Good-Bye Nintendo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

I have been saying this for some time, and it has been misinterpreted over and over again. I've been called an elitist, biased, a hater, whatever....

Nintendo is hurting gaming.

Frankly, what Nintendo is doing right now is appealing to a market that's not us - the longtime gamer - but a market that is *them* - people who don't like videogames - people who play things like DDR, Guitar Hero, and Jane Fonda workout tapes. They shoved us aside with the Wii - in fact, look at Reggies' comments for the past two years - they *are no longer interested* in catering to us.

At their press conference, Nintendo kept telling us "you're wrong". Over and over, in fact. They told us what to think. They told us "oh, you're wrong, this is gaming for everyone" - they essentially acted like "hehehe you're stupid, you don't get it." The reality is, they know this isn't gaming for us, they know we don't enjoy these games - but they figure, "hey, if we can tell some Nintendo diehards that we're making gaming *better*, maybe we can drag them along".

Everything they're doing right now is about catering to sales from a lucrative market - a market we've been calling "casuals" - but in retrospect we should have kept calling "non-gamers". Casuals *used to be* a market that pumped their chests for Madden and Halo - what we have here is a new beast entirely.

-

-

-

For a minute, just concede that Nintendo doesn't care. Why are they harming gaming? Because they control so many nostalgic series. I had to give this up *a long time ago*. As an early Sega fan, I had to accept that my favorite games - such as Sonic the Hedgehog - were no longer the same. I had to come to terms with the parent company Sega losing their minds - Sonic 3D Blast helped a great deal to drive that reality home, and by the time I played Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Adventure 2, it became easier to accept that Sega was going downhill.

Nintendo isn't dying, they were though, they were dying, losing marketshare, and they found this huge new market with the Wii... and unfortunately, much like Sega, they hold our old favorites hostage. So what do we get? Our best games come with concessions - Metroid Prime 3 will be built around "the zapper", goes back to stacked beams, and features basically a "turbo charged" mode -why? All in the interest of making the bastion of Nintendo's "hardcore" catalog still sell to some of the same people who will buy Wii Fitness.

They are trying to blend the ****c franchises into the Wii Sports / Play / Fitness market

Twilight Princess was one of the easiest Zelda games I've ever played, Super Paper Mario was time-consuming, but not exactly *challenging*, and Super Smash Brawl might not feature online gameplay.

-
-
_

And that was, by far, one of the worst parts of the show - "made you didn't notice that we already have online gameplay?" ... maybe Nintendo didn't notice that PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 have services that are lightyears ahead of what I do on a DS or Wii? I don't feel like I have "the world" in the palm of my hand when I play Mario Kart online on my DS - I feel like I might as well be playing against the AI - I can't identify if I'm really playing the same people again, there's no ranking, I can't talk to my opponents, I can't see my opponents - where is the online social interaction?

-
-

I feel that Nintendo has realized that online doesn't matter to increase DS / Wii sales, so they're not doing it - that simply they said "building a service like PSN costs too much money, and look at the people buying a Wii, they don't care." I do care, however, it's important for me. I have friends and family all over the world - being able to see their face and hear their voice while I play is vital - it makes it so I'm playing a racing game with my little brother, even though he's in another city - it makes it so I can talk to the other gamers in my Halo clan, even though they're in Denmark. Nintendo's issue isn't that they "don't get it" - it's that their current salesbase says "I can go to YouTube and MySpace on my Wii - Wii does it all!"

-
Nintendo is in a situation where, quite frankly, we, the longtime gamers, are supporting them out of nostalgia. If the actual *games* Nintendo is releasing - Metroid, Mario, Smash, et cetera - were the same games, but with new characters and titles, would we be buying them. Honestly, look in your heart and tell me you'd buy MP3 without the "M". This doesn't just apply to Nintendo - Halo 3 *looks awful* by comparisson to other FPS titles coming out this year - it hasn't *evolved* enough - the FPS genre moves and improve so quickly - yet Halo 3 looks archaic. Yet MP3 looks *even more* archaic, and we support it, why? Because it's Metroid. I'm as guilty as the next guy of doing this.

I'm sorry, this all might not be the level of logic or cohesiveness I usually have - I have no intention of becoming a fanboy or a hater or anything else, but I'm done with Nintendo - I am washing my hands of them. For me it's about more than the games, it's also about the vision behind those games, about what you're trying to do with them. Yesterday's showcase was a disgusting display of chest-pounding arrogance and a clear showing that Nintendo does not view games as art.

"Games are for everyone" doesn't mean you should stop making games for me. I always thought, as a kid when I played Gameboy, that Nintendo would grow up with me, and they haven't. Sega and Nintendo, hand-in-hand walked me down a brightly coloured path to living gaming - and now both of them are gone. Nintendo... Sega... gone. I thought they were gone last year, and I gave them one last chance here, I tried to be open-minded, but I can't do it anymore.

I cannot accept Nintendo's vision for gaming. I do not support the idea that titles such as Wii Fitness should be showcased as videogames.

