God of War vs Uncharted. Which do you find better?

Edited 9 months, 5 days ago

Poll: God of War vs Uncharted. Which do you find better? (83 votes)

God of War 43%
Uncharted 57%

A clash between the PS2 and PS3's biggest action game IP's. Which one do you find better?

Personally, i like both, but GOW was for me much better. While UC had a good story and the set piece design was excellent, the core gameplay never got me. GOW's hack & slash gameplay on the other hand was really fun (though, too easy at times), the lore and setting allowed for awesome set piece itself, various enemies and epic bosses, and awesome world.

#1 Posted by foxhound_fox (90605 posts) -

God of War actually had pretty solid gameplay, despite being highly derivative. Uncharted was just average across the board.

#2 Posted by parkurtommo (27655 posts) -

I never bothered with God Of War, so I'm completely biased and chose Uncharted.

#3 Posted by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (382 posts) -

If you like Mythology then God of War it is. Play all God of War games but not Ascension and those games are solid gameplay for a hack-N-slash. Uncharted games are good but when it comes to these badass PS exclusive, God of War it is. No doubt on my mind that Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will be the grand entry for PS4 and from the great Naughty Gods.

Voted: God of War.

#4 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7828 posts) -

I went with Uncharted, probably because I am a sucker for production values. God of War is a good game, but it just isn't on the same level as other popular beat 'em ups. Uncharted isn't quite as good as Gears, but the disparity isn't as big as say Ninja Gaiden Black vs God of War.

#5 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

God of War is more fun imo, but both are great franchises.

#6 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16061 posts) -

Uncharted, if only for uc2.

#7 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17335 posts) -

I'm not into mythology. I love to travel though. So, Uncharted for me.

#8 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26863 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I went with Uncharted, probably because I am a sucker for production values. God of War is a good game, but it just isn't on the same level as other popular beat 'em ups. Uncharted isn't quite as good as Gears, but the disparity isn't as big as say Ninja Gaiden Black vs God of War.

I personally think uncharted beats gears in every category well unless you count gore as a category. It also helps that uncharted had characters I liked being around while gears had characters in which I could care less about.

On topic uncharted over GOW.Though seems a bit odd to compare.

#9 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (4854 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

So you don't want to travel to the depths of the underworld? :P

#10 Posted by Netret0120 (2870 posts) -

God Of war

Both were fantastic but the way GOW1 made me feel like i'm on a rollercoaster ride from start to finish does it for me. Fighting Ares at the end made me hulk out so bad!

#11 Edited by Telekill (5063 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first two GoW games but got board with the series after the third. Uncharted on the other hand became my favorite series. I grew up on Indiana Jones which helped fuel the fun I have with the series.

#12 Posted by ni6htmare01 (1104 posts) -

I love them both, Uncharted 2 and GOW 3 were some of the best games from last gen!

#14 Posted by Seabas989 (10956 posts) -

I was able to complete UC3 but GOW3 got boring.

I'd also say I enjoyed UC2 more the GOW2 even though I liked them both.

Then again UC1 really was garbage.

#15 Posted by donalbane (16376 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

God of War actually had pretty solid gameplay, despite being highly derivative. Uncharted was just average across the board.

#16 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7828 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I personally think uncharted beats gears in every category well unless you count gore as a category. It also helps that uncharted had characters I liked being around while gears had characters in which I could care less about.

On topic uncharted over GOW.Though seems a bit odd to compare.

I agree that Uncharted has the better story, characters, and set pieces. Gears has the better shooting mechanics, though. Plus the main gun doubles as a chainsaw. I can see how someone would prefer Uncharted, but I prefer Gears by a slight margin.

#17 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

Neither but if i would be forced to play one it will be uncharted.

cinematic interactive movie vs button smasher.

#18 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10944 posts) -

God of War 3 was awesome....Uncharted 3 sucked so so bad

I will pretend Ascension never happened and go with God of War

#19 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

Neither but if i would be forced to play one it will be uncharted.

cinematic interactive movie vs button smasher.

vs mashing the left button on your mouse playing shooters

#20 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10817 posts) -
  • Played every God of War games and all are very good (save for Ascension which is terrible)
  • Only have played Uncharted 2. I could tell it was a good and very well made game, but I dislike the platforming very much.

I enjoy Action games very much and dislike Platformers very much - so I choose God of War.

#21 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6998 posts) -

That's a tough one... I love both.

#22 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Exploring, finding new areas, secret, shooting while moving fast...

