Ghosts of Tsushima will be given "Unsupported" rating on Steam Deck because well, Sony....

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22885 Posts

Greetings!

I was thinking of continuing my practice of buying Sony games on PC that I'd like to support, as to encourage them putting more games on PC. However, When it comes to Ghost of Tsushima, Sony has made it mandate to sign into psn for the multi-player component, rendering this portion of the game unplayable on any Linux based device....

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/ghost-of-tsushima-steam-deck-unsupported

Single player mode has been optimized for deck, thankfully, but due to the requirement to sign into this worthless psn service I parted with years ago, Deck players won't be experiencing multi player modes. Bummer....

Officially Ghosts of Tsushima will be granted an "Unsupported" rating on deck, because a chunk of the game is unplayable. Double bummer.

Those of you thinking of purchasing Got on the popular handheld PC, steam deck.... Are you disuaded by this?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts

Well i'll be playing it on Linux on my Desktop. So the work done to support Steam deck extends to that too.

But am i disuaded? No. On the Linux side we still need to take what we can get. The fact Sony is testing against Proton means they get a nod of approval for me. It's more than many other companies do so credit where it's due.

It also helps that I have absolutely no interest in MP anyway. I was only ever going to play the SP portion of the game.

As for the PSN stuff. It looks like it may just be a case of Proton needing some work to get that running and a future update may fix it.

More widely speaking: MP is becoming a bigger thorn on the Linux side due to kernel level Anti-Cheat becoming more prevelant. Recently EA have been adding their own to even some of their older games. So MP games that used to work have now stopped working. It's a shame for those that wanted to play them. Volorent, I think, is also toast too for the same reason.

I don't think this is the issue with GOT though. It's just whatever systems PSN is using on Windows to work are either not implemented or buggy on proton....I think. Just speculation on my part.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7043 Posts

Lol... maybe Sony is figuring out the move to PC will do nothing but make make them a third party publisher. PC gamers have no interest in their platform.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70256 Posts

@silentchief said:

Lol... maybe Sony is figuring out the move to PC will do nothing but make make them a third party publisher. PC gamers have no interest in their platform.

They are already a third party publisher and developer.🤷🏽‍♂️

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@osan0 said:

Well i'll be playing it on Linux on my Desktop. So the work done to support Steam deck extends to that too.

But am i disuaded? No. On the Linux side we still need to take what we can get. The fact Sony is testing against Proton means they get a nod of approval for me. It's more than many other companies do so credit where it's due.

It also helps that I have absolutely no interest in MP anyway. I was only ever going to play the SP portion of the game.

As for the PSN stuff. It looks like it may just be a case of Proton needing some work to get that running and a future update may fix it.

More widely speaking: MP is becoming a bigger thorn on the Linux side due to kernel level Anti-Cheat becoming more prevelant. Recently EA have been adding their own to even some of their older games. So MP games that used to work have now stopped working. It's a shame for those that wanted to play them. Volorent, I think, is also toast too for the same reason.

I don't think this is the issue with GOT though. It's just whatever systems PSN is using on Windows to work are either not implemented or buggy on proton....I think. Just speculation on my part.

I will likely only play sp as well... Especially now! Lol. Would be nice to have things working a fluid though. I hope they fix. Always feel a little taken paying good money for half a game.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

They are more then that as they have a successful platform. That will change if they do a day and date shift to PC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@silentchief said:

They are more then that as they have a successful platform. That will change if they do a day and date shift to PC.

Good on you for accepting the fact that they are a third party developer and publisher. 🙃

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

Good on you for accepting the fact that they are a third party developer and publisher. 🙃

At this rate that's all they will be 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@silentchief: 🤷🏽‍♂️ I play games.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11698 Posts

It's currently the global top seller on Steam, I don't envision many are dissuaded from purchase by this news.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

Their fans demand games that cost too much to make... Cinematic, graphic games with less gameplay substance that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make.... You get to choose to either reduce demands on nothing burger graphics and embrace the need to advance gameplay so to cut game dev costs or go third party.... Which?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Silentchief

@TheEroica said:
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

Their fans demand games that cost too much to make... Cinematic, graphic games with less gameplay substance that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make.... You get to choose to either reduce demands on nothing burger graphics and embrace the need to advance gameplay so to cut game dev costs or go third party.... Which?

