God of War has a 94 MC and a 9.1 user score after 11,000 reviews - is it the best game of this gen?

• 106 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45601 Posts

God of War, without a doubt, is one of the best games released this gen. But is it the very best? The game currently sits on metacritic with a 94 overall score after 118 critics, and a 9.1 user score after 11,000 reviews. Mind you, it's also an exclusive.. Usually exclusives get hated on, but this game manages to keep its amazing score. So I ask you, SW? Is God of War the best game of this gen?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16060 Posts

Nintendo fanboys incoming.

P.S - GOW won more goty than BOTW 🤣🤣

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Not the best imo but I agree with the high scores. The two filler worlds are not good and the narrative really falls apart during an important part of Atreus story. Any game has stuff that people might be at odds with, with GoW those two really bothered me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

It legit depresses me to see this mediocre game has a higher score than games like Dark Souls

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Umm , of course it’s the greatest game this gen, followed by HZD.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46718 Posts

I gotta say I was positively surprised by this game. It retained the God of War gameplay I loved while being over the shoulder.

All the gameplay I had seen looked bad, but playing the game changed my mind.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Yes. And I think Gamespot should've of named it GOTY over RDR 2 and given it a 10 imo.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59482 Posts

It's subjective.

You know?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44709 Posts

Personally I think Breath of the Wild is the best game this gen. Closely followed by games like Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, and Monster Hunter World.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70664 Posts

Nope. I enjoyed Horizon more

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34811 Posts

Too cinematic for my taste.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

For some yes, for others no. That though is a difficult thing for some to grasp.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@vfighter: A statement from you I can agree with. Probably because it sounds like me. 😈

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50716 Posts

Tough choice. That, breath, horizon, or souls

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8485 Posts

Not even the best PS4 game this gen, that goes to Bloodborne.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7720 Posts

It's a great game, 2nd best sony exclusive of the gen after bloodborne

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

@SolidGame_basic DMC 5 says hi.

@Nike_Air said:

Yes. And I think Gamespot should've of named it GOTY over RDR 2 and given it a 10 imo.

Loading Video...

This is why RDR2 was GOTY.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

It's trash. Rather play the old games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic

@djoffer said:

Great game, but not the best imo.. would place both The Witcher 3 and divinity 2 above it, but definitely best exclusive on PlayStation. Also BOTW has 97 metacritic fyi...

More critics played God of War, and it also a higher user rating.

@vfighter said:

For some yes, for others no. That though is a difficult thing for some to grasp.

Well yea, that's obvious.. the question is, do you think it is. Otherwise there is no point to this forum.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pedro

These discussion always boils down to "My opinion of game A being the best is legit because other opinions agree." LOL

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic said:
@djoffer said:

So wait, are you telling me the very same rating platform that notoriously allows review-bombs to happen on games, is now a valuable metric? When you play with numbers too much instead of just enjoying a damn game, you'll begin to lose your own sanity.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@djoffer said:

So wait, are you telling me the very same rating platform that notoriously allows review-bombs to happen on games, is now a valuable metric? When you play with numbers too much instead of just enjoying a damn game, you'll begin to lose your own sanity.

Surely if the haters hated the game, they would've bombed it? It's an exclusive after all.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@djoffer said:

Surely if the haters hated the game, they would've bombed it? It's an exclusive after all.

Bullshit. Review-bombers bomb games they have not even played.

Point being: Metacritic is a proven load of shit, and anyone that posts links there to make a point over their own subjectivity, lost the argument already.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan: so I take it that you're not a fan of the game?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jaydan

@SolidGame_basic said:

God of War? The game itself is perfectly fine, albeit not the best PS4 game this gen in my opinion. It does not spare the fact a lot of you here are clamoring to Metashit scores. Metashit only matters when it sides with your own bias.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

Here is a little nugget of perspective, Minecraft averages 90 million MONTHLY players. Fortnite a game released in 2017 had monthly players hitting 78 million with 8.3 million concurrent. So, when you placing bets on a mere 11,000 user reviews for one game and ignoring what the bulk of players are actually "enjoying" things look dramatically different.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jaydan

@Pedro said:

Here is a little nugget of perspective, Minecraft averages 90 million MONTHLY players. Fortnite a game released in 2017 had monthly players hitting 78 million with 8.3 million concurrent. So, when you placing bets on a mere 11,000 user reviews for one game and ignoring what the bulk of players are actually "enjoying" things look dramatically different.

Sales only matter to the corporate big-wigs, so why do the consumers care so much when they have no effect on them?

Corporate wigs never care about quality, they only care about making money.

Justin Bieber's managers did not care that he was a piece of shit and so was his music, he made them money.

Making money does not mean quality. It means corporations can laugh over how they're taking your money.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#29 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

Well if the reviewers played BotW first, then the MC would be 20 points less!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

God of War? The game itself is perfectly fine, albeit not the best PS4 game this gen in my opinion. It does not spare the fact a lot of you here are clamoring to Metashit scores. Metashit only matters when it sides with your own bias.

Good for you. I wouldn't disregard the millions of people who bought it, and the rave reviews and GOTY awards it's received. But that's the question - does SW think it's the best of this gen? You clearly don't think so, and that's totally fine.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14423 Posts

Forza horizon 4, Rdr 2, zelda breath of the wild, the Witcher 3 all disagree.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@jaydan said:

Sales only matter to the corporate big-wigs, so why do the consumers care so much when they have no effect on them?