I'm done Nintendo. You do what you want to do, you will never get another dollar from me. Say good-bye to the tens of thousands I've spent on your products over the years. Frankly, it's my finest wish that every other longtime Nintendo fan do the same. Hardcore gamers represent a great deal of software sales - as long as we continue to support their "blended" market - where they make *just enough* of a hardcore spin on ****c franchises to tempt us, they will be able to keep being insanely profitable.

-
-

I'm done. I'm sick and tired of having to hold my breath and pray - Sony this year "got it" - they were humble, they showed games, and they said "thanks for being here guys." Nintendo doesn't care. Sonic and Mario standing together in the same game should be enough of a warning sign to longtime gamers - hegehogs and plumbers running down a track together (at the same height, might I add, though Sega keeps changing how tall Sonic is every game, it's getting annoying) is, I believe, one of the signs of the apocalypse.
-
-
Nintendo's world has ended, and I'm done with it. Bye, see ya. Time to get a second or third job, because the future of gaming as I enjoy it does not lie in your competively priced "plug-n-play" remote controlled gaming box.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16038 Posts

Wow... best post ever. (I'm being 100% serious)

It almost brought a tear to my eye! because it's the truth. Good job.

Avatar image for reservoir_doggy
reservoir_doggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 reservoir_doggy
Member since 2006 • 4054 Posts
Wow that was one of the most well written and thoughtfull post I have everread. I agree with all of it it
amourkiss588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 amourkiss588
Member since 2005 • 315 Posts

not bad

and I totally understand ...

ever since they stuck their target in kiddy games, I was done with Nintendo back in N64 days ...

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts

Very nice.

It seems that everyone feels the same way about Nintendo's "sell-out" now.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts
Wow, this issue seems to have gotten you all riled up. I guess I was also riled up, but it was ages ago. The handwriting was on the wall when the Wii's specs and marketing focus were first announced. I'm surprised it's taken so long for real gamers to wake up and give up on Nintendo, but given the direction they've taken, it was inevitable.
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
let's not forget the true evil here... MICROSOFT
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

IT's sad to admit what they are doing, but they are doing it. I can't say it, I still have hope that you (The TC) have lost for the big N, and that is pathetic on my part.

Nintendo...

Nintendo...

Well, I guess it's tough to let go, but Honestly, I haven't touched my Wii in a few months now...it's tragic, but I thought something was going to happen.

Instead, they make a Wii version of Eyetoy Kinetic, and dumb down Metroid. Why?

Expect a MASSIVE SHEEP BACKLASH to start tomorrow. Nintendo has One more year, then I'm selling the Wii if they don't straighten up.

BTW : I've been saying the same things about the Wii, but Sheep don't want to hear it. It's tough, but I don't like calling my $250 entertainment machine a paperweight, but when I've been relegated to playing VC games that I own on the original console, it's a sad state of affairs for a gamer.

Natural_Mystic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Natural_Mystic
Member since 2003 • 4117 Posts
let's not forget the true evil here... MICROSOFTNaiKoN9293
And the scumbag liars Sony
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

so nintendo should focus on 10% of all gamers :?

although i do agree with you about the conference, it was a shambless, and I do think that nintendo arent doing enough for the hardcore gamers, in online and games.

But, well, they are companies with a business plan in mind. Nintendo are doing what they think is right, they took a gamble and it paid off. Honestly as harcore gamers all we can do is wait. Hopefully something decent will come out of nintendos next 3 days, but honestly, I aint holding my breath just yet.

MP3 is hardcore, galaxy is hardcore(kinda, i donno) and brawl is hardcore enough for pretty much every gamer. that will last for the rest of this year, but nintendo have their work cut out to impress us next year. :(

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Absolutely amazing and a post I entirely agree with. You look at the lineup and then you look at the defenses of Nintendo by those who claim to be "hardcore gamers" or say they have played videogames "since I was a little kid" and they are irreconsolable in my mind.

In fact heres my take on it without the infuriated rant that preceded:

Nintendo for all their monopolist and anti-third party attitudes during the NES and SNES eras actually did great things. Reading this you might think that I've always been anti-Nintendo I'm an unconsolable fanboy or that I'm somehow hoping for them to fail and leave the business.

This is not true. Until I was around 7 its true that I only played Atari 2600 but thats because that was all I had. Once we got a Super Nintendo I played it almost religiously. Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Super Mario All-Stars, Star Fox, and a multitude of third-party titles from Capcom to EA to Konami to Activision.

Then I got a N64 before I ever touched a PlayStation. Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, LoZ: OoT, Super Smash Bros. and I enjoyed them all and I stuck with Nintendo for a time there. But they failed me, not enough games were released by them or third parties, that generation was pretty much defined later on by poor console Pokemon titles and Mario spinoffs and I went to PlayStation.

With GCN I considered it, I still had a Nintendo Power subscription at the time but they didn't release enough and the degradation of quality continued, I didn't even consider the GCN after some point.