They could make those games for less and be even more successful. Stop hiring 30 writers and DEI consulting firms. Cut the bloat and they would be fine.

Live service game are not advancing gameplay.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Silentchief
@Pedro said:

@silentchief: 🤷🏽‍♂️ I play games.

Well depending on their priorities it will influence the types of games they want to make. The push for multiplatform means more live service and they're are few games like that, that I enjoy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@silentchief said:

Well depending on their priorities it will influence the types of games they want to make. The push for multiplatform means more live service and they're are few games like that, that I enjoy.

I am not sure how you are drawing that conclusion. Games benefit from being more accessible not less. So, the games you enjoy have a greater chance of being made because of multiplatform support.🤷🏽‍♂️

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@osan0 said:

I will likely only play sp as well... Especially now! Lol. Would be nice to have things working a fluid though. I hope they fix. Always feel a little taken paying good money for half a game.

Was the MP a big component for it or more a tacked on after thought? I haven't played the game at all so I have no idea.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEroica  Moderator

@osan0 said:
@TheEroica said:
@osan0 said:

Was the MP a big component for it or more a tacked on after thought? I haven't played the game at all so I have no idea.

Not sure actually..... I usually find myself trying mp a few times and if it feels like something fun I'd stick around a bit... I've never prioritized mp in a game though... Well, helldivers, but that's about it.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silentchief
@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

I am not sure how you are drawing that conclusion. Games benefit from being more accessible not less. So, the games you enjoy have a greater chance of being made because of multiplatform support.🤷🏽‍♂️

So it's just a coincidence that as Sony has made PC a priority we haven't had a singleplayer game announced in 3 years? I said this would happen in 2021 and I was right. But your saying this is just a coincidence? 🤣🤣😐

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8329 Posts

@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

So it's just a coincidence that as Sony has made PC a priority we haven't had a singleplayer game announced in 3 years? I said this would happen in 2021 and I was right. But your saying this is just a coincidence? 🤣🤣😐

are you ignoring that former heads of PlayStation have said that current AAA development growth is unsustainable?..

maybe, just maybe, they are expanding to PC because of that unsustainability..

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56361 Posts

@fedor said:

It's currently the global top seller on Steam, I don't envision many are dissuaded from purchase by this news.

Well the biggest show Shogun has ended may have spark the interest for GoT.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@silentchief said:

For small moment I thought you were critically thinking, but I was wrong. Carry on.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

For small moment I thought you were critically thinking, but I was wrong. Carry on.

And for a moment I thought you were actually trying to discuss something.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silentchief
@davillain said:
@fedor said:

Well the biggest show Shogun has ended may have spark the interest for GoT.

Looks like they are in fact going to do a Season 2 just so you know.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Silentchief
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

are you ignoring that former heads of PlayStation have said that current AAA development growth is unsustainable?..

When you hire 30 writers and DEI consulting firms yes it probably is. You could cut the bloat and be more successful with less.

Expanding all games to PC Day and date will kill their brand just as it did for Xbox. Do you think if Nintendo announced all Switch 2 games would release day one on Steam deck Nintendo would be just fine? " BeCuSe soMe pEoPle wiLL juSt PLaY CoNsOles"

Really?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:

When you hire 30 writers and DEI consulting firms yes it probably is. You could cut the bloat and be more successful with less.

Expanding all games to PC Day and date will kill their brand just as it did for Xbox. Do you think if Nintendo announced all Switch 2 games would release day one on Steam deck Nintendo would be just fine? " BeCuSe soMe pEoPle wiLL juSt PLaY CoNsOles"

Really?

the "dead" Xbox brand just had a 62% increase in Xbox content/services, a 51% increase in overall Xbox gaming revenue, has more monthly-active-users than both PlayStation and Nintendo, generates more gaming revenue than Nintendo, and is now only 1.55 Billion behind PlayStation in gaming revenue..

these are the facts that apparently don't care about your feelings..

yet your feelings continue to tell you that "Xbox is dying" when the reality simply doesn't support your fanboy emotions..