Justin Bieber's managers did not care that he was a piece of shit and so was his music, he made them money.

Making money does not mean quality. It means corporations can laugh over how they're taking your money.

I wasn't discussing sales. I was stating what a large chunk of gamers play. One of the two games mentioned is a free to play. It seems to me that you missed the overall point.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jaydan

@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

I wasn't discussing sales. I was stating what a large chunk of gamers play. One of the two games mentioned is a free to play. It seems to me that you missed the overall point.

I might have, my bad. But I see what you mean now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@jaydan: No stress. I just find it odd that the OP mentions the number of user reviews as a metric of worth and if that same logic was applied to other games this game would be so far down the totem pole.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jaydan

@Pedro said:

@jaydan: No stress. I just find it odd that the OP mentions the number of user reviews as a metric of worth and if that same logic was applied to other games this game would be so far down the totem pole.

We both question the same thing but for different reasons.

My question is why use Metacritic when it is long-proven to be unstable - why use a rating site that ALLOWS smear campaigns against or for games in the form of review-bombing?

Of course we can make our own threads posting links to Metacritic as long as it suits our own bias, and more people will say how shit the aggregator actually is.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

My question is why use Metacritic when it is long-proven to be unstable - why use a rating site that ALLOWS smear campaigns against or for games in the form of review-bombing?

Of course we can make our own threads posting links to Metacritic as long as it suits our own bias, and more people will say how shit the aggregator actually is.

So if millions of people like the Mona Lisa, but you don't - that's the same as no one liking it or knowing it existed?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#38 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11513 Posts

nah its a quality game, but quite a few I enjoyed a lot more this gen.

Witcher 3/RDR2 are my personal favorites but there are others i'd place above GoW as well

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

So if millions of people like the Mona Lisa, but you don't - that's the same as no one liking it or knowing it existed?

If over 80 -240million more people like and play PUBG, Fortnite and Minecraft does that mean this God of War cannot be the best game this gen?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

single player? maybe.

zelda breath of the wild ive put 80 hours in. my most played single player game this gen.

splatoon 2 - 600 hours

paladins - 500 hours

overwatch 100 hours

so umm... not my fav game this gen. but arguably the best single player game.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaydan

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

The main reason why the Mona Lisa is as famous as it is: there was a point in time it got stolen and it was missing from the world. This happened back in 1911. It built the notoriety it has today because it was missing before it ultimately got returned to the Louvre. Did you know that bit of history?

People don't even know why they love the Mona Lisa, they just love it because it is famous. If you are in Paris, it just is one of those landmarks everyone has to see for the sake of seeing it. Most people don't realize how tiny the painting actually is, and to see it today you have to stand across a crowded room full of people trying to squint your eyes past the bullet-proof glass.

In my opinion, and as an avid art history fan, I think it is a highly overrated painting. The way it's presented today is what you would call a "tourist trap" destination.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that one.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

If over 80 -240million more people like and play PUBG, Fortnite and Minecraft does that mean this God of War cannot be the best game this gen?

Up to you if you think that. I think God of War is a legit best gen contender. I've played the game and enjoyed it. It's pretty hard to make a game everyone likes. The fact that it was well received in the industry is a testament to that. In no way am I suggesting that if a game gets universal praise that I must like it. But because it was well received, the question should be asked - is it the best this gen? Just like all works of business and art these types of things get asked.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2978 Posts

It is subjective, but I think that GOW is far from the best game this generation. Persona 5, Far Cry 5 and Witcher 3 are far superior.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic: I am directly challenging the use of scores and user reviews to justify your preference. You can freely say that you think its the best but you decided to include numbers to back your claim. I am simply demonstrating that if you are going down that route, this game would fail to compete with several other games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56560 Posts

I hate it when gamers love using Metacritic BS to tell anyone this is the best game since slice of bread and using Metacritic doesn't tell the whole story of the game itself. I have played good/bad & the ugly games when Metacritic has nothing to do with my choosing.

With that said, God of War 4 was indeed my favorite PS4 game but NOT my personal favorite that is. Horizon: Zero Dawn is still by far the best PS4 exclusive game I enjoy in a very long time, it was a new IP made by Guerrilla Games. Bloodborne was alright but not the system seller for me, Horizon takes the cake here in my opinion.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@davillain-: Very rarely I coalesce with your game preferences.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56560 Posts

@Pedro said:

@davillain-: Very rarely I coalesce with your game preferences.

Anyone is free to question my gaming preference as I always leave them down in my sig below the moment I installed a game into my system of choice. Gaming is my life long passion after all ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Nah I'd pick RDR2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Hollow Knight etc over it.

I platinumed GOW and have no desire to play it again.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@davillain-: Well in this case we are on the same page. However, I have sigs disabled. And gaming is also a life long passion of mine. :)

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#50  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Must be one of the most overrated movie... i mean games of all time. Some time ago some guy on YT made vid... GoW 2018 was the best GoW. The comments were full of hell no, old GoW was better, specially II. So i dont know how it could get overrated so much. Critics i understand can overrate... yet the user score over 9 is shocking.

Take other overrated games like Red Dead 2 or MGSV. 8.1 and 8.2 user scores, compared to their 97 and 93 metascore.