Heck, even as late as when the Wii was known of but still mysterious and called the Revolution I still had that subscription and I hoped for the best. Nintendo has once again failed me, they aren't the same company they used to be and my only alternatives are a monopolist I hate (Microsoft) and the still prohibitively expensive alternative (Sony) which I'm not exactly hot about either.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 subrosian
Wow, this issue seems to have gotten you all riled up. I guess I was also riled up, but it was ages ago. The handwriting was on the wall when the Wii's specs and marketing focus were first announced. I'm surprised it's taken so long for real gamers to wake up and give up on Nintendo, but given the direction they've taken, it was inevitable.WeeWeeJumbo

It's not always about the hardware specs, it's about the games. I realized that Nintendo was releasing a less powerful box at a rather high price (given the hardware) but that did not automatically doom the system. The PS2 wasn't particularly powerful, and yet it was able to foster amazing games - titles that rivaled what the more powerful Xbox and GCN were doing.

However, when the games have continued to go in the same direction as the hardware, there is nothing left to be salvaged. I will not be plied by a few baubles thrown in a pile of garbage - Nintendo's plans for releasing a few "more hardcore" games per year, without even being able to promise that they'll finally deliver the online platform I was promised before the Gamecube was released, frankly gets no support from me.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
It could also be said, highly priced consoles trying to become the centre of your lounge room instead of being a gaming device would hurt gaming.
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funnymario
[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]let's not forget the true evil here... MICROSOFTNatural_Mystic

Jokes, I hope?
Avatar image for pintabear49blue
pintabear49blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pintabear49blue
Member since 2007 • 4809 Posts

I agree with all the points you made but i will stick to nintendo for providing a new experience and buy gammes on the 360 and soon the ps3

Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Runningflame570

But, well, they are companies with a business plan in mind. Nintendo are doing what they think is right, they took a gamble and it paid off. Honestly as harcore gamers all we can do is wait. Hopefully something decent will come out of nintendos next 3 days, but honestly, I aint holding my breath just yet.

samusarmada

They took a gamble and it paid off for them, but at our expense. I've tried, I've really tried to look at Nintendo fresh every generation and give them the benefit of the doubt but for the last decade they have been failing me and I can't hold my breath in hopes of getting some of their scraps anymore.

Its not something that I am capable or willing to do. Nintendo has changed entirely with the only remnants of their former glory being old IPs which they beat up like a drunken boyfriend.

Knewl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Knewl2
Member since 2004 • 383 Posts

Lol, why do you all takethe Wii to be ruining gaming, rather than just giving another option or path for you to take. The PS3 and 360 are not going away because nintendo release games like Wii Fit, they are just expanding the audience that can take part, they are still releasing games that "hardcore" gamers can play. Sorry to sound harsh but if your post is so well thought out, why dont you look at the bigger picture of gaming as a whole and not just ur needs, your saying casuals cant have games and should gtfo?

Its time people got real and realised nintendo isnt doing anything to harm gaming but quite the opposite. They are keeping prices low, pushing the old retro download service to Sony and Microsoft, giving people an option of games. If you dont like nintendogs, dont play it, if you dont like Wii Fit, dont play it, so hard? There will still be games like MP3, and publishers are tring to hit these markets, its just that games are in development now after seeing the success of the Wii, a good game takes a long time.....

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's not always about the hardware specs, it's about the games. I realized that Nintendo was releasing a less powerful box at a rather high price (given the hardware) but that did not automatically doom the system. The PS2 wasn't particularly powerful, and yet it was able to foster amazing games - titles that rivaled what the more powerful Xbox and GCN were doing.

However, when the games have continued to go in the same direction as the hardware, there is nothing left to be salvaged. I will not be plied by a few baubles thrown in a pile of garbage - Nintendo's plans for releasing a few "more hardcore" games per year, without even being able to promise that they'll finally deliver the online platform I was promised before the Gamecube was released, frankly gets no support from me.
subrosian

You can't compare the Tech. differences of the PS2 to the Xbox/GC Vs. the Difference of the Wii to the PS3/360. That was a mistake right there. That's what led to your post in the first place.

The PS2, when it debuted actually was Particularly powerful, and the proof was that it managed to keep up graphically with the Xbox/GC for the most part. Sure, they had better graphics, but it was marginal.

If you want to make a comparison like that, you need to compare the Xbox/GC to the N64. That's what the Wii is but with a DIFFERENT albeit not necessarily better, control scheme.

I do agree though, they could have went a whole different route with the games, but I think with the DS and games like Nintendog's selling like Hotcakes, they realized their next hardware was going to be A LOT more Casual Friendly (Well, Non-Gamer Friendly actually). The Hardcore market is still in "Pine" mode. We are still PINING for the old Nintendo to sweep us of our collective Gamers Feet (Something a Hardcore Gamer would argue his couch already did :) ).

ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts

Sigh, i miss the old revolution:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ayBMe5AvwhI

I feel awkard a bit after watching that video. Its sad really, nintendo traded a superior machine for a console to appeal to non-gamers. Heck, i would have preffered a gcn 2 with beefed up specs then what we are gettin now. I want to ask you sheep something, has the wii lived up to the revolution nintendo hyped it to be?