as far as SteamDeck and the Switch, yes, the Switch would be just fine.. it has a much cheaper pricepoint and Nintendo would sell boatloads more software on PC.. but Nintendo is Nintendo.. they can afford to do things differently because they have timeless IP, a fanbase that will support nearly anything they do, and games that already don't fall victim to the current AAA gaming pitfalls..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@Antwan3K said:

the "dead" Xbox brand just had a 62% increase in Xbox content/services, a 51% increase in overall Xbox gaming revenue, has more monthly-active-users than both PlayStation and Nintendo, generates more gaming revenue than Nintendo, and is now only 1.55 Billion behind PlayStation in gaming revenue..

yet your feelings continue to tell you that "Xbox is dying" when the reality simply doesn't support your fanboy emotions..

as far as SteamDeck and the Switch, yes, the Switch would be just fine.. it has a much cheaper pricepoint and Nintendo would sell boatloads more software on PC.. but Nintendo is Nintendo.. they can afford to do things differently because they have timeless IP, a fanbase that will support nearly anything they do, and games that already don't fall victim to the current AAA gaming pitfalls..

Emotional facts are facts damn it.🙃

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Silentchief
@Pedro said:
@Antwan3K said:

Jesus christ are you both that dumb?

The increase came because they added " Activision/Blizzard revenue " into their report and compared it to years before they were on the books. XBOX revenue was down until they added the world's largest third party publisher.

This isn't a strategy that will work for Playstation because they are backed by a 100 billion dollar company vs Xbox which was backed by a three trillion dollar company. I'm not denying that Microsoft will be fine because they can simply just buy up every publisher in existence but their attempt at a successful platform has failed. The Xbox brand is in fact dead and Microsoft has pivoted to releasing games on successful platforms like " Steam and " Playstation ". So yes Xbox Is in fact dying but Microsoft gaming will live on.

No they wouldn't. If Nintendo fans are so loyal no matter what then why did the Wii U fail miserably? Nintendo is where they are because they have quality exclusives that pull people to their terrible platform. Without those quality exclusives their platform would die and their value would be closer to a company like Capcom which is about 4x smaller than Nintendo. The same effect would happen to PlayStation. Without a successful platform they will have less money to fund games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pedro

@silentchief said:

The increase came because they added " Activision/Blizzard revenue " into their forecast and compared it to years before they were on the books. XBOX revenue was down until they added the world's largest third party publisher.

This isn't a strategy that will work for Playstation because they are backed by a 100 billion dollar company vs Xbox which was backed by a three trillion dollar company. I'm not denying that Microsoft will be fine because they can simply just buy up every publisher in existence but their attempt at a successful platform has failed. The Xbox brand is in fact dead and Microsoft has pivoted to releasing games on successful platforms like " Steam and " Playstation ".

No they wouldn't. If Nintendo fans are so loyal mo matter what why did the Wii U fail miserably. Nintendo is where they are because they have quality exclusives that pull people to their terrible platform. Without those quality exclusives their platform would die and there value would be closer to a company like Capcom which is about 4x smaller than Nintendo.

I am dumb because I don't sub to emotional facts? I accept. 🙃

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

The increase came because they added " Activision/Blizzard revenue " into their forecast and compared it to years before they were on the books. XBOX revenue was down until they added the world's largest third party publisher.

This isn't a strategy that will work for Playstation because they are backed by a 100 billion dollar company vs Xbox which was backed by a three trillion dollar company. I'm not denying that Microsoft will be fine because they can simply just buy up every publisher in existence but their attempt at a successful platform has failed. The Xbox brand is in fact dead and Microsoft has pivoted to releasing games on successful platforms like " Steam and " Playstation ".

No they wouldn't. If Nintendo fans are so loyal mo matter what why did the Wii U fail miserably. Nintendo is where they are because they have quality exclusives that pull people to their terrible platform. Without those quality exclusives their platform would die and there value would be closer to a company like Capcom which is about 4x smaller than Nintendo.

I am dumb because I don't sub to emotional facts? I accept. 🙃

No you're dumb because you failed to understand the 52% growth came from buying the largest third party publisher and comparing it to years before they were on the books. You don't even understand facts, you're not even capable of interpreting what's in front of your face.

They spent 75 billion dollars so they could report positive growth for one year. Will see how those reports look next year when they have a dead platform and four less studios.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:
@Antwan3K said:

The increase came because they added " Activision/Blizzard revenue " into their report and compared it to years before they were on the books. XBOX revenue was down until they added the world's largest third party publisher.

