

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

waynehead895

Can't three 360's playing 3 Tv's do that with Forza 3? Instead of getting a larger view you get a better angles or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJptW8xFivQ

3 != 4

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Locke562

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]This is obviousaly due to the hidden power of the cell......Great engineering by Ken Kutaragi led to this amazing achievement..

This is what 4-D really is...Lemmings OWNED DonPerian

The fourth dimension is time. Please tell me how Gran Turismo 5 plans to manipulate time before you start "claiming ownage" as they say around here.

There it goes! Right over.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]How can you say you've never seen an 360 cluster doing that when they haven't done it? its 2 different things to say that it cant do it and it hasn't done it, Who knows what can be done when Sony throws probably a couple million dollars alone in R&D just for an demo type thing like this article describes cause atleast that much must have been thrown around just to get the tech, and companies together and the programming wrote to get this pulled off.

WilliamRLBaker

http://forzamotorsport.net/news/drivingtuning/triplescreen.htm

Not as big a screen, but it is technically feasible for anyone who wants to play Forza 2 in this manner, rather than a programmed demo.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

GT5>Fm2??:lol:

Is that the level we are at?? Comparing a 4+ year old game(by the time GT5 hits)??

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

You all laughed when Ken Kutaragi said that you'd play PS3 games at 2160p at 120 FPS."He's crazy!" you said. "It'll never happen!"

Well, who's laughing now? 

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Unforgiven2870

Is that the level we are at?? Comparing a 4+ year old game(by the time GT5 hits)??

masiisam
U realize that part was just bait right?
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Unforgiven2870

You all laughed when Ken Kutaragi said that you'd play PS3 games at 2160p at 120 FPS."He's crazy!" you said. "It'll never happen!"

Well, who's laughing now? 

sonicmj1
I remember those past threads like that talk about crazy.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]This is obviousaly due to the hidden power of the cell......Great engineering by Ken Kutaragi led to this amazing achievement..

This is what 4-D really is...Lemmings OWNED DonPerian

The 4th Dimension is beyond anything your mind can possibly understand
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

A bit of breaking news: 4 Playstation 3 Consoles > 1 Xbox 360 Console!Locke562

This is one of the most misleading thread titles i've ever seen on SW.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="Locke562"]A bit of breaking news: 4 Playstation 3 Consoles > 1 Xbox 360 Console!Senor_Kami

This is one of the most misleading thread titles i've ever seen on SW.

It is all true though.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Locke562
[QUOTE="DonPerian"]

This is what 4-D really is...Lemmings OWNED jg4xchamp

The 4th Dimension is beyond anything your mind can possibly understand

That's why we leave it up to genius minds like that of Ken Kuta... Kuta something to figure it our for us!

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
[QUOTE="masiisam"]

Unforgiven2870

...:evil:...Hook line and sinker...just gut me and throw my leg on the BBQ...

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Unforgiven2870
[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"][QUOTE="masiisam"]

masiisam

...:evil:...Hook line and sinker...just gut me and throw my leg on the BBQ...

No no no need lol just put up a grill we'll BBQ some hamburgers and have a few cold ones lol.