And BTW, very well written post. Greatest post ever.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
Well written but...i think your wrong in almost every aspect. Its funny how nintendo is hurting the market the instant it aims at "non gamers" and "casuals" you do realize that the compitition is aiming for the same goal right? why cater to a market that is much smaller like "the supposedly hardcore" when they can target a much bigger audiance. Thats the same reason the ps2 won last gen, they hooked the casuals early on. How can ninty be hurting the market, what there releasing too many "mini-games" please...we all dont expect the system to be a mini game box nor a fitness machine, remember it hasnt even been a year yet. Is nintendo truly the one to say "your wrong" simply because they aim for higher bank? Even if the wii doesnt suit your needs theres always 2 other "much more powerful" systems out there.
reservoir_doggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 reservoir_doggy
[QUOTE="samusarmada"]

Runningflame570

They took a gamble and it paid off for them, but at our expense. I've tried, I've really tried to look at Nintendo fresh every generation and give them the benefit of the doubt but for the last decade they have been failing me and I can't hold my breath in hopes of getting some of their scraps anymore.

Its not something that I am capable or willing to do. Nintendo has changed entirely with the only remnants of their former glory being old IPs which they beat up like a drunken boyfriend.

Definately agree with this. People talk about there brilliant IPs but where is anything new. Every IP they boast about has been redone many times

donaldo1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 donaldo1989
Member since 2005 • 6489 Posts

I understand partly with what u are saying. Especially after playing FF3 for the DS. By nintendo trying to dumb down everygam to make it acessible to everyone they are 4getting the hardcore gamer.

Maybe I took this statement too far but when reggie was talking about mario kart he said something like "now new comers will be able to race equally with experienced racers" if that is the case they would have to remove some vital points in mario kart which actually gave the game some depth.

Also hardcore gamers looking forward to the new franchiase got given wii fit.

After all this I havent actually given up hope, the main reason still being the handheld I mentioned, the DS. I still remember that the DS at this time suffered from a severe lack of games that appeal to hardcore gamers, the only game being a port of mario 64.

But can someone explain to me how metroid has been dumbed down. From what I have seen apart from beam stacking (which actually isnt that much of a deal since it didnt require too much thought to realise that a dark monster is weak against light) everything else has improved actually, especially with the improved lock on feature

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 subrosian
[QUOTE="Natural_Mystic"][QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]let's not forget the true evil here... MICROSOFTfunnymario

Jokes, I hope?

This is about Nintendo - they have been with us for a long time. I do not hold any particular bias towards or against any company - I simply can no longer accept Nintendo's vision, because it is materializing into an awful reality. This isn't about Sony or Microsoft trying to become the entertainment device that controls my living room. Mainly, because I believe they will both fail to do that, as they have in the past, but that's another story for another thread.

Right now, this is about the direction *Nintendo* is going in - and focusing on the faults of Sony or Microsoft takes away from the blatant actions Nintendo is taking right now. I'm tired of it, and I'm done. I'm not swearing loyalty to any other platform, I'm not claiming I'm buying a PS3 or a 360 or anything, I'm simply saying that the future of gaming I enjoy does not lie in Nintendo's $250 box.

As a gamer, looking at the upcoming release charts, I see a great deal of wonderful multiplatform titles (Call of Duty 4 looks particularly impressive... and I look forward to Bioshock) and yet when I look at what Nintendo is doing I see nothing aimed at me, nothing meant to appeal to me.

So please, let's stay on topic, this is about Nintendo's vision, and not about fanboyism.
iwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iwo4life
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts
Good post. Well thought out and I agree with a lot of what you said. I still believe that some of the "Nostalga" games are good to an extent but I don't like the path Nintendo is now going down. I would take teh kiddy games any day of the week over these non games.
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Runningflame570

Lol, why do you all take the Wii to be ruining gaming, rather than just giving another option or path for you to take.

Knewl2

Because I'm fully aware of the repercussions poor quality casual-oriented titles had on the gaming industry and was around personally to see the horrors of the SNES Edutainment games, a kind of horror I had hoped to never see again.

I still hold onto some traditional ideas of what gaming should be and the vast majority of the Wii catalog meets none of these criteria.

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

Try to be a little more concise next time.

Firstly I must say that these cries of 'Nintendo is ruining gaming!' are wholly reactionary and short-sighted, the current 'Blue Ocean' strategy being pursued by Nintendo irrefutably benefits the whole gaming industry in the long-term. That is where most gamers fail, be they ordinary folks like yourself or 'professional' critics and journalists- we fail to see things in the long-term. Never mind the next year, never mind the next five years. We should be looking towards ten years into the future. A vastly expanded audience now means a greater population of 'core' gamers in the future, these people bring new perspectives, ideas and modes of operation to the industry.

Nintendo are not abandoning the 'hardcore' audience, we still have the same traditional franchises such as Metoid, Zelda, Mario and Smash Bros., furthermore these are all within a year or so of launch. Then there are the untapped franchises such as F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Star Fox,Pikmin, Kirby, Animal Crossing, 1080 and Wave Race. Nintendo are not giving up on the hardcore they are simply shifting their focus, they continue to churn out the same quality titles we all expect; there is just a greater emphasis on the non-gamer. These concessions to the non-gamer are disheartening to the hardcore but ultimately necessary for the industry as a whole, perhaps if other developers also aided in this audience expansion then Nintendo would not have to make such monumental leaps alone.