This isn't a strategy that will work for Playstation because they are backed by a 100 billion dollar company vs Xbox which was backed by a three trillion dollar company. I'm not denying that Microsoft will be fine because they can simply just buy up every publisher in existence but their attempt at a successful platform has failed. The Xbox brand is in fact dead and Microsoft has pivoted to releasing games on successful platforms like " Steam and " Playstation ". So yes Xbox Is in fact dying but Microsoft gaming will live on.

No they wouldn't. If Nintendo fans are so loyal no matter what then why did the Wii U fail miserably? Nintendo is where they are because they have quality exclusives that pull people to their terrible platform. Without those quality exclusives their platform would die and their value would be closer to a company like Capcom which is about 4x smaller than Nintendo. The same effect would happen to PlayStation. Without a successful platform they will have less money to fund games.

Xbox bought ABK to increase gaming revenue and that's exactly what happened..

You seem to admit that Xbox will be fine regardless yet at the same time claim Xbox is dead.. Pick a lane..

Nintendo would be just fine.. PC gamers would eat up that software like hotcakes and Nintendo fans will still buy their hardware..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pedro
@silentchief said:

No you're dumb because you failed to understand the 52% growth came from buying the largest third party publisher and comparing it to years before they were on the books. You don't even understand facts, you're not even capable of interpreting what's in front of your face.

They spent 75 billion dollars so they could report positive growth for one year. Will see how those reports look next year when they have a dead platform and four less studios.

Show me which comment mine reflected a stance on anything you just stated?

Try not to confirm my suspicions.🤭

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56361 Posts

@silentchief: Surprise they're going through it even though there's no book after Shogun. Let's hope they don't screw it up as S1 had a perfect start to finish.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silentchief
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:
@Antwan3K said:

You seem to admit that Xbox will be fine regardless yet at the same time claim Xbox is dead.. Pick a lane..

Nintendo would be just fine.. PC gamers would eat up that software like hotcakes and Nintendo fans will still buy their hardware..

Ok well gloat about it when " XBOX" increases the revenue not when they just compare it to the years before they owned ABK which is what they are doing now.

No. Xbox won't be fine it will be dead, Microsoft will be fine and they can rebrand accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even release an Xbox next gen and if they do it's only chance of success is if it can run Steam.

Yes they would be fine but there hardware would be dead. They would just be a Japanese 3rd party publisher..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Antwan3K
@silentchief said:
@Antwan3K said:
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:

Ok well gloat about it when " XBOX" increases the revenue not when they just compare it to the years before they owned ABK which is what they are doing now.

No. Xbox won't be fine it will be dead, Microsoft will be fine and they can rebrand accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even release an Xbox next gen and if they do it's only chance of success is if it can run Steam.

Yes they would be fine but there hardware would be dead. They would just be a Japanese 3rd party publisher..

you can try to move the goalpost all you want.. Xbox bought ABK to increase revenue and that's exactly what happened..

again, the "dead" Xbox brand is generating more gaming revenue than Nintendo, is only 1.55B behind PlayStation in gaming revenue, has more active users than both, and actually has major releases planned this year (unlike PlayStation)..

in your fantasyland, there isn't a console market without exclusives.. unfortunately, reality doesn't support that narrative..

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1188 Posts

I play only a few games multiplayer and when I do it is usually on a big screen and not when I am using a portable and this doesn't change anything for me.

I realize some games won't have multiplayer on Steam Deck already, this is one of them. It's unfortunate, but there is still multiplayer on many games, and with Valve working to improve the Steam Deck and its software, perhaps this could change in the future.

It's cool that the Steam Deck is big enough that this type of thing is on the radar for many. The device gets a lot of news stories and threads. A lot of people seem to love it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator

@girlusocrazy said:

I play only a few games multiplayer and when I do it is usually on a big screen and not when I am using a portable and this doesn't change anything for me.

I realize some games won't have multiplayer on Steam Deck already, this is one of them. It's unfortunate, but there is still multiplayer on many games, and with Valve working to improve the Steam Deck and its software, perhaps this could change in the future.

It's cool that the Steam Deck is big enough that this type of thing is on the radar for many. The device gets a lot of news stories and threads. A lot of people seem to love it.

I love the poo out of it... And it's also not perfect by any stretch, which makes me even more excited.