#23 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

So you don't do any of those in GoW or Uncharted...right

#24 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

uncharted is cover based shooter

#25 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

uncharted is cover based shooter

But you don't explore,find new areas,secrets or shoot around.

#26 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17335 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

So you don't want to travel to the depths of the underworld? :P

Travel to where the sun don't shine? Nah. ;)

#27 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

Hard to say. Granted, Uncharted had a great sequel, and God of War had shit sequels.

#28 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1132 posts) -

The first GoW is still a classic. Great mix of action, puzzles, and boss battles. I still wonder why so many people preferred the sequel.

The first Uncharted is pretty damn good, but I don't have nearly as fond memories of it as I do GoW.

#29 Edited by freedomfreak (43093 posts) -

Fuck. That's tough.

The worst Uncharted games aren't as bad as the worst GoW games, but I still don't know.

#30 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (4854 posts) -

@UnbiasedPoster said:

The first GoW is still a classic. Great mix of action, puzzles, and boss battles. I still wonder why so many people preferred the sequel.

The first Uncharted is pretty damn good, but I don't have nearly as fond memories of it as I do GoW.

I found the second game to the best in both series honestly. But as much as i prefered the bosses in GOW2, sticking the blades in Hydras face and slamming it to teh side of the boat was so awesome.

#31 Posted by jg4xchamp (50053 posts) -

Uncharted 2>the boring and shallow gameplay of the God of War franchise.

#32 Edited by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Uncharted 2>the boring and shallow gameplay of the God of War franchise.

:( ....

#33 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28281 posts) -

Comparing the best of both franchises: God of War 2 vs. Uncharted 2.

Uncharted.

#34 Posted by cainetao11 (19288 posts) -

I couldnt decide. I like both. I recognize Uncharted 3 and GoWA were the weakest in their respective series, but they werent the dregs of gaming like some profess.

#36 Posted by silversix_ (15910 posts) -

tired of both

#37 Edited by KeyPace (22 posts) -

I refuse to vote !!!

BOTH God of War and Uncharted are amazing IPs and thats what we should leave it at.

BOTH playstation exclusives revolutionized their respective genres when they came out

in the case of Uncharted, Uncharted 2 was the game that Naughty Dog revolutionized the TPS genre with - verticality / traversal smoothly interwoven with gunplay. Gameplay and epic gun battles that took place on epic set pieces.

When Uncharted 2 came out NOTHING ELSE PLAYED LIKE IT.

All the Uncharted copy cats since have failed to capture a fraction of the same magic too.

Even today Uncharted 2 and 3 remain some of the best pure TPS SHOOTERS.

Go play a static and barebones TPS like Gears of War where all you do is pop and shoot, to really appreciate just how much more of a mobile dynamic charming TPS Uncharted is

In Uncharted you can run in and out of cover at will, climb and go vertical, shoot from the high grounds, run and gun or run and meele etc. In no other pure TPS can you do everything like that as freely

And of course there is the cinematic flair and playable set piece action in Uncharted that pushes it even further above all the plain TPS games

Uncharted is still in a league of its own

Both Uncharted and God of War have offered experiences you cant get any where on an xbox

BOTH God of War and Uncharted blow away any Microsoft exclusives

Interesting enough, the only series that has topped Uncharted is Last of Us...and Last of Us was made by Naughty Dog too.

What Naughty Dog did with the Last of Us is revolutionize the survival horror genre instead.

Dynamic action stealth/brutal intense multi-faceted combat with real time crafting backed by FUN item resource management gameplay. Nothing else plays like The Last of Us

Last of Us has amazaballs gameplay. Combat was so brutal, intense, and dynamic. You legit felt like a survivor living to fight another day after each superbly designed open sandbox encounter. Last of Us has the BEST combat of any game ever period.

Naughty Dog are simply the greatest TPS gameplay innovators of our time.

On top of that, Naughty Dog with the Last of Us managed to bridge together amazing gameplay with an amazing story like no other game or developer has even come close to doing. The gameplay and story in Last of Us only serve each other to make each other whole

That puts Last of Us in a god tier status. Last of Us is my greatest game of all time. Last of Us is widely considered the greatest game of all time by many in fact!

Sorry to go off topic there, but this thread just reminded me how Playstation exclusives are simply the BEST of the best. So glad I have a PS4 to experience more of them!

And Naughty Dog is the grestest developer in gaming bar none. Reason enough to always stay on team Playstation baby!

Another thing, im very glad Sony lets Naughty Dog do their thing, lets them make the games they want to make, how they want to make them, and gives them all the time they need to do it all.

Which brings me to this point.