When I hear Reggie stating that Nintendo wants to compete with all forms of leisure entertainment then that is something radical, whether the effects are readily evident to most is another question. We already see in Japan television audiences waning as they shift to Wii, similarly Wii Fit could reduce gym memberships as a cheaper, more fun form of exercise. The Wii and DS have the capacity to drastically alter the public perception of video-games, if that means a greater acceptance of our hobby as something that is a part of everyday life; then I am content. I realise it is frustrating to feel sidelined as a core gamer but so long as you take a long term perspective these upheavals are much less intimidating.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 subrosian
Good post. Well thought out and I agree with a lot of what you said. I still believe that some of the "Nostalga" games are good to an extent but I don't like the path Nintendo is now going down. I would take teh kiddy games any day of the week over these non games.iwo4life

I did that last generation and actually enjoyed it. As far as titles like Animal Crossing and Pikmin, often called kiddy games, they actually were enjoyable, well-made titles that presented challenges, encourage social gaming, and were steps in a direction (online social gaming) I thought Nintendo would take.

This... this is something new altogether. There is *money* to be made in the core gamer, but Nintendo saw the work that had to be done to control the core gaming market, and shirked it. They walked into the non-gaming market and left us, because we are not an easy buy, because we are not as easily impressed. Looking at the YouTube videos Nintendo showcased, you see people who are impressed with the *idea* of a videogame. They've never seen it, and Nintendo bastardized it enough for them to get what we've been going on about.

Unfortunately, they've destroyed a lot of what we love (at least on the Nintendo system) in the process.
Knewl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Knewl2
Member since 2004 • 383 Posts

Alot of developers take years to make great games, alot of them didnt take the Wii serously, it was a gamble after the gamecube, but look at the sales, the games will come, just give them time to be great

bexarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bexarath
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts
So let me see if I can summarize that wall of text: "Nintendo is ruining gaming because they don't make games that I like." Also, great implication that your tastes = taste of all 'hardcore' gamers. Ego much?
inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I couldn't agree more, it's the main reason why the Wii has never grabbed my interests.

Especially the lack of online capabilities.

iwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iwo4life
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

I understand partly with what u are saying. Especially after playing FF3 for the DS. By nintendo trying to dumb down everygam to make it acessible to everyone they are 4getting the hardcore gamer.

Maybe I took this statement too far but when reggie was talking about mario kart he said something like "now new comers will be able to race equally with experienced racers" if that is the case they would have to remove some vital points in mario kart which actually gave the game some depth.

Also hardcore gamers looking forward to the new franchiase got given wii fit.

After all this I havent actually given up hope, the main reason still being the handheld I mentioned, the DS. I still remember that the DS at this time suffered from a severe lack of games that appeal to hardcore gamers, the only game being a port of mario 64.

But can someone explain to me how metroid has been dumbed down. From what I have seen apart from beam stacking (which actually isnt that much of a deal since it didnt require too much thought to realise that a dark monster is weak against light) everything else has improved actually, especially with the improved lock on feature

donaldo1989

Its not even about HARDCORE gamers. Its just gamers in general. They spent more time talking non games and showing random non typical gamers enjoying the wii than they did talking up Mariokart, SMG and MP3. Lame.

Did nintendo forget they make the DS or was it just me?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Developers always developed some games for core gamers. They were never the moneymakers. I don't see the problem yet.
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 funnymario

Firstly I must say that these cries of 'Nintendo is ruining gaming!' are wholly reactionary and short-sighted, the current 'Blue Ocean' strategy being pursued by Nintendo irrefutably benefits the whole gaming industry in the long-term. That is where most gamers fail, be they ordinary folks like yourself or 'professional' critics and journalists- we fail to see things in the long-term. Never mind the next year, never mind the next five years. We should be looking towards ten years into the future. A vastly expanded audience now means a greater population of 'core' gamers in the future, these people bring new perspectives, ideas and modes of operation to the industry.

Nintendo are not abandoning the 'hardcore' audience, we still have the same traditional franchises such as Metoid, Zelda, Mario and Smash Bros., furthermore these are all within a year or so of launch. Then there are the untapped franchises such as F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Star Fox,Pikmin, Kirby, Animal Crossing, 1080 and Wave Race. Nintendo are not giving up on the hardcore they are simply shifting their focus, they continue to churn out the same quality titles we all expect; there is just a greater emphasis on the non-gamer. These concessions to the non-gamer are disheartening to the hardcore but ultimately necessary for the industry as a whole, perhaps if other developers also aided in this audience expansion then Nintendo would not have to make such monumental leaps alone.

When I hear Reggie stating that Nintendo wants to compete with all forms of leisure entertainment then that is something radical, whether the effects are readily evident to most is another question. We already see in Japan television audiences waning as they shift to Wii, similarly Wii Fit could reduce gym memberships as a cheaper, more fun form of exercise. The Wii and DS have the capacity to drastically alter the public perception of video-games, if that means a greater acceptance of our hobby as something that is a part of everyday life; then I am content. I realise it is frustrating to feel sidelined as a core gamer but so long as you take a long term perspective these upheavals are much less intimidating.

Caviglia

Who's going to care in 10 years?? If you're constantly looking ahead, you can never see whats right in front of you. If you don't start looking in the present you're going to trip and *boom* WiiFIT

Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lanfeix
Member since 2006 • 459 Posts
after seeing this E3 i find it hard not to agree with you
reservoir_doggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 reservoir_doggy
Morgan Webb was talking about EA's press conference and the whole thing was about casual gaming because they have seen how much money Nintendo is making by doing this. THey even announced some new titles for the wii that all include minigames!!!Yep this is just the begining.
ganon42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ganon42
Member since 2004 • 1749 Posts
Its sad not seeing zelda, one of my most favourite series leap in graphics but instead get tacked on with a remote controller. I dont see how wii was a revolution. I have still not seen a reason to why the new remote control is better then a regular controller. Wiifit? What kind of crap is this!? What a poor E3 show nintendo had. At least sony and MS were not gloating about getting grandmas to play the wii.
kipknots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kipknots
Member since 2003 • 492 Posts

I have been saying this for some time, and it has been misinterpreted over and over again. I've been called an elitist, biased, a hater, whatever....

Nintendo is hurting gaming.

Frankly, what Nintendo is doing right now is appealing to a market that's not us - the longtime gamer - but a market that is *them* - people who don't like videogames - people who play things like DDR, Guitar Hero, and Jane Fonda workout tapes. They shoved us aside with the Wii - in fact, look at Reggies' comments for the past two years - they *are no longer interested* in catering to us.subrosian

How are Guitar Hero and DDR just catering to non-players? Just look at neogaf for example, a lot of the people are going completely crazy over rockband and that's one of the most hardcore gaming communities on the web.

Also, if they're no longer interested in catering to gamers, why are they putting so much work in their main gaming series? According to Kojima Super Smash Bros Brawl felt finished months ago, yet they're still improving on it. Same for Metroid Prime 3, the devs said that the game could be released months ago and it would have been great, yet Nintendo wants them to improve it even more.

At their press conference, Nintendo kept telling us "you're wrong". Over and over, in fact. They told us what to think. They told us "oh, you're wrong, this is gaming for everyone" - they essentially acted like "hehehe you're stupid, you don't get it." The reality is, they know this isn't gaming for us, they know we don't enjoy these games - but they figure, "hey, if we can tell some Nintendo diehards that we're making gaming *better*, maybe we can drag them along".

Everything they're doing right now is about catering to sales from a lucrative market - a market we've been calling "casuals" - but in retrospect we should have kept calling "non-gamers". Casuals *used to be* a market that pumped their chests for Madden and Halo - what we have here is a new beast entirely.

The Nintendo press conference wasn't aimed at us. Keep in mind that there's mainstream press at the E3 as well. With the good feedback that Nintendo has been getting from this press, it would have been stupid not to aim a conference at them. Also, the main press is mainly interested in the conference. But the gaming press will look at everything at the showfloor as well. And that's where Nintendo is showing some great demos.

For a minute, just concede that Nintendo doesn't care. Why are they harming gaming? Because they control so many nostalgic series. I had to give this up *a long time ago*. As an early Sega fan, I had to accept that my favorite games - such as Sonic the Hedgehog - were no longer the same. I had to come to terms with the parent company Sega losing their minds - Sonic 3D Blast helped a great deal to drive that reality home, and by the time I played Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Adventure 2, it became easier to accept that Sega was going downhill.

Nintendo isn't dying, they were though, they were dying, losing marketshare, and they found this huge new market with the Wii... and unfortunately, much like Sega, they hold our old favorites hostage. So what do we get? Our best games come with concessions - Metroid Prime 3 will be built around "the zapper", goes back to stacked beams, and features basically a "turbo charged" mode -why? All in the interest of making the bastion of Nintendo's "hardcore" catalog still sell to some of the same people who will buy Wii Fitness.

Like I said, if Nintendo wouldn't be interested in gamers anymore, they wouldn't put in as much time on their main games as they're doing. And how are those metroid prime features concessions? It's actually not build for the Zapper (You have to use your left and right hand independently in the game, not possible with that thing) and even if it would I don't see how it would have any effect on how hardcore it is. And beam stacking? It's a feature from Super Metroid, are you telling me that wasn't hardcore? And the hyper-mode? It fits in perfectly with the prime story. Probably something Retro had planned from the beginning. Plus it actually makes the gameplay deeper. You can't use it all the time, so it just adds another decision you have to make during playing.

They are trying to blend the ****c franchises into the Wii Sports / Play / Fitness market

Twilight Princess was one of the easiest Zelda games I've ever played, Super Paper Mario was time-consuming, but not exactly *challenging*, and Super Smash Brawl might not feature online gameplay.

Twilight Princess was easy, but not any easier then Wind Waker. What does Brawl not being online (which is just a rumor) have to do with making the game more casual?

I'm done Nintendo. You do what you want to do, you will never get another dollar from me. Say good-bye to the tens of thousands I've spent on your products over the years. Frankly, it's my finest wish that every other longtime Nintendo fan do the same. Hardcore gamers represent a great deal of software sales - as long as we continue to support their "blended" market - where they make *just enough* of a hardcore spin on ****c franchises to tempt us, they will be able to keep being insanely profitable.