Part of the reason why I think Playstation exclusives are so great is because Sony gives their developers all the time, money, support and freedom to make the games they want to make as best at they can

VIVA Sony. VIVA Playstation! PS4 ftw all day every day!

#38 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
@keypace said:
BOTH playstation exclusives revolutionized their respective genres when they came out

I have no idea how you can say this with a straight face. They did nothing new. They were polished entries in genres that already existed; God of War as part of the hack-and-slash action genre (a la Devil May Cry) and Uncharted being a plain ol' third-person action/cover-based shooter game.

There was nothing new or revolutionary about them. They were extremely polished and had strong production values, to be sure, but they also played things extremely safe, choosing to use tried-and-true mechanics and conventions rather than forging new ground.

Unless you can explain what they did that was "revolutionary," apart from God of War's copious quick-time events and Uncharted 1's awful sixaxis grenade controls.

#39 Posted by Vatusus (5128 posts) -

I'm more of a GoW fan myself. I greatly enjoy both though

#40 Posted by lostrib (42193 posts) -

@keypace said:

I refuse to vote !!!

BOTH God of War and Uncharted are amazing IPs and thats what we should leave it at.

in the case of Uncharted, Uncharted 2 was the game that Naughty Dog revolutionized the TPS genre with - verticality / traversal smoothly interwoven with gunplay. Gameplay and epic gun battles that took place on epic set pieces.

When Uncharted 2 came out NOTHING ELSE PLAYED LIKE IT.

All the Uncharted copy cats since have failed to capture a fraction of the same magic too.

Even today Uncharted 2 and 3 remain some of the best pure TPS SHOOTERS.

Go play a static and barebones TPS like Gears of War where all you do is pop and shoot, to really appreciate just how much more of a mobile dynamic charming TPS Uncharted is

In Uncharted you can run in and out of cover at will, climb and go vertical, shoot from the high grounds, run and gun or run and meele etc. In no other pure TPS can you do everything like that as freely

And of course there is the cinematic flair and playable set piece action in Uncharted that pushes it even further above all the plain TPS games

Uncharted is still in a league of its own

Both Uncharted and God of War have offered experiences you cant get any where on an xbox

BOTH God of War and Uncharted blow away any Microsoft exclusives

Interesting enough, the only series that has topped Uncharted is Last of Us...and Last of Us was made by Naughty Dog too.

What Naughty Dog did with the Last of Us is revolutionize the survival horror genre instead.

Dynamic action stealth/brutal intense multi-faceted combat with real time crafting backed by FUN item resource management gameplay. Nothing else plays like The Last of Us

Last of Us has amazaballs gameplay. So brutal, intense, and dynamic. Last of Us has the BEST combat of any game ever!

Naughty Dog are simply the greatest TPS gameplay innovators of our time.

On top of that, Naughty Dog with the Last of Us manage to bridge together amazing gameplay with amazing story like no other game has come close to doing. The gameplay and story in Last of Us only serve each other to make each other whole

That puts Last of Us is a god tier status. Last of Us is my greatest game of all time. Many consider Last of Us their greatest game of all time too

Sorry to go off topic but this thread just reminded me how Playstation exclusives are simply the BEST of the best. So glad I have a PS4 to experience more of them!

And Naughty Dog is the grestest developer in gaming bar none. Reason enough to always stay on team Playstation baby!

Another thing, im very glad Sony lets Naughty Dog do their thing, lets them make the games they want to make, how they want to make them, and gives them all the time they need to do it.

Which brings me to this point.

Part of the reason why I think Playstation exclusives are so great is because Sony gives their developers all the time, money, support and freedom to make the games they want to make as best at they can

VIVA Sony. VIVA Playstation! PS4 ftw!

Oh, it's brofists.

No one is going to read all that

#42 Posted by m3dude1 (1574 posts) -

impossible choice

#43 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17505 posts) -

I don't like either, but I can at least stand to play through an Uncharted campaign once. GoW just bores the shit out of me.

#44 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2452 posts) -

two very very different games that i like for different reasons

no vote

#46 Posted by indigenous_euphoria (188 posts) -

By far God of War. Uncharted sucks

#47 Edited by blamix99 (2560 posts) -

both are great, can't pick one

#48 Edited by onewiththegame (4264 posts) -

Uncharted easy I always found GOW's gameplay very slow and shallow compared to NG

#49 Edited by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Uncharted is a tiny bit more appealing

#50 Posted by mgools (996 posts) -

They are both great, but vastly different games. Too hard to compare. If I had to choose it would be Uncharted as it is a much deeper game, and my thumbs don't hurt as much after I play it :)