I'm done. I'm sick and tired of having to hold my breath and pray - Sony this year "got it" - they were humble, they showed games, and they said "thanks for being here guys." Nintendo doesn't care. Sonic and Mario standing together in the same game should be enough of a warning sign to longtime gamers - hegehogs and plumbers running down a track together (at the same height, might I add, though Sega keeps changing how tall Sonic is every game, it's getting annoying) is, I believe, one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Nintendo's world has ended, and I'm done with it. Bye, see ya. Time to get a second or third job, because the future of gaming as I enjoy it does not lie in your competively priced "plug-n-play" remote controlled gaming box.

As long as there are games being made for Nintendo platforms that lookfun (like Galaxy, Prime 3 and Brawl) I'll keep playing it. Why would you not? Because you think they're too casual? Face it, something like metroid will never be casual.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 subrosian

Firstly I must say that these cries of 'Nintendo is ruining gaming!' are wholly reactionary and short-sighted, the current 'Blue Ocean' strategy being pursued by Nintendo irrefutably benefits the whole gaming industry in the long-term.

Caviglia

It doesn't benefit what I enjoy about the industry. These "non-gamers" don't suddenly become interested in playing Counterstrike, instead they must always be catered to, at the cost of longtime gamers. Nintendo can only do so much with a franchise, at some point they must say "is that aimed at the old gamer, or the new gamer?" That title cannot do both, the needs of the audiences are different.

I could *care less* how much money Nintendo makes - but I do care when a Metroid title is no longer a Metroid title. I don't care about videogaming becoming the next movie industry - frankly, given how shoddy most mainstream movies are, it's the last thing I'd ever want. If we take a look at the movie industry, "hardcore" movies, films like A Scanner Darkly, Donnie Darko, et cetera have to become cult hits, or die. Every "hardcore" film aimed at the indie audience is given a much smaller budget than the next spiderman, transformers, or batman movie - and then if it fails to get noticed by the indie audience, it dies a horrible death.

That's not what I want hardcore gaming to become. I want Nintendo to grow hardcore gaming. And frankly, Wii Fitness isn't the title that's going to do that.
-
-
And you know what? I don't feel Nintendo is growing the industry that way. I see them taking the cheap buck here - taking the easy money that sits in the pockets of people who have never been targeted for, and will never become the heavy consumers of software that longtime gamers are. Nintendo is going for an easy reap.

The last time a company did that was in the 1980s, a little company known as Atari. They too, thought gaming could be the next movie industry. They too decided to aim their market at people who wanted movie-games, arcade-ports, et cetera. You know what happened? The public grew bored of them, and the entire gaming industry in the United States collapsed. Blue Ocean is nothing more than saying "you can't win by competing against people who are better than you, so don't compete, find a new, easy market".

If the entire videogame industry changed audience every generation - if we never knew who the next system would be named at, the console market would dissapear completely, prices would be higher (no competion means higher prices), and creative hardcore gaming would die. There would be no incentive to create an "out there" hardcore game, because the risks would be too high.

Sorry, I don't buy Nintendo's press releases as facts. What Nintendo is doing here is shoving aside their loyal fans for a quick buck, and it makes me sick.
books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 books83
Member since 2005 • 3733 Posts

It is just not Nintendo who is doing games like Wii Fittness. If you really wan't to think about it blame Sony not Nintendo. Sony started the whole casual freindlly line of games with Singstar and Eye toy games. The only thing Nintendo is doing is improving on what they started. Some Non-games have become blockbusters and we call them games. I'm talking about Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and DDR.

Don't lay this all on the shoulders of Nintendo they are just taking advantage of an opening Sony showed the industry. Yes they are focusing a great deal on casuals but who can blame them. They were getting killed trying to compete in the hardcore market against Microsoft and Sony so they moved their gameplan on something those two companies don't focus on that very often.

donaldo1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 donaldo1989

Its sad not seeing zelda, one of my most favourite series leap in graphics but instead get tacked on with a remote controller. I dont see how wii was a revolution. I have still not seen a reason to why the new remote control is better then a regular controller. Wiifit? What kind of crap is this!? What a poor E3 show nintendo had. At least sony and MS were not gloating about getting grandmas to play the wii.ganon42

dont worry about zelda yet, since zelda tp was a gc port. Im sure there will be another zelda on the wii, but I hope they decide not to dumb it down.

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

Hurting gaming? :lol:

So coming up with a $500+ console and games that are so expensive and risky to make thus they rarely change (fps shooters + xbox360 anyone?) is NOT hurting gaming???

I disagree 100% with everything you wrote.

donaldo1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 donaldo1989
[QUOTE="Caviglia"]

Firstly I must say that these cries of 'Nintendo is ruining gaming!' are wholly reactionary and short-sighted, the current 'Blue Ocean' strategy being pursued by Nintendo irrefutably benefits the whole gaming industry in the long-term.

subrosian

It doesn't benefit what I enjoy about the industry. These "non-gamers" don't suddenly become interested in playing Counterstrike, instead they must always be catered to, at the cost of longtime gamers. Nintendo can only do so much with a franchise, at some point they must say "is that aimed at the old gamer, or the new gamer?" That title cannot do both, the needs of the audiences are different.

I could *care less* how much money Nintendo makes - but I do care when a Metroid title is no longer a Metroid title. I don't care about videogaming becoming the next movie industry - frankly, given how shoddy most mainstream movies are, it's the last thing I'd ever want. If we take a look at the movie industry, "hardcore" movies, films like A Scanner Darkly, Donnie Darko, et cetera have to become cult hits, or die. Every "hardcore" film aimed at the indie audience is given a much smaller budget than the next spiderman, transformers, or batman movie - and then if it fails to get noticed by the indie audience, it dies a horrible death.

That's not what I want hardcore gaming to become. I want Nintendo to grow hardcore gaming. And frankly, Wii Fitness isn't the title that's going to do that.
-
-
And you know what? I don't feel Nintendo is growing the industry that way. I see them taking the cheap buck here - taking the easy money that sits in the pockets of people who have never been targeted for, and will never become the heavy consumers of software that longtime gamers are. Nintendo is going for an easy reap.

The last time a company did that was in the 1980s, a little company known as Atari. They too, thought gaming could be the next movie industry. They too decided to aim their market at people who wanted movie-games, arcade-ports, et cetera. You know what happened? The public grew bored of them, and the entire gaming industry in the United States collapsed. Blue Ocean is nothing more than saying "you can't win by competing against people who are better than you, so don't compete, find a new, easy market".

If the entire videogame industry changed audience every generation - if we never knew who the next system would be named at, the console market would dissapear completely, prices would be higher (no competion means higher prices), and creative hardcore gaming would die. There would be no incentive to create an "out there" hardcore game, because the risks would be too high.

Sorry, I don't buy Nintendo's press releases as facts. What Nintendo is doing here is shoving aside their loyal fans for a quick buck, and it makes me sick.

What is wrong with Metroid?! There must be something I missed because u r worrying me now.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 subrosian
So let me see if I can summarize that wall of text: "Nintendo is ruining gaming because they don't make games that I like." Also, great implication that your tastes = taste of all 'hardcore' gamers. Ego much?bexarath

Take a look at the responses I'm getting here and tell me I'm wrong. The number of gamers who support the direction Nintendo is going in, amongst the longtime gaming audience, is extremely small. The only reactions I'm getting that say "you're wrong" are from people trying to justify why Nintendo is doing this from the "business perspective".

I do not see *a single* response here saying "I prefer Wii Fitness, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Warioware, and Mario Paryt 8 to Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Star Fox 64".
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 funnymario

Hurting gaming? :lol:

So coming up with a $500+ console and games that are so expensive and risky to make thus they rarely change (fps shooters + xbox360 anyone?) is NOT hurting gaming???

Gangans

Apparently not as much as aerobics simulations.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 subrosian

[QUOTE="ganon42"]Its sad not seeing zelda, one of my most favourite series leap in graphics but instead get tacked on with a remote controller. I dont see how wii was a revolution. I have still not seen a reason to why the new remote control is better then a regular controller. Wiifit? What kind of crap is this!? What a poor E3 show nintendo had. At least sony and MS were not gloating about getting grandmas to play the wii.donaldo1989

dont worry about zelda yet, since zelda tp was a gc port. Im sure there will be another zelda on the wii, but I hope they decide not to dumb it down.

Nintendo has already said that Twilight Princess would be the last Zelda of its kind. The touch screen controls on the upcoming Phantom Hourglass are *just the beginning* of what they plan to do. The next Zelda game on the Wii is not going to be aimed at the same audience that was playing Ocarina of Time.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Nintendo may not do Anything at all to cater to hardcore gamers, and it wouldn't hurt us one bit. I honestly don't see the problem.
As there become more and more people capable and willing to get involved with games, the amount of core gamers will rise, and the amount of developers and gaming talent too.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
[QUOTE="Caviglia"]

funnymario

Who's going to care in 10 years?? If you're constantly looking ahead, you can never see whats right in front of you. If you don't start looking in the present you're going to trip and *boom* WiiFIT

Because in 10 years a significant proportion of the current influx of non-gamers will have matured into core gamers creating a bigger demand for more 'hardcore' games in addition to new ideas and perspectives that will shape these games. Nintendo's moves at present have the short-term aim of expanding the audience (and gaining a whole lot of profit) but the real interest lies in the outcome a decade or so down the line. Of course you must also examine the tactical actions of Nintendo but too many people here are failing to see the forest for the trees. I acknowledge that in the short-term experiencedcore gamers, like myself, are going to feel disillusioned at the tectonic shifts in our hobby; I am sure many will give up on Nintendo and so be it. However they will be back in ten years time.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 subrosian

-cut because there are no spaces-

kipknots

Did you type your response on the Wii using Opera, or are you just using Opera in general? Edit your response in HTML please, unforunately Opera does not work properly with Gamespot, and you will lose all the spacing sometimes in your posts.
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 funnymario
Nintendo may not do Anything at all to cater to hardcore gamers, and it wouldn't hurt us one bit. I honestly don't see the problem.
As there become more and more people capable and willing to get involved with games, the amount of core gamers will rise, and the amount of developers and gaming talent too.
KungfuKitten
But Nintendo won't stop. They'll keep fishing for a new crowd of people to cater to. Even if they don't exist anymore. Soon, core gamers will be stock-piled waiting for something good. But Nintendo isn't done making money. And soon, the silo Nintendo has been keeping us in will burst and gaming as we know it will crumble...